US metallers Metallica have confirmed on their official website that a 3D movie is in preparation and it's planned to be released in 2013. The band posted the following message: "As you know, we generally make it a policy not to comment on gossip or rumors, but we also pride ourselves on being first with 'Tallica news. So, with that said, the more astute of you may have noticed a couple of mentions in trade publications, and most recently in the new issue of Rolling Stone, that a Metallica 3D movie is in the works. We're here to tell you that, yes, there is indeed a 3D project in the very early stages of production!"

"We wish we could tell you more right now, but we don't have all the finer points nailed down just yet. What we can tell you is that we are planning on being in a theatre near you sometime in 2013 and as you hear us say ever so often, this will be the space for all the details as we finalize them."

Source: metallica.com
Band profile: Metallica

Posted: 07.01.2012 by kual21

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

selken - 09.01.2012 at 06:59
A 3d movie??? what about??? why??
oh boy... maybe it could become as avoidable as Lulu
Warman - 09.01.2012 at 13:45
So what? So what?

I seriously hate the 3D hype.
Troy Killjoy - 09.01.2012 at 17:10
Written by afu on 09.01.2012 at 06:22
If Iron Maiden was doing this, would anyone be bitching?

I would be.

And 3D is terrible, but that's a separate argument that doesn't have a place here.
@gent_-_orange - 09.01.2012 at 18:59
I hope the 3D effects will not be used on Kirks Whammy bar, I dont think my eyes could take it.
Angelic Storm - 09.01.2012 at 19:34
Written by Behdad K2 on 08.01.2012 at 14:25
They release Lulu, it sells.

Nope, it did not. If you compare how much Lulu sold compared to Death Magnetic, it was a total flop sales wise.
Kincaid - 09.01.2012 at 20:28
Meh... whatever 'tallica seriously
Array - 09.01.2012 at 20:49
'Our next album will be a heavier Black Album' / Rolling Stone, NME
Behdad K2 - 09.01.2012 at 21:09
Written by Angelic Storm on 09.01.2012 at 19:34

Written by Behdad K2 on 08.01.2012 at 14:25
They release Lulu, it sells.

I know, I was just joking about "Metallica sell whatever they do" stuff.

Lulu was a success for Metallica! They did what they haven't been able to do! They created something that people didn't like! )
afu - 09.01.2012 at 21:17
Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.01.2012 at 17:10

I think 3D has a bigger relevance to the story than bitching about them selling out. If putting a film in theaters is selling out, then did Anthrax, Megadeth, and Slayer sell out with Metallica when the Big 4 concert was broadcast to theaters? What about Led Zeppelin and Pink Floyd?
Angelic Storm - 09.01.2012 at 23:41
Written by Behdad K2 on 09.01.2012 at 21:09
I know, I was just joking about "Metallica sell whatever they do" stuff.

Ah okay, fair enough then. hehe

They created something people didn't like a long time before Lulu. The difference with Lulu is, even many of the staunchest supporters of their post-90' output baulked at it!
Troy Killjoy - 10.01.2012 at 02:49
Written by afu on 09.01.2012 at 21:17

You're asking me about a load of bands I have no interest in. But for the sake of making you upset, yes. All of those bands are sellouts.
afu - 10.01.2012 at 06:53
LoL. Just because I disagree with you doesn't mean you're upsetting me. I just think it's ridiculous.
Misfit74 - 10.01.2012 at 08:46
Written by @gent_-_orange on 09.01.2012 at 18:59

Or his Wah pedal. It would be like watching PacMan...
JohnDoe - 10.01.2012 at 14:43
Written by afu on 09.01.2012 at 21:17

Written by Troy Killjoy on 09.01.2012 at 17:10

Do NOT compare Metallica with Pink Floyd and Zeppelin, their not in the same league. I guess you are talking about Zeppelin's The Song Remains the same and The Wall. These are two really good movies. Are you that naive that Metallica's future 3D movie would be as good?

There's nothing wrong with putting out documentaries and concert dvds. They can do that, I don't mind, I would even buy something like that. But I for one do not understand how a 3d movie can be something good or relevant to the band's career. How will the 3D make things better or make the movie more watchable. If I want to see them perform I would go to see them live (I did that already) or buy a concert dvd.

Who is the target audience for this movie? Only people that like these 3D tricks and are fanboys.
afu - 11.01.2012 at 00:56
Written by JohnDoe on 10.01.2012 at 14:43

First of all, Metallica is in the same league as them. They've sold upwards of 100 million albums and have a fan base that covers the world, just as Zep and Floyd do. Any comments about the merit of songwriting are subjective and useless.

Second, a 3D movie is just fucking cool, in my opinion. It does add something. When I was a very young kind, my parents to me to Disneyland and I saw Captain E-O by Micheal Jackson. I was only about 7 and it blew my mind. It was great to see a realistic Michael Jackson dancing and singing in front of me. The technology has become better since the mid-80's, so I would expect a better experience (and I'd enjoy it more, since I actually like Metallica).

Third, of course it's for fans. They wouldn't make a movie for fans of (insert different genre/pop band) to go see. I imagine that many metal fans were not rushing out in 1990 to see U2's Rattle and Hum, but it wasn't made for them. A similar argument would be for someone who despises horror movies to bitch about any particular scary movie being released, because they are not the target audience.
Troy Killjoy - 11.01.2012 at 01:09
Written by afu on 11.01.2012 at 00:56

PF = over 200m, Zep closer to 300m. 100m is impressive, but they aren't in the same league.
afu - 11.01.2012 at 01:53
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.01.2012 at 01:09

Written by afu on 11.01.2012 at 00:56

Both bands have more than 10 years on Metallica and, in Zeps case, was performing a style of music which was extremely popular and was already mined by The Rolling Stones, The Yardbirds, Cream, and others. Of all the zillions of bands out there, Metallica is the 49th best selling band ever and is the best selling metal band in the world. I'd say that places them in the same league, considering how (non-glam) metal has never been the dominant genre in the US, where most records are sold. Even Metallica's Golden Goose, self titled album hit during grunge and still managed to sell a shitload of albums.

Also, Metallica are still a functioning unit and both of the other bands released their movies during their functional periods; 36 years ago for Zep; 30 years ago for Floyd. It is certain their album sales were much smaller at those times. Zeppelin had been a band for about 8 years. Floyd had been a band for about 12 years. Metallica's been around for about 30 years.

So, 100 million records isn't as much as the older bands, but I think it's splitting hairs to say that they aren't in the same league when most bands don't even approach the level of sales that any of the bands have achieved.
Troy Killjoy - 11.01.2012 at 01:55
Written by afu on 11.01.2012 at 01:53

I don't think 4 releases written in the '80s constitutes them as a metal band, but to each their own. As a rock band they still haven't broke the 200m mark. You wanted to be objective about their status and I'm just pointing out, objectively, the numbers.
afu - 11.01.2012 at 06:16
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.01.2012 at 01:55

Written by afu on 11.01.2012 at 01:53

Ok, so knock the differences in time off the numbers. According to RIAA, Zep was certified at about 90 million through 1999. Floyd was certified at about 60 million by 1996. This is just USA, but it is the bulk of the album sales globally. Metallica to date has been certified for about 76.5 million in the USA. Since 2012 just began, that even gives the Zep and Floyd an advantage in numbers. I would say that places Metallica in the same league as the aforementioned bands and as you pointed out earlier, digital piracy is now a problem, so Metallica has been at a further disadvantage for 12-14 years of potential sales that have been eroded by piracy.

They are a major act and releasing a movie isn't any different than any other major act releasing a movie.
Troy Killjoy - 11.01.2012 at 06:21
Written by afu on 11.01.2012 at 06:16

All that being said, this is just another attempt at breaking through to the mainstream (as if they haven't done that already) by way of jumping on a trend. 3D movies are "in" right now. Of course Metallica will make a 3D movie.

And that being said, I can't judge it until I see it. As far as I'm concerned, however, it's not likely going to compare with the likes of The Wall.
afu - 11.01.2012 at 08:48
Written by Troy Killjoy on 11.01.2012 at 06:21

The already are mainstream and they've been steering that course for a long time. That's part of the reason why I'm finding all of this funny. I'd lump them in with U2, PF, and Zep as far being mainstream, famous, and releasing a film.

Quote:

Agreed. lol
JohnDoe - 12.01.2012 at 01:53
Written by afu on 11.01.2012 at 00:56

Written by JohnDoe on 10.01.2012 at 14:43

I wasn't even thinking of albums sales when saying Metallica is not in the same leage as Floyd and Zeppelin, just creativity and songwriting...

I did not say the 3D movie is for "fans", but for fanboys". "Fanboy" has a totally negative connotation, musical fanaticism at its most ridicule.
And the viewers that love these 3D tricks.

Like Troy said, the band are jumping on the 3D trend; it's possible its not their idea (maybe someone from the Metallica business machine), I'm surprised the band accepted the idea.

But after Lulu, nothing shocks me from this once great band...
Spanishkiller - 13.01.2012 at 01:04
3D is a great way of hiding producers' lack of talent. I don't expect any good news about Metallica anymore.
Daniell - 13.01.2012 at 19:42
If I want to see shit in 3D, I will look in my toilet after number 2. No need to waste time going to the cinema.
Troy Killjoy - 13.01.2012 at 22:03
Written by Daniell on 13.01.2012 at 19:42
If I want to see shit in 3D, I will look in my toilet after number 2.

Best response in this thread.

And there have been some pretty funny comments.
Misfit74 - 14.01.2012 at 00:02
Written by Daniell on 13.01.2012 at 19:42
If I want to see shit in 3D, I will look in my toilet after number 2.

Now that is hilarious.
Andreas - 15.01.2012 at 00:46
Written by afu on 11.01.2012 at 00:56

Am I the only one who likes it how someone's memories as a kid and Michael Jackson are used in the same sentence?
Carl Berg - 15.01.2012 at 02:26
Metallica sells, but who's buying?

Not me.
afu - 15.01.2012 at 07:09
Written by Andreas on 15.01.2012 at 00:46

Written by afu on 11.01.2012 at 00:56

LOL
JCJen7 - 17.01.2012 at 09:35
Written by Troy Killjoy on 07.01.2012 at 23:07

Back in the day they refused to make music videos. Oh wait, music videos make you money? Music video created.
Then they started writing radio-friendly music to be played on rock stations. Money.
Then they pump out more useless shit like Garbage Days and some lame attempt at collaborating with a symphony.
Then St. Anger. Then Dick Boss producing Megadethnetic. Then the pretentious Loutallica.
And now a movie.

Hmm, not quite sure what most of these have to do with money though.

There are several interviews of them in the 80's pretty much saying that they don't make videos because they think they can make bands look stupid, and if they found a song and an idea for a video they liked, they'd do it. (Sure, they've made themselves look stupid in many-a-video since than haha)

And about their "radio-friendly" music, I have never really understood that either. I mean, along the whole extremity scale, I'd say thier 90's stuff is around bands like AC/DC or the more edgy side of the Scorpions. Yet, I don't hear people giving them shit for making songs that gets played on the radio. Is it because they started out faster, then got more melodic?

S&M is just a live album, I mean, I think it's kind of cool. and if fans like it, doesn't that give it some credibility. And Garage Inc. is kinda cool too, I especially like the Mercyful Fate mashup (Mercyful Fate) and the Sabbath mashup (Sabbra Cadabra).

What does St. Anger have to do with money? Why did you combine Megadeth's name with Death Magnetic? What do you have against Rick Rubin? He has produced some good albums. And, Lulu is their worst selling album in a long time, something they probably saw coming.

I am sorry to sound like I'm defending Metallica at every corner, I just really don't understand what any of these points have to do with money.

Oh, and the whole movie thing? Yeah, I'll give you that one, lol.
rambof07 - 17.07.2012 at 19:55
Really it's great news for movies lovers and it's too much good to know about that it is coming in 3d format will will make the audience experience better and more entertainment.

Pages: 1 [2]

News Metallica - Release Two New Movie Clips 6 09.09.2013 by WarriorFenix
News Metallica - 3D Movie Title And Release Date Revealed 6 16.01.2013 by gav1230
News Sonisphere Switzerland - Metallica Confirmed As Headliners 6 16.02.2012 by Cynic Metalhead
News Metallica - Confirmed For Heavy Montréal, Free Download Of '86 Show 6 04.03.2014 by Hellcult
News Metallica - Debut Upcoming 3D Movie Trailer 6 23.05.2013 by LeChron James