Frontiers Records is pleased to announce all the details for the release of Michael Kiske's new album entitled "Past In Different Ways" on May 9th 2008.

This much talked about album includes the reworking in a new fully acoustic and stripped back mood of some of Helloween's classics that Kiske wrote and recorded in his early days with the legendary German Heavy Metal band. "When Serafino Perugino brought up the idea to do this record" says Michael, "my first reaction was: "No way! I don't want to be dealing with my past all the time anymore!". But after a few days my thinking changed and I thought: maybe it's not such a bad idea at all? Because on one hand it shows that I don't reject my past just because I'm a different person today and on the other hand it can maybe give people who were part of that past a different view at those songs. It's my music, I can still identify myself with its spirit, so why should I not do this?"

Working in a creatively free environment helped Michael to look at his past with different eyes and brought the idea of working again on the songs that Michael wrote for Helloween during his years with the band. The result is "Past In Different Ways", a record which includes brand new recordings of Kiske's songs taken off the two "Keeper" albums, "Chameleon" and "Pink Bubbles Go Ape", plus the brand new song "Different Ways".

The unconventional arrangements of many of the tracks will surprise and delight many of his fans and more surprising is to see how well these songs sound with a basic acoustic arrangement, without the "useless weight" and with new keys. "Songs like "In The Night" or "When The Sinner" which where never favourites of mine are much cooler and much more convincing now for my ears", says Michael.

The album was recorded and mixed in Hamburg under Michael Kiske's direction and features long time collaborators such as Sandro Giampietro on guitar, Fontaine Burnett on bass and Karsten Nagel on drums.

Kiske concludes: "It was not always easy for me emotionally to deal with this material. Music somehow seems to preserve emotional memories and I connect big human disappointments with the last years of that time. There's also something very unsatisfying about re-recording old songs; it's always MUCH better to write new stuff, but I wanted to make those songs mine again. And in spite of the fact that I strongly felt for the last couple of years that I rather have to build myself a new base of friends, it's always good
to make peace with your past".

Final tracklisting of "Past In Different Ways" [cover] include the following tracks:

• You Always Walk Alone [mp3]
  • We Got The Right [mp3]
  • I Believe [mp3]
  • Longing
  • Your Turn
  • Kids Of The Century
  • In The Night
  • Going Home
  • A Little Time [mp3]
  • When The Sinner
  • Different Ways (brand new song).

"Past In Different Ways" will see the light in Europe on May 9th 2008 on Frontiers Records.

Source: frontiers.it
    Posted: 21.03.2008 by Thryce

Comments

iaberis - 21.03.2008 at 19:06
    Nice, I'll buy it!
    But didn't the ex-Helloween member participate as they were saying?
    Bad English - 21.03.2008 at 19:19
    Hmm wont buy it but download maybe
    whitepawel - 21.03.2008 at 19:24
    Piece of shit, like all his solo albums...
    insanity.peppers - 21.03.2008 at 22:49
    I think I'll buys this
    Newfie_Metal - 21.03.2008 at 23:11
    I wish he had of done some better songs off the Keeper albums. Oh well.
    Inlé - 21.03.2008 at 23:39
    What a gimmick.
    insanity.peppers - 22.03.2008 at 00:47
    Written by Newfie_Metal on 21.03.2008 at 23:11

I wish he had of done some better songs off the Keeper albums. Oh well.

I think he can only do the ones he wrote himself. I doubt he's can afford to pay royalties at this point =P
    iaberis - 22.03.2008 at 01:37
    Written by whitepawel on 21.03.2008 at 19:24

Piece of shit, like all his solo albums...

**** off bitch!
    His solo albums aren't the best, but show some damn respect.
    I didn't saw you releasing anything at his level.
    Now do this world a favor and die.
    Lucas - 22.03.2008 at 01:57
    Written by iaberis on 22.03.2008 at 01:37

Written by whitepawel on 21.03.2008 at 19:24

Piece of shit, like all his solo albums...

**** off bitch!
    His solo albums aren't the best, but show some damn respect.
    I didn't saw you releasing anything at his level.
    Now do this world a favor and die.

Calm down, dude.
    whitepawel - 22.03.2008 at 02:52
    I respect Michael Kiske and I agree that he's a talented vocalist, but his solo albums are all unlistenable crap. Better?
    Newfie_Metal - 22.03.2008 at 05:15
    Written by insanity.peppers on 22.03.2008 at 00:47

Written by Newfie_Metal on 21.03.2008 at 23:11

I wish he had of done some better songs off the Keeper albums. Oh well.

That makes sense, at least "A Little Time" is there, fairly good song.
    4look4rd - 22.03.2008 at 05:22
    can someone tell him to go fuck himself?
    LeChron James - 22.03.2008 at 07:26
    sick cover. i hope this is better than any of his recent solos stuff.
    Thryce - 22.03.2008 at 11:19
    Written by 4look4rd on 22.03.2008 at 05:22

can someone tell him to go fuck himself?

Easy there tough guy. Why don't you go lie on the ground for a while before you hurt yourself.

@ iaberis: you do realize you have the vocabulary of a 13year-old/an Anal Cunt song?
    santiagomp - 22.03.2008 at 12:13
    It is so difficult to understand his way? I don't think so, when so many guys here write so agressiv comments... It'a a pity, that the fans are not tolerant. Musicians should have the liberty to do whatever thet want to do, music is ART and doesn't need to be accepted for anybody else but the artist itself. I love Kiskes voice!
    iaberis - 22.03.2008 at 15:48
    Written by Thryce on 22.03.2008 at 11:19

yeah, but it's fun.
    Me is happy this way
    iaberis - 22.03.2008 at 15:59
    Written by whitepawel on 22.03.2008 at 02:52

better!
    4look4rd - 22.03.2008 at 15:59
    I just lost the last bit of respect that I had towards him. I never liked his voice, but I cant deny that both keepers are so damn good (the legacy is amazing too) but thats pretty much all he has done in what.... 20years? I dont miss him a bit on helloween
    selken - 23.03.2008 at 04:42
    So...
    this dude is still alive??
    His solo albums are bad, don't wanna hear about him...
    (Someone: so, why the f**k are you posting here?, fun )
    Baz Anderson - 23.03.2008 at 18:20
    sounds ok, although a little pointless...
    good that he feels he has "made peace with his past" though - but I can't imagine it is so much of a traumatising experience to have released some of the best albums ever in power metal
    Marcel Hubregtse - 23.03.2008 at 18:32
    I really can't understand why the best voice Helloween ever had (and probably ever will have) couldn't seem to release any listenable solo albums. But then again Geoff Tate's solo albums are also shitty at best. And Kiske on the Keeper albums at times does get eerily close to Geoff Tate (at the time of course, cause now Tate can't sing to save his life any more it seems.)
    JohnDoe - 23.03.2008 at 19:50
    I'm not fond of kiske's solo works either; but he had a project in 2005 called Place Vendome - a selftitled album which i found to be really good, not metal but AOR influenced hard rock, with really good musicianship, honestly, at least for me.

I would buy this new album of his, if i find it; i think he's got the right to perform these songs, after all he wrote them.
    Judas - 24.03.2008 at 13:50
    Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.03.2008 at 18:32

Finally, someone else thinking the same thing as me. In 'Halloween', the line "It's shining on meeeeeeeeeeeeeee..." could have been sung by Geoff Tate and no-one would have known the difference. There are other examples, of course, but I just listened to that song so that's the one I'm using.

Now, back to the topic, I think that Kiske is doing this as a marketing gimmick. Not all that many metalheads respect him as a person anymore, and they won't buy his stuff because a) it's shit, and b) they don't want to pay a 'traitor', but putting Helloween songs on there will pique their interest again. Of course, it also carries the whole "look at this clown, he's living off his past glory" stigma, but I daresay this album will sell more than his previous efforts.
    Hyvaarin - 24.03.2008 at 15:11
    Written by whitepawel on 22.03.2008 at 02:52

Why respect a guy (renowned for his anti-metal tantrums) who comes crawling back to the genre he hates every time his money dries up? This album reeks of opportunism.
    JohnDoe - 24.03.2008 at 17:06
    I don't think metalheads will rush to buy this album - first of all most of the songs from the album are from 2 albums Helloween fans/metalheads don't like that much or at all: Pink Bubbles Go Ape and Chameleon; that being said the market strategy idea goes down to pieces, for me at least. I don't think this album will have major sales, I don't know who is the target audience - I don't even think his aiming at the Helloween fans.
    whitepawel - 25.03.2008 at 01:44
    Written by Hyvaarin on 24.03.2008 at 15:11

Written by whitepawel on 22.03.2008 at 02:52

Ok ok, I just wanted iaberis (Cpt. Rick Hunter) to stop crying ;]

News Geoff Tate - New Solo Album Samples Online, Details Revealed 6 23.09.2012 by SelfXPlanetOrE
    News Liv Kristine - New Solo Album Details 5.5 06.06.2010 by Jon
    News Infinita Symphonia - Announce Michael Kiske As Guest Vocalist On Upcoming Album 5.5 31.10.2012 by Fredd
    News I.C.S Vortex - Announces Solo Album Details 5.5 24.12.2010 by Vitriolic Hate
    News Avantasia - Michael Kiske Confirmed On New Album, First Sample Available 5.5 24.12.2012 by Korah