...And your time is up! We hope you aren't still pondering over your votes, as it is now officially too late! The voting has closed!

Click on the big banner on the homepage to view the results, or go through this link. A more detailed description of the winners and losers of 2007 will follow in the next coming days.

- Metal Storm Staff

Posted: 01.03.2008 by Nervel

Comments

Sheol - 01.03.2008 at 02:18
The Biggest Letdown
Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

The Biggest Surprise
Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

Actually pretty funny. If you ask me.

I Couldn't also believe that Dream Theater - Systematic Chaos wasn't even nominated in The Best Progressive Metal Album...
Lucas - 01.03.2008 at 02:24
just shows the opinions on it where many, and quite diverse.
BurbotsRevenge - 01.03.2008 at 02:32
voting closed then... looking forward to the more detailed analysis coming soon, but the results were generally mostly expected - 'big' bands winning their categories...
Herzebeth - 01.03.2008 at 02:40
Written by BurbotsRevenge on 01.03.2008 at 02:32

Amen to that....

though I always think that's just a little sucky IMO
Lucas - 01.03.2008 at 02:42
yeah, but what are you going to do about it?
Pétur - 01.03.2008 at 02:43
hmmm a whole lot better then last year, still there are lot of things that bother me. what is Primordial doing in the folk metal/pagan/viking section? yeah there lyrics have the theme but they don't use any folk instruments and neither have the typical viking metal sound, they are more progressive black metal. sad to see the new Epica didn't win, what I have heard of the new Therion was just very medicore... Gothic metal had a strong year with a new Paradise Lost, Type O Negative, Lake of Tears, The Vision Bleak but Tristania is not gothic metal and neither is The Old Dead Tree. and shame on you if you voted for Demon burger latest crap fest as the best black metal album. I haven't listend that much death metal, but the new Behemoth was pretty generic imo.... just show it is all about fanbase.
Eternal Flames - 01.03.2008 at 03:10
The results once again aren't very surprising. As with most years, the well known or 'big' bands always seem to take away the awards. The 'Biggest Letdown" and "Biggest Surprise" was hilarious though and pretty much just proves that the well known bands usually win the awards
Doc Godin - 01.03.2008 at 04:09
Yeah, the results were pretty disapointing...pretty very disapointing. Fuck it, to each his own I guess.
rubyeye - 01.03.2008 at 04:20
Written by Sheol on 01.03.2008 at 02:18

The Biggest Letdown
Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

The Biggest Surprise
Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

Actually pretty funny. If you ask me.

I thought this was interesting too. What made "Dark Passion Play" such a "surprise"? The fact it was the Biggest Letdown?
Dangerboner - 01.03.2008 at 04:24
The black metal category surprised me the most. I expected Mayhem to win not only because they're well-known, but because they deserved to win.
amarchand - 01.03.2008 at 04:27
i definitely think ensiferum deserves their victory.. haha victory.. great album, totally unexpected since jari left i thought they were fucked. but good for them
Sellathurai - 01.03.2008 at 08:47
I know Metalcore is sometimes frowned upon on this site
But come on, how could Between The Buried And Me lose to Chimera?
Syk - 01.03.2008 at 09:28
Thanks for facilitating the awards staff, though I'd like to see one more set of results for the surprise of the year. It doesn't feel right having just over half the regular number of results so can you also list the ones that got 10 votes? (Maybe grind as well)
Written by Sellathurai on 01.03.2008 at 08:47
I know Metalcore is sometimes frowned upon on this site
But come on, how could Between The Buried And Me lose to Chimera?
That's nothing to do with it. The latter are more poppy and the former more... specialized, eccentric. Plus look at their labels, Nuclear Blast = wider distribution, more marketing, more accessibility = more known.

It is to be expected that the bands known by more people will be the ones to pick up the awards unless they totally suck, I think grindcore is the only exception because so many CC fans knew about PD's album and considered it stronger.

I have to say I'm surprised that so few voted Megadeth as letdown of the year. I'm always in the minority...
Doc Godin - 01.03.2008 at 10:26
Written by rubyeye on 01.03.2008 at 04:20

Written by Sheol on 01.03.2008 at 02:18

The Biggest Letdown
Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

The Biggest Surprise
Nightwish - Dark Passion Play

Actually pretty funny. If you ask me.

Lol. I don't think it was neither a surprise nor a letdown...Nightwish releasing a bad album is nothing surprising.
NoRb3 - 01.03.2008 at 11:50
Power Metal:

1. Kamelot - Ghost Opera (263 votes)
2. Nightwish - Dark Passion Play (262 votes)

Lol + Biggest Letdown and Biggest Suprise is funny too. And Rotting Christ in Black Metal is a suprise for me too.
RhaegarTargaryen - 01.03.2008 at 13:03
No Sirenia not even in nominations or write in votes. Thats a shame. Probably cause last album is not 'trve gothic enough' lol...

I like the choice, and the fact that 4 out of 10 videos are made in Belgrade Mostly I agree with the choices, not everywhere but it's good.
Stigma - 01.03.2008 at 15:58
The biggest dissapointment for me here was that Apocalyptica won their category, though there were much better bands that would have deserved it. Then again Amorphis won the Heavy Metal category, and IMO they deserved it.

Nightwish winning both The Biggest Surprise and The Biggest Letdown just shows the many different opinions towards the new vocalist.

The Best Black came to me as a surprise as well, and The Biggest Drama is hilarious.
Warman - 01.03.2008 at 19:02
Black Metal surprised and dissapointed me. Thought and hoped that either Watain or Mayhem would win. Glad to see the number 1 on biggest letdown. Also I can't believe that Rasputin won as best cover song, I think that one sucks serious shit.
Graveheart - 01.03.2008 at 20:12
Written by Guest on 01.03.2008 at 11:50

Power Metal:

1. Kamelot - Ghost Opera (263 votes)
2. Nightwish - Dark Passion Play (262 votes)

Also there's
3. Iced Earth - Framing Armageddon (129 votes)
4. Helloween - Gambling with the Devil (128 votes)
and some people think their votes don't make any difference (I know mine did)
Bad English - 01.03.2008 at 20:36
Damn I wont talk about votes I vote about what I vote and I wont tell what was my votes and wont look here, I saw results I know results and I wont use my energy to discuss
Harlequin - 01.03.2008 at 20:36
It's a shame that Moonsorrow didn't win. The first 7 minutes or so of the first track alone own all the other releases.
Piro - 02.03.2008 at 01:55
Not unexpected, but I must say I was a big dissapointed with a few albums that won.
BestMetalstormer - 02.03.2008 at 11:51
Candlemass has been 2 times for doom awards, I was so surprised....
Adus - 02.03.2008 at 15:43
Dark Passion Play surprised me in the sense that with their new vocalist they were able to blow away their previous albums. I suppose it sounds like people here don't agree, but that's what makes them opinions and not facts, after all.
Talvi - 03.03.2008 at 21:10
I'll never care about voting or awards or some shitty thing. Quality isn't important now, it will always win the most popular band. Yeah, probably most people didn't hear any of the other bands there, even if they had 1 month to do it. They just vote to the band they know.
Marcel Hubregtse - 03.03.2008 at 21:17
Written by Talvi on 03.03.2008 at 21:10

True, but what we try to achive with the Awards is also that people will check out the stuff that is nominated which they don't know. So that those lesser known bands will get some extra much-needed exposure.
Talvi - 03.03.2008 at 21:45
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.03.2008 at 21:17

Written by Talvi on 03.03.2008 at 21:10

Yeah, that helps the lesser known bands, didn't stop to think about that. It just pisses me how there is NO surprise in any of the awards. Probably in the power metal tag, I though Nightwish would win there (and almost did).

Let's see what you people have to say about this. In a few days I guesss ;P
Marcel Hubregtse - 03.03.2008 at 21:47
Written by Talvi on 03.03.2008 at 21:45

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.03.2008 at 21:17

Written by Talvi on 03.03.2008 at 21:10

Let's see what you people have to say about this. In a few days I guesss ;P

I found it surprising that Rotting Christ won in the Black metal category. Here I had expected either, Mayhem, Shining, or Watain since Mayhem is much better known and Watain and Shining have had quite a lot of hype surrounding them last year.

News Metal Storm Awards 2007 - Voting Open 9 01.02.2008 by iaberis