With their brand new album Once More 'Round The Sun freshly released, Mastodon's Remission album is now getting the deluxe reissue treatment from Relapse Records. Their classic debut remixed and remastered record will be available as a 2xLP boxset and deluxe CD with embossed digipak. It is coming on August 5th (North America), August 1st (Germany/Benelux), and August 4th (UK/Europe/world).

The album has been fully remixed by original producer and engineer Matt Bayles and remastered by Ed Brooks at RFI. The CD cover art has been enhanced to showcase the iconic Remission horse with a beautiful custom 3D embossing with a UV gloss, special custom varnish and foil stamping.

If you are interested, you can pre-order the release over here.

500 2xLP boxsets will be pressed on black/gold merge vinyl and be exclusively available at Relapse Mailorder. This edition will include a 24-page booklet with tons of previously unreleased art by original Remission artist Paul Romano along with a Remission slipmat. An additional 1,500 copies will be pressed on oxblood vinyl.

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Mastodon

Posted: 27.06.2014 by BloodTears

Comments

Syk - 27.06.2014 at 13:16
AWESOME! Will keep a lookout for this "Fire Ants" still one of their best songs
Ozman - 27.06.2014 at 13:23
Why the hell would they want to remix and remaster Remission, which is still Mastodon's best/ OKay it has to be remastered for the vinyl release but not for a cd re-release. And why re-release it on cd anyway? It is still readily availiable and not out of print.
Ilham - 27.06.2014 at 13:35
Maybe they were not with Relapse at that time? I would have said just pure marketing in the prospect of Christmas sales, but it's going out in August.
Ozman - 27.06.2014 at 13:38
Written by Ilham on 27.06.2014 at 13:35

Maybe they were not with Relapse at that time?

They were already on Relapse at the time. Even the e.p. from a year earlier 'Lifesblood' was released by Relapse
LeKiwi - 27.06.2014 at 14:13
Written by Ozman on 27.06.2014 at 13:23

I never understood re-releases; what's their purpose?
Ozman - 27.06.2014 at 14:30
Written by LeKiwi on 27.06.2014 at 14:13

Written by Ozman on 27.06.2014 at 13:23

I never understood re-releases; what's their purpose?

I understand a re-release if the album has been out of print for ages and there was a demand for it again. Or in the case of Nevermore's Enemies Of Reality where the original recording from 2003 sounded horrible and they re-released it remixed and remastered two years later.

But other than that re-releases are just a way record companies and also bands try to earn an extra buck hoping fans will also buy the re-release in addition to their original copy.
LeKiwi - 27.06.2014 at 14:36
Written by Ozman on 27.06.2014 at 14:30

Thanks for clearing that up, makes sense. I was just wondering about re-releases on their own without a remix/remaster. So I'm guessing a re-issue is just a synonym?
chronic-headache - 27.06.2014 at 15:14
I just hope this remaster is a true remaster and not a BRICKWALLED DYNAMICS KILLER
i mean, the original wasn't even BAD in terms of production. I was unaware that anything needed a fix...
Czerny Reiter - 27.06.2014 at 15:15
They've simply gained enough critical mass as a band that they can start pulling comercial shenanigans. That or the process of mastering for vinyl allowed them the opportunity to press a superior CD and they went with it. Not knowing the first thing about sound engineering, I wouldn't know and, either way, good for them.

Also, honestly, I'd rather have reissues with interesting artwork than crappy live albums any day of the week.
Apothecary - 27.06.2014 at 15:24
Why do bands do this? It's not as if Remission had a shitty sound to begin with. I agree with the guy above me, this sees like more of a commercial move than anything else
Spirit Molecule - 27.06.2014 at 15:38
Doesn't need to be remixed and remastered at all!!

I will however pick up the tee
Zaphod - 27.06.2014 at 16:24
Written by Spirit Molecule on 27.06.2014 at 15:38

Doesn't need to be remixed and remastered at all!!

I will however pick up the tee

YES! BECAUSE IT'S PURPLE MOTHERFUCKERS!
I really really REALLY need that.
Spirit Molecule - 27.06.2014 at 16:32
Written by Zaphod on 27.06.2014 at 16:24

YES! BECAUSE IT'S PURPLE MOTHERFUCKERS!
I really really REALLY need that.

Hahaha yeah!

It will definitely go well with this one I have recently acquired
Troy Killjoy - 27.06.2014 at 16:32
That is a really nice t-shirt. Not sure what all the fuss is about regarding the reissue, labels do this all the time in hopes of getting more sales. Sometimes it tricks fans into thinking they're getting something out of print. And I imagine there's a couple people out there looking forward to "better" production, even if I'm not one of them as Remission for me is perfect the way it is.
Ilham - 27.06.2014 at 17:50
It is really good to see more and more beautiful art on t-shirts in other colours than just black. I've always felt very left out when it came to bands t-shirts in general because the female tees were always getting uglier versions of the logos and very nasty fits. I'd buy that one if it came in girly fit.
Jaeryd17‍ - 27.06.2014 at 18:27
Hopefully the remix/remaster sounds better, not worse, though I don't see why they should even bother, since the first album had a perfectly gritty and real-sounding production quality. If they found a way to make it sound better, then I guess they can go for it. If they make it worse, that would be a huge shame.
Lit. - 27.06.2014 at 18:53
Are there even any bonus tracks? That's the make or break for me.
SmokyPeat - 27.06.2014 at 19:09
More sales guys... look at the product marketing for it. People are going to buy this even if the original sits perfectly fine with them.
I'm being suckered into buying it too
Syk - 27.06.2014 at 19:48
Ha, I'm wanting to pick it up 'cos I have never seen the CD 'round these parts. Bonus tracks would be a bonus but I'm not expecting there will (and part of me hopes there won't) be any. Must say, I agree with chronic-headache
Written by LeKiwi on 27.06.2014 at 14:36
Written by Ozman on 27.06.2014 at 14:30

I wouldn't necessarily say that. "issue" is like "release"; "reissue" is like "re-release", but re-mix / re-master is making (sometimes serious) modifications to the sound of what was put out years ago/earlier, as Marcel said of Nevermore's remix. Hypocrisy did a weird lot of re-recording for Catch 22 (V.2), Exodus totally redid their debut with their [re-shaped] modern lineup, Deep Purple had remasters of material from the 1st half of the band's existence as well as straight re-releases, with or without bonuses. Autopsy had stuff reissued where (rather weirdly) I think just one song [or 2 or 3] from the whole trklist had been remastered, while another [few] had been entirely re-recorded

Personally, I picked up the 2011 re-release of Bloodbath's latest CD + EP 'cos I thought it was a cheap, effective package combining the two works - both of which I hadn't seen in stores individually (thus at the time, had no possible chance of acquiring them) (AFAIK, that was reissue/re-release (speculation: potentially a cash-grab on some level), not re-mixed/rem)
Dr.Overkill - 27.06.2014 at 23:49
My two cents... This feels completely unnecessary. If anything maybe it will bring some much deserved attention to this classic *Pulls out ancient vinyl copy, blows the layer of dust off of it. "Perhaps another listen is in order, it's been a long time."
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 28.06.2014 at 17:55
I've done some research into Remission and Leviathan's releases and found out they've had tons of vinyl reissues, but this one does I'll admit look much nicer than any of the other releases. It's not bothered me this time since I've only got the CD but it must be annoying for anyone of those previous vinyl owners, especially because this looks better than any of the previous versions. I'm genuinely interested however in the Paul Romano booklet and the shirts look fookin good
Marios P - 28.06.2014 at 19:27
Their best work
Amatsu Mikaboshi - 29.06.2014 at 03:36
But $49.99 is atrocious for this and it doesn't even contain with it any of the shirts!! Miffed!
Troy Killjoy - 29.06.2014 at 06:51
Written by Amatsu Mikaboshi on 29.06.2014 at 03:36

These prices are set by Relapse, not Mastodon. Although their site features a ton of overpriced merch as well but that's what you can do when you're a big-name band like that. "If you build it they will come" kinda thing.
Super_Greg - 04.07.2014 at 11:24
Written by Ozman on 27.06.2014 at 13:23

$$$$$$$$$$$$
tea[m]ster - 04.07.2014 at 13:57
Be careful, Isis just re-issued Panopticon and it sounds worse. Posty, sludgy, stuff like that and this really doesn't need an overhaul IMO.

News Mastodon, Dillinger Escape Plan, Mars Volta - Members Form New Group 4.5 14.06.2011 by Ísak Petersen
News Mastodon - Support Tool On Europe Winter Tour 4.5 06.10.2006 by dancingdecember
News Mastodon - Unveil New Album Cover Artwork And More 4.5 29.04.2014 by Rasa