02. Misericorde I - As The Flesh Falls
03. Misericorde II - Anatomy Of Quiescence
04. Suspyre
05. Graal
06. Anhedonia

The Best Extreme Progressive Metal Album Of 2023
Top 20 albums of 2023: 3

Additional info
Produced, mixed and mastered by Mark Lewis. Co-produced by Ne Obliviscaris.

Staff review by
musclassia
Rating:
Ne Obliviscaris, the band whose name means ‘forget not’, have spent pretty much their whole career making unforgettable music; Exul is the latest high point of a discography already crammed with highlights.

Read more ››
published 27.03.2023 | Comments (9)

Found in 55 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 39   Visited by: 973 users
01.12.2022 - 15:35
Rating: 9
Ruisdier
Fuck yes
----
https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7014
AOTY 2022
02.12.2022 - 02:56
Rating: 7
24emd
Theory Snob
Reliable band with solid albums. Looking forward to it.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
02.12.2022 - 19:44
DarkWingedSoul
This cannot be other than top 5 material for 2023
15.01.2023 - 02:25
Rating: 8
LeKiwi
High Fist Prog
Listening to the single, I finally realised what it is about their music that gives me that like/dislike feeling. The clean vocalist just doesn't fit at all: the awkward melodies and note lengths (phrasing in general), an unchanging volume throughout every song, and a style would be more fitting to a power metal or modern folk (not metal) record. It's just a gripe tbh, I'm noting this down to see if anyone else feels the same so I know I'm not just being an asshole

Anyhow, still going to give this a listen as the instrumentation will probably be A-class as usual.
25.01.2023 - 10:42
MikeVonDoom
Who's the drummer? The band info still wasn't updated...
25.01.2023 - 12:41
musclassia
Staff
Written by LeKiwi on 15.01.2023 at 02:25

Listening to the single, I finally realised what it is about their music that gives me that like/dislike feeling. The clean vocalist just doesn't fit at all: the awkward melodies and note lengths (phrasing in general), an unchanging volume throughout every song, and a style would be more fitting to a power metal or modern folk (not metal) record. It's just a gripe tbh, I'm noting this down to see if anyone else feels the same so I know I'm not just being an asshole

Anyhow, still going to give this a listen as the instrumentation will probably be A-class as usual.

I'm holding off the singles until the album release, but tbh I've always rather liked Tim's vocals, particularly on Citadel (which is comfortably my favourite from them) - he doesn't have a particularly broad range, but I've never particularly found the style or delivery ill-fitting. It's not an invalid criticism though, it's not like he's got such an angelic voice that I'd be surprised with people disliking it tbh I like having him and the extreme vocalist in the band just for the surreal clash of styles when they're on stage together - the violinist with lovely locks and woolly jumpers vs the ultra-pale growler with sleek black hair and sleeveless jacket, it's more stark than most beauty and the beast pairings I've seen in metal bands
25.01.2023 - 12:43
musclassia
Staff
Written by MikeVonDoom on 25.01.2023 at 10:42

Who's the drummer? The band info still wasn't updated...

Apparently he drummed on this album, doesn't look like they've announced an official replacement going forward yet
26.01.2023 - 19:14
Nightmare^
So far from the 2 singles I am looking forward to it, it has a much darker vibe than Urn.

Rythm Guitars and Bass lines are amazing so far...
----
11.02.2023 - 21:47
Bjamm
Although I liked Tim's vocals in the first single at times, I find it just unnecessary and sometimes very off-putting in the second single
24.03.2023 - 08:44
Anghellic67
I have always found this band interesting even though I can't really get into it. Violin is clearly what separates this band from many other extreme prog bands but maybe those parts go on a bit too long. Also I agree that the clean vocals are out of place and this could be better without them. Not that I'm a bit fan of the growls either.
24.03.2023 - 16:07
MR11MAIDEN
The Misericorde combo are my favourite songs but damn is Suspyre awesome as well. Just like Urn the singles ended up being my least favourites of the album ( emphasis on the favourite as they're still very good).
24.03.2023 - 16:39
Vellichor
As always the instrumentation is great but I honestly think I would prefer instrumentals of these tracks. And strangely I actually prefer their slower section like Misericorde II, which is probably my favorite song they’ve done
24.03.2023 - 19:43
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
As always there's some phenomenal instrumentation, especially the bass work and guitar work, and so too all the other instruments these excellent musicians have at their disposal, and I actually find the clean vocals are more impressive than the harsh. "Misericorde II - Anatomy of Quiescence" is breathtakingly brilliant.
24.03.2023 - 20:23
musclassia
Staff
Written by AndyMetalFreak on 24.03.2023 at 19:43

"Misericorde II - Anatomy of Quiescence" is breathtakingly brilliant.

Will need a few more listens, but this was the song I remember going 'damn this is good' during and checking what the song title was
24.03.2023 - 21:35
AndyMetalFreak
A Nice Guy
Contributor
Written by musclassia on 24.03.2023 at 20:23

Will need a few more listens, but this was the song I remember going 'damn this is good' during and checking what the song title was

At first I thought it was just one long track, but then I thought, is this track meant to be this long? The whole album flows wonderfully well.
25.03.2023 - 12:31
MR11MAIDEN
Written by MR11MAIDEN on 24.03.2023 at 16:07

The Misericorde combo are my favourite songs but damn is Suspyre awesome as well. Just like Urn the singles ended up being my least favourites of the album ( emphasis on the favourite as they're still very good).

Scratch that Suspyre is my favourite
25.03.2023 - 16:29
Bjamm
This record, I guess, was very much on par with Urn for me, I have to revisit this to be sure of what I say, but I admit my 7 was not so much fair, so I would rate it 8.
The imprint of Misericorde II on me was just like the sweet coups of passion I got from Eyrie. Although every time I listen to Eyrie, I sometimes only sit through to get to its last 3 minutes --- OH, those last orgasmic, climactic 3 minutes!!! --- I know I will keep listening to Misericorde II to savor its every second! Isn't it just magnificent?!
The second half of Graal is very amazing too, despite my previous objection to the clean vocals in the first half. I love Tim's vocals, but still, I think it wasn't necessary for clean vocals in this particular song. At least I would argue it was not well written, whereas Tim brings so much to other songs of theirs with his voice: Eyrie, or Forget Not, or Equus, to mention just a few.
A solid release, very solid!
25.03.2023 - 21:59
musclassia
Staff
I reckon Misericorde II - Anatomy of Quiescence is their best song ever; holy crap is it magnificent

I've given the record a few rounds today and I think it might well be their best; I never loved Portal Of I as much as most NeO fans did, always been more Citadel-oriented, but this album both has highlights as good as the best of Citadel and more songs of that highest level
26.03.2023 - 01:30
24emd
Theory Snob
I am another of the odd fans who doesn't enjoy Portal of I too much. It was a good album for sure, and the opener is one of their best songs, along with Forget Not, but I've found the rest of their albums to be better structured, more diverse, and more enjoyable. Citadel is more or less my favourite by them, and I am still deciding where this will slot in. I'll check back in after a few more listens.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
26.03.2023 - 19:11
Rating: 6
Khold Baroness
I don't understand what kind of mass hysterical syndrome about this overrated band. Specially the 2 first albums really impress and gives us a potent and new wave of potent and consistent extreme progressive metal. It was like an Rpg in the 90s and a Rpg of today. From boring to absolute masterpiece. This new album was a big big deception. Why? Simple answer. There's no emotional dimension or surprise like the previous albums. The clean voice are boring . The great gutural voice is out of tempo. No expected and iconic twists . The only song(s) have that missing liking was Equus and especially Misericorde ll. The best things in this weak album was the bass ( amazing) , the violin ( haunting) and the cover art who reminds an epic game 🤔....or franchise. Do yourselfs recognize him?
27.03.2023 - 00:37
Rating: 10
mikeprado30
If nothing gets better than this one, for myself I got already the AOTY. Got some laughs with the hate comments also Some people never gets satisfied with music. Hope those guys will recommend me stuff better than this album
----
BARDS WE ARE, BARDS WE WILL BE!
27.03.2023 - 02:03
Nejde
CommunityManager
For those that like violins in their metal should check out another Australian band too, Ivan. They play melancholic funeral doom though. Not as good as Ne Obliviscaris but still well worth your time.
27.03.2023 - 12:39
geresteijn
They did it again! I cannot believe how good these guys are.

I feel like we are witnessing something rarely seen in metal. No, in music. For me, this is as good as the Still Life - Ghost Reveries period of Opeth. Out of this world!

Now let's hope Dan Presland comes to his senses and returns hehe
27.03.2023 - 14:12
TizMH00
Written by Khold Baroness on 26.03.2023 at 19:11

I don't understand what kind of mass hysterical syndrome about this overrated band. Specially the 2 first albums really impress and gives us a potent and new wave of potent and consistent extreme progressive metal. It was like an Rpg in the 90s and a Rpg of today. From boring to absolute masterpiece. This new album was a big big deception. Why? Simple answer. There's no emotional dimension or surprise like the previous albums. The clean voice are boring . The great gutural voice is out of tempo. No expected and iconic twists . The only song(s) have that missing liking was Equus and especially Misericorde ll. The best things in this weak album was the bass ( amazing) , the violin ( haunting) and the cover art who reminds an epic game 🤔....or franchise. Do yourselfs recognize him?

This is what i think from Urn, after Citadel, they're too boring, except some songs.
Everything I'm reading on this site and others is senseless and exaggerated, I don't understand why, this album besides Graal and Suspyre (which hold it up) has nothing else!
27.03.2023 - 14:13
TizMH00
A very normal album, no big deal, I simply expected much more than what they have accustomed us to, but after 5 years surely you can't show up with an album almost devoid of interesting riffs and with only technique or violins.
I seemed to see very high ratings, in my opinion exaggerated for an album that probably holds its own thanks to Graal and Suspyre, the rest all recycled and boring riffs, nothing special or new.
I gave it 7 only for the two tracks already mentioned above that last almost half the album, otherwise it would have been 6.
It also does not even remotely surpass Portal of I or Citadel, it is clearly inferior, perhaps we are on the same wavelength as Urn, an album that I equally consider inferior to the first two and very similar to the latter.
Otherwise really nothing much, I just have to understand why the extreme praise that users of this site are giving...
27.03.2023 - 18:15
Nightmare^
I was waiting a long time for this and I've listened to it long enough in order to give a proper rating.

I'd place it on par with Portal or Citadel, Exuul has some amazing moments, it's just missing the "wow" factor for me to give it a 10 (I rarely do actually). I consider it their best effort yet in terms of creativity, musicianship and production. You can hear every single thing in there properly and clearly and with every listen I discover something new. I also loved the darker tone in this one, especially compared to Urn.

It feels amazing to see this band progress and develop in this way. I remember discovering them by chance on Myspace (yes that long ago) when they were still doing their first Demo and look where they are now. Most bands can't even dream of writing/producing music like this. I hope they keep doing what they're doing for a long time to come.
----
28.03.2023 - 10:43
X-FrEaK
These fucking guys...Should be forbidden to make music this good. Still between an 8 and a 9, because some songs Im waiting for that specific last bit (Graal and Suspyre) instead of being completely full on focused like Equus, but I need more time with it
----
29.03.2023 - 13:15
Gag reflex
First time listening to these guys and wow, I'm impressed. I have to check the rest of their discography ASAP.

Edit: I think this is my favourite so far. Citadel haven't 'clicked' with me yet, it is very good, just not great. Maybe it needs more listens to grow on me.
----
'The thoughts of dead babies
Wiped away with my semen'
01.04.2023 - 08:10
Bjamm
I never cared for their albums' art, none of them! Very messy, and generally rife with pointless piles of elements. They seem like coming from an amateur with access to photoshop who tries hard to show off.
01.04.2023 - 13:48
Fred_P
Definitely less approchable than "Urn", and the overall tone of the album is much more somber, in my opinion. It's of course still incredible, "Misericorde II" is outstanding. The only think I kinda did not care for is the noisy outro, could have been cut out in my opinion.

Hits total: 16901 | This month: 64