Metal Storm logo
Danish metal

12.11.2023 - 13:10
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
Ok, so compared to Sweden, Finland, Norway, and Iceland, Denmark stands out among the Nordic countries for being notoriously low on popular metal bands. There's like, what, Mercyful Fate and Lars Ulrich and what else? Why is there so little popular metal from Denmark and what bands have you got in mind to prove me wrong?
12.11.2023 - 13:50
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by Netzach on 12.11.2023 at 13:10

Ok, so compared to Sweden, Finland, Norway, and Iceland, Denmark stands out among the Nordic countries for being notoriously low on popular metal bands. There's like, what, Mercyful Fate and Lars Ulrich and what else? Why is there so little popular metal from Denmark and what bands have you got in mind to prove me wrong?

Saturnus for christ's sake! And you mention Mercyful Fate but not King Diamond. Volbeat and D-A-D are big even if people on this site generally don't like them. Then you have Myrkur, Vola, Baest and Konvent to name a couple. If you want black you have Afsky, Illnath and Vanir. And you have Artillery, thrashing since 1982.
12.11.2023 - 14:02
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
Written by Nejde on 12.11.2023 at 13:50

Saturnus for christ's sake! And you mention Mercyful Fate but not King Diamond. Volbeat and D-A-D are big even if people on this site generally don't like them. Then you have Myrkur, Vola, Baest and Konvent to name a couple. If you want black you have Afsky, Illnath and Vanir. And you have Artillery, thrashing since 1982.

Right. Saturnus is even the latest band I've seen live, actually. I spoke to them in Swedish after the gig (which was in Serbia, so that was fun). But they're Danish so I don't know what they replied

Okay, so there are some Danish metal bands to be named, but how come it is so much less popular in Denmark than in the other Nordic countries?
12.11.2023 - 14:30
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by Netzach on 12.11.2023 at 14:02

Okay, so there are some Danish metal bands to be named, but how come it is so much less popular in Denmark than in the other Nordic countries?

That I have no answers to.

12.11.2023 - 15:23
mde017
There is some really good extreme metal out of Denmark
Thrash: Artillery, Invocator
Death: Undergang, Hyperdontia, Phrenelith, Illdisposed, Konkhra, Bæst
Black: Nortt, Afsky

Fact is compairing to Sweden and Norway that's underwhelming, but to other countries of that size like Belgium not that bad.
----
Okręt mój płynie dalej gdzieś tam
Serce choć popękane chce bić
Nie ma Cię i nie było jest noc
Nie ma mnie i nie było jest dzień
12.11.2023 - 16:05
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by mde017 on 12.11.2023 at 15:23

Fact is compairing to Sweden and Norway that's underwhelming, but to other countries of that size like Belgium not that bad.

Now you're just speaking of area which is irrelevant. Denmark has a bigger population than Norway and Belgium has a bigger population than Sweden.
12.11.2023 - 23:35
mde017
Written by Nejde on 12.11.2023 at 16:05

Now you're just speaking of area which is irrelevant. Denmark has a bigger population than Norway and Belgium has a bigger population than Sweden.

Belgium has bigger population than Denmark and yet do not see how population is more relevant to metal than area in this case.
----
13.11.2023 - 00:30
Nejde
CommunityManager
Written by mde017 on 12.11.2023 at 23:35

Belgium has bigger population than Denmark and yet do not see how population is more relevant to metal than area in this case.

Now you're just contradicting your own previous comment because you were the one comparing the area which could only be interpreted as that Denmark has a disadvantage to Norway and Sweden because it is smaller, to which I pointed out that Denmark has a bigger population than Norway. Why you dragged Belgium into this discussion I don't know. Do you wanna compare The Netherlands too, which actually is almost the exact same size as Denmark but has 17,5 million people compared to Denmark's 5,8 million instead of Belgium that is 3/4 the size of Denmark and "only" has 11,6 million people? And Netzach also mentioned Iceland which is more than double the size of Denmark but only has a population 370 000. And Finland is eight times the size of Denmark and also has a smaller population with 5,5 million. So Iceland is the prime example here that population doesn't matter either. And with that logic of yours, why don't China and India have by far the most and the best bands since both countries have around 1,4 billion people each? That's over 1/3 of the world's population. So how is either population or area relevant to Netzach's initial question to why Denmark has fewer famous bands than the other Nordic countries?

13.11.2023 - 08:18
mde017
Written by Nejde on 13.11.2023 at 00:30

So how is either population or area relevant to Netzach's initial question to why Denmark has fewer famous bands than the other Nordic countries?

When comparing Denmark to other similarly sized countries in Europe, it's evident that Denmark has a metal music scene of decent size. (hence dragging Belgium in) Perhaps the question should be why other Nordic countries boast more popular bands than their counterparts in the rest of Europe. The real outliers here are Sweden and Norway, standing out with significantly more robust scenes compared to other countries in Europe of similar size. I would, for instance, argue that Sweden's music scene is richer than Germany's, despite the widespread popularity of metal in Germany and its sheer population advantage. I guess I am making the point that trying to find weakness in Denmark scene is a dead end, as it is weak only when you compair it with its Nordic neighbours not with other parts of Europe. The right question would therefore be why Sweden and Norway (and Finland a bit though I don't think Finnish bands are as trendsetting) have such a huge impact.
----
28.11.2023 - 15:07
Michael Learn To Rock, hell yea best band ever.
30.11.2023 - 12:12
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Vola,Mercenary and Malrun comes to my mind
03.12.2023 - 22:33
Antidote
Written by Netzach on 12.11.2023 at 13:10

Dominus was a great death metal band....which unfortunately morphed into Volbeat later.
03.12.2023 - 22:47
JoHn Doe
Written by Fallen Ghost on 30.11.2023 at 12:12

Vola & Malrun come to my mind

I like these two.

Also
Anubis Gate
Hollow Hour
Zierler (keyboardist of Beyond Twilight)
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
03.12.2023 - 23:58
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Iniquity, Sortsind and Catharsis come to mind, but it's true that compared to the rest of the nordic countries, Denmark seems to have less stuff to offer
04.12.2023 - 14:22
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Try Altar of Oblivion, epic doom.

06.12.2023 - 00:02
warrior_of_ice
Mercenary
07.12.2023 - 04:25
Isnt that the band Make a change kill yourself, from Denmark.
07.12.2023 - 12:13
minata
In my opinion they have an important scene (I would like it for my country, Spain). They have King Diamond (for me one of the greatest). They also have Mercyful Fate, Artillery, Undergang, Wuthering Heights, Saturnus
07.12.2023 - 22:03
Tom Muller
Section A
----
Can you see it
09.12.2023 - 16:18
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
Written by minata on 07.12.2023 at 12:13

In my opinion they have an important scene (I would like it for my country, Spain). They have King Diamond (for me one of the greatest). They also have Mercyful Fate, Artillery, Undergang, Wuthering Heights, Saturnus

Good point, and there are definitely several great bands from Denmark. I don't at all deny that My point is they don't really have an extensive metal scene with hundreds or thousands of bands spread all around the country unlike the other Nordic nations, and I found myself wondering why that might be.
09.12.2023 - 17:20
Maybe becuz they Denmark is s one of happiest country, so they hate metal extreme stuff.
09.12.2023 - 17:22
Denmark has some good band like Aqua too.
09.12.2023 - 17:22
JoHn Doe
Written by Young Mind 37old on 09.12.2023 at 17:22

that horrid band is from Denmark?!
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
09.12.2023 - 17:26
Written by JoHn Doe on 09.12.2023 at 17:22

Really they are very good here past n now. Bette than Make A Change, Kill yourself..
09.12.2023 - 17:30
JoHn Doe
Written by Young Mind 37old on 09.12.2023 at 17:26

Really they are very good here past n now. Bette than Make A Change, Kill yourself..

Are you in troll mode? Are you comparing the pop band with a DSBM band?
----
09.12.2023 - 17:35
Written by JoHn Doe on 09.12.2023 at 17:30

Written by Young Mind 37old on 09.12.2023 at 17:26

I used to like dsbm, then some accident happened, after that i no longer like dsbm, just besides Lifelover, yea both aqua and lifelover is not too worse negative,

I think some thrash, n death black metal better than pop, but dsbm is too negative.
09.12.2023 - 17:43
JoHn Doe
Written by Young Mind 37old on 09.12.2023 at 17:35

I used to like dsbm, then some accident happened, after that i no longer like dsbm, just besides Lifelover, yea both aqua and lifelover is not too worse negative,

I think some thrash, death black metal better than pop, but dsbm is too negative.

did you understand what I asked?

----
09.12.2023 - 17:49
Written by JoHn Doe on 09.12.2023 at 17:43

Written by Young Mind 37old on 09.12.2023 at 17:35

I think some thrash, death black metal better than pop, but dsbm is too negative.

Did you understand what I have answered ? Lol hahahaa yea Iike pop over dsbm
09.12.2023 - 17:53
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
Written by Young Mind 37old on 09.12.2023 at 17:20

Maybe becuz they Denmark is s one of happiest country, so they hate metal extreme stuff.

So are all the other Nordic countries, yet we've ended up inventing some of the harshest, darkest, most extreme music still in existence. Maybe there's some sort of inverted correlation there, we're so happy we're getting bored... So that still doesn't explain Denmark I'm afraid.

Denmark, Denmark, Denmark... you're a mystery to everybody.
09.12.2023 - 17:56
JoHn Doe
Written by Young Mind 37old on 09.12.2023 at 17:49

Written by JoHn Doe on 09.12.2023 at 17:43

Did you understand what I have answered ? Lol hahahaa yea Iike pop over dsbm

Well i asked because I asked one question and you gave me an answer that had nothing to do with my question.
Also, since you seem to be in full troll mode, let's stop here, or at least I will.
----