06. A Kupolaváros Titka
07. Kiscsikó (Irénke Dala)
08. Piros-Sárga
09. Vadak (Az Átváltozás Rítusai)
10. Zúzmara

The Best Avantgarde / Experimental Metal Album Of 2021
Top 20 albums of 2021: 4

Additional info
Mixed by Tamás Kátai in Budapest, Hungary, January, 2021.
Mastered by Colin Davis at Imperial Mastering, Texas, USA, February 2021.

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
Naiv set a tough standard for the next Thy Catafalque album to live up to, but coming less than 18 months later, Vadak makes a mockery of that challenge.

Read more ››
published 30.06.2021 | Comments (6)

Found in 54 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 50   Visited by: 886 users
25.06.2021 - 13:07
Rating: 9
musclassia
Staff
This guy has some mad talent, just over a year after Naiv and on first listen this is as good, if not better
25.06.2021 - 20:17
Written by musclassia on 25.06.2021 at 13:07

This guy has some mad talent, just over a year after Naiv and on first listen this is as good, if not better

Gave this just one listen so far, but I second that feeling. Seems really strong, especially considered the songwriting.
----
Avantgarde / Psychedelic / Prog / Jazz / Fusion / Electronica
25.06.2021 - 23:16
branco108
What i just listen was madness. This Is really piece of art. There are Ping Floyd, Folk, Jazz.... Great coctail. It is first time that i listening to this band. Jut dont like the Hungarian words in the songs. English can be better. But nevermind. I reccomend this to everyone who are not bounded in the cages of genres but is open minded. Great album. Just waiting for the classic jewelcase release i hate "DIGIBOOks" and luxury eidtions
26.06.2021 - 13:23
Mehrad
First 5 tracks are masterpieces. the last track was very beautiful too. the fucking riffs though, really enjoyable and creative and it can get pretty heavy too.
really diverse too; there is thrash, gorgeous electronic soundscapes, Pink Floydian space rock, some middle eastern melodies, black metal vocals here and there, a bit of jazz and some Igorrr/Myrkur-type female vocals; this album blew my mind.
now this deserves to be at the top of the top 20, not that Helloween bullshit of an album.
this was my first Thy Catafalque album, really want to dig deeper into their previous albums.
----
Ride a horse that's cleaving through the air and space of dreams.
26.06.2021 - 13:28
Mehrad
Symfonius, 1/10 ?
really ?
----
26.06.2021 - 15:48
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
I have only heard glimpses of this album so far, and it already to me sounds like a potential masterpiece! I usually can't stand Avent Garde, but what I've listened to so far is outstanding mudicianship! and IMO this is looking good for AOTY!
26.06.2021 - 17:58
Written by Mehrad on 26.06.2021 at 13:23

this was my first Thy Catafalque album, really want to dig deeper into their previous albums.

Another very strong release is his previous effort Naiv, while Rengeteg is considered among his best.
----
Avantgarde / Psychedelic / Prog / Jazz / Fusion / Electronica
26.06.2021 - 22:50
musclassia
Staff
Written by SchrödingersCat on 26.06.2021 at 17:58

Another very strong release is his previous effort Naiv, while Rengeteg is considered among his best.

Yep, Rengeteg is a must-listem
26.06.2021 - 23:00
Rating: 7
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Nobody ever mentions Roka Hasa Radio =/
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
27.06.2021 - 21:39
Spacerunner
Written by Karlabos on 26.06.2021 at 23:00

"Rengeteg" was a breakthrough album and the first time many of us checked his music so from there goes all the love)
28.06.2021 - 21:00
Mehrad
I will check out all the albums mentioned
----
28.06.2021 - 21:41
Rafael Pereira
Account deleted
A solid record, nothing more or less for me. I listened to this one quite a lot to try to get the hype most of people are having, but 8 is the highest rate I can grant it. Much better than Naiv, which was another acclaimed record I found pretty average. I've noticed there are some patterns about liking or disliking many band's efforts here in some people by the way they express themselves. Although rating an album is a free activity on the site, I feel many vote in a certain way because others have done it and they are connected to the same type of music.

This might be taken like some kind of shady statement, but for those who try to objectify music to do such a thing is nothing less than very contradictory, especially if they criticize some people's votes, saying they're ruining the rating system and asking for privileges to have exclusive rights to vote.
28.06.2021 - 22:42
Mehrad
I mean very very few albums deserve a 1/10, that's why it's called "the worst ever".
is this album the worst ever ?
if you think this is on par with LuLu or St. Anger, I don't really know what to say.
but yeah, "Helloween's bullshit of an album" was maybe a bit extreme.
----
29.06.2021 - 00:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I can understand someone rating this a 1 tbh. I see it as a step back compared to Naiv and if someone else feels similar, but like really passionately, it would make sense for them to cast an emotionally driven 1 its way.

Also someone who's never heard of this band who typically enjoys more formulaic song structures could view this type of music as an affront to art or something extreme and throw a 1 its way as well.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.06.2021 - 08:29
Rating: 8
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite

it's actually my favourite
----
loves 小巫
29.06.2021 - 10:56
Rinbel
What an amazing journey. Very talented and inspired, massive genre-blending work.
29.06.2021 - 16:28
Rating: 10
Maldone
I never listened to his previous albums and after first two tracks I was thinking wow I must dig deep into this guy's whole catalog asap. But the rest of the album I find to be very uneven. I don't mind experimentation with song structures and genre-mixing, but it did sounded too much at times, a bit forced and not organic. Folkier songs appealed to me the most, the last one for example is very beautiful. I'm stll going to check out previous albums though.

Edit : It grew on me considerably after a few more listens.
29.06.2021 - 21:16
Hrodebert
Wow, I really liked this, and I have never checked him out before, I guess I need to look into his older stuff. This came out of nowhere to me
29.06.2021 - 23:11
Gothic Metalhead
Pro Introvert
Been meaning to check out this band. This album is really weird in a good way as with most avant garde music I've listened to. I love the atmosphere, and the vocals, and the amount of influences that are put into this album. So yeah great album.
30.06.2021 - 07:22
Mehrad
Written by Troy Killjoy on 29.06.2021 at 00:52

I can understand someone rating this a 1 tbh. I see it as a step back compared to Naiv and if someone else feels similar, but like really passionately, it would make sense for them to cast an emotionally driven 1 its way.

Also someone who's never heard of this band who typically enjoys more formulaic song structures could view this type of music as an affront to art or something extreme and throw a 1 its way as well.

It also seems like some people rate some new albums low to take it down in the top 20 rankings, but that might be untrue.
----
30.06.2021 - 12:33
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Quite happy to see some avantgarde at the top of the year's list, although this one didn't do too much for me
01.07.2021 - 08:29
Mehrad

I listened to that one couple of days ago and it was pretty cool and amusing, but I think I prefer this one.
----
01.07.2021 - 20:05
Eternity'sChild
Fantastic music again. Incredible how consistent Thy Catafalque is, except the first three albums which I haven't heard so far, everything they put out is really high quality stuff.

Written by Mehrad on 01.07.2021 at 08:29

I listened to that one couple of days ago and it was pretty cool and amusing, but I think I prefer this one.

The more recent ones are more similar in style to this one than Roka Hasa Radio, so you might like the previous ones as well.
02.07.2021 - 11:40
Rating: 5
This is an unbearable listen for me... This is the first I've heard from Thy Catafalque and my first impression is that it tries to do waaay to much. The shifts in style within just one songs sound unconnected to me and almost shizophrenic. For example, when the music goes from a badass guitar solo to god damn elevator synth music. Huge NOPE from me.

I do appreciate the instrumental talent that went into this though.
05.07.2021 - 07:11
metalstormer
Account deleted
7->8->9
07.07.2021 - 01:53
CerambyX
Móló is such a cool track!
I think it's one of better Thy Catafalque releases! Surprisingly heavy at times, but still folky, chill, futuristically dreamy etc. with different moods entwined throughout. I would say it's far from boring - I find it very enjoyable and entertaining with many smart and interesting bits scattered all around till the end, even in the mellow and chill parts.

Maybe the songs overall are more varied and less coherent in single listen than on some other Catafalque albums - seems a bit like a compilation of some ideas and stuff Tamás has worked on in recent years (that were great but didn't fit on 'Naiv'?) but it doesn't bother me at all. Fun album - strong 9, maybe even 9.5
11.07.2021 - 02:35
Rating: 10
Maldone
I've been a little late to the party, this is the first Thy Catafalque album I heard, but now I'm going through their whole discography, and what a ride it is! I can't believe I was missing out on a band this great and this unique. All albums I heard so far are really good and incredibly consistent. Style didn't really changed that much through the years, but that style is so uniqe I can't think of any other band that sounds anything similar to this. This is not your typical dissonant wall of sound Deathspell Omega avantgarde black metal. It's a crazy bland of genres and styles that include black metal, Hungarian folk, jazz, post rock and even some electronics and dance rhythms. But what makes it good is consistently great songwriting.
15.07.2021 - 17:48
JayMo4
It's not always easy to be avantgarde and catchy at the same time, but this album pulls it off. This is probably a top three release from this band for me, and a contender for album of the year so far.
19.07.2021 - 09:58

not that Helloween bullshit of an album.

stronger truths have seldom been spoken.
19.07.2021 - 09:58
Never paid much attention to this band... but seeing all the praise, gonna check it out now.

Hits total: 14207 | This month: 35