Metal Storm logo
Deep Switch

09.04.2011 - 00:12
ForeverDarkWoods
An article in Sweden Rock Magazine prompted me to give Nine Inches Of God, the only album by NWOBHM band Deep Switch a spin today. I listen to it with some regularity, and each time I do I'm awestruck by how extremely weird, otherworldly, strange and brilliant it is. To this day, I haven't found anything else that sounds like it. Sure, it's connected to the NWOBHM, it's sporadically got some Mercyful Fate in it and some Black Widow even, but nothing else I've heard really comes close to sounding quite like it.

This very odd record with a melting nun on the cover, to me, shows a direction of heavy metal that could have happened, but didn't aside from Deep Switch. The music is really serious, but lyrics are mostly comedy. It's also got an esoteric quality that is really special and unique. Take a listen and see for yourself:

The entire album can be downloaded for free on their website, http://www.deepswitch.net/index.html.

What do you think of this band? Is there anyone else who thinks this is as brilliant as I do or am I just a sucker for strange, proggy stuff?
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
09.04.2011 - 12:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I have album, its not strange, its goodl strange is only mask ishue what I saw on pic so, thats what is strange, but muisc is good, but lil pyhodfelic touche
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.04.2011 - 22:39
Charly546
I think I've heard the entire album at some point. Didn't really think much of it - had a couple of rather good songs (including this one, normally I don't really like stuff like this, but this one's an exception) but the rest was pretty "meh".
10.04.2011 - 03:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Yeah I didn't find it especially "out there" with the weirdness (certainly nothing approaching say, Moon Wiring Club, as irrelevant as the comparison may be) but there is a kind of self-aware oddness about it which makes it far more appealing than most other heavy metal. Definitely a bit of an underrated gem. It's a shame their downloads aren't better quality.