Sirenia, ex-Tristania mastermind Morten Veland presents his fans with a first teaser of his latest project Mortemia. Gothic metal lovers should check out a full song "The One I Once Was" from the upcoming album Misere Mortem here. The album is scheduled to be released at the end of February via Napalm Records.

Mortemia, whose musical concept is based on a balanced mixture of metal and classical music, is an interaction between Morten's extreme vocals and the dramatic choirs. There are no female vocals here as compared to his previous works.

Morten is credited as the sole producer, in addition to also engineering and mixing the album on his own. The recording sessions and the mixing took place in Morten's own Audio Avenue Studios in Stavanger, Norway. The additional recordings of choirs were tracked in Sound Suite Studios in France. Morten performed and programmed every instrument on the album. The only additional contribution he got externally was that of a French choir.

Source: blogs.myspace.com
Band profile: Sirenia

Posted: 23.01.2010 by BudDa

Comments

Promonex - 23.01.2010 at 10:52
This sounds as if wants to make something completely different from Sirenia. But after a first listen I gotta say that he doesn't even need female vocals and still he manages to sound as shallow as "My Mind's Eye" or "The Other Side." I'm truly impressed. Not positively though.
Jon - 23.01.2010 at 12:36
This man has very narrow imaginative capabilities. Mortemia? Misere Mortem? Almost identical to names like Tristania, Sirenia, Obire Mortem, etc. And then, guess what, the same old choirs, same boring guitar lead as on Nine Destinies and a Downfall. Go home, Morten Veland, you have long since stopped being anything even close to interesting.
annodomini - 23.01.2010 at 12:45
And he even dare to say that this one will be similiar to Tristania's - Beyond the Veil
corrupt - 23.01.2010 at 13:03
Bas - 23.01.2010 at 13:25
Actually I like Nine Destinies And A Downfall a lot. This "Mortemia" track is just god-awful though, what an amazingly boring song.
YoreLore - 23.01.2010 at 13:38
Take it he likes latin then? Or does he just search google for latin words? All these projects seem about as interesting as a wet sponge
annodomini - 23.01.2010 at 13:38
NDAAD problem was that all songs sonded the same, 4 or 5 songs melodies almost not differed... And i have now ideas what Mortem has to do to make this album good.
kea - 23.01.2010 at 14:56
IMHO Mortemia's demo song sounds great, listened to it twice and quite enjoyed it's choir. I'll buy the album.
Personally I don't like Sirenia's "NDAAD" (all songs really sounds the same), and "13th floor" also sounds way too "generic".
But I'm definitely looking forward to this Morten's project.
Promonex - 23.01.2010 at 15:25
The funniest thing is that he speaks about "a new musical concept into the metal scene."
Ernis - 23.01.2010 at 16:19
Well...not that the song is bad but...why would he need a separate band for this? He could do this as well with Sirenia... Now that'd be rather goofy if he decided to quit Sirenia and go "solo"... resulting in already two "Morten Veland ex-bands"...
Jon - 23.01.2010 at 16:37
New concept my balls. People seem to think that having hundreds of different side projects is some sort of good thing. It isn't. Some musicians seem to also think that having a project for each "side of your personality" is a good thing. It's not. It just means each individual 'project' is one-sided and incredibly fucking boring.

Jungleman, I think you may be right, except really all he's done is addend Latin-sounding suffixes to everything to make it sound all, like, you know, gothic and stuff. The prick.
Sulvrot - 23.01.2010 at 20:57
I love everything Morten has done up through At Sixes And Sevens by Sirenia, but he really seems to be losing creative steam. He turned Sirenia into a generic goth pop band and even this new project just sounds like a watered down version of early Sirenia. Come on, Morten; either do something different or call it a day.
WorpeX - 23.01.2010 at 21:45
13th Floor without Ailyn. Didn't realize how boring it would be without her.
corrupt - 24.01.2010 at 00:05
Written by Sulvrot on 23.01.2010 at 20:57

Sirenia was a generic goth whatever band right away. After creating the two massive albums that were Widow's Weeds and Beyond The Veil they should have just quit Tristania (which is a great name for a gothic band btw) and do whatever the hell wouldn't ruin the legacy. That way Tristania today would be an epic legend of a gothic band leaving people grasping for air wherever the name was sounded. But trying to see the musicians struggle for attention in the business by releasing one uninspired, shallow album after the next is just sad.
Black Conundrum - 24.01.2010 at 01:12
I will want to check this band out, but I think the name could be more imaginative, considering how it ends in "-ia" just like the other two bands that he has been in.
Promonex - 24.01.2010 at 02:05
Written by Jon on 23.01.2010 at 16:37

Let's not generalize. There are exceptions.
flamesoficarus - 24.01.2010 at 02:25
Written by WorpeX on 23.01.2010 at 21:45

13th Floor without Ailyn. Didn't realize how boring it would be without her.

i have to agree, the song seems to miss the mark somewhat.

NDAAD had a severe lack of his vocals, so ill probaly end up buying this for that matter.
Troy Killjoy - 24.01.2010 at 04:31
Tchort is one of the few metal musicians I enjoyed hearing about in regards to joining/creating a new band. No offense to this "gothster", but his entire "new sound" idea is just weak. It's like your average one-man black metal band musician deciding to lead the way in terms of a revolution by forming another never-before-heard-of black metal band. THIS TIME WITH MORE* MUSICAL INFLUENCES!

Christopher Lee has more original ideas when it comes to music than this guy. And that guy's fucking OLD!

*not actually more
Italics - 25.01.2010 at 07:12
13th Floor was amazing.

It's funny, people who make fun of power metal and goth metal for "always sounding the same" are probably the same asshats who think that all of their death and black metal bands sound different from one another.
AnGina-- - 27.01.2010 at 00:15
I like The New Desire far more than this one, this one is too Sirenian. I hope the rest of Misere Morten will be like The New Desire. I like the concept of not featuring female vocals though very much. Means more growls and more choirs.
dismaleuphony - 27.01.2010 at 00:54
Written by AnGina-- on 27.01.2010 at 00:15

Yes, I like "The New Desire" more as well, it felt like something fresh again, unlike this track. I just wish Mortem would be more difficult with his compositions again, because that's still where he shines most to me.
AnGina-- - 30.01.2010 at 15:05
Well, if anyone is interested, here you can listen to the previews of the songs.

Sounds pretty cool to me, but I'm gonna wait for the whole album of course, cause the previews are too short to analyse and criticise. I think the sound is a bit harsher than Sirenia's, and again, cannot say how glad I am to have the growls back.
AnGina-- - 12.02.2010 at 21:38
If anyone wants to check, here is the Official video for the song The One I Once Was. I find it pretty neat, eye-candy and a good story to go with. (Not to mention Morten looks totally hawt )

News Necrophagist - New Drummer, Frontman Launches Side Project 7 24.04.2008 by
News Andreas Hedlund - Launches New Project 6 06.05.2008 by Promonex
News Iron Steel - DragonForce Bassist's New Side Project 5.5 18.04.2007 by GT
News Mikee Goodman - Launches New Project, Debut Video 5.5 12.09.2013 by !J.O.O.E.!
News Helloween - Singer Andi Deris Launches New Project 5.5 28.08.2013 by CWA