Keyboardist Per Wiberg has been relieved of his duties in Opeth as part of a mutual decision with the band. Keyboard duties on upcoming tours will be handled by a musician who is already rehearsing with the band. Said musician's identity will be released at a later date.

Vocalist/guitarist Mikael Åkerfeldt released the following statement about the matter: "Well, it's been somewhat of a revolving door of members during the last couple of years, and now, Per is no longer a member. Mendez, Axe and Fredrik and I came to the decision that we should find a replacement for Per right after the recordings of the new album, and this came as no surprise to Per. He had, in turn, been thinking about leaving, so you could say it was a mutual decision. There's no bad blood, just a relationship that came to an end, and that's that. We wish Per the best, and he did a splendid job recording keyboards for the last record, which stands as his final recording with Opeth."

Opeth remain hard at work on their next as-yet-untitled album, which follows up 2008's critically acclaimed Watershed. The album is due out this Fall on Roadrunner Records.

[Big thanks goes out to J. N., Akke920, Morteza K., Bitch Boy and skrätte for sending in this clearly super-important news!]

Source: opeth.com
Band profile: Opeth

Posted: 06.04.2011 by ThereIWas

Comments

BaneConall - 06.04.2011 at 23:17
Noooooooooo, He provided really good backing vocals on their live set. Hopefully the replacement can as well.
Bad English - 06.04.2011 at 23:20
Good, they dont need ceys , more accustic tracks and clean vox or something like 1th album, keys IMO ruion Opeth
Fat & Sassy! - 06.04.2011 at 23:20
And their replacement will be a giraffe on oboe; their next album will be the most progressive, emotive, poetic and inspiring album ever. Have you ever looked up "perfection" in the dictionary? There is a picture of Blackwater Park's album artwork and a giraffe playing an oboe. I swear to god. It's beautiful.
Damnated_Soul - 06.04.2011 at 23:32
NOOOOOO
Chris Akerfeldt - 06.04.2011 at 23:40
His keyboard solo in Burden proofs that he was a very talented guy, but maybe his departure will have positive sides , maybe they will focus more on acoustic guitars for the mellow parts... just sayin
Doc Godin - 06.04.2011 at 23:52
Departures have never really turned out positive for this band. I mean, look at the significant drop they took in quality after Lindgren left. Then again...Their best albums were before Per joined anyways...Either way, I don't see their next album being all that good.
cluster53 - 06.04.2011 at 23:57
:(:(:(:nono::cry:
Vitriolic Hate - 07.04.2011 at 00:09
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 06.04.2011 at 23:20

shadowdragonfly1 - 07.04.2011 at 00:46
I've seen Opeth live 4 times and i must say his contribution on a live show is far greater than in the albums and also he does great backing vocals, he really will be missed T_T
INÆRIS - 07.04.2011 at 01:13
Well, that's how it goes I guess. I hope the new person fits the bill. I'm not liking how vague they are about everything though. The album's finished, but we know absolutely nothing about it. Oh, and there's a new guy, but it's not like its a big deal. I'm hopeful for the new record, but damn they could be nicer to their fans. No use being suspenseful and hiding who this guy is unless they have Chopin or Liszt playing keys for them now or something. That would be a big deal. Just think how cool it would be if Dan Swano started playing keys for Opeth and doing backup vox. Wow this is going nowhere. I'm out.
Kenos - 07.04.2011 at 01:21
Bye bye Per.

Written by Doc Godin on 06.04.2011 at 23:52

I don't see their next album being all that good.

I have the same bad feeling. And listening to "Watershed" again doesn't help to change my impression...
But of course I will be proven wrong, don't you think, Mr Akerfeldt?
LoudBoy26 - 07.04.2011 at 01:34
HE Will Be Missed- But I Think They Will Be Fine
jpwiseguy - 07.04.2011 at 01:41
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK ..... SHIT....

Bye Per, I'm obviously really sorry to see you go.

To whatever band you end up with next: You have one HELL of a keyboardist there, realize it, and treat him well.
opeth771 - 07.04.2011 at 02:58
I really don't like this... I think Per was an awesome keyboardist and provided awesome backing vocals in the live sets.... Omg...
Marcus - 07.04.2011 at 03:19
Probably won't matter considering Akerfeldt seems to be the driving force behind all songwriting anyways.
Dark Blood - 07.04.2011 at 03:40
Written by Marcus on 07.04.2011 at 03:19

You're right. But he's a nice keyboardist and it's a shame to see him leave the band. And so it was for Peter Lindgren... and Martin Lopez... Oh well, doesn't matter.

Good luck for Per.
Arcticus - 07.04.2011 at 06:21
Written by Bad English on 06.04.2011 at 23:20

They're going to find a replacement, so they'll still have a keyboardist. Mikael will do what he wants regardless, so if he wants keys, there will be keys.
wormdrink414 - 07.04.2011 at 07:05
He better be coming to Clutch.
NocturnalStalker - 07.04.2011 at 07:16
That's definitely sad news as Per is a great keyboard player (Mike himself called him the best metal keyboard player) and a nice guy too.
I don't think it will have a great impact on the future Opeth music, though, as Mike still holds the reins. And I believe the new album is gonna be impressive as always.
Well, good luck to Per with Spiritual Beggars and all his future musical projects.
StephenTheBoss - 07.04.2011 at 07:17
Written by Doc Godin on 06.04.2011 at 23:52

Doc you serious?? Opeth is all around solid and never lost their magical touch. Disagree, their next is said to be brilliant in regards to Steven Wilsons statements.
Doc Godin - 07.04.2011 at 07:26
Written by StephenTheBoss on 07.04.2011 at 07:17

Written by Doc Godin on 06.04.2011 at 23:52

The latest sounded like such a soulless wankfest to me. Gone are the days when they used to have a little ambiance, and actually well thought out songs with a little flow. It's seems they're starting to play as techy as possible for the sake of being techy. With poorly patched-together songs. Before it sounded to me like they wrote 10 minute songs because they had ten minutes of material that had a little context, the fact these songs were ten minutes seemed coincidental. Now the songs sound so forced.
Black Conundrum - 07.04.2011 at 07:32
Oh, my, I see that Per Wiberg has left the band. His contribution to Opeth was worthwhile, and I hope his future endeavors go well. At least he is still in Spiritual Beggars and Krux.
Black Conundrum - 07.04.2011 at 07:32
StephenTheBoss - 07.04.2011 at 07:37
Written by Doc Godin on 07.04.2011 at 07:26

Written by StephenTheBoss on 07.04.2011 at 07:17

Written by Doc Godin on 06.04.2011 at 23:52

Yea they had their finest hours like your hinting, previously in the earlier albums. Progressive metal usually doesn't last forever, as with the keyboardist leaving and the old guitarist, imo their live show almost always rules and has gotten better, and their next album possibly could change your mind about their latest release. All there is to do is hope and wait that it is going to form up to appeal to most fans, old and new.
Doc Godin - 07.04.2011 at 07:42
Written by StephenTheBoss on 07.04.2011 at 07:37

I'll definitely give it a shot. I want it to be good, I really do. Something just tells me it's just going to be completely dry and soulless.
MechanisT - 07.04.2011 at 09:16
Great...
Per was a very good contributor to the Opeth of this day...don't really know if they're going to use keys at all in the future. I for one really liked Per's work and wish him all the best in future endeavours.
Noekkk - 07.04.2011 at 09:31
Mikael is so selfish and sucmbag, What the fuck is wrong with him?
K†ulu - 07.04.2011 at 09:35
I loved Per's contribution to the sound of Opeth. A great keyboard player with a sense of music and originality. You will be missed.
corrupt - 07.04.2011 at 10:07
If he wasn't into it 100% anymore, why complain that he left? There are already too many bands out there denying the fact that they're just releasing albums because they don't know anything else. I'd rather accept a weak album in a whole discography than bad after worse releases of uninspired music.

Written by Doc Godin on 07.04.2011 at 07:26

Their last album was hit and miss for many of us. The avant-garde fan in me likes it a lot. And in that regard it has much to offer both in music and lyrics. But death- or progressive-wise it lacks. I'm still not as negative about the next one as many of you guys here. I don't want it to be Blackwater Part, but I'm pretty confident they'll make a turn from the last one.
BloodTears - 07.04.2011 at 11:21
Yet another one for Opeth. It's always a bit sad when someone leaves. But there's not much you can do really.

All I wish is that the new album is good.
Lachy - 07.04.2011 at 13:36
Damn he seemed like a really nice guy, i mean he wasnt the popular one but was a crucial part of opeths sound. Per will be missed
Dark 3.16 - 07.04.2011 at 14:44
Noooooooooooo
I Will Miss U Dear Wiberg
Kwis - 07.04.2011 at 15:04
This sucks huge donkey balls! I'm currently on an Opeth binge and this news couldn't come at a worse time. Glad to hear the new album is coming along. Good luck with future projects Mr Wiberg. How awesome would it be to get that keyboard slot with Opeth though? Damn.
Unhealer - 07.04.2011 at 16:53
This is really sad.
I'm still hoping its one of Mike's jokes

He was a great guy and the best musician of Opeth according to Mikael.
Also he had a great voice, that is what I'm going to miss most of him, the backing vocals.

Hope Fred gets his vocal skills pumped up or that the new keyboardist can keep up with Per
bazinko - 07.04.2011 at 18:35
I love Per... this is saddening, but change surely promotes progress. At least we get one more album out of him.
BlankFile - 07.04.2011 at 19:20
Its a pity. He´s a great Keyboard player.
cecile00 - 07.04.2011 at 22:29
They didn't say they're going to move on without keyboards so i believe in Mikael's judgement and think that the replacement will be a very talented one too Of course we will miss Per but as Mikael said , maybe that was the best decision Let's hope the best !
Daggon - 08.04.2011 at 07:06
So damn bad, I'm glad I saw him playing live before this.
Shankao - 08.04.2011 at 10:03
It would be better if they kick Martin Axenrot.

I saw them three times with him, and he always plays in a very bad way....
enemy yv - 09.04.2011 at 01:09
That is disappointing , he was a a good addition to their live show. They know what they are doing though and whoever they get will be fine. I'm more interested in what contributions if any Steven Wilson brought to the new record. Blackwater, damn and deliverance wouldn't be the same without his input.
baldur - 09.04.2011 at 02:51
Why do all these "part ways" news always sound the same?
Evil Chip - 09.04.2011 at 21:46
Their best were Blackwater park and Ghost reveries at the same level. And the keyboards go really well with the music IMO. Just listen to Hours of Wealth, one of the most inspired mellow songs from Opeth. Those 2 albums are their masterpieces, the rest are very good perphaps but no as good. I don't find their early years as good as some metalhead purist claim em to be. As for the new keyboard player.. it won't matter much, since Mikael writes all of the music.
O Sinistron - 13.04.2011 at 15:02
Let's see what will come...

News Illnath - Part Ways With Keyboardist 7 18.12.2008 by Daggon
News Negură Bunget - Part Ways With Keyboardist And Vocalist 7 07.02.2013 by Czerny Reiter
News Textures - Part Ways With Keyboardist 7 15.04.2010 by X5452
News Ensiferum - Part Ways With Keyboardist 7 10.09.2007 by Baz Anderson
News Dreamaker - Part Ways With Label/Song Available For Download 5.5 21.11.2006 by wrathchild