Metal Storm logo
"Zero Tolerance" mode?

16.03.2013 - 08:00
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Ok, I studied people around me who had a pretty solid interest in metal and some particular bands and after a while, a few of them lost their taste in music when they saw other people listening to the same music as they did. I was wondering if it has ever occurred to you to, you know, lose tolerance for some music fans who listen to your favorite band or genre?
16.03.2013 - 08:24
nasmith
To me those people are as big of posers as those who only know and like mainstream bands. Just because other people besides you like it doesn't mean it's mainstream and watered down by faggots.

EDIT: LOL I misread OP . . . figures, since I posted at like 3-4 am my time. But anyway, I don't know anyone who really listens to the same underground stuff I do. Everyone I know who identifies as liking metal (or having liked metal in the past) before only talks about listening to mainstreams stuff. They don't listen to the same kind of stuff I do, but a lot of them have a scene/emo/goth look that pisses me off because of the image they make of metalheads....

But two years ago there was a guy who was known as "Carnage" among some people because of his habit of jumping down partial flights of stairs towards windows yelling that, and landing in a sort of one-kneed position and his head bowed down like some kind of monster. He had long blond hair and dressed in a black long-sleeved shirt, black jeans, and boots all the time. He got a reputation for being a Satanist because of growling along with the death metal on his iPod as he went down the hall, and people thinking he was praying to Satan . That and one time in P.E. when there weren't any coaches in the gym, he walked in and one of his two Gothic chick-friends in the room asked him what he did last night. He growled that he'd masturbated, and the two girls applauded him.

I honestly doubt he's a Satanist, theistic at least (meaning actually worshiping the devil as a god), now that I'm actually a metalhead and know more about the scene, but I still kind of wonder, with some of the stuff he did whether he was more than just another metalhead attention whore.... He definitely spread the image of metalheads being Satanic, hateful, violent, perverted, antisocial motherfuckers. One of the two communications I made with him before he graduated (or dropped out, I don't know) I was walking down the hall and he passed me and screamed, "Bitch boy! Bitch boy!" black metal-style at me. I was just like, Oooookay.... and kept on walking, smirking once I was facing forward again. No use wasting time on dumbfucks like that.

That guy probably listened to a lot of the same type of underground death metal and/or black metal that I do, and I'm ashamed to associate myself with that type of person, but he's an oddball case anyhow.... Other than that, it's mainly just people online, and the only way they could act that would be likely to push me away from a style is elitism and having a widespread fucked up mentality (like Carnage over there >_>). So far, I haven't been driven away by any of that XD
16.03.2013 - 19:22
Edmund Fogg
However, by the4 time you shape up your musical ear, some bands have the time to deteriorate. Musical taste evolves, and often it evolves in the oposite direction of bands you grew up liking.
----
You cannot sedate all the things you hate - MM
The Observer is the source of reality - Bloom
God damn it!! What did Diddy didn't do? - Satan
16.03.2013 - 20:34
Lit.
Account deleted
Never had any tolerance for the fans anyways. Just learn to ignore them.
16.03.2013 - 23:19
Sunioj
I couldn't give any less of a shit how fans of the music I like act.
17.03.2013 - 07:25
Monolithic
♠♠♠
Written by nasmith on 16.03.2013 at 08:24

EDIT: LOL I misread OP . . . figures, since I posted at like 3-4 am my time. But anyway, I don't know anyone who really listens to the same underground stuff I do. Everyone I know who identifies as liking metal (or having liked metal in the past) before only talks about listening to mainstreams stuff. They don't listen to the same kind of stuff I do, but a lot of them have a scene/emo/goth look that pisses me off because of the image they make of metalheads....

I can really relate to that. Because it's the same here.

But two years ago there was a guy who was known as "Carnage" among some people because of his habit of jumping down partial flights of stairs towards windows yelling that, and landing in a sort of one-kneed position and his head bowed down like some kind of monster. He had long blond hair and dressed in a black long-sleeved shirt, black jeans, and boots all the time. He got a reputation for being a Satanist because of growling along with the death metal on his iPod as he went down the hall, and people thinking he was praying to Satan . That and one time in P.E. when there weren't any coaches in the gym, he walked in and one of his two Gothic chick-friends in the room asked him what he did last night. He growled that he'd masturbated, and the two girls applauded him.

Well don't worry, that's probably his greatest achievement. He would've screamed "I banged these two!" if he was serious.

I honestly doubt he's a Satanist, theistic at least (meaning actually worshiping the devil as a god), now that I'm actually a metalhead and know more about the scene, but I still kind of wonder, with some of the stuff he did whether he was more than just another metalhead attention whore.... He definitely spread the image of metalheads being Satanic, hateful, violent, perverted, antisocial motherfuckers. One of the two communications I made with him before he graduated (or dropped out, I don't know) I was walking down the hall and he passed me and screamed, "Bitch boy! Bitch boy!" black metal-style at me. I was just like, Oooookay.... and kept on walking, smirking once I was facing forward again. No use wasting time on dumbfucks like that.

Well he's not the intelligent type, either. I can say he's pretty much a showoff and I can guess how many gigs he has attended so far: 0

That guy probably listened to a lot of the same type of underground death metal and/or black metal that I do, and I'm ashamed to associate myself with that type of person, but he's an oddball case anyhow.... Other than that, it's mainly just people online, and the only way they could act that would be likely to push me away from a style is elitism and having a widespread fucked up mentality (like Carnage over there >_>). So far, I haven't been driven away by any of that XD

I can say it's a different story when you're meeting people in person, although I never had the experience of being friends with anyone with the same musical taste in real life.
17.03.2013 - 08:00
nasmith
Written by Monolithic on 17.03.2013 at 07:25

I can say it's a different story when you're meeting people in person, although I never had the experience of being friends with anyone with the same musical taste in real life.

Yeah, we underground metalheads are a rare breed

off topic: I just realized from the coding of the quote that my user ID is 133724. I guess having 1337 in my ID is my, how did you put it when we were talking about the Carnage kid? "Greatest achievement."
17.03.2013 - 15:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by nasmith on 17.03.2013 at 08:00

depends where you live
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

17.03.2013 - 19:03
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.03.2013 at 15:31

depends where you live

Exactly. For me in high school, Metal music was common place. Almost all the guys in the school's various vocal ensembles were fans huge fans of Metal and hard rock (maybe due to the fact that we all wanted to be Bruce Dickinson). In our music theory class we studied Mozart and Chopin but also Dream Theater and Tool. It was the pop punk kids who were underground.
----
(space for rent)
17.03.2013 - 23:27
nasmith

depends where you live

At my high school at least, most people like hip-hop, electronic music, pop, or mainstream rock and metal.

Written by Dane Train on 17.03.2013 at 19:03

Exactly. For me in high school, Metal music was common place. Almost all the guys in the school's various vocal ensembles were fans huge fans of Metal and hard rock (maybe due to the fact that we all wanted to be Bruce Dickinson). In our music theory class we studied Mozart and Chopin but also Dream Theater and Tool. It was the pop punk kids who were underground.

I practice metal vocals from clean pseudo-operatic singing like Dickinson does (although I'm a baritone) to harsh DM and BM vocals. I would jizz myself if there were music classes that had a focus on heavy metal/hard rock. Hell, I'd take a BA degree in metal music if I could find one, or at least have a minor in that (since I've been planning on going for a science degree). With the amount of analysis I do of the music theory, ideologies, and history behind different styles of metal I could easily have half of a degree done XD
18.03.2013 - 17:11
Monolithic
♠♠♠

depends where you live

I really like the fact that you come in out of nowhere, drop a line and go back, leaving people stunned for a few minutes. You have my utmost respect, Marcel. I can learn a thing or two from you.

Written by nasmith on 17.03.2013 at 23:27

depends where you live

At my high school at least, most people like hip-hop, electronic music, pop, or mainstream rock and metal.

Written by Dane Train on 17.03.2013 at 19:03

I practice metal vocals from clean pseudo-operatic singing like Dickinson does (although I'm a baritone) to harsh DM and BM vocals. I would jizz myself if there were music classes that had a focus on heavy metal/hard rock. Hell, I'd take a BA degree in metal music if I could find one, or at least have a minor in that (since I've been planning on going for a science degree). With the amount of analysis I do of the music theory, ideologies, and history behind different styles of metal I could easily have half of a degree done XD

Well I know jazz schools but hard rock? that sounds like "Let's play like your idol without being open-minded and creative." Some of the most talented band members I know were trained in Jazz schools. (Junius' drummer or Intronaut's bassist, for example.)