For Today guitarist Mike Reynolds is at the center of the storm after remarks he made on Twitter regarding homosexuality and religion. The guitarist reportedly responded to this article claiming that "homosexuality is a sin". This generated a huge negative feedback and following this controversy, For Today announced that the guitarist is no longer part of the band as he decided to enroll in Bible college.

Tweets from Mike Reynolds: "There IS a state church being formed, there is going to be an exclusive acceptance of preachers who advocate the LGBT. Don't be deceived, homosexuality is a sin. This sin with all other sins is what Jesus died for. He conquered so that we would be free.

No such thing as a gay Christian, the same as there is no such thing as a Christian who loves his sin. Don't be fooled by the formation of a state church as though the government is being converted, they only use the name of Jesus for their Progressive liberal agenda. If you are a Christian then separate yourself from this civil religion that advocates sin. Be true to God."

He continued on his Facebook account.

Statement from the band: "Mike Reynolds is no longer a part of For Today. He has decided that now is the time for he and his wife to put their plans in motion to enroll in bible college, and to begin working toward full-time missions work in the Middle East. Mike will be replaced by long-time friend of the band, and former In The Midst Of Lions guitar player, Sam Penner, who will be appearing with the band as they headline their upcoming Fight The Silence tour."

"For today has always and will always be a band that is about loving people, we have no hatred towards any people regardless of what they believe or how they live. We may not agree on everything but Jesus loves you and died for you. And so would we. Blessings, For Today"

The band's frontman Mattie Montgomery also released a public statement to anyone affected by Mike's recent comments regarding homosexuality.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: For Today

Posted: 12.01.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

MauricioVeiga - 12.01.2013 at 15:23
I really hate christianity... i really do, i don't want to offend anyone, but yeah, that's who i feel
but i have to ask, Metalstorm has such restricted rules to admit bands and i have tried to put some really good bands in here, and they still are on the suggestions list, and yet this irrelevant screamcore or metalcore or whatever you wanna call it its here...
is there anyone a fan of this homophobic Metalcore act here? if there are you are an offence to the classic Judas Priest who participated in the roots of Heavy Metal! keep is mind that i said this in a playful way but i do mean it
but i don't want to be kick out of the site:(
Sync - 12.01.2013 at 15:40
What a silly billy ^_^
hadriel - 12.01.2013 at 16:06
Good riddance I suppose
Lit. - 12.01.2013 at 16:45
And stay gone!
Boxcar Willy - 12.01.2013 at 16:57
Nazi punks fuck off.
Mr. Doctor - 12.01.2013 at 17:09
Written by MauricioVeiga on 12.01.2013 at 15:23
is there anyone a fan of this homophobic Metalcore act here?

In defense of the band (which I've never heard a single note from): The band isn't homophobic, that would imply that everyone in the band is. Which definitely doesn't seem that way if you see the response by the frontman who took care of things with respect and carefulness.
Dark Blood - 12.01.2013 at 18:07
Total respect for the frontman of the band for stepping forward and taking responsibility over something that wasn't really his.
Promonex - 12.01.2013 at 18:29
After having read the Facebook clarification it seems to my like the guy just proclaimed "hate the sin", but not "hate the sinner". Nothing wrong with that in my opinion. It's just sticking to the rules of Christianity. That Christianity is full of logical fallacies, with the assumption that the word of humans like Paul, Luke, Moses and whatever their names are would be the word of God probably being the biggest fallacy of all, is another story.
~Starchild~ - 12.01.2013 at 19:02
Written by Promonex on 12.01.2013 at 18:29

Problem with this "hate the sin but not the sinner" thing is, you cannot separate homosexuality (the sin) and a homosexual person (the "sinner"). Christians got that believe that homosexuality is a choice, which is completely false. So when you're saying homosexuality is sin you are in fact discriminating against all homosexuals. It's the same as if you say being black is a sin but you have nothing against a black person. It's ridiculous. Bigotry hidden behind pseudo-tolerant bullshit ("My intention was not to isolate the LGBT community") is still bigotry.
silenius - 12.01.2013 at 19:14
Gay people are awesome, i hope that fuck suffers from erectile disfunction!
atmo1221 - 12.01.2013 at 21:00
Blah Christainity..blah sin....blah homos....blah hate....blah choices....blah life....then we die. no heaven? No hell? Just the dirt I get buried in...okay good I was right!
Mr. Doctor - 12.01.2013 at 21:03
Written by ~Starchild~ on 12.01.2013 at 19:02

Written by Promonex on 12.01.2013 at 18:29

Thank you so much. Couldn't have said it any better myself.
Uldreth - 12.01.2013 at 21:08
Written by MauricioVeiga on 12.01.2013 at 15:23

is there anyone a fan of this homophobic Metalcore act here?

Blah blah blah, yeah, Breaker was a pretty fine album, would not call myself fan though.
Slayer666 - 12.01.2013 at 21:25
Oh boy, the ridiculous things people choose to waste their time on nowadays... -_-
Lokaeda - 12.01.2013 at 22:05
Written by Mr. Doctor on 12.01.2013 at 21:03

Couldn't have said it any better myself.

Neither could have I.
Machiavelli - 12.01.2013 at 22:50
He may hate the sin and not the sinner but I guarantee you my hate for people like Mike Reynolds eclipses anything their little brainwashed minds can conjure.
Promonex - 12.01.2013 at 23:50
Written by ~Starchild~ on 12.01.2013 at 19:02

Being homosexual is not the sin, practicing homosexuality is ("Thou shalt not lie with a man as with a woman; it is an abomination"). Even if you're homosexual, it's your choice to follow your nature or not. You probably know as well as I that there are a lot of covert homosexuals out there that live in heterosexual relationships because they fear the condemnation of family, society or deity.

Written by ~Starchild~ on 12.01.2013 at 19:02

Actually he just stated, if you choose to practice homosexuality, you are not welcome in our religious group. You have the choice to practice homosexuality or to betray yourself and follow the religion/denomination. And for me that's perfectly fine. If you don't like the rules of a specific religious group, just join one with a codex and a liturgy you can deal with. I'm sure there must be liberal Christian groups who don't consider the bible as the be-all and end-all of their religion. Those who eat pork (forbidden by Leviticus 11:8), shellfish (Leviticus 11:10) or wear fabric blends (Leviticus 19:19) or even tattoos (Leviticus 19:28) for example.
Ritual_Suicide - 13.01.2013 at 03:24
Y'know who else is living in sin, men without beards.

LICH - 13.01.2013 at 03:44
Bible college ? nigga u gay.
thundercunt - 13.01.2013 at 03:48
Brotha betta watch yo words, i call a cat a ni**a here once and a staff member gamme a warnin
jus look at my profile fo proof dawg
~Starchild~ - 13.01.2013 at 04:07
Written by Promonex on 12.01.2013 at 23:50

Actually, he didn't just state that. He clearly said: "homosexuality is a sin" and referred to homosexuality as a sin several times in his statement. You may call that "sticking to the rules of Christianity", I still call that bigotry, discrimination and hate speech hidden behind religion. (And I am aware all of these other things written in the bible, especially Leviticus, but I'm not gonna start with the Christian's cherry picking, I wouldn't find an end).

Written by Promonex on 12.01.2013 at 23:50

You're right that -according to the bible- "practising homosexuality" is the sin. But unfortunately, this problem is much bigger. In reality, the majority of the Christians does not make this difference between homosexuality and its practise. Just go on some random homo-friendly facebook page and read some comments. They do condemn the homosexuals and so does the church. And as long as religious institutions and people like Mike Reynolds can hide behind "religious freedom" to spread their hate and people do not even consider this as a problem, it is no wonder that so many gays are still afraid to come out and that the suicide rate of homosexuals is 4-7 times higher than the one of heterosexuals.
Crucifux - 13.01.2013 at 04:35
Sounds like a nutcase. It was awfully sweet of his former bandmate to apologize on his behalf though, respect for that.
PocketMetal - 13.01.2013 at 09:06
This "Jesus died for people" is the stupidest concept I've ever heard of . and according to Islam which is supposed to come from the same God , Jesus didn't even die . not that I believe in any of these religions.
Cynic Metalhead - 13.01.2013 at 09:59
Mr Promonex is teaching us some really good stuff. Pay attention idiots.
Angelic Storm - 13.01.2013 at 10:17
I wonder if Mike Reynolds realises that having tattoos is also considered a sin in the bible? In Leviticus, no less, the same section of the bible that contains the infamous "homosexuals are an abomination" bit. The hypocrisy of these so-called "Christians" knows no bounds...
Lokaeda - 13.01.2013 at 15:07
Written by ~Starchild~ on 13.01.2013 at 04:07

They do condemn the homosexuals and so does the church.

Besides, no matter what the subject is, many believers will go beyond what Church says ; When Church officials "just" say "homosexuality is a sin" a lot of people will turn it into "kill the fags for they have sinned". When the officials have to balance their message a bit (so they don't appear too intolerant, or at least try not to) a lot of believers (in France, in the USA, and anywhere else) won't be that nice and will head for the extreme. Since these believers are in daily contact with homosexual people, no wonder a lot prefer to "hide".

So of course Church has to change its message and start being reasonable (and not only on that subject). But most importantly, some of the believers have to stop being fucking antique, Middle-Age-fashionned cunts.
infernaldeath87 - 13.01.2013 at 17:52
Everyone has a right to their own opinions. I don't understand why everyone is getting butt-hurt over this!
Lokaeda - 13.01.2013 at 17:55
Written by infernaldeath87 on 13.01.2013 at 17:52

Do you imply we should be tolerant towards intolerance?
infernaldeath87 - 13.01.2013 at 17:57
Written by Lokaeda on 13.01.2013 at 17:55

Written by infernaldeath87 on 13.01.2013 at 17:52

Do you imply we should be tolerant towards intolerance?

It's not intolerance, it's standing up for what you believe in, even when others condemn you for it.
Mr. Doctor - 13.01.2013 at 19:04
Riiiiiiiiiiight.

Also, I'm yet to see butthurt people here. Just a discussion.
!J.O.O.E.! - 13.01.2013 at 19:19
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 13.01.2013 at 09:59

Mr Promonex is teaching us some really good stuff. Pay attention idiots.

Actually I'm learning more from Starchild.
Mr. Doctor - 13.01.2013 at 19:22
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 13.01.2013 at 19:19

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 13.01.2013 at 09:59
Mr Promonex is teaching us some really good stuff. Pay attention idiots.

Actually I'm learning more from Starchild.

Psssss! Hey Joe... Over here! Pssssss!

[whisper]I think he was joking[/whisper]
!J.O.O.E.! - 13.01.2013 at 19:28
Written by Mr. Doctor on 13.01.2013 at 19:22

Psssss! Hey Joe... Over here! Pssssss!

[whisper]I think he was joking[/whisper]

I think you forget who you're talking about
Mr. Doctor - 13.01.2013 at 19:30
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 13.01.2013 at 19:28
I think you forget who you're talking about

Yeah, but sometimes I like to have faith in certain people... Hence the word "think".
odcrl - 14.01.2013 at 08:14
All of you give metal a bad name
thundercunt - 14.01.2013 at 16:46
I hope this cat don think we brothas givin metal a bad name jus cuz we tolerate gays
specially considerin one a the biggest metal bands has a gay singer
Promonex - 15.01.2013 at 00:52
Written by ~Starchild~ on 13.01.2013 at 04:07

To be honest, I don't consider religious freedom as a problem. You can't embrace diversity and pluralism if you exclude opinions you don't like. Everybody is entitled to his opinion in my book. What I do consider a problem however is religion's claim to be correct and infallible in combination with its massive impact it has on society and the stupidity of people. So it's true, I don't consider it a problem that he has a homophobic opinion, but I do consider it a problem that religious people think they know they are right when they only believe they are right. And I consider it a problem that these people have a strong political lobby, especially in the US. So yeah, I didn't really take the context into account when making the last post. And this is actually too broad a subject to delve into it any deeper, even though I'd love to. Just ain't got the time and the nerve for it now.

Anyway, here's a beautiful blog post about this subject of homosexuality in the eyes of Christianity: http://www.danoah.com/2011/11/im-christian-unless-youre-gay.html
~Starchild~ - 15.01.2013 at 16:46
Written by Promonex on 15.01.2013 at 00:52

Ok, I'm not gonna bother you any longer Just wanted to clarify one last thing:
Written by Promonex on 15.01.2013 at 00:52

I don't consider religious freedom as a problem, however, in my opinion, it ends where you start to bully other people. These are not trivial opinions like when I say "I think R'n'B sucks", it's hate speech. For me this is exactly the same as an extreme right-wing political party which is discriminating against blacks. It's not an opinion, it's incitement of the people. And that has nothing to do with "embracing diversity and pluralism", I consider that as tolerating or even accepting intolerance which, in itself, is for me already a problem and is something I will never do. It hasn't anything to do with it being "opinions" that I don't like either. I don't like 99% of what Angela Merkel says, but I still think she has the right to speak out.

I do agree with everything you said about knowing and believing and the strong lobby, though. I knew this blog post already, it's really wonderful. Especially knowing that it has changed the world a bit. I don't know if you have read this response of a mother, it immediately went viral as well.
Mr. Doctor - 15.01.2013 at 23:55
Written by ~Starchild~ on 15.01.2013 at 16:46

Exactly.
"Your rights end where mine begin".
Darkside Momo - 18.01.2013 at 21:38
To Promo and Starchild: didn't know both links. Both great reads all around. Inspiring
BloodTears - 18.01.2013 at 21:42
Written by Darkside Momo on 18.01.2013 at 21:38

I read them too. I thought those were good examples and inspiring stories. I hope they are right and things are starting to change.
Darkside Momo - 18.01.2013 at 21:45
Written by BloodTears on 18.01.2013 at 21:42

well the daddy's blog was all about not just hoping, but teaching by example
BloodTears - 18.01.2013 at 21:53
Written by Darkside Momo on 18.01.2013 at 21:45

well the daddy's blog was all about not just hoping, but teaching by example

True that. It's funny because we have same-sex civil unions in Portugal but our society is still largely against it and discriminates LGBT people a lot. We are full of contradictions as is religion.
Darkside Momo - 18.01.2013 at 21:58
Written by BloodTears on 18.01.2013 at 21:53

Written by Darkside Momo on 18.01.2013 at 21:45

well the daddy's blog was all about not just hoping, but teaching by example

In France it's the big societal debate right now. F. Hollande promised gay would have marriage rights during the presidential election, and now the debate is in full swing before the law text is written and discussed in the parliament.
It seems most people just don't care, whatever last sunday's big demonstration tried to prove.
afu - 19.01.2013 at 07:54
They said they would die for me..... Can I get an amen?

Albums For Today - Immortal 4.5 21.04.2012 by gianrufin