- Design Your Universe review

Reviewer:

839 users:
Band: Epica
Album: Design Your Universe
Style: Symphonic metal
Release date: October 2009

01. Samadhi (Prelude)
02. Resign To Surrender (A New Age Dawns - Part IV)
03. Unleashed
04. Martyr Of The Free Word
05. Our Destiny
06. Kingdom Of Heaven (A New Age Dawns - Part V)
07. The Price Of Freedom (Interlude)
08. Burn To A Cinder
09. Tides Of Time
10. Deconstruct
11. Semblance Of Liberty
12. White Waters
13. Design Your Universe (A New Age Dawns - Part VI)
14. This Is The Time [bonus]
15. Incentive [bonus]
16. Nothing's Wrong [Heideroosjes cover][Japanese bonus]
17. Unleashed [duet version][iTunes bonus]

Dutch symphonic metallers Epica make their return in spectacular form with Design Your Universe, studio album number four. The band have grown over the years and Design Your Universe is the product of a confident and mature band. The album sees Epica at their most bombastic yet and also their most experimental.

Maybe not the most accessible album initially, weighing in at a hefty length but Design Your Universe is packed with quality content. As you would expect, Epica have once again produced an album with all their hallmarks. The music is inevitably built around Simone's ever growing sweet but powerful, theatrical, operatic style of singing backed up with more orchestral choirs and symphonies than ever before. The album is also the grittiest Epica have created. No longer is Epica a limp symphonic band for girls, but the harsh vocals also make their mark on Design Your Universe, especially with songs like the brilliant "Martyr Of The Free World" that in the chorus sounds exactly like what you'd imagine Amon Amarth to sound like if they played along a symphony orchestra. Not committing themselves to song templates or letting genre definitions define their music, Epica even show a glimpse of progressive flair with a nod towards Dream Theater during their fourteen-minute epic "Kingdom Of Heaven".

Still, the band take a lot of influence from other bands and incorporate them into Design Your Universe. Epica still don't have their own particular style or brand of music outside of the fascination with Simone. It might be nice to see the band really put their own stamp on a piece of metal, something to call their own style. Design Your Universe is a brilliant album of fantastic quality, but stylistically is just another symphonic metal album crying out for something innovative, something unique to just Epica.

Design Your Universe is largely a very varied album presenting both up-tempo, hard hitting numbers, but also soft, beautiful, charming ones such as "Tides Of Time", which must be one of the band's most magical pieces to date. The album has a lot of varied content with many parts sure to appeal to many people. The quality on the album makes an extremely long album feel as if it is a fraction of the length it actually is.

Although this is a pretty diverse piece of work, Design Your Universe has nothing groundbreaking to offer. However, what Epica offer with this album, is a symphonic metal album of the highest quality you'll hear all year. Design Your Universe is an extremely enjoyable glade of enchanting symphonic orchestration and operatic-lead heavy metal. This is Epica at their best yet, don't miss your chance with this one.

--

Symphonic metal
Nuclear Blast
The Netherlands
Length: 1:14:46

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 10

Written on 16.10.2009 by Member of Staff since 2006

Guest review by
TheJester
Rating:
Two years after their previous record, Epica outdid themselves. When I heard the first notes of "Resign To Surrender", I said to myself that this is gonna be different. If you read my review on The Divine Conspiracy, you know my opinion. It was a good album but it could be much better and that's what frustrated me. Design Your Universe learned from its predecessor.

Read more ››
published 26.04.2020 | Comments (6)

Comments

Comments: 48   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 633 users
16.10.2009 - 15:00
Rating: 10
annodomini
I was waiting for this review very much. And i am a little idssapointed Well this review is well written, but doesn't explore all the feeling of this album And this album definetely diserves 9. The band is going heavier and heavier, better and better, what is a unique thinh these times. Amazing album.
----
the riddle wants to be...
16.10.2009 - 15:18
Rating: 9
BlankFile
I really love this band, in fact im going to their concert in Portugal in the first day of November.
About this album ive only listened to one song (Unleashed) and i really enjoy it. I have to listen to the rest of the album to form an opinion about it.
16.10.2009 - 15:42
Ereinion
Account deleted
A truly amazing pice of work ....as you said the band has grown so much as songwriters and musican it is also nice to hear that their songwriting didn't become so predtictable as some other big symphonic metal bands....but without a doubt we can say this is their best album so far
16.10.2009 - 15:48
Well, It's not bad but it has nothing to do with Epica style, The Divine Conspiracy is way way better.....in Design Your Universe I shall say that Epica have lost their style....
16.10.2009 - 15:50
Rating: 8
Andresopeth
Haven't listened yet, hope to get it this weekend, though i heard to Unleashed and i like it, have to pay atention carefuly on this album, have long time awaiting for it. Good review, i have very good expectatives!
16.10.2009 - 16:02
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Meh...dont get me started. Apparently everything on this site deserves a 8.5/10 or more - surely there must be a line, everything cant be very good (i.e 8 or above according to the site) and this surely isnt that good
16.10.2009 - 16:40
annodomini
Written by [user id=1909] on 16.10.2009 at 16:02

Meh...dont get me started. Apparently everything on this site deserves a 8.5/10 or more - surely there must be a line, everything cant be very good (i.e 8 or above according to the site) and this surely isnt that good

You are right.It kis better.
----
16.10.2009 - 17:07
BlankFile
Well for the first earing im going to say that this album is constant, heavy and has some great moments, but the Divine Conspiracy is perhaps better in my opinion. This album has a slightly different style from previous releases, maybe is less catchy in some parts and more complex in others, comparing to the Divine Conspiracy. Still im going to listen to the album lots of times to get used to it and to compreend it to the fullest of its capacity. I may be wrong about this analysis, so dont be admired if i change my opinion in about one day or two...
Highlights of the album so far: Resign to Surrender, Unleashed (Killer Chorus!), Martyr of the Free World (Fast, Heavy, Brutal!), Kingdom of Heaven (An epic song with great riffs!) Burn to a Cinder (has a very catchy chorus), Tides of Time (Beautifull Balad) and i have to mention also the track White Waters that features Tony Kakko from Sonata Arctica, a song with great vocals. So far thats it, but i have a feeling that this album will grow stronger on me in a few days.
Stay Metal |m|
16.10.2009 - 17:11
annodomini
Written by BlankFile on 16.10.2009 at 17:07

Well for the first earing im going to say that this album is constant, heavy and has some great moments, but the Divine Conspiracy is perhaps better in my opinion. This album has a slightly different style from previous releases, maybe is less catchy in some parts and more complex in others, comparing to the Divine Conspiracy. Still im going to listen to the album lots of times to get used to it and to compreend it to the fullest of its capacity. I may be wrong about this analysis, so dont be admired if i change my opinion in about one day or two...
Highlights of the album so far: Resign to Surrender, Unleashed (Killer Chorus!), Martyr of the Free World (Fast, Heavy, Brutal!), Kingdom of Heaven (An epic song with great riffs!) Burn to a Cinder (has a very catchy chorus), Tides of Time (Beautifull Balad) and i have to mention also the track White Waters that features Tony Kakko from Sonata Arctica, a song with great vocals. So far thats it, but i have a feeling that this album will grow stronger on me in a few days.
Stay Metal |m|

That was exactly my thoughts after hearing this for the first time, but after plenty of more spins it became super catchy and the best Epica album to date
----
16.10.2009 - 18:29
Kamilbolt
Account deleted
New stuff is much better than previous, but...

Quote:
Design Your Universe has nothing groundbreaking to offer

I fully agree with this

Unfortunately they won't make so awesome album like Consing To Oblivion.
16.10.2009 - 20:19
Keiheji
Written by [user id=1909] on 16.10.2009 at 16:02

alot of reviews like that are from guest reviewers from what i noticed. This album on the other hand, really does deserves every bit of that 8.5 if not more. I just cant stop listening to it. Whoever they got for their new guitarist they need to keep.
16.10.2009 - 21:14
Diablos
Account deleted
I'm very satisfied with this album. they keep up their high quality.
16.10.2009 - 21:24
Dani5050
I like the album so far, they sure got heavier, unlike other bands, but I totally hate, really hate, the interlude, with obama , martin luther king and malcom x on it. Don't know why a dutch band have to do with these people. just my 2 cents.
16.10.2009 - 21:28
Rating: 7
Umideath
Better than before
----
My Top 90 Metal Albums Of 2023 - Part 2 >> https://youtu.be/6Yi7zV9Xo58 - Part 1
https://youtu.be/8F0E_CAfmMM
16.10.2009 - 21:47
annodomini
Written by [user id=29268] on 16.10.2009 at 18:29

New stuff is much better than previous, but...

Quote:
Design Your Universe has nothing groundbreaking to offer

I fully agree with this

Unfortunately they won't make so awesome album like Consing To Oblivion.

It seems that you are a fan of some kind a soft metal,because CTO was softest album of their and with the most simple compositions...

This album is like a drug to me,i cant stoplisten, i am thinking just about those songs. Ialways knew that Epica is a great band,but alll previous albums had only few good songs, and missed something, and I still called myself After Forever fan, but now iam glad that at last Epica found a way to my heart, cause i always wonted this to happen, but something was in a way between us This is my last point(i hope) and i will not discuss with those negative people, because Epica created a masterpiece, that probably explores everythin that i like in metal, they composed a Composiions that i was waiting since the beggining of my interest in music. Neither Nightwish,WT or even After Forever suceeded is such way. These willbe my life album, at least infemale fronted metal. Thank you Epica.
----
16.10.2009 - 21:54
juanopereira
This is the first time Epica includes more guitar solos in their songs and you gave them an 8 in originality??? I desagree. This album deserves a 9 or even a 10. I think is their best work.
16.10.2009 - 22:25
Ivor
Staff
Just listened to the album and to me it sounded really good, even fresh. A couple of last Epica albums sort of passed me by. Don't know if this one will stick but it has the potential. There's something in that album that makes me feel good about it. It's got the drive that is similar to After Forever's Decipher, a long-lost feeling rediscovered on this album.

I.
17.10.2009 - 01:14
MetalSpider
The first 2-3 times that I listened to it, I was left with the feeling that something was missing.

Listening to it a few more times, however, Im actually starting to like it even more.
----

Thanks to Corrupt for these banners!
17.10.2009 - 01:30
Symmachus
I haven't listened to this album yet, but I want to. Also, that was a well-written review.
17.10.2009 - 06:53
Metal Maiden
Megadead
Love the band, loved the album...The review is very good and well-written, I agree on pretty much everything, especially on the part about the slight prog influences, I noticed them too... Also, I must add that maybe the single trait I disliked in their music - Marc Jansen's growls, are so much better and improved in this release, that I found myself at a loss of words...

And yes, I have to agree too that the album deserves higher scores, at least in Originality...I'd give a 9.5 in general, or a 9 actually, given that minus the growls, I still find The Divine Conspiracy 100% perfect...

Oh, and I just have to say how surprised I was, against my expectations, at how White Waters sounds nothing like power metal...
17.10.2009 - 08:36
Sy-Furr
I really like the album over all. I like the more heavier direction that it seem they have take. But of course they have not forgoten their sweet magical symphonic side. Simone is as beautiful as ever. And Mark's vocals are wounderfully diverse. A+

And +1 for Tony Kakko guest vocals!

Can't wait for the tour!
17.10.2009 - 13:44
Kamilbolt
Account deleted
Written by juanopereira on 16.10.2009 at 21:54

This is the first time Epica includes more guitar solos in their songs and you gave them an 8 in originality??? I desagree. This album deserves a 9 or even a 10. I think is their best work.

I disagree with this.
After few listenings it isn't higher, than 7,5 - 8.
If you will ask me, for me new stuff is very irregular. First part of this album, including really awesome Kingdom of Heaven, could be easily one of the best albums in 2009.
Unfortunately second part of this album has too many rather average or even boring songs.
17.10.2009 - 17:37
ioannisk
Really liked it (and i'm not into that type of music)...but i must say that the song with the guy from sonata arctica shouldn't be in there..
17.10.2009 - 18:26
Ernis
狼獾
I don't know...it's a good review Barry...really sets my expectations high but now that I heard it...mayb because I'm so busy to notice all the album has to offer...it passes me by somehow...I think I need to concentrate on the music more....
17.10.2009 - 23:09
BlankFile
After listening carefully a few times this album i can say now that altough this one is a great album, the Divine Conspiracy appeals more to me than this one. I really like this album, dont get me wrong i just think that it isnt better than the Divine Conspiracy whom i think is more constant. Anyway this album has some amazing songs such as Resign to Surrender, Unleashed (My favourite, spectacular song!), Martyr of the Free World (Fast and Brutal), Kingdom of Heaven (Epic), Burn to a Cinder (catchy as hell), Tides of Time (Best ballad of Epica? maybe...), and the title track Design Your Universe. Oh the bonus track Incentive is awsome as Well. But as for the rest of the album i think that it passes me by a little bit, because I think they are just fillers and nothing more than that. They´re not bad songs, but sure they are not amazing songs either. An example: the song White Waters altough it features Tony Kakko from Sonata Arctica, a great vocalist, the song just doesn´t satisfy me enough for me to consider it a good song. Its a somewhat strange track i guess... Well I think that the fair rating for this one is a solid 8 or 8.5 like the rating of the reviewer. Its a great album, but Epica has done better imo. Stay Metal dudes!
17.10.2009 - 23:55
Enissa
Written by BlankFile on 16.10.2009 at 17:07

Stay Metal |m|

I thought just like you when I first heard this album, but then I realized this album cant be compared to The Divine Conspiracy.
Design Your Universe has different Style, Its more Progressive and riffs and more solos in it, as if the first 3 albums didn't contain a lot of these (if it contained any).
this album is a turn in Epica's discography, maybe if they did another divine conspiracy, it would be more succeful, but they wanted to do something different...
this album isnt easy to get into, but still is very mysterious and enjoyable album, thats what I discovered, You have to give it a few listens more, and Im sure you will like it as I did.
Especially "Unleashed" "Resign to Surrender" "Martyr Of the free word" "Kingdom Of heaven" (The most Epic one) "White Waters" and "Design Your Universe"...
18.10.2009 - 12:50
annodomini
So am i the only one who thinks that this album is the best in Epica to date and that "White waters" is amazing song?
----
18.10.2009 - 19:14
BlankFile
Written by annodomini on 18.10.2009 at 12:50

So am i the only one who thinks that this album is the best in Epica to date and that "White waters" is amazing song?

After a few more listenings with the max concentration I kinda like the song now! The same thing happened with the songs Semblance of Liberty and Deconstruct! I really think they´re great songs aswell. Man this album sure is making me crazy! Im changing opinions all the time! Design Your Universe is definitly another great work from Epica, altough different from previous releases, but still amazing! Im so happy that im going to see them live in the 1st November in Lisbon - Portugal!
Stay Metal dudes!
20.10.2009 - 07:08
Rating: 7
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
I have listened to this album many times by now, and in my humble opinion I can say that it is quite good, well, I didn't expect something bad coming from this band, I know all of them are great musicians. I'm glad they added some new elements and they keep on improving some old ones, but I think people in here have described my thoughts better than me.

Great album indeed, it's not perfect IMO, but "The Divine Conspiracy" it's still my favorite.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
21.10.2009 - 22:56
Andresopeth
Well, after listened with attention to the album i must say that i like it a lot, The Phantom Agony still being my favorite, but this one is really good, Kingdome Of Heaven and Martyr Of The Free Word my favorites, the first one because how progressive is, changing rythms a lot, with quiet parts, the vocals, the grunts, the solo, is a very complete song, Martyr Of The Free Word has somthing with Simone Voice that catches me deeply. The only song which i think could be out of this album is White Waters, the rest is amazing, this guys did an excelent job, and a very good album to have in the collection!

Hits total: 23760 | This month: 29