Metal Storm logo
Christian Metal bands that don't suck?

Original post

Posted by chronic-headache, 20.12.2012 - 04:30
Preferably no metalcore (demon hunter, AILD, etc... are out)
I know of theocracy, but the vocals are almost too cheesy for me (and I'm a huge power metal fan). Mortification is another one I'm aware of, but they don't really do it for me. Somthing a little more extreme than theocracy would be good though.
23.01.2013 - 04:21
squidrick420
The showdown. They are southern metal from Tennessee, pretty kickass if your into it. Also, none of their albums sound the same (some are closer to death, others are a unique style of southern metal). Also, the members are christian but they don't try and get all preachy with their music, in fact there are only vague references to christianity.
02.02.2013 - 05:45
Seita
Account deleted
Saviour Machine, Antestor, Extol and Virgin Black are the only Christian metal artists I've heard that I felt had something genuine to offer musically and thematically and such. I am not a Christian thus I do not connect with a Christian message although I feel the aforementioned have more of a universal, mature appeal. A band like Theocracy, for example, is so over-the-top and in-your-face about their beliefs that it comes across as immature, preachy and obnoxious - I really can't handle that stuff and personally do not understand the appeal.
03.02.2013 - 23:13
feather_light
You need to check out Sinbreed , german power metal. A tad more aggressive than Theocracy, though just as good. Maybe less over-the-top.

Also, like another one said, whatever project(s) the guy from Divinefire / Narnia is in would do it for me.
----
20.02.2013 - 00:50
Syringe, Prog. Death Metal, not in your face preachy. Best of all it's 100% free download from syringeministry.bandcamp.com
05.04.2013 - 21:53
reload3591
Disciple - Some thrashy Tennesee groove-metal. I really only like the Back Again album...they went toward mainstream rock later on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVLbi2LIT-E
06.04.2013 - 03:04
renai
Golden Resurrection
Theocracy, still I like As THe World Bleeding very much
For ALl Eternity - from Australia, metalcore
Tourniquet - this is unique band that like to invite many guest (Marty Friedman etc.), check their Moth and Rust album
Divine FIre
German Pascual solo album A New Beginning.
Rob ROck and his fellow Impellitteri
Narnia - prog metal

that's all I can think right now
----
hey...my blog >>> http://metalharem.blogspot.com/
26.06.2015 - 21:01
Shuna
Sympathy ((blackened Death)
Whisper from Heaven (symphonic)
Lacrimosa (gothic, German)
Kohllapse (everyone says their doom metal but I don't see it)
Circle Of Dust (Industrial)
Blessed By A Broken Heart (Glam)
and they've already been mentioned on here but Virgin Black (gothic doom)
26.06.2015 - 22:00
Wukk
I think it might be helpful to link this thread in here.
http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=7132
----
If you're 666 then I'm 777
http://www.last.fm/user/Joodicator
26.06.2015 - 22:42
Guib
Thrash Talker
Believer
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
06.07.2015 - 04:05
Ganondox
RED isn't really a metal band, but they have some songs which definitely have some metal in them, and they are one of the best Christian rock bands. I also second Tourniquet, Trouble, and Extol, which stand out even if they weren't Christian.
08.07.2015 - 15:10
MeloDeathViking
I'm a fan of August Burns Red, War of Ages, and Becoming the Archetype. Also, right now Facedown Records has a huge summer sale going on. It's a good time to check out some Christian metal albums from them. I just got 7 albums for $30 (including shipping). A bunch of the albums I got are new bands for me, so I'm excited to check them out.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
09.07.2015 - 08:35
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I'm not as in tune with recent releases as my metal listening in general, in regards to checking out new releases, has been pretty poor, but I have a few recommendations below:

Slechvalk (Viking metal):

Horde (black or unblack if you will ;P ... very Darkthrone-ish):

Armath Sargon (more black metal):

Vials of Wrath (From upcoming release/ Along the same lines of Agalloch/ WITTR/ Alcest):
27.07.2015 - 20:34
MeloDeathViking
So after getting some new albums and giving them many spins, I can highly recommend the following albums:
-The Burial - In the Taking of Flesh & Lights and Perfections (tech/prog death)
-Hope for the Dying - Aletheia (progressive death)
-War of Ages - Supreme Chaos (metalcore)
-Everything in Slow Motion - Phoenix (post...similar to Isis at some points)
-Extol - Self Titled (extreme progressive)
-My Epic - Behold (post rock)
----
03.08.2015 - 17:16
Wukk
Written by MeloDeathViking on 27.07.2015 at 20:34

So after getting some new albums and giving them many spins, I can highly recommend the following albums:
-The Burial - In the Taking of Flesh & Lights and Perfections (tech/prog death)
-Hope for the Dying - Aletheia (progressive death)
-War of Ages - Supreme Chaos (metalcore)
-Everything in Slow Motion - Phoenix (post...similar to Isis at some points)
-Extol - Self Titled (extreme progressive)
-My Epic - Behold (post rock)

Going to have to check most of these out. Lots of familiar names in here that I've never given a listen. Extol I can give the heartiest of recommendations to though.

A couple of things I quite like from SkyBurnsBlack Records:
Throne of Awful Splendor - The Supernal Hunger
Monotheist - Genesis of Perdition
----
05.08.2015 - 12:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - "Speak English or Die"

I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
17.08.2015 - 04:07
Wukk
Written by Bad English on 05.08.2015 at 12:20

Anything what was posted there

Written by Wukk on 26.06.2015 at 22:00

I think it might be helpful to link this thread in here.
----
01.09.2015 - 20:05
Trouble (Trouble a.k.a. Psalm 9)
Candlemass (Tales Of Creation)
Saviour Machine
Stryper
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
09.09.2015 - 21:38
MeloDeathViking
I just discovered My Heart to Fear. Their album Algorithm is sort of a cross between Protest the Hero, August Burns Red, and I Am Abomination. Really interesting band that is definitely worth checking out.
----
08.10.2015 - 19:46
Sang Dalang Abu
I hate to say this. I hate White Metal.

But there is one band at ma' country called KEKAL. (1000 Thoughts of Violence - The Habit of Fire)
08.10.2015 - 21:01
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Kekal fucking rules man
(And yes, I have to say this in every opportunity I get)
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
09.10.2015 - 09:28
toxx
Supreme being
How about some "unblack metal" from Chile? This is pretty badass if you ask me!

26.12.2015 - 15:17
Wukk
So why is there an assumption that Christian metal bands suck?
----
04.01.2016 - 15:20
LuciferOfGayness
Account deleted
Warlords The Holy Empire https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9dYrGyAx_60 Has to be one of the best albums with a pro-Christian theme. Dont listen to it as it could spoil you forever, awesome guitars though.
By the way, why the fuck are people asking for christian metal?
04.01.2016 - 19:56
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
I don't get why people would ask for any theme actually. Like they would understand the lyrics among the screams...
----
- Reimu Hakurei
04.01.2016 - 23:53
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
Because some people may feel offended by some kind of lyrics, or want to have some lyrics they can relate themselves to?
05.01.2016 - 00:34
Wukk
Written by Fallen Ghost on 04.01.2016 at 23:53
Because some people may feel offended by some kind of lyrics, or want to have some lyrics they can relate themselves to?

This is a decent way of putting it.

I'd also ask why listening to Christian music could "spoil you forever", but I'm sure that's better suited to the thread in the general discussion forum.
----
05.01.2016 - 00:58
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Wukk on 05.01.2016 at 00:34

I'd also ask why listening to Christian music could "spoil you forever"

If you're referring to LuciferOfGayness' post, he is known for speaking about satan and stuff in his posts in a goofy way. Don't mind him as he probably doesn't mean it =p

But, yes, let's talk about bands just to say I'm not off-yopic. Huh... has Njiqahdda been mentioned yet? Reverorum Ib malacht?
----
- Reimu Hakurei
06.03.2016 - 15:54
Sang Dalang Abu
Why is there an assumption that Christian metal bands suck?
I have discussed it with other elitism, that Christian Metal is insulting Black Metal. idk why.
08.03.2016 - 20:34
Enteroctopus
Written by Wukk on 26.12.2015 at 15:17

So why is there an assumption that Christian metal bands suck?

I think there is an assumption, probably not unfounded, that it is an attempt to answer that "black metal" movement with something Christian. There are a lot of "Christian" versions of other stuff, like yoga, also. It's probably a little of both?

Some bands may be labelled "christian" because some or all members are Christian? That's not really fair, imo. Dave Mustaine is (or was?) Christian for a while. Why is Megadeth not a Christian band, assuming Dave is a Christian?

I guess I see it as a bit presumptuous to assume there needs to be a "Christian" version of metal, for the acceptance of Christian parents or whatever?

Can't you be a perfectly good Christian and read Lord of the Rings, for example? An extremely Satanic book by some people's standards.

Point is, can't metal just be a form of art? Can't I enjoy Tibetan Buddhist drawings of demons and devils aesthetically, find that cool to look at, without being damned for it?

Same thing with metal. I don't see why I can't be a devoted Christian who goes to church on Sunday but enjoys Satyricon. That's the presumption I'm talking about (amongst certain Christians): that if I happen to like Satyricon, Emperor, Venom, Mayhem or Slayer that I can't be "saved."

What does being saved have to do with appreciating a piece of art?!

What about horror movies? The Walking Dead?

How many Christians are addicted to that show, faithfully binge-watching entire seasons with their bowl of popcorn, but they can't listen to Watain?!

Just makes no sense to me, but if you want to have Christian themes in your music whatever. It's your art project. Creeping Death is about the Passover. The Four Horsemen? Black Sabbath? I mean, these things are straight from the Bible, right? (Changed up a little bit, but so?)

Happening to be Christian and liking metal? Cool. I like metal, too. We have something in common!

Acting like you have to be a "Christian metal band" because simply writing about folklore is sinful? That's just ignorant and I would be very bored having conversation with you.
29.02.2020 - 13:06
AJHeavy
JN Winzer (Nu Metal)
https://youtu.be/wZ9voBpLNiU