05. Transcending Time
06. Awaken The Master
07. A View From The Top Of The World

Additional info
Label: InsideOut Music

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
From my view from the top of the world, I can see an album that is Dream Theater to a tee, for better or worse.

Read more ››
published 26.10.2021 | Comments (11)

Found in 41 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 51   Visited by: 751 users
28.07.2021 - 17:28
Rating: 6
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Cover looks dumb BUT a 20 minutes track baby let's gooooo
29.07.2021 - 02:36
Rating: 8
NavyMetal
If it's anything like their last album "Distance Over Time" it will be an excellent album. The last one was a welcome return to form.
29.07.2021 - 03:03
kevindebrajne
Account deleted
70 minutes? Damn, I liked their approach on the previous album with shorter songs and overall only 56 minutes of run time. Also kinda scarred of that 20 minutes long track. Last time they made an epic track it was kinda underwhelming. Hope James LaBrie gonna improve over Distance Over Time with his vocals, the album wasn't really good in that territory. Cover art looks like a live album, I literally though for a second that they gonna release YET another live album. Really can't wait for some early tracks to get a taste of this thing. Dream Theater is one of these bands that even if I know they won't release anything ground breaking, I'm still interested to see how it turns out.
29.07.2021 - 11:54
Rating: 7
Mountain King
K i K o
Epic track names, hoping they will try a prog power approach which can be really interesting (with the exception of LaBrie)
24.09.2021 - 15:50
Rating: 9
R.Boxma
Let's hope they don't fall back a second time to attempt anything astonishing this time around.
24.09.2021 - 15:57
JoHn Doe
The title song is gonna be 20 minutes long, let's see if they pull off a good epic
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
12.10.2021 - 12:14
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by Roman Doez on 28.07.2021 at 17:28

Cover looks dumb BUT a 20 minutes track baby let's gooooo

This "dumb" cover is based on a real place. Who's dumb now
https://leisurehiking.com/hiking-kjeragbolten-in-norway/
12.10.2021 - 13:06
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by Daniell on 12.10.2021 at 12:14

This "dumb" cover is based on a real place. Who's dumb now
https://leisurehiking.com/hiking-kjeragbolten-in-norway/

Oh no the real place looks really cool and would have been a perfectly fine cover on its own, it's just the giant shoes next to it which look dumb and make the cover look dumb
13.10.2021 - 06:48
metalbrat
Another album leaked before release date...this is becoming common now.
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
13.10.2021 - 09:22
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by metalbrat on 13.10.2021 at 06:48

Another album leaked before release date...this is becoming common now.

It's not becoming common. It's BEEN common for the last 10 years, at least.
18.10.2021 - 12:45
nonZero
Hoping they continue the style of Distance Over Time on this one.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
18.10.2021 - 18:21
|pyro|
Written by nonZero on 18.10.2021 at 12:45

Hoping they continue the style of Distance Over Time on this one.

Prepare to be disappointed.
19.10.2021 - 15:40
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
I've not found anything special about Dream Theater's music since Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory, I even found that album to be slightly overrated. Hopefully this A View From The Top Of The World will be more intresting, but I'm not expecting them to ever top the quality of Images And Words, that is a personal favourite progressive metal album of mine.
19.10.2021 - 17:45
alexcht777
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 19.10.2021 at 15:40

I've not found anything special about Dream Theater's music since Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes from a Memory, I even found that album to be slightly overrated. Hopefully this A View From The Top Of The World will be more intresting, but I'm not expecting them to ever top the quality of Images And Words, that is a personal favourite progressive metal album of mine.

Could be 2 reasons for they´ll never reach that level, 1. they were fresh back then, it was the album that brought them to the masses and 2. nostalgia, you hear it first, so that makes go in time and get that feeling, sometimes I start with a band with an album that it´s not their debut o second album, or their most praised, and I like it, but then negative reviews say that their running out of ideas and repeating themselves, but for me was fresh, so it depends sometimes
19.10.2021 - 17:53
JoHn Doe
Written by alexcht777 on 19.10.2021 at 17:45

Could be 2 reasons for they´ll never reach that level, 1. they were fresh back then, it was the album that brought them to the masses and 2. nostalgia, you hear it first, so that makes go in time and get that feeling, sometimes I start with a band with an album that it´s not their debut o second album, or their most praised, and I like it, but then negative reviews say that their running out of ideas and repeating themselves, but for me was fresh, so it depends sometimes

also Kevin Moore was a big part of the early DT sound. That period is my favorite from DT,
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
19.10.2021 - 19:17
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor

You could be right, if I had started by listening to one of Dream Theater's later albums and worked my way back, then maybe I would of appreciated them that little bit more, although I do believe they were fresh of ideas, and all the musicians were on top form when they did Images And Words, I don't think the rest of their discogrophy is all that bad though.
20.10.2021 - 17:04
alexcht777
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 19.10.2021 at 19:17

You could be right, if I had started by listening to one of Dream Theater's later albums and worked my way back, then maybe I would of appreciated them that little bit more, although I do believe they were fresh of ideas, and all the musicians were on top form when they did Images And Words, I don't think the rest of their discogrophy is all that bad though.

Yeah, that record is magic!
20.10.2021 - 17:11
alexcht777
Written by JoHn Doe on 19.10.2021 at 17:53

also Kevin Moore was a big part of the early DT sound. That period is my favorite from DT,

Nice point
22.10.2021 - 04:41
Rating: 10
Grouch Douglas
Enigma
This is the most I've enjoyed a Dream Theater album since well... ever. Great Album!
22.10.2021 - 08:30
Rating: 9
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
Another masterpiece by the best Metal band ever!

Their best album after many years!

They're simply some geniuses working together and make amazing dreamy music.

By the way, if you are curious about that mysterious eight-string song, I should say, that must be "Awaken The Master" ;-)

8.5/10
----
Stop seeing things and people in a binary way. Everything has its own spectrum and complexity. Be patient and learn about the world.
22.10.2021 - 15:08
Rating: 5
Qualeen
I actually enjoyed my first listen a lot. Interestingly, my two least-enjoyed songs were the ones they released as singles (I think they had two, right? Invinsible Monster and The Alien). I'll give this a rating way later though, once I've listened to it a sufficient amount.
----
So imminently visible - this cloaked innocent guilt
Sentenced to a lifetime, a second of structured chaos
Trampled by the ferocious, raging crowds of solitude
I'm the soil beneath me soaking up the sustenance of my own death.
[Meshuggah]
22.10.2021 - 16:36
musclassia
Staff
Not really getting that much out of this album on first listen; it's not bad by any means and there's moments I like in most songs, but there wasn't much that connected on first listen, and it feels too much like a technical exercise at times - on first impressions, Distance Over Time was stronger
22.10.2021 - 18:09
Didn't do anything to change my view of DT, but had a lightness I liked. Vocals are still blah.
22.10.2021 - 20:19
Claypool
The same music, same songs, same annoying vocals as the last 3 albums. Anyway, I bought the disc again as I did it before with all their albums.
22.10.2021 - 20:31
Melutox
Side B tracks record, nothing special
23.10.2021 - 10:11
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Definitely transcended my expectations, really good record
23.10.2021 - 12:30
JoHn Doe
I was pleasantly surprised by Awaken The Master.
----
23.10.2021 - 14:26
Daddy Pig
Homeschooler
Why only 10sec of ragtime piano? I want more ragtime!
23.10.2021 - 14:28
JoHn Doe
Written by Daddy Pig on 23.10.2021 at 14:26

Why only 10sec of ragtime piano? I want more ragtime!

God, no
what's next more cowbell?
----
23.10.2021 - 21:33
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Middle of the road DT. Extremely impressive musicianship-wise, extremely mediocre quality-wise. I do enjoy the last song though.

Hits total: 10555 | This month: 59