12. Infinity
13. Afterlife [Acoustic version] [Digipak bonus]
14. Leave Everything Behind [Early version] [Digipak bonus]
15. Burn With Me [acoustic version] [Japanese bonus]
16. Hunger [acoustic version] [Japanese bonus]
17. Hunger [remix version] [iTunes bonus]

The Best Industrial / Cyber / Electronic Metal Album Of 2013

Additional info
The Nexus was recorded from September 24th to November 24th at Jacob Hansen Studios, Ribe, Denmark.
Keyboardss, electronics and additional recordings recorded at AMARANTHE Studios, Gothenburg, Sweden.

Produced by Jacob Hansen
Co-produced by Olof Mörck and Jake E

The Digipack includes twelve regular songs and two additional bonus tracks.

Release dates

Japan 13th of March
Sweden 20th of March
Finland 22nd of March
Germany 22nd of March
UK 25th of March
US 26th of March

Staff review by
Ivor
Rating:
N/A
Whether The Nexus is any good heavily depends on what you think of Amaranthe in general and how you approach the album itself, what you value in your music, etc. If you take different approaches to the album, you are going to reach different and somewhat contradicting conclusions. In a way, this album is an oxymoron.

Read more ››
published 23.04.2013 | Comments (27)

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 644 users
01.03.2013 - 05:48
Italics
"The Nexus" (song) has grown on me a lot. I'm really looking forward to this.
----
But I Justify My Desire to No One
14.03.2013 - 21:37
annodomini
More craetive and better than debut.
----
the riddle wants to be...
15.03.2013 - 22:45
Rating: 9
Very good album, after second listening I would say it is not as good as debut but still The Nexus is very good album with catchy songs.
23.03.2013 - 16:22
Rating: 7
ChrisWinther
At first listenn: Knew all the songs, not very different from their debut
Second listen: Sounds different from the debut, more progressive riffs and more dominant electro keys.
Great album, I love Amaranthe!
23.03.2013 - 17:19
Rating: 3
Are you metal?
24.03.2013 - 03:05
Rating: 9
ohmayhem
Not as cohesive as its predecessor, and even more commercial (I didn't even think that possible) but hell. I love it.
24.03.2013 - 20:05
CyberSymphony
Ollie
Most 'guilty pleasure' since Blood Stain Child - Epsilon, I found this much more interesting than the debut and the addiction hasn't stopped yet.
25.03.2013 - 12:05
Rating: 3
DamnZombie!
Mostly pop album
31.03.2013 - 20:12
Rating: 6
svartberger
Every song sounds exaclty the same lol, same formula and repeat, but i guess it just works for them
06.04.2013 - 22:08
Rating: 4
Not metal.
06.04.2013 - 23:48
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Written by matthewlwry@gmail.co on 06.04.2013 at 22:08

Not metal.

These sorts of comment really wind me up. Sure, it's commercial and has a lot of pop elements. Hell, it's not even very good; but to say it's not metal is a) false and b) irrelevant as to its quality. Grow up.
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
07.04.2013 - 00:22
It's primarily pop that has metal elements. IMO it's more pop than metal. It's not bad because it's not metal, it's bad because it's bad. I'm saying 'Not metal' because this is a site for metal.
07.04.2013 - 01:26
LordFezzington
Lost To Apathy
Written by matthewlwry@gmail.co on 07.04.2013 at 00:22

It's primarily pop that has metal elements. IMO it's more pop than metal. It's not bad because it's not metal, it's bad because it's bad. I'm saying 'Not metal' because this is a site for metal.

I'm not going to get into a pointless genre debate, and it wasn't really a dig at you in particular, just that 'Not metal' comments add nothing to the conversation about any band or album, because it doesn't matter! This isn't Metal Archives, with its bizarre 'it's only metal if we say so' attitude. Basically, Amaranthe are 'metal' enough to be here, so let's talk about the quality not the category!

/rant
----
"Pay no heed to anyone and do what seems right to yourself." - Franz Kafka, The Trial
2022 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=7001
2021 List: https://metalstorm.net/users/list.php?list_id=6742
07.04.2013 - 02:59
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
If you liked the first album you'll like this, too! There seems to be the slightest bit of experimentation, one or two new ideas, but for the most part it's their debut part II. Which, is not a bad thing!

Elize = so very talented.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
08.04.2013 - 18:42
Neroese
Account deleted

So trve.
08.04.2013 - 19:00
CyberSymphony
Ollie
I can completely understand the lower ratings for this album. The Nexus most certainly a pop-oriented and very simple structured album. Few experimental sounds, but as many would say: 'nothing more than guilty pleasure listening'. Just listen to the chorus of Razorblade or Electroheart for that.
23.04.2013 - 19:33
Rating: 5
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
C'mon, guys. This is no less "metal" than your average power metal band. >_>

And at times, this chick on the album sounds like Bonnie Tyler. x3
24.04.2013 - 13:04
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Why they sound so awful to my ears ? it seems that I am listening to a pop music with a male scream vocal !
25.04.2013 - 17:52
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by [user id=130727] on 24.04.2013 at 13:04

Why they sound so awful to my ears ?

Maybe you just don't like them?
25.04.2013 - 22:38
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Azarath on 25.04.2013 at 17:52

of course I don't like them
26.04.2013 - 16:04
Karcas
Shakira pose on album cover...no ty
26.04.2013 - 16:33
Azarath
Free as a.. Fish
Written by [user id=130727] on 25.04.2013 at 22:38

Written by Azarath on 25.04.2013 at 17:52

Written by [user id=130727] on 24.04.2013 at 13:04

Why they sound so awful to my ears ?

of course I don't like them

Well there's your answer. You don't like them, therefore they sound awful to your ears. Or they sound awful to your ears, so you don't like them.

Either way, I'm pretty sure there's a strong correlation between the two.
26.04.2013 - 16:41
Fritillaria
Account deleted
Written by Azarath on 26.04.2013 at 16:33

Well there's your answer. You don't like them, therefore they sound awful to your ears. Or they sound awful to your ears, so you don't like them.

Either way, I'm pretty sure there's a strong correlation between the two.

nope ! there are bands which I don't like them but I can't say that they're awful,what I SAID about this band is not a matter of taste !
28.04.2013 - 21:57
Vologes
It looks like they play some instruments and this is the closest they got to metal. And it's even boring and repetitive for a pop album. It's just bad. Period.
29.04.2013 - 01:59
MojoGG
I actually like the nexus (the song) very much..the rest is okay, it's not perfect but I like it and it's not too bad that it combines pop and metal...it sounds okay
01.05.2013 - 09:39
I think this is awful,BUT i don´t say it because album is "no metal album" or something like that. Its just awful album.
19.05.2013 - 15:16
Rating: 10
Ena
Written by LordFezzington on 07.04.2013 at 01:26

I'm not going to get into a pointless genre debate, and it wasn't really a dig at you in particular, just that 'Not metal' comments add nothing to the conversation about any band or album, because it doesn't matter! This isn't Metal Archives, with its bizarre 'it's only metal if we say so' attitude. Basically, Amaranthe are 'metal' enough to be here, so let's talk about the quality not the category!

/rant

And they are even listed on Metal Archives =D
--> So they ARE metal! ^^

But I agree...who cares if they are 'metal' or not.
You like the music or you don't. That's all.

I really love Amaranthe!
The first record already made that clear to me!
I think with The Nexus they took every element a little more to extremes.
--> And I absolutely fell for it!
I saw Amaranthe live this year and they are awesome on stage!
The old songs as well as the new ones really work live.
30.09.2013 - 13:29
Nemo Atkins
Written by Vologes on 28.04.2013 at 21:57

It looks like they play some instruments and this is the closest they got to metal.

Considering the male clean vocalist has been in a few power metal bands (all beginning with D for some reason...), the growler is from Within Y (a melodic death metal band), the drummer has performed with Soilwork (granted, only on tour) among a few others, the guitarist has played in Nightrage and the bassist had a brief stint in Engel, I'm going to have to say that you've not done your research into these guys (in fact, the only real newcomer to metal is Elize Ryd and she still did some session vocals for Dreamland and Dragonland prior to the founding of Amaranthe). They definitely do know how to play metal, they just are trying something very different here that falls somewhere between metal and pop.

No offence intended if you knew all of that already.
15.11.2013 - 21:57
Rating: 8
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
After burning out there first album I was excited to check this one out. But unfortunately I was a bit letdown..

I think what I was most disappointed by is that this is no longer really metal. Yes I know the first album is quite poppy as well, but it still had an "edge" to it, it had attitude, heavy riffs here and there, passion and aggression.

Nexus is the only gem on the album here, and the other first 5 tracks are enjoyable, but tracks 6-12, the Linkin Park, Techno Rave Music and Katy Perry influences are too strong for me to bear. I was pleasantly surprised when track 13 hit... only to realize that the bonus track 13 was a remix of a song of the debut...
----
pewpew.. gotcha
17.11.2013 - 03:25
Susan
Smeghead
Elite
Half a year later I have to change my mind - never really listened to this since posting! Yes, the first album was poppy but it KICKED ASS and I still love listening to it. This one just seems like they're trying to recreate the debut but lack the magic. A few good songs but I don't really listen anymore.
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs

Hits total: 12704 | This month: 27