Dutch metallers Epica have announced the following statement on their website:

The extra weeks of rest, as a result of the cancellation of most of this month's shows, have helped Simone a lot in recovering from her MRSA infection. Three out of the four aspects in her latest test already showed negative, which is a major step forward! Unfortunately this also means that one of these still showed positive. As optimistic as we may be about these final test results, we just cannot risk her health by having her go on tour this soon already.

We have come a great way already and we must continue this way to overcome this. Therefore we have decided to ask our good friend Amanda Somerville to substitute Simone on our upcoming USA tour. As you all know, Amanda has been involved with Epica from the beginning as a vocal coach and can also be heard on every album as backing vocalist as well as part of our choir. We are very happy that Amanda is willing to help us out on this and we are most positive that these extra weeks of rest will give Simone enough time to fully recover from this infection so that she can join us on stage again during our Dutch club shows.

Source: epica.nl
Band profile: Epica
Event: Symphony X + Epica: N. American Tour

Posted: 23.03.2008 by Bararey

Comments

Introspekrieg - 23.03.2008 at 04:10
WTF is all I can say... at least Symphony X and Into Eternity will kick ass...
selken - 23.03.2008 at 04:39
I don't want to disrespect that girl, but Simmone is Epica.
iaberis - 23.03.2008 at 04:57
Epica without Simone isn't Epica...
But Amanda sounds a bit like Simone...
dismaleuphony - 23.03.2008 at 08:58
You know, I am surprised they hadn't done this before...! Amanda is a great singer, now time to talk my friends into wanting to see Epica with her doing the vocals. The only other option would be to continue to cancel tours, so this is certainly a cool opportunity to see someone sing who has been integral in several bands' vocal technqiues from what I can see. She's someone I'd love to interview actually!
Bararey - 23.03.2008 at 09:17
I agree that she is a great singer, plus she has been involved with Epica for a long time now, so the chemistry is there, and she knows the songs.

I think it will be fun, hope someone will take some videos of their performance
dismaleuphony - 23.03.2008 at 09:31
Written by Bararey on 23.03.2008 at 09:17

I think it will be fun, hope someone will take some videos of their performance

If the venue lets me, I will try to I've never been there before so I don't know their policies on it... We shall see! And you are right, the chemistry I am sure is great!
GT - 23.03.2008 at 11:35
A pretty cool solution I think...at least it beats cancelling shows and as Bararey said she already know the songs and have been involved since the beginning
Angel_Lament - 23.03.2008 at 12:52
I Think that Amanda is a great singer plus that she has been involved with Epica in the most of the albums, so she can fill Simone's place but not for a long time
Because Epica without Simone is just another metal band and not unique as with her
But this replacament is pretty good for now
CyGuy6587 - 23.03.2008 at 14:54
This Amanda Somerville sounds a lot like like Amy Lee from Evanescence. Not sure if that's a good or bad thing, but I wish them the best of luck with them
WarriorOfMetal - 23.03.2008 at 17:21
Written by dismaleuphony on 23.03.2008 at 09:31

Written by Bararey on 23.03.2008 at 09:17

I think it will be fun, hope someone will take some videos of their performance

it's usually a band policy thing, more than a venue policy thing.
Fhuesc - 24.03.2008 at 07:26
This is so unfair, they got a replace for the US tour but not for the Mexican Tour. Well in any case doesn't amazed me, US is always the target market.
Marcel Hubregtse - 24.03.2008 at 10:37
Written by Fhuesc on 24.03.2008 at 07:26

First of all, as if a band like Epica makes more money in the US than Mexico. Actually they are way bigger in Mexico than the US. And they don't make anything on a tour of the US, lemme guarantee you.

And second of all...

They would most probably have done the same for Mexico if they could get anybody to fill in for Simone. A couple of years back Simone got violently ill as well and she was replaced by a local singer (I think) for that tour.
Ulv - 24.03.2008 at 23:16
too bad for simone, and for the guys in the band. hope she gets well soon...
Fhuesc - 25.03.2008 at 07:57
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.03.2008 at 10:37

Written by Fhuesc on 24.03.2008 at 07:26

And second of all...

How do you know they make more money here in Mexico?, that's very unlikely
Marcel Hubregtse - 25.03.2008 at 08:15
Written by Fhuesc on 25.03.2008 at 07:57

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 24.03.2008 at 10:37

Written by Fhuesc on 24.03.2008 at 07:26

And second of all...

How do you know they make more money here in Mexico?, that's very unlikely

I know, trust me
They are more popular in Mexico than in the US, music such as theirs IS more popular in Mexico than in the US. In theUS they are glad to draw 50-100 people to a concert of theirs whereas in Mexico they already managed more than 1000 before. A toru through the US only COSTS the band/label money.
Even a so-called big band such Within Temptation barely makes any money touring the US. Roadrunner has a hard time promoting them there. A band such as After Forever who are bigger than Epica only manage an average concert attendance of 140 or so, so even for them/their label a tour of the US costs money instead of earnign them any.
dismaleuphony - 25.03.2008 at 09:50
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 25.03.2008 at 08:15

Written by Fhuesc on 25.03.2008 at 07:57

How do you know they make more money here in Mexico?, that's very unlikely

I know, trust me

I have to second what Marcel is saying... Seeing a band like Epica in the US is quite a different experience than I think you realize . The symphonic metal community is much smaller than you would think... There are a few bands (which I won't mention) that have either made it clear - or suggested that the chance of them touring the US again is slim, mainly because they just can't make money here. Believe me, I know for sure as I was one of the early fans of the genre in the US - and I'm still excited to meet even ONE Epica fan a month who really knows the music. But if any of the symphonic metal bands can make it here in the US, Epica is certainly one of the candidates to do it. I only hope this tour is a success for them in terms of fans - monetarily I don't know. If they only wanted money, I agree with Marcel: they would not come here except for a large festival
Bararey - 25.03.2008 at 10:59
I have to agree with Marcel and disma, I think 150 was about the right number of people who attended the Epica concert in Seattle last year, the place was half empty. I felt really for the band, I have spent 4x the amount of money I usually spend on Merchandise because I felt really sorry for the band and tried to help as much as I could.
Fhuesc - 25.03.2008 at 23:43
wow!, i never expected that. So, now with the info you just gave me, i have another question, if there's to little fans in the US, why they have so many dates?
Marcel Hubregtse - 26.03.2008 at 08:22
Written by Fhuesc on 25.03.2008 at 23:43

Because the US is so immensely spread out (even more than Mexico) and it would really be throwing your money away if you go to the US for just two or three dates. Then you might as well put some extra dates on the calender and try to reach as many people as possible.

News Nightrage - Guitarist Forced To Sit Out Upcoming Tour, Replacement Announced 10 05.10.2011 by Warrior_Of_Ice
News Therion - Vocalist Forced To Sit Out Tour 8.5 23.10.2007 by Bad English
News Hypocrisy - Forced To Sit Out North American Tour 8.5 27.04.2013 by Thrashette
News Kamelot - Vocalist Falls Ill, Sitting Out N. American Tour 7 04.09.2010 by RhaegarTargaryen
News Battlelore - Vocalist To Sit Out Tour 7 16.10.2008 by iceland_Norway