Dear ticket-holder, booking agent, journalist, sponsor contact, music-fan and others associated with the festival,

We regretfully announce that ProgPower Scandinavia 2009 has been cancelled!

For almost a year we have been working hard on making this festival a reality and we believe that our labour has been fruitful in meeting all aspects required of a successful festival.

We have booked a more than solid roster with Pretty Maids and Candlemass as headliners; along with names such as Mercenary, Freak Kitchen, Manticora and Textures on the bill. All of these bands have established popularity in Denmark and should easily attract the Danish metal audience to our festival.

We have confirmed sponsorship/endorsement deals with a.o. Marshall, Musikpartner, Jack Daniels, Jägermeister, Cult Energy Drinks, Carlsberg and Coca Cola. We've have media support in the form of Metalized Magazine and Denmark's largest newspaper BT. We have had the collected Danish internet based metal media supporting us with banner advertisement, etc. And we've also had a lot of international promotion on metal sites in France, Romania, Bulgaria, Russia, USA, Germany and Sweden.

We have collected all the backline/event info, booked hotel rooms, gathered a lot of volunteers for crew etc. All in all, we have done everything needed in order for this festival to be a success. Nothing was left half-way-done.

However, what we are left with now is to face the facts: as of today we have sold a very limited amount of tickets to the festival, which is simply not enough to come close to breaking even on expenses. Here in Denmark, there is a tendency for people to buy their tickets as late as possible to the show. So while we could justifiably expect more sales at the door, it is not a risk that we are willing to take.

Just to prove that we have not taken this lightly:
- we have handed out more than 20,000 flyers at several big metal shows in Copenhagen in the past months (AC/DC, Motley Crue, Deep Purple, Hammerfall and at all 5 of Metallica's Copenhagen shows)
- we have handed out 2,000 flyers at Sweden Rock festival
- we have constantly been handing out flyers at Copenhagen's #1 metal venue, The Rock
- we have printed up 1,000 full size posters
- we have had advertisements (half page and full page) in the last 2 issues of DK's largest metal publication, "Metalized Magazine"
- we have had a ton of banner advertisement all over the internet-on facebook, myspace, forums/webboards, etc.
- several of the bands have also handed out flyers/poster for the event

The fact is that at this point in time, people just do not have an excess of money to spend on entertainment. We all know the state of the economy worldwide. That makes it a difficult decision for people to spend an additional 400 Danish Kroner from their budget for a 2-day festival.

It of course does not make things easier for us when the biggest band in this genre, Dream Theater, chose to put their Copenhagen show on the day following ProgPower Scandinavia. Yes, we have also had our share of bad luck, but that is just how it is.

We deeply regret that it has come to this cancellation for the bands, agents, sponsors, venue and of course towards the audience that had already bought their tickets. Tickets already purchased will be refunded. Please contact www.billetlugen.dk

We are hoping for the world economy to return to normalcy. Once the outlook is better, we will return with other shows. This is not the end for us, but it is a serious situation that we have not taken lightly.

At this time, we want to make sure that people understand that the "Pre-Party" that was planned for The Rock on September 24 will NOT be cancelled. It will be held as a regular concert featuring Anubis Gate, Fairyland and Leprous. The cancellation only affects the 2-day event in Vega on September 25 and 26.

With the kindest regards,
ProgPower Scandinavia

www.progpowerscandinavia.com

Source: progpowerscandinavia.com
Event: ProgPower Scandinavia 2009 [CANCELLED]

Posted: 10.08.2009 by Jeff

Comments

Bas - 10.08.2009 at 22:02
Sad news, seems like a lot of festivals are having problems nowadays though...
Marcel Hubregtse - 10.08.2009 at 22:05
Bad news. I didn't expect this to happen to such a specialized festival as Progpower.
The Shape 1973 - 10.08.2009 at 22:28
How much is 400 Danish Kroner, is that a lot? I'm lucky, the company I work for pays for 50% of the cost of the concerts I attend.

I don't normally think of Denmark when you talking about Scandinavian metal, you always think of Sweden and Finland.
Marcel Hubregtse - 10.08.2009 at 22:40
Written by The Shape 1973 on 10.08.2009 at 22:28

Which is funny of course since Finland isn't part of Scandinavia
Btw what company do you work for? I want a company that ays for half the cost of the gigs I attend.
The Shape 1973 - 10.08.2009 at 22:47
Sorry I thought it was, Geography never been my favourite subject as you have already noticed.

I work for John Lewis, a retail company in the UK. It runs premium department stores and Waitrose supermarkets. i've worked for them for 18 years, so they can't be bad.
Marcel Hubregtse - 10.08.2009 at 22:48
Written by The Shape 1973 on 10.08.2009 at 22:47

I work for John Lewis, a retail company in the UK. It runs premium department stores and Waitrose supermarkets. i've worked for them for 18 years, so they can't bad.

I also always thought Finland was part of Scandinavia until a couple of Finnish female friends of mine who live in the same city as me corrected me

Here is the wikipedia entry on it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scandinavia
corrupt - 10.08.2009 at 23:37
I mostly think of Norway when it comes to Scandinavia and metal. Most of Finlands output is way too folky to be taken serious anyway. Sucks to hear the festival get cancelled. Especially as the majority of festivals who target literally "Everyone" (*cough*wacken*cough*) are on the crest of success. Props to those who focus on real metal. Even if it didn't work out.
Angelique - 10.08.2009 at 23:46
Scandinavia or not, I do think that festival would have done a lot better in Sweden or Finland.. Finnish metal oriented festivals didn't do that bad this summer even most of the cross-genre festivals lost a lot of money.

Anyways, truly sorry for the organizers for all the trouble they went thru believing the festival. I almost want to say shame on you Danish metal fans lol
odcrl - 11.08.2009 at 05:14
Is Metal dead then?
Raiden - 11.08.2009 at 08:03
Wasn't some other instance of ProgPower recently canceled?
Ellrohir - 11.08.2009 at 09:18
Bad news, but PLEASE quit blaming this so-called wordl economy crisis from everything...and especially there i dont believe people cannot got there because they cannot afford it
Asitis - 11.08.2009 at 11:17
Written by odcrl on 11.08.2009 at 05:14

Is Metal dead then?

Shadowcross - 11.08.2009 at 11:35
Probably has more to do with Dream Theater playing on the same day.

The majority of the worlds population have spent their ENTIRE LIVES in a fucking financial crisis...
i'm so sick of this media garbage
Ag Fox - 11.08.2009 at 15:00
Written by The Shape 1973 on 10.08.2009 at 22:47

ooo... I just bought a copy of windows 7 for 50 quid from Peter Jones to be specific. V good value ^ ^
STEELER - 11.08.2009 at 19:42
Pretty Maids And Candlemass In a Progpower Festival??? Headliners? If bands like Andromeda,Dreamscape,Tomorrow's Eve,Pagan's Mind,Stratovarius, and more and more doesn't exist...I will understand why this bands where in the bill,like headliners......
Black Conundrum - 11.08.2009 at 23:52
That sucks that this festival was cancelled. It would've seemed like a blast to go to. Yeah, all that work just for the festival to be cancelled. Shoot.
Daggon - 17.08.2009 at 02:21
Geez I come back after some days offline and I find this, world economy is not that good this days right?
GT - 24.08.2009 at 17:27
Fuck. Just back from vacation and this is the worst news

News ProgPower UK III - Festival Got Cancelled 6 16.02.2008 by Bararey