Metal Storm logo
H.R. Giger - Iconic Surrealist Artist Passes Away

Swiss renowned surrealist artist H.R. Giger has passed away. H. R. Giger is known for his sculptures, paintings and furniture, and also for designing the monster in the Alien movies, and several metal album covers like Celtic Frost's legendary To Mega Therion, and Carcass' Heartwork front album sculpture. More recently, his artwork was featured on Triptykon's new album Melana Chasmata and also Eparistera Daimones. Giger has died at the age of 74, as a result of injuries sustained in a fall, Swiss public television, SRF, has reported.

You can read Triptykon's heartfelt words about the artist on their Facebook page. Tom Warrior says: "Regardless of anything I may write about H.R. Giger, however, none of these words will ever be able to truly, accurately describe him as a person and as a friend. It is utterly inconceivable to imagine a world without his wit, his perception, his genius, his horizon, his determination, his humour, his friendship, and his immeasurable kindness. And yet, we are now left in exactly such a world."

Other album covers by H.R. Giger include Atrocity's Hallucinations, Danzig's Danzig III: How The Gods Kill, and many more.

Artwork for Triptykon's Melana Chasmata

Artwork for Celtic Frost's To Mega Therion

May he rest in peace.

In 1998, he opened his own museum, H.R. Giger Museum, in Gruyères in central Switzerland, which displays many of his own paintings, sculptures and film designs as well as his private art collection.

Source: swissinfo.ch
Band profile: Triptykon
Posted: 13.05.2014 by toxx

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 73   Visited by: 283 users
13.05.2014 - 13:06
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
I still can't believe it. What a horrible day for art... Just yesterday I was spinning my Triptykon cds and just marveling the brilliant artwork.
Well, at least his status will always remain nothing short of legendary.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
13.05.2014 - 13:21
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
He also deigned the aliens from Species. But yeah, he'll always be remembered through Alien.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
13.05.2014 - 14:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Why we have such news,he is artists, in that case how about some sound mixer, ingenier who dies, Lou Reed neews was rejected what colobrated whit Sucktallica... what does this guy did to be here?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
13.05.2014 - 14:36
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Bad English on 13.05.2014 at 14:28

Why we have such news,he is artists, in that case how about some sound mixer, ingenier who dies, Lou Reed neews was rejected what colobrated whit Sucktallica... what does this guy did to be here?

"This guy" created some of the most iconic and significant pieces of artwork in metal history. I agree, Lou Reed's news post should have been accepted, but you cannot deny the incredible significance of Giger in the metal community. The amount of artists who used his skills to represent them shows that perfectly.
Anyways, diverging from Bad English's unfounded ramblings: This really is a terrible day for the art community. I remember discovering Giger's work sometime when I was younger (like 10 or 11) and being completely repulsed, but then growing to appreciate and love it. I attribute his work to developing my artistic tastes in some way.
13.05.2014 - 14:40
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Alex F on 13.05.2014 at 14:36

"This guy" created some of the most iconic and significant pieces of artwork in metal history. I agree, Lou Reed's news post should have been accepted, but you cannot deny the incredible significance of Giger in the metal community. The amount of artists who used his skills to represent them shows that perfectly.
Anyways, diverging from Bad English's unfounded ramblings: This really is a terrible day for the art community. I remember discovering Giger's work sometime when I was younger (like 10 or 11) and being completely repulsed, but then growing to appreciate and love it. I attribute his work to developing my artistic tastes in some way.

its 1th time I heard this gy , so .... but still we have exeptions, like stabbings in metal gigs, but same time news are rejected when Paul Rogers and such artist what profile are on MS as well update enw album.... this guy , never heard of him same may of us never heard f him as well, IMO he is not so important
----

13.05.2014 - 14:43
Uldreth

what does this guy did to be here?

ur mum, K7

No, seriously, why does this bother you? Not interested in news, go on, that's it. Seriously these days I only see whining like this from you, no offense.
13.05.2014 - 14:43
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Bad English on 13.05.2014 at 14:40

its 1th time I heard this gy , so .... but still we have exeptions, like stabbings in metal gigs, but same time news are rejected when Paul Rogers and such artist what profile are on MS as well update enw album.... this guy , never heard of him same may of us never heard f him as well, IMO he is not so important

The fact that you don't care about the people behind the smaller aspects of metal (album art) doesn't mean he isn't important. Just stop whining about a news post about someone's passing who clearly had a large fanbase.
13.05.2014 - 14:44
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite

You had no problems when the artist Alf Børjesson died (Dimmu Borgir) and you submitted news for it.

We have also featured news for a mastering engineer who passed.

That is really unnecessary on your part.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
13.05.2014 - 14:55
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
never heard of him same may of us never heard f him as well, IMO he is not so important

Please just stop posting. What an attention-seeking moron.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.05.2014 - 15:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Ana swoops in and serves a classic beatdown to K7.

But yeah, I've seen a lot of surreal art over the years and Giger stands as amongst the most unique and impossible to replicate. He's left quite a legacy for himself. RIP.
13.05.2014 - 15:03
Warman
Erotic Stains
So sad. "To Mega Therion" has always been one of my favourite artworks.

Oh, and K7, so far I've seen two swedish metal magazines posting these news online and also Dimmu Borgir, Celtic Frost/Triptykon, Satyricon, Kreator, Anthrax, Deathstars and a lot of metal communities on the web, so it's certainly news for the metal music scene.
----
13.05.2014 - 15:07
Xylem
I loved Giger's work. It's sad to think that only a few months ago he'd just finished the artwork for Melana Chasmata. RIP.
13.05.2014 - 15:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Xylem on 13.05.2014 at 15:07

I loved Giger's work. It's sad to think that only a few months ago he'd just finished the artwork for Melana Chasmata. RIP.

Actually that artwork was finished way back in the 70s. Giger just allowed Celtic Frost to use it.
13.05.2014 - 15:17
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by [user id=4365] on 13.05.2014 at 15:12

Written by Xylem on 13.05.2014 at 15:07

Actually that artwork was finished way back in the 70s. Giger just allowed Celtic Frost to use it.

You are correct. Same with Triptykon's debut. As far as I know the collaboration between the Giger and Triptykon was supposed to be permanent... Which might have given us some artwork from the present time. Sadly, we won't be able to see them. :\
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.05.2014 - 15:25
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
K7 please fuck off and crawl back with your dead brain cells under that rock you came from. Giger was an immensely important and respected artist within metal, film, music at large, as can be witnessed when looking at the flood of news items and status updates on facebook paying tribute to Giger by metal musicians and metal fans alike
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2014 - 15:30
Xylem
Written by [user id=4365] on 13.05.2014 at 15:12

Ah fair enough, my mistake, I knew that was the case with To Mega Therion but not with Triptykon.

Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.05.2014 at 15:17

As far as I know the collaboration between the Giger and Triptykon was supposed to be permanent... Which might have given us some artwork from the present time. Sadly, we won't be able to see them. :\

Yeah, Fischer said in the post on Triptykon's Facebook page that it was actually Giger's idea to keep up the partnership, so he was probably up for creating some new stuff. The lost potential makes it all the worse.
13.05.2014 - 16:30
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
What a terrible way to wake up

As an artist, Giger has always held my deepest respects for consistently pushing limits within his circles, and although I'm not a painter myself, he's more than inspired me to challenge myself with my own work, and for that he will deeply be missed. As some of the older artistic titans like David Lynch, Ralph Bakshi, and Alejandro Jodorowsky age on as well, I think we might have to accept the fact that sooner or later, the creative godfathers are going to be gone. I can only hope that a younger generation of radicals, myself included, can carry on the torch of Giger and them with stuff that's equally as honest and uncompromising in its delivery.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
13.05.2014 - 16:32
mz
I just recently got familiar with his works and was wondering if anyone is going to be as good as him.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
13.05.2014 - 16:34
BlueMobius
Account deleted
What a loss. He was a great artist and one whose works I immensely respected. My sister-in-law had never seen "Alien," so I sat it and "Aliens" out last night to let her borrow.
13.05.2014 - 16:47
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.05.2014 at 15:25

K7 please fuck off and crawl back with your dead brain cells under that rock you came from. Giger was an immensely important and respected artist within metal, film, music at large, as can be witnessed when looking at the flood of news items and status updates on facebook paying tribute to Giger by metal musicians and metal fans alike

I really find it astounding that he had never heard of Giger. Either he doesn't actually care about the history of metal, or he's just incredibly forgetful.
Seriously, I've been listening to music while refreshing my memory on some of Giger's magnificent creations, and he really was a legend.
13.05.2014 - 17:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
IMO he is not so important

Firstly, you're an idiot. Thankfully others have spent more time and effort to explain why so I don't have to.

Secondly, this sucks. Not only is Giger a legend and icon as an artist in general, but he also serves as an inspiration to countless aspiring artists to this day and will likely continue to inspire future generations with his work.

And while all that amazing artistic talent is being put on display, you'll fade into obscurity in time with your only legacy being that you had the most comments on a metal forum. IMO you are not so important.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
13.05.2014 - 17:19
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by Troy Killjoy on 13.05.2014 at 17:08

And while all that amazing artistic talent is being put on display, you'll fade into obscurity in time with your only legacy being that you had the most comments on a metal forum. IMO you are not so important.

Holy shit Troy....this is beautiful
I think I love you
13.05.2014 - 17:20
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by mz on 13.05.2014 at 16:32
was wondering if anyone is going to be as good as him.

Perhaps Beksinski I think, but actually Beksinski already passed away in 2005.
----
The Fangirl.
13.05.2014 - 17:21
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by angel. on 13.05.2014 at 17:20

Perhaps Beksinski I think.

I prefer the work of Beksinski, but the inspiration from Giger is pretty much unmatched in the metal community.
13.05.2014 - 17:23
angel.
Evil Butterfly
Written by Alex F on 13.05.2014 at 17:21

I prefer the work of Beksinski, but the inspiration from Giger is pretty much unmatched in the metal community.

I prefer Beksisnki's works too, and he already passed away in 2005 but I just meant he could be the only artist who might be comparable to Giger.
----
The Fangirl.
13.05.2014 - 17:44
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by BloodTears on 13.05.2014 at 14:44

You had no problems when the artist Alf Børjesson died (Dimmu Borgir) and you submitted news for it.

To be honnest I dont remeber .... but those were well known news, but this is like small Chila twm major dies comparing whit M Teacher died , if you get my point
----

13.05.2014 - 17:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Marcel - not realy non of his artworks and paintings are great, there are better artworks.. I never would pay for those and hang on the wall
Warman - metal magazines needs to write something , to get money
----

13.05.2014 - 17:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 13.05.2014 at 17:44

Written by BloodTears on 13.05.2014 at 14:44

To be honnest I dont remeber .... but those were well known news, but this is like small Chila twm major dies comparing whit M Teacher died , if you get my point

wtf? You really did suffer oxygen loss at birth.

HR Giger is way way way way way better known and more important than Alf Borjesson will ever be, both to metal and art outside of metal. And also when compared to George Martino. Giger is the well known person whereas the others are in comparison unknown.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2014 - 17:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Giger btw got an Oscar for the art direction of Alien. The Dimmu Borgir guy might at most get laughed at for his horrendous work for Dimmu Borgir covers.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

13.05.2014 - 17:54
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Marcel - yes and I was born whit out brains as well ... and there are better paintings as this guy, I even didnt know his name before those news, I knew those bands what use his artworks, but his name, I dont pay attention, one norbegian artist what paintings was used by some BM bands are better, more ''realistic'' this sirrealism is not my shit
if all would like as you likem then there wont be ''democracy'' it would be a church
----

Hits total: 7884 | This month: 10