Metal Storm logo
The 'New' Big Four Of Thrash?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 02.10.2010 - 01:47
Stated in article http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2010/jul/22/big-four-tour-metallica-slayer it says that the new big four of thrash (I'm assuming after the other four decide to stop) are Municipal Waste, Bonded By Blood, Evile and Toxic Holocaust band.

My opinion on this: I love Evile and Bonded By Blood, Municipal Waste has potential so I'd leave them there and I'd rather have Gama Bomb instead of Toxic Holocaust. Tell me which of the four that you like the most and which band you'd rather have in the new big four if you had to choose.
12.08.2011 - 07:54
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by [user id=101272] on 12.08.2011 at 03:57

If that's the case, then:

Evile
Toxic Holocaust
Warbringer
Municipal Waste.

nice one !

I think mine would be

Vektor
Gamma Bomb
Havok
Witchery
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
22.08.2011 - 01:14
JCJen7
Written by Lucas on 02.10.2010 at 12:08

All fun and cool, this Thrash revival, but none of these bands does anything new with the genre. And wasn't that the greatest achievement of Metallica and co?

I realize this is a very old post, (one of the first in the thread) but it bothered me a bit. In my opinion, 'Metallica and co' doing new things with the genre is their least important achievement. In my opinion, their greatest achievement is the music they made, that I still enjoy nearly 30 years later. I simply love the songs, I don't care if it's from and innovative album such as Kill Em All, or an unoriginal album like Hordes of Chaos. Regardless of when it was released, I am listening to it in 2011, and I just listen to the songs.

That is why I find myself loving a lot of these new thrash bands. Some people simply don't like the music, which is absolutely fine. A lot of other people though don't like them because they simply think they are trying to cash in on nostalgia, rehash old ideas, and they consider the 'scene' weak compared to 20 years ago. (I would have a problem if I considered these bands to be ripping off the 80's bands, a reason I don't like Trivium's The Crusade very much, it sounds way too much like Metallica for me). And, I guess, you can listen to music however you want. If you choose to only look at metal as a linear graph, and any band that isn't adding anything to the tip of the line of the graph is immediately bad to you, whatever. That's your choice. I respect originality and innovation, but it is not something that is necessary for me to enjoy an album.

For me,Toxic Holocaust is original. Yes it's thrash, and it SOUNDS like it could have been made in the 80's, but it wasn't, and there isn't really any 80's bands that sound all that much like them. Same goes for Municipal Waste, Havok, Lazarus A.D., and Warbringer. They all sound like old school bands (well except for Lazarus' new album has some modern influences, especially on the vocal style), but their not ripping off any particulr band.

I decided not to mention Bonded By Blood, because I am still on the fence if I like them or not. They do sound like they are ripping off some bands sometimes.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
22.08.2011 - 01:15
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Wow, these thrash revivalist fans really get their panties in a bunch over people having their own opinion.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
24.08.2011 - 14:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.08.2011 at 01:15

Wow, these thrash revivalist fans really get their panties in a bunch over people having their own opinion.

Well you know kids these days, they don't want their romantic illusions (or should that be delusions?) of what they want the "Big 4" to be to be shattered. Even if in most cases it's just drunken teenagers lifting riffs and singing about zombies.
25.08.2011 - 19:15
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by JCJen7 on 22.08.2011 at 01:14

Written by Lucas on 02.10.2010 at 12:08

All fun and cool, this Thrash revival, but none of these bands does anything new with the genre. And wasn't that the greatest achievement of Metallica and co?

I realize this is a very old post, (one of the first in the thread) but it bothered me a bit. In my opinion, 'Metallica and co' doing new things with the genre is their least important achievement. In my opinion, their greatest achievement is the music they made, that I still enjoy nearly 30 years later. I simply love the songs, I don't care if it's from and innovative album such as Kill Em All, or an unoriginal album like Hordes of Chaos. Regardless of when it was released, I am listening to it in 2011, and I just listen to the songs.

That is why I find myself loving a lot of these new thrash bands. Some people simply don't like the music, which is absolutely fine. A lot of other people though don't like them because they simply think they are trying to cash in on nostalgia, rehash old ideas, and they consider the 'scene' weak compared to 20 years ago. (I would have a problem if I considered these bands to be ripping off the 80's bands, a reason I don't like Trivium's The Crusade very much, it sounds way too much like Metallica for me). And, I guess, you can listen to music however you want. If you choose to only look at metal as a linear graph, and any band that isn't adding anything to the tip of the line of the graph is immediately bad to you, whatever. That's your choice. I respect originality and innovation, but it is not something that is necessary for me to enjoy an album.

For me,Toxic Holocaust is original. Yes it's thrash, and it SOUNDS like it could have been made in the 80's, but it wasn't, and there isn't really any 80's bands that sound all that much like them. Same goes for Municipal Waste, Havok, Lazarus A.D., and Warbringer. They all sound like old school bands (well except for Lazarus' new album has some modern influences, especially on the vocal style), but their not ripping off any particulr band.

I decided not to mention Bonded By Blood, because I am still on the fence if I like them or not. They do sound like they are ripping off some bands sometimes.

See I totally agree with you, most people just don't like the resurgence because it comes straight out of the 80's. But so what ? something good, stays good lol, no matter when its been created.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
25.08.2011 - 19:47
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Jfc... it's not a question of "not liking", it's perhaps of perspective. or simply "not liking" it as much as people who won't shut up about how ZOMG awesome the current movement is and how anyone who doesn't jizz their pants over the current wave of bands just doesn't get it because they are dinosaurs.

but that is just water under the bridge and in 10-15 years there will be another resurgence of some other metal style and the teens of the day will froth and scream about how amazingly awesome that scene is and you'll just roll your eyes.

i hope both of us are still here when that happens.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.08.2011 - 01:01
JCJen7
@troy if you want to take it like that, whatever. i thought i made it clear i was saying im not a revivalist fan, if people didn't make a big deal about it, I wouldn't even realize there was a 'scene'. I just like a lot of the albums that have been coming out lately, both by oldschool bands, and some new school bands.

@joe it sounds like you don't like the music very much. i think posting that would be more respectful than calling the bands drunken teenagers lifting riffs, and saying their fans are delusional.

@bitter i understand a little bit of a backlash by the older generation against new bands, because of how much praise the 'new wave of american thrash metal' gets. but, i don't like this stuff because of any scene, or nostalgia, i just enjoy the fact that there is more good thrash metal that i can listen to every year.

just cause I'm 17, doesn't mean i fit your immature stereotype of new metalheads. I dont say that to mean i am 'better', i am just saying, maybe a kids age doesn't decide whether or not they say ZOMG to every new thrash revival album.

Written by Guib on 25.08.2011 at 19:15

See I totally agree with you, most people just don't like the resurgence because it comes straight out of the 80's. But so what ? something good, stays good lol, no matter when its been created.

i guess we're quite the minority on this thread, whatever. im just trying to explain my view appropriately, but apparently its just me in a panty twisting rage frothing at my mouth listening to only what i consider to be the greatest thrash album ever created, Havok's new lp.

Edit: ^Sarcasm
----

CHECK THESE OUT
26.08.2011 - 04:38
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by JCJen7 on 26.08.2011 at 01:01

@troy if you want to take it like that, whatever. i thought i made it clear i was saying im not a revivalist fan, if people didn't make a big deal about it, I wouldn't even realize there was a 'scene'. I just like a lot of the albums that have been coming out lately, both by oldschool bands, and some new school bands.

@joe it sounds like you don't like the music very much. i think posting that would be more respectful than calling the bands drunken teenagers lifting riffs, and saying their fans are delusional.

@bitter i understand a little bit of a backlash by the older generation against new bands, because of how much praise the 'new wave of american thrash metal' gets. but, i don't like this stuff because of any scene, or nostalgia, i just enjoy the fact that there is more good thrash metal that i can listen to every year.

just cause I'm 17, doesn't mean i fit your immature stereotype of new metalheads. I dont say that to mean i am 'better', i am just saying, maybe a kids age doesn't decide whether or not they say ZOMG to every new thrash revival album.

Written by Guib on 25.08.2011 at 19:15

i guess we're quite the minority on this thread, whatever. im just trying to explain my view appropriately, but apparently its just me in a panty twisting rage frothing at my mouth listening to only what i consider to be the greatest thrash album ever created, Havok's new lp.

Lol don't worry man I know just what you feel. If you dare say you prefer some of the albums made by the resurgence you're automatically flamed to death by some users anyways I can recognize a good album when I listen to one no matter what some may say. I personally think that the new thrash metal scene is as good as the old one was, and sometimes better.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
26.08.2011 - 05:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guib on 26.08.2011 at 04:38

I personally think that the new thrash metal scene is as good as the old one was, and sometimes better.

new scene?

do you know what a scene is? it's not a list of bands. it is a community centered around a place and time.

the Bay Area was a scene. A bunch of bands all started playing the same type of music in the same era in the same metro area on the same bills at the same clubs on the same nights of the week.. and they and the fans all would gather at the same house down the road later to continue the party.

is there anything now like catching Exodus, a visiting Slayer, Legacy, and Possessed gig for $5 and heading to the Metallica pad to party afterward?

describe for me this current scene. where is it centered? who are the lynchpins? what are the venues?
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
26.08.2011 - 06:32
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by BitterCOld on 26.08.2011 at 05:36

I personally think that the new thrash metal scene is as good as the old one was, and sometimes better.

new scene?

do you know what a scene is? it's not a list of bands. it is a community centered around a place and time.

the Bay Area was a scene. A bunch of bands all started playing the same type of music in the same era in the same metro area on the same bills at the same clubs on the same nights of the week.. and they and the fans all would gather at the same house down the road later to continue the party.

is there anything now like catching Exodus, a visiting Slayer, Legacy, and Possessed gig for $5 and heading to the Metallica pad to party afterward?

describe for me this current scene. where is it centered? who are the lynchpins? what are the venues?

Bitter we already argued about this.. you already told me this and frankly I don't care, cos you know exactly what I mean by that and you're only playing on words -_- sincerely you're proving our point. You sound like a frustrated old metal-head to me, plus I never seen metal as something part of a way of life or anything buddy, its music. But if it can help you, well sure, fine.. keep goin cos I feel like this argumentation is going to be so much fun *sarcasm*
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
26.08.2011 - 06:38
JCJen7

Ignoring bittercold's point that it's not exactly a scene, i have to disagree with you on that one haha. The 80's bands, it seems, did make better music in my opinion than what i have heard since. Also, considering there is usually about 10 or 12 thrash albums worthwhile a year nowadays, compared to dozens, maybe hundreds of good ones (obviously i have heard no where near that many haha) a year back then.
----

CHECK THESE OUT
26.08.2011 - 06:40
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by JCJen7 on 26.08.2011 at 06:38

Ignoring bittercold's point that it's not exactly a scene, i have to disagree with you on that one haha. The 80's bands, it seems, did make better music in my opinion than what i have heard since. Also, considering there is usually about 10 or 12 thrash albums worthwhile a year nowadays, compared to dozens, maybe hundreds of good ones (obviously i have heard no where near that many haha) a year back then.

Well I have heard over a hundred of thrash albums and personally I LOVE the new wave. Bitter is actually just trolling cos he's pissed I thought it was pretty obvious. He knew what I meant by SCENE no matter what the word really means. I was only using it to describe the new wave, less letters, less waste of time.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
26.08.2011 - 07:14
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
I'm not trolling. just pointing out you don't know what a scene is to begin with.
----

26.08.2011 - 07:33
JCJen7
Well...this is fun
----

CHECK THESE OUT
26.08.2011 - 11:45
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
What is so hard to grasp about what a scene is?
No matter how you twist or turn it the current resurgence of thrash bands is not related to any scene.
You can all the bands that are part of the current thrash resurgence or even think they are better than the old ones, no problem there, but they are nmot part of a scene. The are all part of the thrash subgenre.

Like BitterCOld said, the Bay Area was a scene for the reasons he described. All those bands played together, partied together, influenced each other etc etc etc.
You don't have that with the crop of new thrash bands.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.08.2011 - 20:23
Guib
Thrash Talker
You guys keep saying the same thing I JUST USED THE WORD to say The New Wave Of Thrash Metal. Gosh I don't care if there is a scene or not this is not the point ! Im not gonna use this word that makes you guys so upset for fucks sake... omg it was not even my point you're really all going off topic you want me to rephrase so you guys can sleep tight ? here I am:

- I personally think that the *new wave of thrash metal* (instead of the word scene) is as good as the old one was, and sometimes better.

see, you guys are arguing on the small and pointless things/details that I said even if it wasn't important at all. But eh, if I gotta post 3 times to explain and make the two of you understand it I guess I'll have to do it, even if it was not that hard to comprehend *IMO* obviously, cos if I don't mention it you guys might just argue about that aswell...
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
26.08.2011 - 21:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guib on 26.08.2011 at 20:23

- I personally think that the *new wave of thrash metal* (instead of the word scene) is as good as the old one was, and sometimes better.

and where would the current bands be without the bands of yore?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

27.08.2011 - 22:41
JCJen7
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.08.2011 at 21:56

well, they probably wouldn't exist. but i don't think that makes his statement invalid. as I have said before, I respect originality, innovation, and being influential to a genre. but, for me, just because one band is before another, doesn't make them better. However, in this case, I still don't agree with Guib
----

CHECK THESE OUT
01.09.2011 - 19:24
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.08.2011 at 21:56

Thats not the point of where they would be... -_- obviously there would be no thrash, but still this doesn't mean they're inferior musically. Like I said its a personal opinion. I prefer some of the New Wave, and other times I enjoy some of the older bands. Its just like that no matter when it came out.
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
05.09.2011 - 18:00
edgethrasherx
Evile
Municipal Waste
Havok
Warbringer
----
"killing for religion. something i don't understand"-Dave Mustaine
05.09.2011 - 19:22
JD
Account deleted
Legion of the Damned
Havok
Vektor
Witchery
07.09.2011 - 00:16
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by [user id=28526] on 05.09.2011 at 19:22

Legion of the Damned
Havok
Vektor
Witchery

I love your opinion lolll Oh right... its JD we got 3 in common, mine was
Havok
Vektor
Gamma Bomb
Witchery
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.09.2011 - 00:22
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 07.09.2011 at 00:16

Legion of the Damned
Havok
Vektor
Witchery

Havok
Vektor
Gamma Bomb
Witchery

Well, I discovered Vektor, and Witchery thanks to you
07.09.2011 - 00:24
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by [user id=28526] on 07.09.2011 at 00:22

Written by Guib on 07.09.2011 at 00:16

Legion of the Damned
Havok
Vektor
Witchery

Havok
Vektor
Gamma Bomb
Witchery

Well, I discovered Vektor, and Witchery thanks to you

Haha np man ! But theres also a band im sure you'll love its called Hellish Crossfire, check out their album called: Slaves Of The Burning Pentagram

Oh and... THE REAPER !!!!!!! THE REAPER !!!! Is coming for YOU
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
07.09.2011 - 00:28
JD
Account deleted
Written by Guib on 07.09.2011 at 00:24

Haha np man ! But theres also a band im sure you'll love its called Hellish Crossfire, check out their album called: Slaves Of The Burning Pentagram

Oh and... THE REAPER !!!!!!! THE REAPER !!!! Is coming for YOU

I will check it ASAP, thanks for the suggestion bro.
14.09.2011 - 08:01
Garth Vader
Gama Bomb
Havok
Evile
Hexen

In that order
----
Now I so clearly see how I have murdered me
08.10.2011 - 17:40
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Garth Vader on 14.09.2011 at 08:01

Gama Bomb
Havok
Evile
Hexen

In that order

Yeah yeah good one
----
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
09.10.2011 - 13:26
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
The New Wave Of Thrash Metal should be edited to "the new wave of revival thrash metal" but hey, everyone to each own.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.01.2012 - 18:23
Lamb Of God although the are Groove Metal
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
23.01.2012 - 03:06
Project Endgame
Account deleted
How the hell did this topic reach four pages?