After nearly 17 years in existence Theatre Of Tragedy has decided to call it a day. The band's last words read as follows;

"This has not been an easy decision to make and we have thought about this for a long long time. We finally agreed to this during the production of our latest album Forever Is The World.

Theatre of Tragedy will come to an end on October 2nd 2010, exactly 17 years after we started making music together. Over the years all of us have strived to combine the Theatre with everyday life but in the end it has proven more and more difficult. We have come to appreciate our family lives and jobs, which makes it very hard to continue this life of rock'n'roll on the road.

We know that some of you will probably be very disappointed, but we also hope you will continue to listen to our music, which all of you learned to appreciate and love so much.

We want to thank everyone of you for all your support over the past 17 years! Theatre of Tragedy wouldn't have been possible without you! Be sure to catch us on the last Theatre of Tragedy shows ever this year! The final gig will take place on October 2nd in Stavanger, where it all began.

Our music will live on... and forever is the world."

Source: blogs.myspace.com
Band profile: Theatre Of Tragedy

Posted: 01.03.2010 by BudDa

Comments

Ernis - 01.03.2010 at 21:20
What a tragic moment! And I was already getting so hopeful after their newest album... well... at least they announced it beforehand... Plus at least their last album was a good one...like a conclusion of all the work they had done...
Amergin - 01.03.2010 at 21:26
*sigh*...
You were one of my first bands ,
I wish you all the best...!
shadowdragonfly1 - 01.03.2010 at 21:28
I loved their first 3 albums, especially "Velvet Darkness They Fear", but they lost the doomy/gothic touch and the incredible voice of Liv Kritine, last 2 CD's are just efforts to go back to their gothic roots, but IMO they failed to impress. Together or not, i lost interest in the band a while ago. Good luck to them and thanks for the music
Ag Fox - 01.03.2010 at 21:42
Shame... Forever is the World was pretty good
Bad English - 01.03.2010 at 21:56
Actuatly this newws we shood read in 1996 not now, so I dobt care about band in ''disco'' real, first 2 albums lives forever
corrupt - 01.03.2010 at 22:59
Finally. If they could take back their last 12 years too that'd be terrific.
Uirapuru - 01.03.2010 at 23:14
At least they released Assembly before call it a day
dismaleuphony - 01.03.2010 at 23:44
A bit of a surprise, but thankfully they closed out on a very good album. My biggest disappointment is that I really feel that Nell was one album away from a mesmerizing performance, but perhaps in another future project someday now... She'd improved so much on Forever Is The World.

As a career I'd be satisfied fully with it though. Few bands can go though such evolutions and still produce good to classic albums each time out, and define a genre in many ways like they did. No band has come close to matching the beauty of Aegis, and doubtfully no one will
Angel_Lament - 02.03.2010 at 00:48
Its indeed the theatre of tragedy now, as it has always been, just when I thought they returned to their old sound...
well, at least they will close it with a very nice album, so good luck and wish them all the best in the future or maybe they will reunite somehow!
The Night Wisher - 02.03.2010 at 00:53
A Dvd would be so nice to end their career, playing some of their classics it would be great !!
good luck for them... and hope to see them in future projects ....
Marcus - 02.03.2010 at 02:12
Not really a disappointment considering their latest music was pretty weak.
Black Conundrum - 02.03.2010 at 02:52
That sucks. I didn't expect them to split up. I guess that is how it goes for many bands; you don't expect them to split up until it actually happens. I bet it was a hard decision to come to. Thanks for the music and best wishes.
Vikingocalypse; - 02.03.2010 at 06:42
Last year I got shocked by Emperor's and Celtic Frost's split, this year I am shocked by Theatre's. As the the theatre closes down, Theatre of Tragdey have undoubtablly touched our hearts in many ways regardless of with which albums. I wish them all the best in their lives as this band now enters it's demice.

(Although I am happy it's not Paradise Lost that's spliting, I would much rather have recieved this news from Dimmu Borgir; or even DarkThrone. Theatre really had a lot of potential, especially after the release of Forever Is The World).
magatouve - 02.03.2010 at 13:17
Theatre of Tragedy made 3 incredible albums (their first) and had a huge impact on metal. If they announced that 10 years ago I would be shocked, but now I don't feel anything. I don't know about their last album. But yeah... they were one o my first bands. Actually the very first band using growling vocals for me to hear. I had their Velvet Darkness when I was 17 years old and returned to the shop because I thought the male vocals were horrible and the music very slow. But 6 or 7 months after that I returned to the same shop and I got the same copy (nobody took it in my small home town in Syria) and this is how I was introduced to gothic/doom and even death vocals.... anyway goodbye Theatre of Tragedy!
Lady Margoth - 02.03.2010 at 13:29
I would be shoched then. But now it's OK. They've made three albums I love sooo much - Velvet darkness they fear, Theatre of tragedy and, especially, Aegis. And for me the end of Theatre of Tragedy was long time ago. I appreaciate those albums so much and I kept on listening to their new compositions but it was never the same.

Have happy lives, dear Theatre of tragedy! Thank you so much for the masterpieces!
HolyandFallen - 02.03.2010 at 17:21
Not a disappointment. I line with those who love the first three releases. Theatre of Tragedy died 13 years ago
Mr. Doctor - 02.03.2010 at 18:01
Aaaa fuck! Forever Is The World was a good album imo... It was a good sign that the band was going back to roots and Nell was doing such a good performance! Storm was "meh" so when I listened to the first songs from FITW I was so happy...

Damn guys... I'm pissed off, seriously.
Deadsoulman - 02.03.2010 at 18:05
They've been dead to me for 12 years already.

Haven't heard their latest though.
Pétur - 02.03.2010 at 18:28
Shame...shame...
treptolemus - 02.03.2010 at 22:52
I know that the fans care for their favourite group, and it is bad to hear this...
To be honest i don't know their songs - only their last album Forever is the World

Written by Deadsoulman on 02.03.2010 at 18:05

They've been dead to me for 12 years already.

Haven't heard their latest though.

collin i found their last cd extremely weak - almost without a reason. But i admit that the artists either had to express themselves (did it for their fans only) or their company had a deal with them.
I really don't know
Yossarian - 04.03.2010 at 08:18
Written by Ernis on 01.03.2010 at 21:20

I agree with you totally. The last album was quite remarkable comparing to everything after Aegis. It is really a "tragedy" to learn that a band that I follow from their debut has decided to end it all. I still have their first album taped in a Sony as from 1995 or 1996 and i simply got in love. After they released "Velvet..." they became one of may favourite bands until 2000 when they, let's say simply "changed"

I am hoping that their upcoming EP will be really an Addenda for a fair conclusion for their astonishing art developed thru almost 2 decades
lingus99 - 04.03.2010 at 19:48
A shame to see the band folding. I though their last two albums were the best since Aegis and felt they would get better from there. Gutted.
Elodie Artour - 05.03.2010 at 11:33
I'm astonished...shocked...sad...! ;( These news came as one of the most awful 'surprises' to me. It seems like it is indeed hard for such bands to keep on making good music in this cruel industry.

I haven't been a fan of ToT for 17 years but ever since I started to like them I've always appreciated and loved their music deeply. I've even considered them for being the bast female-fronted metal band in the world. They'll stay forever in my heart...
AnGina-- - 07.03.2010 at 19:00
I didn't expect this at all. It saddens me that ToT are calling it a day just as I fell in love with their music once again with Forever Is The World. And what especially saddens me that in the past decade as I have been a follower of their music I have not once have a chance to see them perform live.

But on the other hand, ToT has risen from the ashes last year with a remarkable album once again and maybe it is better for them to say farwell now, that I have embraced them again with the same enthuisasm as I did when I first heard ther famour triage Theatre Of Tragedy-Velvet Darkness They Fear-Aegis.

Well, ToT has remained one of my top 5 bands ever since I first encountered with their music and I would be lying if I said I'm not affected to this news at all. But then again, the band has left a tremendous legacy and I am sure their music will remain immortal in the gothic metal genre.

News Theatre Of Tragedy - Potential DVD In The Works 7.5 04.09.2010 by Elodie Artour
News The Sirens - Liv Kristine, Anneke Van Giersbergen & Kari Rueslåtten In Concert 7.5 03.06.2014 by Bad English
Albums Theatre Of Tragedy - Forever Is The World 6 18.08.2010 by