04. Knights Templar Stand
05. Three Years Of Famine
06. Botox Implosion
07. In Blazing Oceans
08. The Nameless Elite
09. Yield Or Die
10. Necroceros

Additional info
Recorded at Tom Meier Studio as well as at The Mörserstudio.
Mixed/mastered by Sebastian Levermann at Greenman Studios.
Cover artwork by Axel Hermann.

Staff review by
omne metallum
Rating:
Is it too early to talk about AOTY contenders?

Read more ››
published 31.01.2021 | Comments (6)

Found in 43 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 31   Visited by: 752 users
23.01.2021 - 02:45
nikarg
Staff
Written by slaytan on 23.01.2021 at 02:19

голландцы радуют

Welcome to the website. Please write in English.

The album is a total banger.
23.01.2021 - 23:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Just finished my first spin now (I quit the live concert stream they did because I thought the sound was shitty).

It's a solid Asphyx album for sure. Everything you expect from the band is here. nothing surprising but just solid death metal with vocals which are still among the best in the entire genre.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
24.01.2021 - 01:04
nikarg
Staff
I thought it was a great show considering there was no audience. I had listened to the new album twice before this live streaming and it also sounds pretty strong live. The new tracks are really good but after 01:49:17 you get the title tracks of the first two albums or, in other words, the pinnacle of doom death metal.

(Starts at 00:39:00)
24.01.2021 - 07:23
Rating: 8
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
It always takes me a minute to adjust to van Drunen's unique vocal style and not just immediately switch to something else when his geriatric shouting cuts through the background noise, but the music is always worth the effort. Much like with Hail Of Bullets, I have to remind myself to dig in and wait for it all to come together before writing it off.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.01.2021 - 15:40
Heavy Metta
I'm really looking forward to getting my copy. Their livestream last night was great.
----
Last Gig: Max & Igor Cavalera (w/ Conan)
Upcoming (maybe): In Flames, Parkway Drive, Bloodstock Festival, Arctangent Festival, Damnation Festival 2021, Meshuggah, and 2 Orange Goblin livestreams
24.01.2021 - 17:15
Metren
Dreadrealm
As an Asphyx noob, I find this album immensly enjoyable. From the riffs to the vocals to the production, it's excellent; makes me want to check out the rest of their discography as well.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
24.01.2021 - 19:00
Rating: 9
JavierPaper
This album kickass!
25.01.2021 - 02:56
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.01.2021 at 07:23

It always takes me a minute to adjust to van Drunen's unique vocal style and not just immediately switch to something else when his geriatric shouting cuts through the background noise, but the music is always worth the effort. Much like with Hail Of Bullets, I have to remind myself to dig in and wait for it all to come together before writing it off.

Huh, for me his vocals are one of the key, selling factors in Asphyx. Love them and I'm impressed how his vocals sound the exact same from the 1991 debut The Rack.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
25.01.2021 - 03:12
Rating: 7
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
They definitely are unique. They sound almost manic, but borderline frail depending on the application. With regard to my last few album comments, I'm glad it's not some guy going "ughhhhh" for 40 minutes.

Listening to Botox Implosion now and I'm enjoying it.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.01.2021 - 08:35
Archie 666
Written by Metren on 24.01.2021 at 17:15

As an Asphyx noob, I find this album immensly enjoyable. From the riffs to the vocals to the production, it's excellent; makes me want to check out the rest of their discography as well.

Listen to 'Deathhammer' first. You'll love it if you like this one.
25.01.2021 - 09:38
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Metren on 24.01.2021 at 17:15

makes me want to check out the rest of their discography as well.

I know folks recommending you for "Deathhammer", but my suggestion will come down to this - just warm up a bit with initial albums released in the 90s before listening to their career-best work.
25.01.2021 - 19:43
Sentenced Odiin
gothic.moorion@gmail.com
First Asphyx album with the same line up as on their last. Gigantic death metal over here, and this my type of death!
----
Life has given me much, maybe taken more...
28.01.2021 - 20:29
Rating: 7
sgtrobo
Asphyx does chug as good or better than any other DM bands out there. Bolt Thrower and (When they do it) Immolation are the competitors
31.01.2021 - 07:54
tintinb
Really great death metal album. The guitars, vocals and drums all of them are perfectly on cue. Those riffs are tasty.
----
Leeches everywhere.
01.02.2021 - 11:39
gavdann
This is a terrific album.
03.02.2021 - 11:50
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good death metal riffing, sortha energy. This is not that DM band what dominates whit triple bass and sortha non sence troth cum out grows, This is guitar based, instruments bases DM, you hear guitars, bass, drums all in one and growl vocals as DM has. Good quallity, production, another band what continues where they left in 1th album. I dont hear those small doom touches as few DM can mix sometimes, but I dont mind, solid good album.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.02.2021 - 15:12
Rating: 6
Scintil
Enjoyable, inoffensive, easy to listen album with good production, no wonder it's popular right now. It was my first time with Asphyx, and I'm glad I discovered them. Now I'm coming back to their first two albums, and they're both an absolute DM classics.
08.03.2021 - 01:05
Rating: 10
EternumBleed
Better than Deathammer.
08.03.2021 - 08:38
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by EternumBleed on 08.03.2021 at 01:05

Better than Deathammer.

Better than "Death... The Brutal Way" and "Incoming Death" - certainly not better than "Deathhammer".

Well, I'd only suggest you now listen deeply to see the difference and I think you might reach the point.
07.04.2021 - 10:34
Rating: 10
EternumBleed
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 08.03.2021 at 08:38

Written by EternumBleed on 08.03.2021 at 01:05

Better than Deathammer.

Better than "Death... The Brutal Way" and "Incoming Death" - certainly not better than "Deathhammer".

Well, I'd only suggest you now listen deeply to see the difference and I think you might reach the point.

Written by EternumBleed on 07.04.2021 at 10:33

I listened to their discographies 2 times and Deathhammer 4 times with great pleasure and attention.You are not person who the teach me point.
20.04.2021 - 21:29
The Galactician
I've been listening to a lot of Bolt Thrower for about the twelfth time in my life and saw these guys listed at the top of similar artists here. Really surprised with this many albums that I never listened to them before.

I definitely hear the similarities in style, riffs, and songwriting. Excited to dig into the rest of their catalog.
07.05.2021 - 12:47
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by The Galactician on 20.04.2021 at 21:29

I've been listening to a lot of Bolt Thrower for about the twelfth time in my life and saw these guys listed at the top of similar artists here. Really surprised with this many albums that I never listened to them before.

I definitely hear the similarities in style, riffs, and songwriting. Excited to dig into the rest of their catalog.

Same here, I'm a big fan of Bolt Thrower, so I was pleasantly surprised how similar they both are when I heard this one.
08.05.2021 - 16:08
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
I'm loving this album, loving the riffs and drumming and vocals too, they do sound a lot like Bolt Thrower, but I'm not complaining about that. I need to hear more from them, What are their best albums anyone?
11.05.2021 - 06:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 08.05.2021 at 16:08

I'm loving this album, loving the riffs and drumming and vocals too, they do sound a lot like Bolt Thrower, but I'm not complaining about that. I need to hear more from them, What are their best albums anyone?

You really can't go wrong with anything they've done since their last hiatus/breakup/whatever. There's mild fluctuations in terms of quality across their discography but overall they're a pretty solid, no-frills act. Their back catalog gets a bit dicey particularly if you aren't fond of the old school sound, whereas their rejuvenated take on their own style post-2007 is easier to stomach.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
11.05.2021 - 15:26
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.05.2021 at 06:08

Written by AndyMetalFreak on 08.05.2021 at 16:08

You really can't go wrong with anything they've done since their last hiatus/breakup/whatever. There's mild fluctuations in terms of quality across their discography but overall they're a pretty solid, no-frills act. Their back catalog gets a bit dicey particularly if you aren't fond of the old school sound, whereas their rejuvenated take on their own style post-2007 is easier to stomach.

Thanks it sounds like I will much prefer their post 2007 albums more than theirearly work, I've started by listening to Death the Brutal way, and I really like the album, it has a perfect balance of melody and brutality, and I like how the pace in the riffs change into being boarderline Doom metal in some of thier songs. It's much like Necroceros in how the music is kept relatively simple, but with that heavy effective guitar tone. The albums from 2007 onwards seem very consistent in the ratings, so I can see myself listening to more of their albums.
14.05.2021 - 19:33
metalbrat
Melodic and slight doom touch. I loved the vocals. Like the reviewer said, if this is not the vocal for metal, then none is. Superb album.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
18.10.2021 - 12:02
Rufus Valentine
Account deleted
This record kicks my ass so hard I'm literally chewing on my spleen right now. Probably AOTY for me.
01.02.2022 - 01:48
F3ynman
Nocturnal Bro
Contributor
Absolutely incredible! Surely the death metal AOTY!
The Bolt Thrower influences are very apparent here (especially on the song "Molten Black Earth") - which is why I love this album!

I quickly got used to the strained vocals, and i find they fit very well with the intense atmosphere here.
So many varied badass riffs on here - slower doom chugging, super fast thrashy elements and a phenomenal melodic instrumental section in "Three Years of Famine"!

This is simply a fantastic release, keeping the metal flame alive in 2021!
08.02.2022 - 19:57
Dylan 1974
Fucking album of the year right here, along with Flotsam and Jetsam & Helloween. Old guard reminding the young uns how to do metal.
16.05.2022 - 16:49
Gag reflex
Their best record. Period
----
'The thoughts of dead babies
Wiped away with my semen'

Hits total: 11906 | This month: 43