As posted on Blabbermouth, guitarist Christian Muenzner of German progressive death metallers Obscura is working on an instrumental guitar record for a tentative spring release.

The album will feature Hannes Grossmann (Obscura, Blotted Science) on drums, Steve DiGiorgio (Sadus, Death, Iced Earth) on bass and Daniel Galmarini (Mercury Falling) on keyboards, with guest appearances by Ryan Knight (The Black Dahlia Murder, ex-Arsis), Per Nilsson (Scar Symmetry, Kaipa) and Bob Katsionis (Firewind). Vic Santura (Dark Fortress, Triptykon) will handle the production duties on the CD, the drums for which will be laid down starting on December 27.

Commented Muenzner: "Being a fan of instrumental guitar music for many years, this has always been a dream of mine. After I finished recording my guitar parts for the upcoming Obscura album Omnivium, I felt quite inspired and spent all of my free time working on the songs for this project.

The CD is gonna contain 12 instrumental songs. Stylistically, the music is quite diverse and has influences from various genres such as neoclassical shred, fusion, power metal, hard rock, prog and thrash metal. And, of course, the songs will have guitar all over it! I like to describe it as '80s Shrapnel Records shred meets modern metal.

I am super-happy and honored that some of the world's best metal musicians agreed to work on this album with me! I'm very excited and can't wait to hear their contributions!"

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Obscura

Posted: 18.12.2010 by Sorgblad

Comments

J. N. - 18.12.2010 at 12:34
What a line-up! This'll, for sure, be an awesome album!
K†ulu - 18.12.2010 at 12:35
Wow. I'd love to hear this. Steve DiGiorgio on bass... I am stocked.
Aegri Somnia - 18.12.2010 at 12:38
Now, this seems interesting.
ImperialTroll - 18.12.2010 at 13:28
WOW that's an explosive combination! can't wait to hear it
LeChron James - 18.12.2010 at 13:29
The only thing i needed to read was "Steve DiGiorgio".
arj - 18.12.2010 at 15:23
Yes give me more!
Introspekrieg - 18.12.2010 at 17:54
Consider my interest piqued!
nb - 18.12.2010 at 23:31
Never heard of Obscura, but I will check them out as well. I am always interested in checking instrumental albums, that is how I got into Nevermore, I first heard Jeff Loomis' instrumental album. I recently listened to John Petrucci's Suspended animation and it is awesome.
By the way, 80's shrapnel definitely makes it quite interesting.
Syk - 19.12.2010 at 13:47
Written by nb on 18.12.2010 at 23:31
Never heard of Obscura, but I will check them out as well
Considering your last sentence and your ratings for Death and Septicflesh, I can recommend their Cosmogenesis as one of last year's best albums with death vocals. I've got the song with the video in my head right now
Daggon - 20.12.2010 at 00:11
I read this on Obscura's Facebook and got stoked, it will be interesting for sure.

Oh, by the way, for some unknown reason, this news is linked to Blotted Science's profile instead of the one of Obscura.
Syk - 20.12.2010 at 14:26
Written by Daggon on 20.12.2010 at 00:11
It seems smart to me - Obscura fans know that band is working on something so they'll be keeping an eye on the news anyway, while people with Blotted in their fav bands list will get a notification. Sounds quite fitting

News Adagio - Guitarist Working On Instrumental Solo Album 8.5 28.05.2010 by RafaRata
News Paradox - Part Ways With Guitarist, Working On New Album 5.5 09.12.2011 by Truemetaljope
News Meshuggah - Guitarist Recording New Solo Album 5.5 19.05.2010 by Introspekrieg
News God Dethroned - Working On New Album; New Guitarist 5.5 06.07.2010 by I_Die_Often
News Phil Anselmo - Working On Solo Album 5.5 16.05.2012 by Nosurper