And the title of the upcoming Opeth album is... Pale Communion! Roadrunner Records just unveiled the fact that the album will hit the stores worldwide on June 17th. Among other things, now we know that Pale Communion was produced by bandleader Mikael Åkerfeldt and mixed by longtime collaborator and Porcupine Tree frontman/guitarist Steven Wilson.

The lead single off the album will be "Cusp Of Eternity", available for pre-order starting Tuesday, May 6th. Mikael Åkerfeldt stated: "I wanted to do something more melodic with this album... there's stronger vocal melodies and more melodies overall... I was pretty consistent with that frame of mind throughout the writing process."

The tracklist for Pale Communion reads as follows:

01. Eternal Rains Will Come
02. Cusp Of Eternity
03. Moon Above, Sun Below
04. Elysian Woes
05. Goblin
06. River
07. Voice Of Treason
08. Faith in Others

Do you have a good feeling about this? New music and the album artwork should be unveiled soon.

Mikael Åkerfeldt

Source: roadrunnerrecords.com
Band profile: Opeth

Posted: 08.04.2014 by R Lewis

Comments page 2 of 2

‹‹ Back to the News Pages: 1 [2]

Erik M. - 09.04.2014 at 20:48
Written by Lit. on 08.04.2014 at 20:37

Written by Lethrokai on 08.04.2014 at 20:34

Your thoughts?

Not positive.

Same here. Why does Steven Wilson have to meddle with everything Opeth does? It's damn annoying, that's what that is.
Erik M. - 09.04.2014 at 20:51
Written by deadone on 09.04.2014 at 02:31

I'm hoping for proggy NWOBHM personally.

Then you're probably the only one...
psykometal - 09.04.2014 at 20:56
Written by Erik M. on 09.04.2014 at 20:48

Maybe they're lovers who just haven't come out of the closet to the public yet...
InnerSelf - 09.04.2014 at 21:15
InnerSelf will not allow the negative comments to ruin his boner.
Erik M. - 09.04.2014 at 21:18
Written by psykometal on 09.04.2014 at 18:15

@Troy Because that's what being a fan is all about, right? Expecting bands to conform to the will of the fans, instead of having their own agenda. Bands are supposed to cater to theirs fans, and when they don't, they're just downright selfish pricks. Gah. Figured you would know this kind of stuff by now. >.>

Opeth a.k.a. Mikael Akerfeldt (the dictator) is a selfish... guy. I used to like him a lot, but he kind of ruined it by saying he doesn't care about what Opeth fans want, and he just does whatever suits him and no-one else. I hope you're being sarcastic by the way. I'm not saying Opeth needs to do what most of the fans want, but he should at least be grateful to the fans. Without fans they wouldn't even be popular (or exist) in the first place.

Written by psykometal on 09.04.2014 at 20:56

Yeah, Mikael has 2 daughters and a wife, but apparently that still doesn't stop him from messing around with Steven.
bazinko - 09.04.2014 at 21:34
Written by Erik M. on 09.04.2014 at 20:42

Written by bazinko on 08.04.2014 at 18:56

Opeth never disappoint!

Heritage sure was a disappointment to me and many others.

Heritage was a slow-burner for me. It's all about expectations really... but what I love about Opeth is that they keep on changing. Too many others bands revel in their glory days and never really break their own mold. Opeth can't stand still!
psykometal - 10.04.2014 at 00:15
Written by Erik M. on 09.04.2014 at 21:18

I hope you're being sarcastic by the way.

Nope. Totally furrealziriuz. 100% fans should dictate every aspect of a band. WE PAY THEIR SALARIES, WE SHOULD GET A RETURN ON OUR INVESTMENTS!!!
Quote:

Wouldn't be the first queer in history to "have a wife and kids" for a cover up.
mz - 10.04.2014 at 00:35
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 09.04.2014 at 12:56

That people will change their opinions entirely based on a few characters of text is quite worrying to be honest and kind of shows how shallow a person is. It's therefore an issue with the listener, not the band.

Forming a new band and publishing stuff under its name would not change the quality of material.If heritage was released under any other name, I still considered it as weak record. It's just a fan wanting his favorite band discography to be only full of great records.
psykometal - 10.04.2014 at 01:04
Written by mz on 10.04.2014 at 00:35

Not necessarily "great records", just records that sound like what the band made their name synonymous with sounding like.

If a band is going to completely change their style and sound from what people expect, then I don't think it's unreasonable for fans to wish they would release said material under a new name. Swordmaster did it, why can't others.
!J.O.O.E.! - 10.04.2014 at 01:13
Written by psykometal on 10.04.2014 at 00:15

We pay for services, i.e. live shows, and we pay for products, i.e. merch and music media. It's not like we fund their activities before the music is made without getting something for it. They have the right to do whatever they want with their music, and we have the right to buy or not to buy their wares. We don't have the right to dictate what they can and can't do
slayerules - 10.04.2014 at 01:30
The good news is that it's very easy for this album to be better than the previous one. Nevertheless my expectations aren't very high, specially after reading some Mikael's words.
Vombatus - 10.04.2014 at 01:39
Written by psykometal on 10.04.2014 at 01:04

Swordmaster did it, but on the other hand, dozens of others band did not. Do you imagine the guys in Darkthrone or Blut Aus Nord splitting their bands in 4 or 5 coz their new record doesn't sound like the previous one ? It'd be ridiculous... Plus it implies a band can no longer experiment and search for new musical approaches, how boring would that be....

I personnaly don't care, like said above by others, it's all about the music and no need to be so picky over a few letters. Oh, and I'm glad Opeth released Heritage, their only record that doesn't make me instantly fall asleep
deadone - 10.04.2014 at 02:11
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 10.04.2014 at 01:13

Written by psykometal on 10.04.2014 at 00:15

Very good point.

If people don't like the product, don't buy it.

And you don't have to own every single Opeth album.
psykometal - 10.04.2014 at 02:20
Bad points are bad. And bands should only change when the impac of the change is going to be negative. So Darkthrone and Blut Aus Nord don't count. Argument invalidated. Try again. #YouAllFail
Vombatus - 10.04.2014 at 02:24
Opeth's change was to something better. So by your own logic, you are wrong. Stop contradicting yourself.

psykometal - 10.04.2014 at 02:31
Written by Vombatus on 10.04.2014 at 02:24

Not according to the masses.
deadone - 10.04.2014 at 02:32
Written by Vombatus on 10.04.2014 at 02:24

Opeth's change was divisive. That's about it.
!J.O.O.E.! - 10.04.2014 at 02:44
Damn, Zep. I thought you were actually joking but you really do seem to believe in some kind of ownership of bands and artists. That's a worrying state of mind.

The only time we should ever have a say, or at least have some expectation, is kickstarter-type affairs when the artist asks for money upfront, like Devin Townsend recently did.

And this whole change when "negative" thing is a matter of perspective. A band can change in a way that gets them more critical acclaim but less financial or popular success, or they can sacrifice artistic credibility to aim for a broader audience, thus making them more money and gaining more popularity. Which of these is truly "negative"? As far as I'm concerned a band, no matter how popular or respected, can do what they want as long as they deal with the public repercussions in the right way and not be a dick if people turn around and say they don't like it.
deadone - 10.04.2014 at 02:55
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 10.04.2014 at 02:44

Actually there's a third change - label influenced change designed to generate more sales.

And label influence happens more often than not, especially for younger less established bands.

I doubt that label influence had much to do with Opeth's change as they're a big and established band.
psykometal - 10.04.2014 at 04:01
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 10.04.2014 at 02:44

Blah blah OMG Zep is furrealziriuz OMG blah blah

This clip will accurately portray your response after you watch this clip.
!J.O.O.E.! - 10.04.2014 at 04:04
You made the fatal error of not using any sort of smiley, thus indicating your seriousnessness
crucifiedjesus - 10.04.2014 at 07:15
I for one cant wait! all you haters can crawl back in your holes and listen to whatever senseless garbage turns you on these days. I've got a new opeth and a new mastodon album to look forward to, its gonna be a good summer!! and saying that you are unhappy with steven wilsons involvement is fn ridiculous!! he produced blackwater park, deliverance and damnation. Do i think this will be their best work....unlikely!! But iam POSITIVE i will enjoy it immensly like all of their work. Heritage is still a very good album if you take it for what it is. Asking Opeth to betray their creative impulses and continue to make music that will appease their old school fans rather than evolving into what they want to be at this time is shameful. Not saying you have to like it just stop with the hating!!
Cynic Metalhead - 10.04.2014 at 10:09
I always loved Opeth fanboys whining.
mz - 10.04.2014 at 10:39
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 10.04.2014 at 10:09

I always loved Opeth fanboys whining.

What fanboy whining? People are saying how shitty heritage was.
Oh wait, I remember heritage used to piss you off befor it was release. You clearly need to justify your whinings about "opeth whining" more properly
Cynic Metalhead - 10.04.2014 at 10:48
I had this special power to determine how new Opeth albums gonna shape. Yes, I was so pissed off about Heritage release 'cause I dreamt of listening Heritage record on my pad even it wasn't released. I woke up in the morning super pissed about another pile of bear shit Opeth spitted from their studio. I posted here and people went apeshit on me. Unfortunately, Heritage turned to be cut-above average record( few songs were good enough).

Don't ask about this album. I've lost the power now.
psykometal - 10.04.2014 at 12:22
Written by !J.O.O.E.! on 10.04.2014 at 04:04

It's not trolling if you use smileys. Thus no fatal error was made.

I thought the playfully bad spelling and ALL CAPS made it obvious I was not serious, but you all proceeded to take me seriously despite it, so i just ran with it for a minute. Not often do I get such a prime opportunity to troll around here.
Mugthulhu - 10.04.2014 at 18:31
Every band/artist have the right make whatever type of music they want.
InnerSelf - 10.04.2014 at 22:05
I Likez Heritage.
Drummer149 - 11.04.2014 at 02:38
Written by Erik M. on 09.04.2014 at 20:48

Written by Lit. on 08.04.2014 at 20:37

Written by Lethrokai on 08.04.2014 at 20:34

Your thoughts?

Not positive.

You are aware that Steven Wilson has worked on every album since Blackwater Park...it's not exactly a new thing, he is basically the 6th member of Opeth.
Cynic Metalhead - 11.04.2014 at 10:59
Written by Mugthulhu on 10.04.2014 at 18:31

Every band/artist have the right make whatever type of music they want.

Every listener has the right to bash the hell out an album if it didn't live up to the expectation. Then don't feel sorry about your favorite band is getting bashed.
Ikuinen - 11.04.2014 at 19:03
I didn't like Heritage at all But I am hopefull this new album will be better. Good thing to hear that it will be more Melodic
AzazeliFrost - 15.04.2014 at 15:13
It is not a good thing , I presume it will be the most shitty alnum in their history...
MaiSweettShaadow - 15.04.2014 at 22:29
Steven Wilson crated this band (at least the good albums) and now he is going to destroy it (heritage and now this 70´s crap album) what a prick!
deadone - 16.04.2014 at 01:58
Written by MaiSweettShaadow on 15.04.2014 at 22:29

Beg to differ. Still Life and My Arms Your Hearse were great albums with no Steven Wilson involvement. I don't think he was involved with Ghost Reveries either.

In fact Steven Wilson was involved with the lacklustre Deliverance and Heritage.

He also worked on Damnation which I personally don't like but a lot of other people do.

So other than Blackwater Park Wilson's contribution to Opeth has not resulted in great albums IMO.
Troy Killjoy - 16.04.2014 at 18:53
Is it just me, or does Steven Wilson not write the music.
deadone - 17.04.2014 at 02:11
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.04.2014 at 18:53

Is it just me, or does Steven Wilson not write the music.

The whole concept of production is interesting.

Some producers can be very hands on and offer stylistic or musical advice.

On the DVD of the making of Lamb of God's Sacrament there's a very good example of this with the producer making all kind of suggestions for vocal delivery.

In that case the producer is effectively an additional band member.

Bob Rock and Metallica are another example of a producer becoming integral to the actual content or at least its delivery.

In many cases in metal though, producers are basically glorified mixers with little input other than levels.
Fallen Ghost - 19.04.2014 at 10:53
Written by Erik M. on 09.04.2014 at 21:18

Well.. Basically ALL bands are making music they WANT to make, no matter what the fans are saying, so I wont say it's a selfish thing. Imagine being in a band, making music you're not satisfied with, only because you have to do everything to please the fans only and not yourself. Sounds like a shitty job
K†ulu - 19.04.2014 at 11:15
Written by Erik M. on 09.04.2014 at 21:18

Written by psykometal on 09.04.2014 at 18:15

Well, Opeth would not have any fans if there was no Opeth music in the first place. And what do you mean by being grateful to the fans as if they were some sort of Opeth charity fund. Everything is easier: a musician makes music; if people like it enough, they start buying it and going to concerts. That's it. No musician should care about what the fans will think about his new record. The musician should make and release music he thinks is worthwhile and which he likes himself, and it so happens that people like it, that's awesome, but if not, oh well.
Erik M. - 21.04.2014 at 16:34
Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.04.2014 at 18:53

Is it just me, or does Steven Wilson not write the music.

I somehow feel that Steven Wilson is to Mikael kind of what Grima is to King Théoden.
Erik M. - 21.04.2014 at 16:43
Written by Fallen Ghost on 19.04.2014 at 10:53

I agree, but I didn't imply that, nor did I say that, ever. I think Opeth should do whatever they want to, but my point was that Mikael seems to have become some kind of dictator in the band, acting (in interviews for example) that he created all the songs himself. And if that is the case, then it means the other band members have far less influence on Opeth's music. And that's a bad thing in my opinion, even though it's obvious that Mikael is the most influential and talented band member. Mikael also doesn't really seem very thankful to his fans, at least that's the impression I got from him.
Erik M. - 21.04.2014 at 16:55
Written by K†ulu on 19.04.2014 at 11:15

A band can care about their fans and still do whatever they want. Being a non-musician, I might be wrong, but I'd say it's really strange if a band does not care about what their fans think of them. Opinions are always important and it's ludicrous to state that a musician shouldn't care about what others think of their music. Praising/criticizing music (feedback) is important for the musician I'd say. It's pretty simple: a band should be grateful to the fans because without the fans (buying their music/merchandise, going to gigs etc.) they wouldn't exist or be popular. When a band is not grateful to its fans I'd call them arrogant pricks.
Uldreth - 21.04.2014 at 18:10
Written by Erik M. on 21.04.2014 at 16:55

There is difference between being grateful and conforming to them.

You know those terms like "sellout" that are often being thrown around? Of course sellout is a bit different compared to "fanservice" but really what is the real difference between the two?

Nothing I'd say. When you "sellout", you compromise your artistic integrity in an attempt to get more fans. When you do "fanservice" you compromise your artistic integrity by not making music you are inspired to make but music your existing fans would value. Basically the same thing.

If Opeth and co. truly feel like making bland 70s prog rock music (mind you I did sortof like Heritage, but I don't like the direction) then by all means they should do it, I won't blame them. I just might not listen to them anymore if I don't like what they put out.

Pages: 1 [2]

News Dagoba - New Album Title And Tracklist Revealed 10 02.01.2013 by BudDa
News Immolation - New Album Title And Tracklist Revealed 10 09.12.2009 by Vitriolic Hate
News Sotajumala - New Album Title And Tracklist Revealed 10 11.01.2010 by Troy Killjoy
News Luca Turilli's Rhapsody - New Album Title And Tracklist Revealed 10 31.01.2012 by LeChron James
News Eternal Tears Of Sorrow - New Album Title And Tracklist Revealed 10 13.11.2012 by Fallen Ghost