Official press release

It's been 11 long years and now the world will see the return of Burzum. The highly anticipated new album is entitled Belus after the name of the ancient European solar deity of light and innocence. Belus is not a religious album or an anti-religious album, nor is it a political one, but an attempt to explore the myths about Belus and unveil the oldest roots of our cultural heritage. The album deals with the death of Belus, his sombre journey through the realm of death and his magnificent return. In essence the album and the story of Belus is meant to be an entertaining story about something that once upon a time played a major role in the forming and shaping of Europe.

Varg Vikernes explains: "The album has been made according to my heart and spirit, and not to fit into any particular genre or category, or to live up to anyone's obvious expectations". The music can best be compared to the music of some of the old Burzum albums; in particular the ground breaking Hvis Lyset Tar Oss and the atmospheric brilliances of Filosofem, only the ambient parts present on these albums has been almost completely left out on Belus. "There is no special reason for this, other than coincidence and the fact that I have for some time made more and better music on the guitar rather than on the keyboard".

"Inspiration for the album has come from a variety of sources, and I find my inspiration from fairy tales and myths, from classical music, from memories of what once was, from traditional music, from fantasy, from the wind and weather, from deep forests and running water, from the sky and the sunset, from misty mountains and from yellow leaves falling from age old trees".

"My ambition with Belus is to create something I - and hopefully others too - can listen to for years and years to come without ever growing tired of it, and at the same time to share with my audience the experience of getting to know Belus, as he might have been perceived by the ancient Europeans". The combination of lyrics and music makes this a fairy tale different from most others, and should appeal to all those who like transcendental music and love to see different things from a different perspective. "If I can make you dream when listening to this album, I believe I have done a good job".

"I am aware of the black metal association with the name Burzum, and I have no real and serious problem with that, but I personally see no reason to place Belus in any category. I think Belus musically transcends all existing categories, but if I have to choose one - and for the sake of simplicity - I will simply place it in the metal category".

Belus will be released worldwide on Byelobog Productions on the 8th March 2010.

Belus [cover art] tracklist:

11. Belus' Tilbakekomst

Source: burzum.org
Band profile: Burzum

Posted: 13.12.2009 by SlaytallicA

Comments

Himann - 13.12.2009 at 11:27
Oddly enough, I cant wait..
ItalktotheWind - 13.12.2009 at 11:54
I know this man is controversial, but his statements are that of a true artist.
insanity.peppers - 13.12.2009 at 12:07
Written by ItalktotheWind on 13.12.2009 at 11:54

I know this man is controversial, but his statements are that of a true artist.

Ditto.

Kinda disappointed that there will be no keyboard atmopsheric stuff in there; Dauði Baldrs and Hlidskalf were such enjoyable albums. Still I'm glad to see he's keeping the music going.
Bad English - 13.12.2009 at 12:56
Lol looking to Varg pic somehow it remainds me 3 letters KKK :d white face mask will fit on his face perfectly
I wate this album,. but its be moust overated BM album evere realised IMO
Ellrohir - 13.12.2009 at 14:05
We will see...but i definitely looking forward to it and get it asap
Vitriolic Hate - 13.12.2009 at 14:42
New logo,different artwork let's see!!
The Shape 1973 - 13.12.2009 at 14:53
I thought he hated the guitar, saying something racist about it.
Warman - 13.12.2009 at 14:56
I need this! Hell yes!
Immortal - 13.12.2009 at 15:47
Fucking hell! Can't wait!!!
Marcel Hubregtse - 13.12.2009 at 16:09
Written by The Shape 1973 on 13.12.2009 at 14:53

I though he hated the guitar, saying something racist about it.

Yep. he said he would never play metal again cause of the use of the guitar which he said is a n*gg*r instrument.
But it seems mister fickle bitch has changed her mind once again. (what else's new) The idiot can't even hold the same opinion about something for longer than a day it seems.
Konrad - 13.12.2009 at 18:39
Black people did invent rock n' roll...see...his problem is that he lives in Norway. He needs to come down to Nawlins and experience the true beauty of black culture...not the corporate psuedo-hip hop bullshit that is presented to europeans.

Like this for example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYMwahoMdBA
jadawal - 13.12.2009 at 20:12
Isn't all modern black culture based around hip-hop (and it's rise of popularity)? In a way, I see the urban gangster disease spreading throughout the world morphing people into melody-mindlessness music fillees (one that is a filler) that waste my time, and I'm sure a lot of others (who are brave enough to admit it) think the same way. Life is short, why fill it with a soundtrack of a steady bass line loop I can make in my sleep?

Well, exaggerating a little, and obviously it's all a matter of opinion. I want to fill the ever-flowing stream of sound going in my brain with something I find amazing. And on Metalstorm and in the (non-commercial) metal/rock scene, I find great melodies to live my life by. I can say accurately that most all black music grinds my gears. It seems to me so, in fact, I absolutely dislike black culture and black attitudes. Now if it wasn't for enslavement by the "all-powerful white man" then maybe these old hominids wouldn't have turned out so annoying to me. : o

I am not racist, nor do I hate hip-hop music; just mostly the gangster rap and the hip-hop/urban style that I see people (ranged in age from 5 years old and older) flaunting a style they know nothing about upon others (mainly because they think it's cool, and that's it because mtv says so). But these common american black folk are thinking the same thing...They see a man of their race wearing a black metal t-shirt, they probably ridicule him/her, because s/he's not like the rest. Maybe?

Black people are as equal in every aspect of human features that is possible, as any rational-thinking person would assume. They are the first homo sapiens, before white people ever existed; evolving from primate species from chimpanzees to bonobos to modern archaeological finds of hominid species like homo erectus and homo africanus. They are just as evolved as other races, not caught in a time frame where they keep their dark skin nor any lower intellectual capacity. Even south african people living in tribes have the same mental capacity, as some readers may (innocently)ignorantly think differently. Though the "tribal" south africans live a completely different culture, some still live most of their lives as a hunter-gatherers (which back in the days of early hominids millions of years ago, and lower mental capacity, hunter-gatherers had pretty basic minds compared to what we have now). These people now are just as homo sapien as anyone is, in the now tangled web of human evolution.

In response to Varg's statement regarding "a guitar is a nigger instrument" therefore he won't play, is in fact, ignorant and utterly stupid. We were all once black, our ancestors. Everyone has their opinions, and Varg is stuck in an old way of thinking. It's only a very recent happening in the world that many races live together in peace.

When I started rambling on I think I had a premise...oh yeah, I dislike black culture and trends, but I love and respect them as a race. There is hip-hop artists that I thoroughly enjoy like Tribe Called Quest, Jurassic Five, Mos Def, The Roots (just to name a couple for all you metalheads out there haha) but - and I can say this from the bottom of my soul - most hip-hop is just jibberish lyrics about "riding down the road with a shotgun and girls and boom boom goes my shotty" jabbered over a beat that was made in the matter of an hour, and is an excuse for music in my opinion (comparable to really shitty metal bands out there...). And lately the common person is a non-music lover, and all they want to hear is a catchy background tune they can dispose of a month later. So no wonder this stuff is popular?

Everyone has their own race and everyone will always have a somewhat biased opinion towards things not of their own. Varg is an idiot, he's a murderer. And sometimes idiots say stupid things, but no one is perfect (especially so when anything he says to anyone is documented). Idiots can sometimes make good music too, to me it's interesting to get into someones mind that experienced the things that he did. I'm sure the ideas of his new album were thought of in prison, and what better place is that to solemnly think of ideas and express your aggression?

I am excited to hear this new release.
Pétur - 13.12.2009 at 21:14
Out of nostalgia, I will check this out.
VaronoZz - 13.12.2009 at 22:56
Hail..!
Black Conundrum - 13.12.2009 at 23:05
Nice development. Can someone fix the fact that the album cover isn't showing up or, somehow, is it just my computer?
Big E - 14.12.2009 at 00:25
Will be an interesting listen to say the least.
Bitter Dawn - 14.12.2009 at 00:26
Cover art isn't working because, it's more than likely linked to the official Burzum page where the logo isn't working on their page either.
Lucas - 14.12.2009 at 00:30
It's working just fine for me.
Ellrohir - 14.12.2009 at 00:52
Written by Lucas on 14.12.2009 at 00:30

It's working just fine for me.

i can second that
Konrad - 14.12.2009 at 01:11
Written by jadawal on 13.12.2009 at 20:12

I am excited to hear this new release.

In answer to your first question, no...it isn't. Black culture comprises not only Hip-Hop, but also the beginnings of Rock and Roll, Jazz, Reggae, Soul music, Ska, Punk, Hardcore, Blues, and practically every other great genre of this upcoming century, and the last.

White people are actually to blame for the ignorant, filthy 'rap' music that is so prevalent in our society today. If you want to review hip-hop history, you should start with the beginning...where it was used as a positive political weapon to get a powerful message across to people. It was the language of the streets. It gave people hope, and helped them realize that they were actually worth something. Just because greedy corporations hijacked it and started paying money to all the ignorant ganster rappers in hopes that what they were singing about would influence people negatively and keep them down doesn't mean that there's not good hip-hop out there.

How would you like it if people based their knowledge of rock on what they heard on the radio...or their knowledge of metal on the limited mediocre and shitty bands they once heard. In every genre, there is quality, thought provoking music....and all music is derived from other music. You should probably do some more research on the subject matter.

Edit** I do not wish to say that people aren't responsible for their own actions. If someone wants to promote Drugs, Sex and Violence then that is their own fault. But the corporations choose what is mass-produced, not the musicians. There is much more to black culture to hip-hop...and it's impossible to "love black people" if you don't appreciate their true culture.

I also disagree that Varg is an Idiot...I believe he is very intelligent, and perhaps too intelligent for his own good. Perhaps some of his actions/comments of the past have been either questionable, or downright wrong...but I like him as a person and look forward to his new album. People should be allowed to learn from their mistakes in the society we live in...and I give lots of Credit for actually having a functioning legal-system that actually looks to make the best out of people instead of simply punish them.
Konrad - 14.12.2009 at 01:13
P.s. - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYMwahoMdBA
Vitriolic Hate - 14.12.2009 at 03:16
Written by Ellrohir on 14.12.2009 at 00:52

Written by Lucas on 14.12.2009 at 00:30

It's working just fine for me.

i can second that

I third that
Daniell - 14.12.2009 at 11:47
I have never been a big fan of Burzum, but I did appreciate his old albums, so I'm waiting for this one as well. "Hvis Lyset Tar Oss" and "Det Som En Gang Var" were absolutely terrible when it came to musicianship and production, but there was something in that music. I kind of felt that those sounds came from within, that Varg put his soul into them.
A few years ago I was visited by 2 friends. They live away from me and we only meet a few times a year. Their musical interests are almost completely mdetached from any form of metal. But they do have open minds. We started a heated discussion about music. I was making a speech about the perception of music, about how it is actually irrelevant what instruments are playing and at what speed. I tried to make a point about feelings and atmosphere being the most important factors when it comes to perception of music. They asked me to play something to reinforce my point of view. So I played "Det Som En Gang Var" in its entirety...
And they understood. The guy that hates metal listened to the whole 14 minutes of the song and told me that I got my message through to him! So yeah, I think Varg is capable of making good music. I do hope he didn't lose that ability in jail.
Hamird - 14.12.2009 at 13:51
I have no idea about track list, because I know no Norwegian. I put them in Google Translate and had some complicated translations for result.. But the cover art is very good I say.
By the way, I think the font used for the album title and Burzum name is the one that Opeth use for their logo.. I've downloaded this font..
Astorethein - 14.12.2009 at 14:12
The cover picture is not the best I have seen but the music will certainly be very interesting.
Spyroid - 14.12.2009 at 14:31
I'm not Norweigan but I speak Swedish fluently, and pretty much Danish so I tried to translate some of the titles - but wait for a Norwegian to comment before you confirm thoose

01. Lukans Renkespill
02. Belus' Død - The Death of Belus
03. Glemselens Elv
04. Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning - The lowering (?) of Kaimadalthas
05. Besøk Til Kelio - Visiting Kelio
06. Alvenes Dans - The Dance of the Elves
07. Alvegavene
08. Sverddans - Sworddance
09. Keliohesten - The Kelio Horse
10. Morgenrøde - Morninglight/Red Morning
11. Belus' Tilbakekomst - The Return of Belus
amonamarthavenge - 14.12.2009 at 14:41
''In every genre, there is quality, thought provoking music....and all music is derived from other
music. '' - Konrad .......one hundred percent right....

''They are just as evolved as other races,'' -jadawal .......equality....
''Theguy that hates metal listened to the whole 14 minutes of the song and told me that I got my message through to him! '' - daniell_P ......awesome... interesting friends too...
Why do all of us think that metal is the best genre of music? Many answers. One is that it has evolved from the blues.
This guy has made amazing music. Its been so
me time and im sure a ton of though went into this release. It willl be an experience to listen to it.
TheBigRossowski - 14.12.2009 at 16:30
Well, my opinion hasn't changed, I'll still check it out. Glad it's got a different cover though, this one looks much less homosexual.
Array - 14.12.2009 at 19:14
Could be exceptional.
Black Conundrum - 15.12.2009 at 00:53
I looked up the cover elsewhere, and it is a quite decent one. It has a nice font and a nice nature shot.
Richard - 15.12.2009 at 02:28
Curiously, nothing has yet been said about Varg's vocal style on this forthcoming album. Will it be the tormented wailing of the first few releases, or the distorted style he used on 'Filosofem' - or maybe something different? Perhaps it will be an instrumental album with no vocals? It will be interesting to hear.
Uirapuru - 15.12.2009 at 04:24
Nice tracklist, I understand nothing
Forsaker - 15.12.2009 at 12:06
Frons - 15.12.2009 at 21:46
Written by Bad English on 13.12.2009 at 12:56
(...) but its be moust overated BM album evere realised IMO
who said that's gonna be BM? Sure not him...
METAL! - 15.12.2009 at 23:20
Cover sucks.
Burzum sucks.

nuff said.
BitterCOld - 15.12.2009 at 23:36
Written by Konrad on 14.12.2009 at 01:11

But the corporations choose what is mass-produced, not the musicians.

not entirely. the corporations certainly are a major chunk of the equation, but so are the consumers.

if gangster rap or hair metal didn't sell, and grind core and jazz fusion did, you can bet your ass Sony et all would drop gangster rappers and hair metal bands as fast as they did death metal acts in the mid/late 90's and would start scooping up every Al DiMeola and Brutal Truth clone they could find.
Konrad - 16.12.2009 at 02:11
That's one philosophy...but I believe that corporations also want to sell things that are accessable and can be easily jammed down other's throats through obnoxious advertising. Look who was popular before the TV era...they were mainly popular because they were good! But now, with the "image" generation of musicians, it's not that way. So I agree with you to an extent, but what we both said fits into the equation somehow.

Either way...hip-hop does not define black culture...not even modern black culture...it's just a part of it.
Cesc Fabregas - 16.12.2009 at 11:40
I love it.
Ellrohir - 16.12.2009 at 14:25
Written by METAL! on 15.12.2009 at 23:20

Cover sucks.
Burzum sucks.

nuff said.

we are glad you are so intelligent and that you supported your statement with so many irrefutable arguments
blizzard tyrant - 16.12.2009 at 16:44
Written by Spyroid on 14.12.2009 at 14:31

01. Lukans Renkespill
02. Belus' Død - The Death of Belus
03. Glemselens Elv
04. Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning - The lowering (?) of Kaimadalthas
05. Besøk Til Kelio - Visiting Kelio
06. Alvenes Dans - The Dance of the Elves
07. Alvegavene
08. Sverddans - Sworddance
09. Keliohesten - The Kelio Horse
10. Morgenrøde - Morninglight/Red Morning
11. Belus' Tilbakekomst - The Return of Belus

I think that the 4th means Descent of Kaimadalthas..
jadawal - 27.12.2009 at 23:22
Written by Konrad on 16.12.2009 at 02:11

I respect your opinions and your drive to be correct, but from the paragraph I wrote, you think you know who I am. Everyone has their own opinions. I'm not going to say I know a lot about hip-hop, but I definatly know a lot more than the average MS user. I do not listen to radio rap like you suggested above.

Your first sentence, I disagree with. I think a lot (if not all) of modern black culture(american) is based around hip-hop, and not blues or jazz or ska or punk. In fact, if you seen the documentary "American Hardcore" you can see that some of the first punk derives from the rastas, in Jamaica.

Yes, like I said, melodies are almost extinct in hip-hop, and myself being a lover of melodies, I'm a hater of melody extinction.

White people are to blame for filthy rap? I don't know where you get this to, but I'm guessing from eminem? Dr. Dre made eminem from his very first single, he chose what vulgar things he said. And yes I can see how it gave ghetto black people hope, but I don't know why. Maybe most couldn't afford a guitar to play some blues?

Many people base their idea of rock from what they hear on the radio, and that's life. There will always be people who only need a disposible catchy tune in the background of their head, and if I had to guess, I would say that's the majority. How do I like it? Not very much but everyone has their own opinions.

I appriciate and respect every culture, but I have the right to my own opinion, since I live in Canada I guess. I really enjoy some hip-hop songs, but on an average, I dislike the black's gangster additudes.

And you beleive Varg's a cool guy? He's a murderer, therefore an idiot in my books. But that's just a word with multiple meanings. Yes I'm sure he has quite the capability to write some good songs, but if I had the chance for "count" varg to be my buddy I would have to turn him down, haha.
Spyroid - 31.12.2009 at 01:06
Written by blizzard tyrant on 16.12.2009 at 16:44

Written by Spyroid on 14.12.2009 at 14:31

01. Lukans Renkespill
02. Belus' Død - The Death of Belus
03. Glemselens Elv
04. Kaimadalthas' Nedstigning - The lowering (?) of Kaimadalthas
05. Besøk Til Kelio - Visiting Kelio
06. Alvenes Dans - The Dance of the Elves
07. Alvegavene
08. Sverddans - Sworddance
09. Keliohesten - The Kelio Horse
10. Morgenrøde - Morninglight/Red Morning
11. Belus' Tilbakekomst - The Return of Belus

I think that the 4th means Descent of Kaimadalthas..

That's right! Couldn't find the word, lol
Shuvo - 04.01.2010 at 23:53
New logo!!
hope it will be mind-blowing like previous albums:)
just cant wait!!

News Burzum - Announce New Album Details 9 21.01.2012 by Mr. Doctor
News Septicflesh - Debut New Song, More Album Details 5.5 15.04.2014 by Fearmeister
News God Dethroned - New Album Details Revealed 5.5 28.09.2010 by Yojimbo