03. Circle Girl
04. Your Skin Won't Hide You
05. Digging The Sky
06. Ever
07. Let It Fall

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
In 2014, the Belgians in Emptiness threw out Nothing But The Whole, a thundering album of black and death metal that combined the two quite seamlessly, with a delicious sense of atmosphere to boot. Being almost universally praised in underground metal circles, how exactly does the band follow up such a powerhouse release? Easy: by going for something different.

Read more ››
published 24.01.2017 | Comments (22)

Found in 16 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 39   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 336 users
18.10.2016 - 20:17
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Listening to the last albums a lot lately, my expectations are sky high for this eventhough I have no idea what this is gonna be as they are not a band which is easy to predict. Have a lot to live up to, at any rate.

Here's the one song out so far.

17.11.2016 - 18:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Another new track.

Setting myself up for disappointment now. First track was ok but this new one sounds kind of naff for most of it.
04.12.2016 - 23:04
koob
Wasn't impressed at first but now I can't stop listening to these two song, there's something mesmerizing about them... I'm so hyped for this album!
13.12.2016 - 18:18
VIG
Account deleted

I like this track more than the other ones.
15.12.2016 - 00:54
VIG
Account deleted
Probably my most anticipated release for 2017
15.12.2016 - 02:24
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Album of the year 2017. I can see it. I can feel it.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
22.12.2016 - 19:10
Zap
Only listened to one preview track but from what I heard live at EMM (which was mostly centered around this release, they only played one song from the previous album) this album will be quite different from Nothing Butt The Hole. When NBTW came out their live shows were incredible, but this last time was slightly disappointing. They had a third guitarist who also did keyboards and effects and all that and it just wasn't working for me. I was so much more impressed when they were creating the music they did with just guitars rather than having an extra dude up on stage doing extra effects. It felt a bit like overkill.

I like what I heard from Not For Music, but I don't think it really is on the same level as its predecessor. It will be a nice ambient album though, not expecting much metal at this point (partly because Marcel told me not to.)
23.12.2016 - 00:21
Rating: 9
mz
Duno. all of the three released tracks had been pretty metal to me.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
10.01.2017 - 21:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Pretty decent overall, but I find it meanders an awful lot and often comes across as a less successful 'Silhouette In Splinters'. 'It Might Be' is probably the best track on the record, along with 'Let It Fall' which is a pretty interesting finisher. The rest all seem flawed or underbaked in some way. Still think the vocals are silly though.

3rdWorld will probably say it's fun.
10.01.2017 - 21:18
koob
Yeah, pretty decent, it's too bad most of the songs ending are great but end too quick. It sounded a bit empti(huehue), I'm a little disappointed...
11.01.2017 - 20:12
Zap
Pretty much exactly what I expected.
13.01.2017 - 10:02
mz
So, what I was thinking turned out to be true, unfortunately.
Obviously, Emptiness is not meant to play "fast" , " in your face" metal. It is not surprising that the best track is the opener, and the weakest one is the closer: the opener employs a very subtle approach, while the closer, especially in the first half or so, has this very chaotic, distorted guitar going on that just does not set any mood.
There are more details into this than NBtW, but maybe that is the problem.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
15.01.2017 - 02:49
Rating: 8
InnerSelf
proofread free
It's a different vibe from Nothing but the Whole, equally impressive though! I'm really enjoying it upon repeated listens.
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
20.01.2017 - 00:37
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Year started well.
----
20.01.2017 - 01:14
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
These guys have it right. Forget what everyone else is doing. Forget what is expected of us. Let's just do what we do. Fantastic album.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
20.01.2017 - 23:19
Joe Zombie
Exactly what I expected from these guys. Solid album, but I think I do like their last one more. I'll give this a couple more spins.
23.01.2017 - 23:39
VIG
Account deleted
Written by [user id=4365] on 10.01.2017 at 21:03

Pretty decent overall, but I find it meanders an awful lot and often comes across as a less successful 'Silhouette In Splinters'. 'It Might Be' is probably the best track on the record, along with 'Let It Fall' which is a pretty interesting finisher. The rest all seem flawed or underbaked in some way. Still think the vocals are silly though.

3rdWorld will probably say it's fun.

I really didn't like this. I thought i liked the singles, but now that i listen to the album i only said that because it was Emptiness, the band that released the masterpiece Nothing But The Whole a couple years ago. It was a boring album, and they shouldn't have made it so fast. It's not as horrible as some of the other shit i've heard, though.
23.01.2017 - 23:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by [user id=159927] on 23.01.2017 at 23:39

I really didn't like this. I thought i liked the singles, but now that i listen to the album i only said that because it was Emptiness, the band that released the masterpiece Nothing But The Whole a couple years ago. It was a boring album, and they shouldn't have made it so fast. It's not as horrible as some of the other shit i've heard, though.

I think it could have done with a bit longer in the oven. Refined some bits, cut some bits away and just generally make it more consistent and something that works as a whole.
23.01.2017 - 23:46
VIG
Account deleted
Written by [user id=4365] on 23.01.2017 at 23:41

Written by [user id=159927] on 23.01.2017 at 23:39

I think it could have done with a bit longer in the oven. Refined some bits, cut some bits away and just generally make it more consistent and something that works as a whole.

that's a good way to put it, and they really should have done that, it could've been better. I think fucking "Twiggy" rushed the production because he's used to making fucking guns and roses albums and shit.
24.01.2017 - 01:11
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Could have been, would have been, should have been... basically what they did here was take some of those slower, more atmospheric moments from NbtW and went much, much deeper with them. No metals? No, not really. Not fast and in your face? No, not really. But a bold experiment with a new approach that's both inspired and (for the most part) successful? You bet.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
24.01.2017 - 01:34
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Successful
----
24.01.2017 - 01:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Ideas > Execution I'd say.
24.01.2017 - 08:04
Paz
Elite
Written by Auntie Sahar on 24.01.2017 at 01:11

Could have been, would have been, should have been...

It sounds like a new tune from Netra
24.01.2017 - 20:48
Rating: 7
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Contributor
Would I dig this shit? Anyone? Should I even bother?
----
rekt
25.01.2017 - 08:16
Paz
Elite
Written by tea[m]ster on 24.01.2017 at 20:48

Would I dig this shit? Anyone? Should I even bother?

You should give it a try It's pretty original stuff... Like post-punk meets black & death.

I love the fact they don't look back and always trying something new. 8,5/10
28.01.2017 - 16:42
joshsteph
This being categorized as "blackened death metal" made me expect something else than the sound meeting my ears. I didn't regret any second listening to this album tho, it's a very solid work. It's more progressive rock, alternative, experimental than what "blackened death metal" would sound to me. If you're into dark, atmospheric, experimental stuff, then you will treasure this release for sure.
29.01.2017 - 22:56
VileVick-Bryant
Not bad I like this album and Nothing But The Whole Pretty good stuff.
31.01.2017 - 21:32
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Multiple spins in i'm really enjoying it. enough cool shit seems to be going on in DM (yes, stuck in '89-93 dude appreciates some of the chaotic new stuff) that the departure into darker if less metallic waters is appreciated.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
29.03.2017 - 22:53
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Auntie Sahar on 24.01.2017 at 01:11

But a bold experiment with a new approach that's both inspired and (for the most part) successful? You bet.

That's "Nothing But The Whole".

In comparison, I would say "NBTW" was better produced than what they try to did with this new disc(even new direction?!). Though I don't find any single "dull" moment here which took me off the flow. Another great qualitative material which had loads of fun for us. Just like previous releases, couple of spins are mandatory to digest it.
02.05.2017 - 15:10
Paz
Elite
Where is the dislike button?

Hits total: 8504 | This month: 23