Black Sabbath's new studio album, one of the most anticipated releases of the year, already has a title. It will be called 13, so it is only fitting that the heavy metal band announced it today, on January 13th. We know now that it will be released this June (the exact date will be revealed later). The band also revealed what everyone wanted to know: who was the drummer that joined the recording sessions for the new album.

The original Black Sabbath line-up, Ozzy Osbourne (vocals), Tony Iommi (guitar) and Geezer Butler (bass), recorded the album primarily in Los Angeles and were joined at the sessions by drummer Brad Wilk of Rage Against The Machine fame.

13 was produced by Rick Rubin and the album will be released on Vertigo (worldwide) and Vertigo/Republic in the US. The new studio album also marks the band's return to Vertigo, their original label, apart from being the group's first studio album together since 1978's Never Say Die.

Black Sabbath scheduled tour dates:

4/20 - Auckland, New Zealand - Vector Arena
4/22 - Auckland, New Zealand - Vector Arena
4/25 - Brisbane, Australia - Entertainment Centre
4/27 - Sydney, Australia - All Phones Arena
4/29 - Melbourne, Australia - Rod Laver Arena
5/1 - Melbourne, Australia - Rod Laver Arena
5/4 - Perth, Australia - Perth Arena
5/12 - Tokyo, Japan - Ozzfest - Makuhari Messe

[Also thanks to !J.O.O.E.!]

Source: blacksabbath.com
Band profile: Black Sabbath

Posted: 13.01.2013 by BloodTears

Comments

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: [1] 2

Zaphod - 13.01.2013 at 13:16
Well that hasn't been done before.
Dylan - 13.01.2013 at 14:09
It will probably be mediocre like the other "13"
RaduP - 13.01.2013 at 14:15
Can't wait to hear it! It was 35 years ago that Black Sabbath released an album with Ozzy!
NocturnalStalker - 13.01.2013 at 14:19
I don't know what to expect of it. I really liked what Iommi and Butler did with Dio in Heaven And Hell but I'm really anxious about their reunion with Ozzy...
PocketMetal - 13.01.2013 at 14:34
Could the title be any less original ?
Nemo Atkins - 13.01.2013 at 16:13
I can't help asking this: Black Sabbath have had more than 13 albums, so why call it "13"? Are they referencing the fact it is being released in 2013? I was expecting something a bit more imaginative from these guys (I'll be honest: I was expecting it to be called "The Bible Black", since I don't think they'd done that yet and it would have been a nice reference to "The Devil You Know").

Ah well, it should be a good listen at the very least, if Heaven & Hell was anything to go by...
Bad English - 13.01.2013 at 16:33
Such an awesome line up + one wuss drummer from wuss band
bleak - 13.01.2013 at 16:36
Brad Wilk? Seriously?
Apothecary - 13.01.2013 at 16:37
I'm just really hoping this doesn't come out sounding like Ozzy's solo work. No one wants to hear Black Sabbath sounding like BLS
Daniell - 13.01.2013 at 16:39
You guys apparently have no idea what a great drummer he is.
Marcel Hubregtse - 13.01.2013 at 17:07
Written by Bad English on 13.01.2013 at 16:33

Such an awesome line up + one wuss drummer from wuss band

and once again you show to have no idea about good musicians. Brad Wilk is a great drummer.
Soviet - 13.01.2013 at 17:15
No he isn't^
BoxCar Willy - 13.01.2013 at 17:18
It's not like he's gonna be doing 300bpm gravity blasts here. He'll do good.
7thSlave - 13.01.2013 at 17:50
Written by Soviet on 13.01.2013 at 17:15

No he isn't^

On what basis?
Bad English - 13.01.2013 at 18:02
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.01.2013 at 17:07

Written by Bad English on 13.01.2013 at 16:33

Such an awesome line up + one wuss drummer from wuss band

maybe techiqaly yes but I dont like his band, he dont fits into this line up
they shood ask some lil older guy or somebody also
Lit. - 13.01.2013 at 19:40
Written by Bad English on 13.01.2013 at 18:02

maybe techiqaly yes but I dont like his band, he dont fits into this line up
they shood ask some lil older guy or somebody also

So... just because you don't like the band, he's automatically a bad drummer?
Dick.
!J.O.O.E.! - 13.01.2013 at 19:45
Written by Bad English on 13.01.2013 at 18:02

maybe techiqaly yes but I dont like his band, he dont fits into this line up
they shood ask some lil older guy or somebody also

This makes you a massive poseur more obsessed with image than drumming ability.
Marcel Hubregtse - 13.01.2013 at 19:48
Written by Bad English on 13.01.2013 at 18:02

maybe techiqaly yes but I dont like his band, he dont fits into this line up
they shood ask some lil older guy or somebody also

Jesus H. Christ you are a dumkb **** aren't you? Just because you don't like the band he plays in, he is bad? And on what basis would you say he doesn't fit in the band? He is a great drummer and it is on his abilities he should be judged. But then again you always judge bands on image and such things, so actually there is no use talking with you about music.
Marcel Hubregtse - 13.01.2013 at 19:49
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 13.01.2013 at 19:45

Written by Bad English on 13.01.2013 at 18:02

maybe techiqaly yes but I dont like his band, he dont fits into this line up
they shood ask some lil older guy or somebody also

This makes you a massive poseur more obsessed with image than drumming ability.

Just like MetalPANSY92 he will probably also say Joey Jordison is a bad drummer because he hates Slipknot.
Alex Fenger - 13.01.2013 at 20:05
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 13.01.2013 at 19:49

You mean "Shitknot"
I hate that guy (MetalAndy, not Joey J)
Sir Thrashalot - 13.01.2013 at 20:36
Written by Dylan on 13.01.2013 at 14:09

It will probably be mediocre like the other "13"

I see what you did there lol. I agree.

Unfortunately i don't think this album will be in any way like the old Sabbath albums. It might be good, or might be a money shot. Time will tell but my bet is on option 2.
AndMetalForAll - 13.01.2013 at 20:39
Enormous news, I hope a very heavy album with a lot of Ozzy-era personality
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 13.01.2013 at 20:40
Now that fucking mediocre Megadeth album comes back to my head.....
Crap title, now turned crap producer nowadays. Is he still producing the next Metallica and Slayer albums??

But the Vertigo thing is pretty cool. I never knew that that they were still around....

I hope their Tony Martin albums get that deluxe edition remaster like the rest of them. Looking forward as always.....
Dentura - 13.01.2013 at 20:42
This should be interesting...
RottingDeathHead - 13.01.2013 at 21:11
Who knows they might come out with something mind blowing or more than likely a flop
Ace Frawley - 13.01.2013 at 23:10
I'd like to add my voice to the side advocating for Brad Wilk being a good drummer. I am just learning one of his songs he did with Audioslave and there are some cool beats that he created.
Silent Jay - 13.01.2013 at 23:11
I'm expecting something along the lines of a more upbeat 'The Devil You Know' with Ozzy's usual modern sound voice. Hopefully it will be a good solid album but I won't hold my breath for anything that can hold a candle to their old stuff, obviously. Ozzy always said they won't do a new album unless they are certain the material holds up well and is worthy to have the Black Sabbath name on it. The number '13' has many different meanings and superstitions linked to it over varying cultures and religions. Wiki that shit to find out, then you'll probably know why its such a common album title. No problems with the drummer. Brad Wilk is a good choice and it'll be interesting to hear what he brings to the music but again I'm not holding my breath for anything mindblowing.

I'm looking forward to it. Fuck the haters. SABBATH IS BACK AT LAST!
Ellrohir - 13.01.2013 at 23:41
I am shocked by the level of their originality
LeChron James - 13.01.2013 at 23:46
Shoulda asked HellHammer to do it.
Mattybu - 14.01.2013 at 00:28
Hard to be very excited for this
Opethian - 14.01.2013 at 01:04
YOURE SOOO ORIGINAL!!!
Machiavelli - 14.01.2013 at 01:16
More than likely it will not be good since Ozzy can't sing anymore or perform live.
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 14.01.2013 at 02:37
I just hope that is a waaaaaay much lesser boring version of The Devil You Know

It should have been called Walpurgis...
Marcel Hubregtse - 14.01.2013 at 02:39
Written by Amatsu Mikaboshi on 14.01.2013 at 02:37

I just hope that is a waaaaaay much lesser boring version of The Devil You Know

finally someone who sees The Devil You Know for what it is.
Angelic Storm - 14.01.2013 at 03:08
"The Devil You Know" is far from being boring. But it is definitely the weakest Dio-Sabbath album.

As for this news.... all I can say is, well at least it's not Tommy Clufetos doing the drumming! I'm still really sad about Bill not being involved in this, but Brad Wilk is a very good drummer. And definitely better than Tommy Clufetos, who I assumed was going to be drumming on the album.
Marcel Hubregtse - 14.01.2013 at 03:12
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.01.2013 at 03:08

Nope that would be Dehumanizer by quite a large margin, and yes I know you like the album. but imo it is by far their worst with Dio on vocals. Their best with Dio easily being Mob Rules.
Angelic Storm - 14.01.2013 at 03:16
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.01.2013 at 03:12

Well, seeing as you already know how I feel about "Dehumanizer", it's pretty pointless engaging in a debate about that...

What we can both agree on though, is that "Mob Rules" is an amazing album. It is usually regarded as being the lesser of the first two Dio-Sabbath albums, but I've always slightly preffered it over "Heaven And Hell".
BlueMobius - 14.01.2013 at 04:16
Yeah 13 isn't the most creative title ... and my mind went straight to Anvil's "This is 13" for some reason. However, all the drummer bashing is a little silly.

I mean, I get not liking Rage Against the Machine's music for whatever reason but to say he's not qualified to play in Black Sabbath is quite wrong. I mean we are talking about Black Sabbath here. I saw one person suggest Hellhammer on drums. Really dude? Since when have Black Sabbath required blast beats and breakneck double bass? They just need someone that can play and has good rhythm and groove, which I think anybody familiar with Rage Against the Machine knows Brad Wilk has.
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 14.01.2013 at 06:21
Written by Angelic Storm on 14.01.2013 at 03:16

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.01.2013 at 03:12

Mob Rules has always been the true standout. Heaven & Hell has a few moments I mean really, but Mob Rules...... Is just rifftastic, rifftastic and more rifftastic fun in all different moods
Bad English - 14.01.2013 at 07:40
Written by Ellrohir on 13.01.2013 at 23:41

I am shocked by the level of their originality

finaly someone agrees whit me
Jtbmetal123 - 14.01.2013 at 07:41
I think this album will awesome! Im really looking forward to it.
Bad English - 14.01.2013 at 07:47
Written by Jtbmetal123 on 14.01.2013 at 07:41

I think this album will awesome! Im really looking forward to it.

I think album will be same like Whitchfinder General last albun .... far away from classic, but same time its not bad
we will see how it will go
Jtbmetal123 - 14.01.2013 at 07:48
Written by Bad English on 14.01.2013 at 07:47

Written by Jtbmetal123 on 14.01.2013 at 07:41

I think this album will awesome! Im really looking forward to it.

we will see how it will go

I say it will be a solid 8 out of 10. Ive been waititng to long for a new Sabbath record.
Bad English - 14.01.2013 at 07:51
Written by Jtbmetal123 on 14.01.2013 at 07:48

Written by Bad English on 14.01.2013 at 07:47

Written by Jtbmetal123 on 14.01.2013 at 07:41

I think this album will awesome! Im really looking forward to it.

we will see how it will go

well Sabbath will it be like BS or paranoia or will it be how others , will it be doom or will it be heavy metal?
I wish it will be doom
Cynic Metalhead - 14.01.2013 at 07:57
All i can say is "good luck'".

I will look forward to this new album.
M C Vice - 14.01.2013 at 09:05
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.01.2013 at 03:12

Written by Angelic Storm on 14.01.2013 at 03:08

Nope that would be Dehumanizer by quite a large margin... but imo it is by far their worst with Dio on vocals. Their best with Dio easily being Mob Rules.

It's like looking in a mirror. Everything's reversed.

On drums, I'd rather Vinnie Apice, Bev Bevan or Eric Singer was on it. Can't complain about this guy, though (don't listen to much Rage). Cozy Powell woulda been perfect for this.
Marcel Hubregtse - 14.01.2013 at 12:09
Written by M C Vice on 14.01.2013 at 09:05

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.01.2013 at 03:12

Written by Angelic Storm on 14.01.2013 at 03:08

It's like looking in a mirror. Everything's reversed.

I would say COzy would have been far from perfect because, even though he is a great drummer, he is a hard hitter and what BS needs is a way more subtler drummer who actually has a kind of jazzy thing going on (just like Bill Ward). When Vinnie was in the band I always found him by far the weakest link due to his hard hitting, so, no go for me there as well, Eric SInger too one-dimensional in my opinion. Geting Bev Bevan back in would have worked, so there I agree.
M C Vice - 14.01.2013 at 12:49
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.01.2013 at 12:09

Written by M C Vice on 14.01.2013 at 09:05

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.01.2013 at 03:12

Written by Angelic Storm on 14.01.2013 at 03:08

On drums, I'd rather Vinnie Apice, Bev Bevan or Eric Singer was on it. Cozy Powell woulda been perfect for this.

I mainly meant one of them because they're all ex-Sabbath members, so it would fit the reuinion mood better. If 13 (I guess 19 doesn't sound as good) is like Dehumanizer, Cozy would've probably fitted.
Or they could've been nicer to Bill.
Marcel Hubregtse - 14.01.2013 at 12:51
Written by M C Vice on 14.01.2013 at 12:49

Or they could've been nicer to Bill.

that too, but it was also partly Bill's own fault.
But I have no idea what Bill's drumming would be like nowadays. Het might have deteriorated immensely over the years.

As for your Cozy suggestion, would be funny to see him behind a drum kit now
Unhealer - 14.01.2013 at 22:49
What I expect from this is a couple of good riffs in decent songs.

Pages: [1] 2

News Black Sabbath - Release New Album Cover And Audio Snippet 10.5 05.04.2013 by Angelic Storm
News Heaven And Hell - To Record New Album In 2008 10.5 27.10.2007 by iaberis
News Belphegor - Unveil New Album Title And Release Date 8.5 17.03.2014 by psykometal
News Kreator - Unveil New Album Title And Release Date 8.5 02.02.2012 by Deadmeat
News Electric Wizard - Unveil New Album Title And Cover Art 8.5 01.07.2014 by mz