"Dead Letters", a brand new song from Swedish metallers Katatonia has been made available online for streaming. The song is taken from their upcoming album Dead End Kings, which will be released on August 27th (Europe) and August 28th (North America) via Peaceville Records. You can listen to "Dead Letters" on the lyric video below and download the song here.

The band posted the following: "We're proud to present to you the first glimpse into the world we've been living in for the last half a year. Instead of giving you just a snippet of audio, we decided to give you a 'lyric video' for a full song also showcasing some of the exquisite artwork to be found inside the album. We hope you will enjoy one of many diverse and different sides found on Dead End Kings by starting off with 'Dead Letters', one the most heavy and progressive songs to be found on the album and certainly a new live classic. Crank it a couple (or hundred) of times and then let us know what you think!"

[Also thanks to Dark Blood for sending in this news!]

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Katatonia

Posted: 20.06.2012 by Spring Thorns

Comments

Swietowit11 - 20.06.2012 at 20:23
Hell yes! This bodes well for the new album. I like that they're taking the progressive elements of the last two even further. My only hope is that there aren't as many slower songs as there were on the last album. That really made it drag a bit for me.
BaneConall - 20.06.2012 at 20:34
Awesome song! Really looking forward to this album.
Slyfang - 20.06.2012 at 20:53
They keep getting proggier and proggier, but still refuse to let any song touch even 6 minutes.
strade - 20.06.2012 at 22:21
Love the guitar tone and keyboards. It looks like they're progressing even further past the NitND style into some slightly 'happier' pasture, but if the results turn out this well, I won't be complaining. Bravo.
!J.O.O.E.! - 20.06.2012 at 22:24
Sounded exactly like I expected it to. Unfortunately.
MELANCOHOLIC - 20.06.2012 at 23:53
Sounded exactly like I expected it to. Fortunately.
The artwork is badass!!
Ozman - 21.06.2012 at 00:03
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 20.06.2012 at 22:24

Sounded exactly like I expected it to. Unfortunately.

100% agreed. So mind numbingly boring it's unbelievable. Now excuse while I revisit Viva Emptiness which is still by far their best in their new style.
!J.O.O.E.! - 21.06.2012 at 00:12
Written by Ozman on 21.06.2012 at 00:03

I'll probably do that same to be honest. With every new record they release the sweeter Viva Emptiness tastes.
Opethian - 21.06.2012 at 01:22
Love It! Get to see these guys with Devin Townsend in September!
MetalSpider - 21.06.2012 at 01:31
I love what I'm hearing! Can't wait to hear the whole album.
JohnDoe - 21.06.2012 at 01:34
It is quite predictable, but still, not bad at all.
Dark Blood - 21.06.2012 at 02:11
Damn you Spring Thorns! You beat me to it!

The song's not bad, but they've done so much better. I hope the album has better songs.
Kuroboshi - 21.06.2012 at 03:07
It's better than their most boring album, Viva Emptiness, which is a good sign.
Mr. Blonde - 21.06.2012 at 05:31
I'm liking it so far. I can't argue against it's predictability. But... keep in mind, that the first song used to promote a new album is often chosen for it's familiarity and for it's ability to allow even casual fans to instantly recognize the band.
Opethian - 21.06.2012 at 07:18
Written by Kuroboshi on 21.06.2012 at 03:07

It's better than their most boring album, Viva Emptiness, which is a good sign.

Viva Emptiness is good, but the thing about Katatonia is that for me, its difficult to point out my favorite. Tbh, anything from 'Tonight's Decision and onward is totally worth checking out. I Love these guys and i can't wait for 'Dead End Kings'
Sworn - 21.06.2012 at 08:11
Sounds better than I expected, hope the rest of the album has the same quality.
Slayer666 - 21.06.2012 at 10:40
The fuck is this? Where is the atmosphere, where is their trademark melancholy, that subtle feeling of sadness and grief?

Oh, that's right. Lost in the pseudo-prog wankery. Bleh, just bleh. Even Renkse sounds muffled and bored. I won't be surprised if this turns out to be even crappier than Viva Emptiness.
BloodTears - 21.06.2012 at 12:36
I'm actually liking the song somehow.
Kuroboshi - 21.06.2012 at 12:41
Written by Slayer666 on 21.06.2012 at 10:40

Renkse have ALWAYS sounded bored. That's his trademark.
IronAngel - 21.06.2012 at 13:04
Aww, this is garbage. The first Katatonia album I won't buy. I regret getting the previous two, too. They've lost their touch long ago.

Also:
Written by Swietowit11 on 20.06.2012 at 20:23

lolwut? Nephilim was like the only great song on that album. Onward Into Battle was nice too, and I think it was on the slower side.
Slyfang - 21.06.2012 at 13:19
SATAN DEMANDS MOAR CHILDISH WHINING
Vityaz - 21.06.2012 at 17:04
For me sounds a bit like "Great cold distance" and that is good.
Kenos - 21.06.2012 at 19:57
I've heard the album and I have to say one or two things about it:
Those who didn't like NITND will dislike DEK even more.
Rock elements are drastically reduced, Jonas' vocals are more spontaneous but at the same time less catchy. It's all about the interpretation, I think. Refrains aren't immediate at all.
The strange thing is that this is the first Katatonia album which sounds strictly related to the previous one.

As for my opinion: I was hoping for a development of the sound of NITND and here it is. Sure it didn't leave me astonished like Night did but I adore it and I'm looking forward to hearing it with the right audio quality.

And this song is absolutely great.
Slayer666 - 22.06.2012 at 12:00
Written by Kuroboshi on 21.06.2012 at 12:41

Renkse have ALWAYS sounded bored. That's his trademark.

Not to me. He sounded exhausted, weary (which helped build the overall melancholic mood) but certainly not bored.

On this track, he sounds like he'd much rather be at home, flipping TV channels than perform on the album.
Apatheria - 22.06.2012 at 12:04
Eh. I daresay Katatonia's lost it. I'm less impressed with this than I was with "Forsaker" from the last album at the time of that track's release.

They keep incorporating more modern, proggy riffs into their repetoire and just aren't finding a way to make it evoke their trademark melancholy atmospheres.

Bummer.
Cassian - 22.06.2012 at 16:05
Exactly what I have been expecting from an exceptional band like Katatonia.
His voice, the mood, the atmosphere, the harsh guitar, the melodic keyboard... they just blend perfectly.
Can't wait.
Mr. Doctor - 14.08.2012 at 11:20
Written by Slayer666 on 21.06.2012 at 10:40
I won't be surprised if this turns out to be even crappier than Viva Emptiness.

How could you even compare them. Bleh, just bleh... But then again, it's you.
Troy Killjoy - 14.08.2012 at 15:10
This sounds like Tool if Tool sucked.
3dd - 14.08.2012 at 18:13
C'mon wake up guys, DOESN'T LOWER YOUR STANDARDS!

This song fucking sucks, where's the feeling? This is the trademark of them. They are just doing they job to get paid, nothing more.

What the fuck, really. Not this again.

Doesn't get me wrong, I WAS a diehard fan of Katatonia, but I gave up of this band a long time ago.

Written by Slayer666 on 21.06.2012 at 10:40

Sad true, that's all I've been thinking to say. Except the mention of Viva Emptiness, it's a great album.

News Katatonia - Another New Lyric Video Online 9 05.09.2013 by Dentura