Metal Storm logo
Thrash will never die

Original post

Posted by Klar, 28.11.2010 - 11:54
As we know we don't find pure thrash like before
Thrash kicked off in the early eighties with bands like Metallica Anthrax Slayer Megadeth Testament Flotsam & Jetsam Exodus Destruction Sodom ...etc
we know in the 90s Grunge killed the majority of thrash bands
but thrash is back with new bands like Merciless Death, Bonded By Blood ,Wabringer, Violator....etc
what do you think about these band ?
do you think thrash is back whith old school stuff?
check some of these bands out via Myspace or their websites
07.12.2010 - 22:58
The Turbanator
Written by Guib on 07.12.2010 at 17:45

Written by The Turbanator on 07.12.2010 at 03:05

Right. I'm a massive black metal fan. And now I think I'll give thrash a listen.

Any bands you'd recommend? A good thrash band that will make me go ":-O what the fuck have I been missing for all this years?"

P.S I also listen to Mastodon.

Glad to see a fellow Mastodon fan
And for the recommendation... well if you wanna try more modern Thrash Metal, I'd suggest you go with Toxic Holocaust, Bonded By Blood and Violater... they're Great also Municipal Waste all incredible bands

Oh yeah man Mastodon is dope. My favorite metal album = Crack The Skye.

I have Municipal Waste too!! Amazing band. I always thought they were punk - crossover or something like that. Hazardous Mutation

I'll give the others a listen. Thanks for the recommendation!
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
08.12.2010 - 18:59
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by The Turbanator on 07.12.2010 at 22:58

Written by Guib on 07.12.2010 at 17:45

Written by The Turbanator on 07.12.2010 at 03:05

Right. I'm a massive black metal fan. And now I think I'll give thrash a listen.

Any bands you'd recommend? A good thrash band that will make me go ":-O what the fuck have I been missing for all this years?"

P.S I also listen to Mastodon.

Glad to see a fellow Mastodon fan
And for the recommendation... well if you wanna try more modern Thrash Metal, I'd suggest you go with Toxic Holocaust, Bonded By Blood and Violater... they're Great also Municipal Waste all incredible bands

Oh yeah man Mastodon is dope. My favorite metal album = Crack The Skye.

I have Municipal Waste too!! Amazing band. I always thought they were punk - crossover or something like that. Hazardous Mutation

I'll give the others a listen. Thanks for the recommendation!

Np man glad to help !
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
08.12.2010 - 23:31
Coolingsrock
Angelus Apatrida man ...everyone check them out, they're amazing. Young fellas with sum really old school thrash mixed with groove most of the time. First listens should be Thrash Attack and Negotiating with clowns. Overall with all the songs they are megadeth pantera and testament thrown in a blender.
09.12.2010 - 15:14
Tormentor666
@Samrit Have you listened to Vektor?? They're from Canada and play a very original, technical and yet classical thrash metal. Their "Black Future" album is probably one of the best and most interesting albums of those I've listened in the last decade.

Angelus Apatrida are really good aswell, I would recommend their "Give' Em War" album, although you can start with any of their three albums, they are all fantastic.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
09.12.2010 - 16:24
Zombie
Thrash'tillDeath
Try Havok, Vektor, Kayser, and Toxik.
----

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free
Johann Wolfgang van Goethe 1749-1832
09.12.2010 - 20:02
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Tormentor666 on 09.12.2010 at 15:14

@Samrit Have you listened to Vektor?? They're from Canada and play a very original, technical and yet classical thrash metal. Their "Black Future" album is probably one of the best and most interesting albums of those I've listened in the last decade.

actually, they are from the US. Tempe, Arizona more specifically.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
09.12.2010 - 20:05
Tormentor666
Written by BitterCOld on 09.12.2010 at 20:02

You're right, mate! I'm sorry.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
09.12.2010 - 20:07
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Tormentor666 on 09.12.2010 at 20:05

Written by BitterCOld on 09.12.2010 at 20:02

You're right, mate! I'm sorry.

We don't have much to brag about musically in Arizona (Sacred Reich, F&J, Landmine Marathon...), so it's nice to get credit when something worthwhile emerges.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
11.12.2010 - 15:28
RavenKing
The only new Thrash band I really like is Hellish Crossfire.
Angelus Apatrida seems to be rated very high on this board but I don't like it.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
11.12.2010 - 17:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by RavenKing on 11.12.2010 at 15:28

They might be quite new but their thrash sound is as old as it gets German wise.
Although weirdly enough I find HC much more enjoyable than all the old German thrash bands.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

11.12.2010 - 17:21
RavenKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 11.12.2010 at 17:14

They might be quite new but their thrash sound is as old as it gets German wise.
Although weirdly enough I find HC much more enjoyable than all the old German thrash bands.

That's precisely what I like so much about it. It's new but it doesn't sound modern in any way. I like old school Teutonic Thrash. I don't like American Thrash, apart from old Slayer.
----
11.12.2010 - 22:39
ForeverDarkWoods
Is there anyone except me who really likes this?

If this is the direction ist's going in, I'd say the stuff still stands strong and brave against all the crappy modern metal.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
13.12.2010 - 20:04
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 11.12.2010 at 22:39

Is there anyone except me who really likes this?

If this is the direction ist's going in, I'd say the stuff still stands strong and brave against all the crappy modern metal.

This is fucking great man... I love it especially the first one Wastelander ITS CRAZY
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
20.12.2010 - 21:49
CzirjakMan
Lazarus A.D. is my favorite recent metal band- the vocals are killer and plus the lead singer/bassist looks like Dimebag which is pretty rad
27.12.2010 - 22:16
Coolingsrock

maybe you've just heard the wrong cd by A A
28.12.2010 - 14:56
RavenKing
Written by Coolingsrock on 27.12.2010 at 22:16

maybe you've just heard the wrong cd by A A

Nah, I just don't like Angelus Apatrida. That's all.
----
28.12.2010 - 16:41
Malevolent-Jim
I really find thrash metal to be boring and incredibly overrated.Though there are some decent bands like Absu and Testament.
28.12.2010 - 16:51
RavenKing
Written by Malevolent-Jim on 28.12.2010 at 16:41

I really find thrash metal to be boring and incredibly overrated.Though there are some decent bands like Absu and Testament.

I love Absu but it's more Black Metal than Thrash.
----
28.12.2010 - 16:58
Malevolent-Jim
Written by RavenKing on 28.12.2010 at 16:51

There are thrash influences there. Saying that they probably are more black metal, which is probably why I like them so much..
28.12.2010 - 17:33
RavenKing
Written by Malevolent-Jim on 28.12.2010 at 16:58

Written by RavenKing on 28.12.2010 at 16:51

There are thrash influences there. Saying that they probably are more black metal, which is probably why I like them so much..

Absu definitely has Thrash influences. It's some kind of Black/Thrash crossover but I think Black Metal takes a bigger place than Thrash in the mix.
----
29.12.2010 - 10:50
immortal83
The context of the new bands is very different from the old ones. 80's (and 90's) decade is very different than actual.

New thrash bands I like:

Warbringer, Municipal Waste and Evile.

Some old bands have released good albums in the last years.
"Death magnetic" has a similar sound to "And justice for all..." Don't "thrash" me for this comment

No one has talked about Hellhammer influence...
29.12.2010 - 14:30
RavenKing
Hellhammer = ultra-mediocre and noisy garbage no one cared for back then
----
30.12.2010 - 05:27
Vikcen
Metálico
"do you think thrash is back whith old school stuff?"

Well... for me for example: Angelus Apatrida .
30.12.2010 - 09:20
thesabbathfan
[youtube]JzObZkuoLyQ/youtube]

enjoy.
----
30.12.2010 - 14:48
immortal83
Written by RavenKing on 29.12.2010 at 14:30

Everyone has his own personal opinion and i must respect that, but you can't deny the fact that hellhammer has influenced a lot of extreme metal bands.

Just listen to early Napalm Death discography, for example.
30.12.2010 - 19:02
ForeverDarkWoods
Written by immortal83 on 30.12.2010 at 14:48

Everyone has his own personal opinion and i must respect that, but you can't deny the fact that hellhammer has influenced a lot of extreme metal bands.

Agreed. If you talk to pretty much anyone who was involved with black metal here in Sweden whn it all started, they will tell you about Hellhammers importance. So yeah, people cared about it. At least here they did, dunno about overseas. In Sweden the Hellhammer demos were some of the most tape-traded tapes among metalheads, or so I've been told (apparently they were quite common in tape trading circles, like the Necrovore demo apparently was overseas).

When they were released they were some of the most extreme stuff in existence. Technically proficient stuff? Hell no, but still very appealing in their rawness and highly influential to extreme metal. It adds an organic quality that IMO is way more appealing than most sterile third wave black or modern death released today.

They also definitely influenced some thrash.

Also, in the context the Hellhammer demos were released in there is no way they can be called mediocre. Not much sounded like that in '83, and there is no way to deny that, no matter if you like it or not. Sure, they took a bit of Venom and a bit of Motörhead, but they did break new ground as well, and pretty much everyone takes influences from somewhere.

But who knows, I might be wrong. Perhaps there were bands that sounded like Hellhammer prior to the release of Death Fiend and I just haven't heard them.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
30.12.2010 - 19:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite

100 % correct.
Somehow people only started caring about Hellhammer in the early 90s and then going on to say they always thought Hellhammer and Celtic Frost were billiant, when in fact almost no-one gave a shit about Celtic Frost either back when they released the stuff.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

30.12.2010 - 19:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 30.12.2010 at 19:02

Agreed. If you talk to pretty much anyone who was involved with black metal here in Sweden whn it all started, they will tell you about Hellhammers importance. So yeah, people cared about it. At least here they did, dunno about overseas. In Sweden the Hellhammer demos were some of the most tape-traded tapes among metalheads, or so I've been told (apparently they were quite common in tape trading circles, like the Necrovore demo apparently was overseas).

When they were released they were some of the most extreme stuff in existence. Technically proficient stuff? Hell no, but still very appealing in their rawness and highly influential to extreme metal. It adds an organic quality that IMO is way more appealing than most sterile third wave black or modern death released today.

Also, in the context the Hellhammer demos were released in there is no way they can be called mediocre. Not much sounded like that in '83, and there is no way to deny that, no matter if you like it or not. Sure, they took a bit of Venom and a bit of Motörhead, but they did break new ground as well, and pretty much everyone takes influences from somewhere.

But who knows, I might be wrong. Perhaps there were bands that sounded like Hellhammer prior to the release of Death Fiend and I just haven't heard them.

Hellhammer sounded like shit when they released the demos that's why the band was totally and utterly shunned back then, No-one was interested in trading the demos back then also not Sweidsh bands and such. People only started seeking the demos in the early 90s when somehow it had become cult to like them. HH was of absoultely no influence when they released their demo, same for Celtic Frost and their albums at the time too btw.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

31.12.2010 - 01:25
RavenKing
Thank you, Marcel, for recalling the real facts. Almost no one gave a shit at Celtic Frost and even less at Hellhammer in the 80s. It's when the second wave of Black Metal started in the early 90s that people started to check back at those bands.

Hellhammer doesn't sound raw, it sounds like shit. Not the same thing.
----
31.12.2010 - 10:16
immortal83
Written by ForeverDarkWoods on 30.12.2010 at 19:02

Totally agree with you. I suppose that record an album in 1983 was very expensive and difficult. Nowadays, correct me if i'm wrong, make a demo is not quite expensive.

Maybe Hellhammer could re-record they demos, but it won't be the same. I like that sound, creates a good atmosphere. A lot of black metal bands like Emperor uses that kind of sound.

Thanks for your reply!