Swedish black metallers Shining have debuted the cover version of the song "For My Demons", originally from Katatonia's album Tonight's Decision, which is currently streaming online at the band's Soundcloud page. This cover will be featured on the band's upcoming EP titled Lots Of Girls Gonna Get Hurt, set for release through Spinefarm Records on May 16th. More details about this EP were previously reported here.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Shining

Posted: 04.05.2012 by BloodTears

Comments

reinka0s - 04.05.2012 at 13:53
Awesome cover!
InnerSelf - 04.05.2012 at 15:04
I like it more than the original song but still didn't find anything special about it maybe because I've always hated For My Demons
!J.O.O.E.! - 04.05.2012 at 16:34
Only cover of this lot I care to hear and what a total waste of a cover it was. Trying to sound as much as like the original is possible totally defeats the point of covering something. Forgettable and worthless.
JD - 04.05.2012 at 16:42
Not bad, but I still prefer the original one
Slayer666 - 04.05.2012 at 18:36
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 04.05.2012 at 16:34

Amen. Majorly disappointed. I was expecting a more black metal flavored "For My Demons", or something to be different, at least.

The fact that the vocalist (is it Kvarforth? I can't tell) tries too hard to match Renkse and fails spectacularly doesn't help much either.
Mr. Doctor - 04.05.2012 at 18:46
Written by InnerSelf on 04.05.2012 at 15:04

Why do you hate that song so much?
I'm not a fan of Tonight's Decision as a whole either, but I find that song one of the good ones of the album worth listening That one, I Am Nothing and Right into the Bliss are the only good ones... it could have been a nice EP. I don't know why you preffer this one, Kvarforth really fucked up the vocals :s

Oh well, tastes! xD
!J.O.O.E.! - 04.05.2012 at 19:04
Written by Slayer666 on 04.05.2012 at 18:36

Yeah Renkse really has that "I'm actually not a great clean singer but I manage to come across as understated as possible that it somehow works" thing down to a T, whereas on this Kvarforth (I assume) just sounds shaky and a bit rubbish.
Paradox0 - 04.05.2012 at 19:25
I think the Shining cover has a more haunting quality to it, although Jonas does have a more defeated contemplative approach. I never listened to Shining so I guess I don't have much to expect.
H_E_L - 04.05.2012 at 19:52
This is so horribly wrong in so many ways...
Troy Killjoy - 04.05.2012 at 22:55
Fuck off. Came here expecting something twisted, left wondering why I just listened to some amateurs trying to cover an already bland song.

I guess this entire EP is going to be shameless attempts at covering old songs exactly the way they sounded originally. Grow some balls and give it your own voice, Kvarforth. >>
InnerSelf - 05.05.2012 at 00:36
Written by Mr. Doctor on 04.05.2012 at 18:46

Why do you hate that song so much?

Oh well, tastes! xD

I only heard it once (the cover I mean) and after reading your comment I realized how much the image of Shining has been damaged to me because of the last album, it didn't even occur to me that this is Shining ... you know as in Halmstad and The Eerie Cold !
listening to it again, it seems like an insult saying that I like this over the original song, at least Katatonia created it not badly covered it
Pazdzioch - 05.05.2012 at 02:51
Kvarforth get a grip...
AngelofDeth - 05.05.2012 at 07:13
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.05.2012 at 22:55

For real! this song wouldve have actually sounded sick with a Shining twist to it.. fail
Kenos - 05.05.2012 at 09:44
Useless and vapid.

Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 04.05.2012 at 16:34

A friend of mine commented on Soundcloud with the same words and they removed his post. Is that normal?
Warman - 05.05.2012 at 10:39
I like it, but it mostly reminded me to listen to the original again. Love that whole album. And I know I'm nagging about it, but the Kent and Imperiet covers are the ones I'm mostly interested in.
!J.O.O.E.! - 05.05.2012 at 19:08
Written by Guest on 05.05.2012 at 09:44

Hmm I dunno. I've never really used Soundcloud other than to listen to the odd song. Maybe their comment moderating is hella harsh.
Mr. Doctor - 05.05.2012 at 22:20
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 05.05.2012 at 19:08

Written by Guest on 05.05.2012 at 09:44

In this case hella harsh = vagina full of sand.
Fritillaria - 05.05.2012 at 23:01
So as they failed with this one I don't have hope with carnival of rust, apart from that really what's the point in this album covering songs that they are tryin to sound like the original ones ?
psykometal - 06.05.2012 at 02:34
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.05.2012 at 22:55

LOL! I can only imagine how pissed you must be since Kvarforth is like one of your idols (I'm assuming so based on the fact that your last couple images here on MS have been live shots of him)...
Troy Killjoy - 06.05.2012 at 06:00
Written by psykometal on 06.05.2012 at 02:34

Musically I'd definitely consider him somewhat of an idol. I mean, I have fanboy tendencies when it comes to Amon Amarth, Insomnium, Darkthrone, Process of Guilt, Esoteric, the Quebec black metal scene, and Shining. So when my fanboy mentality is questioned by such an awful attempt at re-creating something like this, it really upsets me. I dunno, I know it's only a cover EP and hopefully it isn't a reflection of things to come in terms of their next full-length, but presently I'm definitely not happy with what I'm listening to.

Kvarforth is more than creative enough to give songs like this is own special sense of darkness. But when he restricts himself or whatever by simply coloring by numbers so to speak, he really fails miserably.
Tristus Scriptor - 06.05.2012 at 19:48