Metal Storm logo
2021 Metal Storm Awards - Results!

The 2021 Metal Storm Awards have finally ended! It's time to march down the halls of metal history and find out who has been honored with this virtual distinction.

You can voice your opinions, complaints, and suggestions right here in this thread. As always, we hope that you enjoyed this year's edition, because we sure did. Just remember that it's not about winning, it's about having fun and discovering plenty of new music. We can't wait to see you again next year.

Source: metalstorm.net
Posted: 01.03.2022 by ScreamingSteelUS

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 63   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 594 users
01.03.2022 - 22:12
metalwolf
Well, it's becoming a tradition that I voted for almost none of the winners... did get to discover some interesting releases, though.

You would however found me on the ground crying if Lorna Shore hadn't won.
----
----------------------------------------------------------
Cthulhu for President! Why settle for the lesser evil?
01.03.2022 - 23:40
The Galactician
I got so wrapped up in trying to listen to all the nominees that I missed voting in most categories. Having discovered a healthy pile of great albums, I’d say I got exactly what I always want out of these awards.

Huge thanks to the staff for the excellent work once again.
02.03.2022 - 13:50
Al-thor
Well, only managed to agree with 4 of the eventual winners, but difference of opinion and all that! Biggest find for me was in the Ambient / Drone / Noise category with Nishaiar - Nahaxar. Thought this was excellent and deserving of a win. Also thought Seth for BM was the better entry but a relatively close third is pretty good I reckon.

Like couple of others mentioned, Volbeat winning a surprise personally, though White Void had a good chance and thought Ethereal Shroud had the better entry for Melodic BM, don't get me wrong Yoth Iria was great album and has had plenty of spins this year, guess Ethereal Shroud just connected more with me.

As others have said thanks to all the MS staff for the efforts, and at the end of the day I have found good number of artists I missed through the year and Bandcamp Friday could be an expensive one this week!
02.03.2022 - 14:08
Deadsoulman
Elite
Only two of my votes match those of the plebs (black and sludge), but the important thing is I discovered around 15 albums that will stay in my rotation in the coming months. That's invaluable.
02.03.2022 - 15:43
Fabiano
Iron Maiden has won Heavy Metal category and Biggest Letdown... what should we understand from that
02.03.2022 - 15:53
JoHn Doe
Written by Fabiano on 02.03.2022 at 15:43

Iron Maiden has won Heavy Metal category and Biggest Letdown... what should we understand from that

it's been mentioned before. Maybe people voted for Iron Maiden because they are Iron Maiden. Their last album is not even that good IMO. There were some strong contenders in that category.

Biggest letdown? I didn't vote there. The only letdown for me was the last Steven Wilson album and that's not metal.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
02.03.2022 - 15:54
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
The biggest letdown was Abba - Voyage
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
02.03.2022 - 16:16
JoHn Doe
Written by Karlabos on 02.03.2022 at 15:54

The biggest letdown was Abba - Voyage

that, too.
The most unnecessary comeback ever.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
03.03.2022 - 11:45
SamuelYK
Cool awards, great work moderators!
03.03.2022 - 14:45
metalbrat
I have won 10 correctly. Becoming better year after year...:banger2::banger2:
----
In the beginning I was made of clay. Then I bit the apple and they changed me to metal 🤘
03.03.2022 - 17:44
BCI
I guessed Gojira right, even though I don't think they deserved it TBH. But then again, none out of the top 3 did either.

I also got Thy Catafalque, even though I don't really like the genre, but they (he) seem to be the shit when it comes to ranking votes.

I got Funeral Mist, which I incidentally liked a lot, too.
The Extreme Progressive award should have gone to Rivers of Nihil, hands down. I didn't like Iotunn at all TBH.

For Melodeath, I was between Nemecic and The Absence. Be'lacor wasn't bad, but it didn't feel right.
Melo Black was destined for Yoth Iria, no question.

Vola for Math/Djent and Exodus for Thrash, made zero sense to me, but I don't really like any thrash bands other than Slayer. And I only like Djent mixed in with Prog Death.

Overall I'm really happy that in the 27 years I've been a metalhead, I still find very exciting new bands and albums every single year.
----
Black Crown Initiate have ruined a lot of bands for me...
03.03.2022 - 21:03
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 01.03.2022 at 07:42

Disappointing to see Domkraft losing against a fairly satisfactory record.

to be fair, i'm just happy if a few bands I unearth each year make it to the awards and break double digit votes. Domrkaft, Tarlung anda few others this year.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
04.03.2022 - 21:19
FYA
Destroyer
Fear Factory - releases an album
Award of the best industrial metal - you son of a bitch, I am in
05.03.2022 - 09:36
Dylan 1974
Some people on here seem to think that this is some kind of competition. If you 'correctly' voted for the act that won its category it only means you are into popular bands as most on here clearly vote for their favourite acts - whether the album was the best or not (see Maiden, Exodus & Gojira) - and popular music is usually shit (see Ed Sheeran, Adele and Coldplay).
05.03.2022 - 10:40
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Dylan 1974 on 05.03.2022 at 09:36

and popular music is usually shit (see Ed Sheeran, Adele and Coldplay).

Was agreeing with you up until here.

I'll let you have Ed and later era Coldplay though.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
05.03.2022 - 10:51
nikarg
Staff
I don't think "competition" is the right word; I don't see that either in the tone of the comments or in the content. People have posted how many bands they either guessed would win (nothing competitive about that) or how many of the winners matched their own votes (nothing competitive about that either). Whether an album is "best" or not is purely objective anyway; one person's trash is another person's treasure.
05.03.2022 - 11:25
sgtrobo
Saw Mortiferum open for Imperial Triumphant and Immolation, and was reminded that I correctly added them as my winner for extreme doom.
Fantastic stuff
05.03.2022 - 12:33
Starvynth
i c deaf people
Staff
So let's reverse the competition: is there anyone with zero matches?

I have exactly one match, and it's in a category that has given me very little pleasure in recent years. For nostalgic reasons, and because I still like Kiske's voice quite a lot, my vote for the best power metal album went to the winner Helloween. In all other categories I have no overlap with the results and more often than not the absolute underdogs and losers way down the list were my favorites.

Or to put it another way, my taste in music is not compatible with the majority opinion and it probably sucks. What a pity.
----
signatures = SPAM
05.03.2022 - 14:17
RaduP
CertifiedHipster
Staff
Written by Starvynth on 05.03.2022 at 12:33

I had one match in the CCs category.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
05.03.2022 - 14:19
nikarg
Staff

Or to put it another way, my taste in music is not compatible with the majority opinion and it probably sucks. What a pity.

Old Bitter's avatar is always relevant:

05.03.2022 - 14:20
Sangre Sani
4 matches. Oh, well.
05.03.2022 - 14:40
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
0 matches out of 8 votes for me
05.03.2022 - 21:06
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I forgot to add Accept as the biggest letdown, but the fact they are not even mentioned there says a lot :/
05.03.2022 - 23:16
Evil Cooper
3 matches for me: no discussion about Ruins of Beverast and LLNN, while 1914 made a hell of an album but had very tough competitors. I'm very surprised by Amenra not winning the post-metal category (and cannot understand how Cult of Luna could win it with a not very inspired EP).
In any case, many names of my top 30 + 1 didn't even get to the best 10 of their categories: why don't you take a look to them in the Black Lodge Top 30 2021 List:
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7147
06.03.2022 - 03:37
Nejde
CommunityManager
How Soen lost to Gojira in alternative is a mystery. Don't get me wrong, I really like Fortitude but Imperial was one of the best albums of 2021 and "Antagonist" especially is one hell of a song.

When it comes to the other categories I had 6 write-in votes (not counting ABBA in power metal just for the fun of it).
They were:
Conjuring - Universus in black
Abstract Void - Wishdream in industrial / cyber / electronic
Night Crowned - Hädanfärd in melodic black
Wazzara - Cycles in metalgaze
Maha Sohona - Endless Searcher in stoner
Arcaneblaze - Conjure Mysticism And Goblet Of Eternal Fire in thrash

Only main categories I didn't vote in was grindcore and power metal (not counting ABBA).

Also White Void's Anti is a fantastic album that's way to underrated and compared to Volbeat's Servant Of The Mind who won hard rock it's not even a competition. Jess And The Ancient Ones' and Duel's albums were also way better than Volbeat's.

When it comes to the winners I had Vola, Iron Maiden, Mastodon, Thy Catafalque, Swallow The Sun and Cult Of Luna.

So for me it's quite a mixed bag with big names that I've listened to for decades and still enjoy very much and newer totally unknown bands which make me anticipate future releases.
07.03.2022 - 05:46
Litvin
Just discovered that https://www.metal-archives.com/albums/Solacide/Fall_from_Eternity/966436
It should be the best of Black Metal 2021!
07.03.2022 - 06:26
Cthulu
I got 6 matches. Surprised Archspire's Bleed the future didn't win for Death Metal
10.03.2022 - 17:53
MahoDM
Dumbass
I can't understand how wasn't kanonenfieber nominated for the best debut
20.03.2022 - 06:16
sgtrobo
Written by MahoDM on 10.03.2022 at 17:53

I can't understand how wasn't kanonenfieber nominated for the best debut

several strong debuts this year, but I'd take Kanonenfieber's release over anything on that list save for maybe Stormkeep and ATVM
20.03.2022 - 06:19
sgtrobo
Written by RaduP on 05.03.2022 at 14:17

I had one match in the CCs category.

I had Thy Catafalque. I didn't vote for any of the other winners

Hits total: 5195 | This month: 12