Metal Storm logo
Metal Storm Awards 2016 - Results Are In!

Like all good things must, the Metal Storm Awards 2016 have come to a close. Set your pencils down and prepare to cry about the results; thanks for playing, and we hope you'll join us again next year. When we opened this edition of the Awards, we promised you more metal than ever before, and you threw it right back at us; 2016 may not have been the most colossal MSAs in terms of voter participation, but we certainly blew 2015 out of the water, and that sure feels good. That's not to say that the competitions were any fairer than usual; most categories had only one real contender, or came down to two or three obvious choices. Nonetheless, we gave a lot of bands a lot of attention, and that's why we're here. Let's count off the big kahunas.

Alcest picked up Metalgaze and ran with it, leaving the next-biggest draw in the dust 300 votes behind. Ulver swamped Ambient/Drone/Noise, and Apothecary is pissed. Transcendevin Profoundsend transcended his prog compatriots, Moonsorrow completely folked over the rest of its category, and Anaal Nathrakh CTRL+ALT+DELeted all competition in Industrial. Trees Of Eternity crushed Gothic just as badly as their music crushes our souls, and Vektor thoroughly thrashed Thrash. Alternative very nearly fell to The SLoT, an unknown contender, in a stunning upset, but when all was said and done, Gojira stuck to the roof like a ceiling. Believe it or not, for the first time in Metal Storm Awards history, the Melodeath category played host to a serious competition. 2016 was truly a banner year for melodeath, with a great deal of the genre heavyweights and all the past winners throwing down a massive metal gauntlet. No doubt some of us placed bets on who would come out victorious among names like Be'lakor, Dark Tranquillity, Amon Amarth, Insomnium, Omnium Gatherum, and those other guys. Apologies to Death Grips, who did not win any of the categories they were written in for (all of them) with the name of their new album misspelled. Brilliant.

Speaking of spelling errors, let's discuss Metallica's new album. Hardwired... To Self-Destruct (note the format carefully) was written into Thrash, Biggest Surprise, and Biggest Letdown with so many variations that BitterCOld's head exploded. This symphony of self-destruction received recognition in Biggest Surprise as "Metallica - The Number Of Different Spellings Submitted For Hardwired etc." Ultimately, the album itself did take home Biggest Surprise, despite being the most boring and predictable Metallica album in forever (come on guys - Zeal And Ardor? Avenged Sevenfold? Babymetal? Schammasch? Hell, even Megadeth? Finsterforst released an EP called #‎YØLØ‬. Not surprising enough for you?).

Best Cover saw a write-in vote for Oceans Of Slumber's version of The Moody Blues' classic "Knights In White Satin." It's, uh, "Nights," folks. The Knights In White Satin are Rhapsody Of Fire. Now, the Cover cat would have gone to Disturbed for their electrifying version of "The Sound Of Silence"... if they had not already won last year. Because that came out in 2015. At least it was more recent than Death's version of "Painkiller," which received a few votes, and, yes, should definitely win Best Cover Song of 1998. You guys. Please. Ultimately, Anaal Nathrakh's slaughterrific rampage through Iron Maiden's classic "Powerslave" took the cake (and our souls).

Moving on to Biggest Letdown, it's clear that we need to have a serious talk. In Flames have already won Biggest Letdown THREE TIMES, the first of those being in 2004 (at our very first Metal Storm Awards 12 years ago), and even when they didn't win, their albums still received heaps of votes. They aren't coming back. Deal with it. Stop writing them in for Biggest Letdown. Thank goodness you guys apparently hate Opeth now, too, or else we'd look like idiots for handing out another award to In Flames as if we didn't expect them to release something mediocre (which very much negates the point of the category). Metal Storm's venerable staff itself received a nomination, apparently for our choice of nominees. Hey, it's not OUR fault that Babymetal got in. Actually, maybe it is. The best entry, though, definitely has to be "The Place Where I Work - My Shit Job." That's rough, buddy. Best Drama... Man, we're just falling apart here. Rhapsody Of Fire's eight separate nominations were a sight to behold (especially "stop stop its already dead"), but not as much as Wintersun's 12. Yes, 12 different varieties of write-in vote. Still not enough to unseat Agalloch's impressive ego-plosion, but that's one nomination for every year that Wintersun has been insufferable.

Well, that's enough rating, berating, commentating, and exacerbating for now. Go on and take a gander at the results, if you haven't already, and be sure to tell us what you think (in a civilized manner). We had a lot of fun putting this together and reaping the rewards; let's hope next year's ceremony can be just as grand. We'll see you all then.

You can find the results here.

Metal Storm Staff

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 01.03.2017 by D.T. Metal

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 54   Visited by: 564 users
01.03.2017 - 00:32
roeder
Not surprised that Inquisition won the black metal category. But it still hurts...

Also, in a perfect world Howls of Ebb would have won the death metal category.
01.03.2017 - 00:38
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
As a head's up, we are aware of whatever is glitching artwork. the boss man has been notified.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.03.2017 - 01:56
MetalManic
I skip these and DIG IN to the staff picks. My favorite last minute hangers. I've betrothed many wonderful bands via this method. Thanks for everything in 2016 MS Staff.
01.03.2017 - 02:39
mrchrister
I just want to give a quick shout-out to the entire staff at MS for all their work. I'm a daily visitor to the site -- perhaps even an addict, one might say -- and I sincerely look forward to these awards every year, anticipating them for months in advance. This year, although not all my picks won (especially the write-ins but, what the hell, those were just to stroke my misguided, "I-know-I-know-better-than-you" ego anyway), thanks to you I've been turned on to heretofore-unheard-by-me, amazing music by the likes of Arrm, Horseback, Triggerman, Crippled Black Phoenix, Volbeat, Wo Fat, Ortega, Orbit Culture, Oak Pantheon, Wayfarer, Mouth of the Architect, Witherscape, Gorguts, The Levitation Hex, The Algoruth, MASTER BOOT RECORD, Sylvaine, Astronoid, Nevoa, Exmortus, Gygax, Saor, Thy Catalfaque, Todtgelichter, Throes of Dawn, and many, many others. You guys are awesome. Keep it up. And thanks!!!
01.03.2017 - 05:14
3rdWorld
China was a neat
Ya it really is weird that how the votes count is very low this year. Maybe the site redesign/issues were one of the reasons.
01.03.2017 - 09:08
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
It's a shame the write-ins get wiped when the results come out - those are a great point of reference for finding new music. Luckily I took a screenshot of each, but still.
01.03.2017 - 09:16
Maco
Pvt Funderground
Let the whining start.
----
Crackhead Megadeth reigns supreme.
01.03.2017 - 10:18
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by 3rdWorld on 01.03.2017 at 05:14

Ya it really is weird that the votes count is very low this year. Maybe the site redesign/issues were one of the reasons.

I can think of a couple of other reasons, best not to mention them though to avoid the rage
01.03.2017 - 11:39
Panterica
Lol what happened to the albums' thumbnails? It's like Babaymetal took over every chart.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/
01.03.2017 - 12:27
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Feels bad when the worst album from a category wins just because the band is the most popular.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
01.03.2017 - 12:58
mz
I'm offended at Ulver's vote. For such a niche category with all the obscure, original and interesting bands,Ulver receives one order of magnitude more votes than the other competitors.
Maybe not surprise, though.
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
01.03.2017 - 13:56
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
How come Avantasia's symphonic votes weren't wiped? I thought those ones usually were?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
01.03.2017 - 14:08
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by LeKiwi on 01.03.2017 at 09:08

It's a shame the write-ins get wiped when the results come out - those are a great point of reference for finding new music. Luckily I took a screenshot of each, but still.

Yeah I think they should list everything there just for completion
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
01.03.2017 - 14:45
Written by mrchrister on 01.03.2017 at 02:39

I just want to give a quick shout-out to the entire staff at MS for all their work. I'm a daily visitor to the site -- perhaps even an addict, one might say -- and I sincerely look forward to these awards every year, anticipating them for months in advance. This year, although not all my picks won (especially the write-ins but, what the hell, those were just to stroke my misguided, "I-know-I-know-better-than-you" ego anyway), thanks to you I've been turned on to heretofore-unheard-by-me, amazing music by the likes of Arrm, Horseback, Triggerman, Crippled Black Phoenix, Volbeat, Wo Fat, Ortega, Orbit Culture, Oak Pantheon, Wayfarer, Mouth of the Architect, Witherscape, Gorguts, The Levitation Hex, The Algoruth, MASTER BOOT RECORD, Sylvaine, Astronoid, Nevoa, Exmortus, Gygax, Saor, Thy Catalfaque, Todtgelichter, Throes of Dawn, and many, many others. You guys are awesome. Keep it up. And thanks!!!

Totally agree with you mate, except that this year I haven't had enough time yet to listen to all these great and (for me) unknown bands. The only exception is öOoOoOoOoOo a.k.a. Chenille, which I discovered thanks to "debut album" cathegory and is totally out of my genre range, but I really like the album!
Let's just hope that there will be more bands like that.
01.03.2017 - 14:59
Eternity'sChild
Written by RaduP on 01.03.2017 at 12:27

Feels bad when the worst album from a category wins just because the band is the most popular.

Surprised? Happens every year in nearly every category. But the good thing is, that the actual ranking in the end isn't really the point of the awards (rather the whole spectrum of different bands and albums), right?

Thanks a lot for another great February - Metalstorm awards are probably my personal music-highlight of the year. As always, I discovered a lot of great new stuff I haven't heard before (namely Départe, Votum, Wormrot, Aleph, öOoOoOoOoOo, re-discovered Monolithe, ... and so on). I felt that the prog-category was really tough to vote this time with Haken, Devin, Dissona, Votum, ... In the end I gave my vote to Haken, but I can't really complain about Devin winning. Unfortunately I didn't get around to listen to everything and therefore vote in every category... will still work through some categories I missed (Extreme Doom, Sludge/Stoner and probably Ambient/Drone/Noise).
01.03.2017 - 16:13
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by LeKiwi on 01.03.2017 at 09:08

Those that crack the top 10 are kept. Those that don't are lost.

The screenies should be funny, though. Amazing how many write-ins we had from all over tha thave nothing to do with 2016. Disturbed would have won cover song for a track they released in August 2015. Meanwhile Death's cover of Painkiller, older than a good chunk of people on the site, had like 5.

Interested if you snapped them before I consolidated/merged most the Metallica "biggest surprise" votes? I think at one point there was like 15 different spellings/entries.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.03.2017 - 16:26
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Meh, welcome to the MSA basically. Ulver winning Ambient/Drone, Inquisition winning BM, and motherfucking Fallujah sweeping death metal all totally suck. Death Grips not winning any category as a write in totally sucks as well.

Y u do this u fukz
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
01.03.2017 - 16:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Ah, Ye Olde complaints about the most popular bands winning again. Award for "Most Consistent Moaning" go to the MS populace
01.03.2017 - 17:36
EricAxel36
Insomnium best Melodeath? Such a meh album
01.03.2017 - 18:09
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.03.2017 at 16:26

Y u do this u fukz

I believe mrchrister answered that above.

while the little bands didn't win, they got a little more light shone on them and maybe a few more found them.
----

01.03.2017 - 19:01
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Auntie Sahar on 01.03.2017 at 16:26

Meh, welcome to the MSA basically. Y u do this u fukz

Thats what I thought when I saw the bands nominated
01.03.2017 - 20:58
Paz
Elite
Written by [user id=162327] on 01.03.2017 at 10:18

I can think of a couple of other reasons, best not to mention them though to avoid the rage

Written by [user id=162327] on 01.03.2017 at 19:01

You're right. Our tastes suck and all the nominees are crap.
01.03.2017 - 21:14
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Written by Paz on 01.03.2017 at 20:58

Written by [user id=162327] on 01.03.2017 at 10:18

Written by [user id=162327] on 01.03.2017 at 19:01

You're right. Our tastes suck and all the nominees are crap.

Meh, welcome to the MSA basically. Y u do this u fukz
01.03.2017 - 21:14
nikarg
Staff
The SloT is the joke of MS for the last three weeks. Loads of accounts created by the same person around 9 and 10 feb., rating all their albums with 10s and most probably voting them for best alternative.
01.03.2017 - 21:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by nikarg on 01.03.2017 at 21:14

The SloT is the joke of MS for the last three weeks. Loads of accounts created by the same person around 9 and 10 feb., rating all their albums with 10s and most probably voting them for best alternative.

or the band urged their fans to register and vote. Virgin Black was losing to Mar de Grises "Draining The Waterheart" about a decade ago, by about 60 votes with 48 hours to go. Encouraged their fans to register, vote... and won by 100+. It happens. Every band can have their fans mobilize.
----

01.03.2017 - 23:01
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Since the Best Cover category got a paragraph of its own concerning what came out when, I'm going to be a stickler and state that Metallica's "Ronnie Rising Medley" (which came in 5th this year) was originally released on a Dio tribute album in 2014.
02.03.2017 - 02:07
mrchrister
Quote:
Totally agree with you mate, except that this year I haven't had enough time yet to listen to all these great and (for me) unknown bands. The only exception is öOoOoOoOoOo a.k.a. Chenille, which I discovered thanks to "debut album" cathegory and is totally out of my genre range, but I really like the album!
Let's just hope that there will be more bands like that.

Haha -- yeah, i tried that one. I do like "crazy" sometimes but that one was a bit too much even for me By the way, I see you're from Slovakia. Byval som v Liptovskom Mikulasi Rospraval som dobre po slovensky ale uz nie :/ (It was a long time ago...)
02.03.2017 - 07:52
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Written by BitterCOld on 01.03.2017 at 16:13

Those that crack the top 10 are kept. Those that don't are lost.

The screenies should be funny, though. Amazing how many write-ins we had from all over tha thave nothing to do with 2016. Disturbed would have won cover song for a track they released in August 2015. Meanwhile Death's cover of Painkiller, older than a good chunk of people on the site, had like 5.

Interested if you snapped them before I consolidated/merged most the Metallica "biggest surprise" votes? I think at one point there was like 15 different spellings/entries.

Nah, I didn't get the chance That said, if you sift through the bullshit you do find a few gems
02.03.2017 - 10:41
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Written by RaduP on 01.03.2017 at 12:27

Well, if say 10% of the folks that heard an album voted for it, the band that has 1000 folks listening to them will always beat out the band with 200 listeners. Technically, bands win by being popular, but not in the way that people usually say.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
02.03.2017 - 18:47
Dream shit theater - astonishingly boredom is one of the shittiest albums by far. Only lulu can beat it.

Hits total: 8644 | This month: 17