Metal Storm logo
Coupling

19.12.2007 - 11:40
Deadsoulman
Elite
I've recently rediscovered the four seasons of this hilarious English series about the relationship and, above all, sex issues, of six Londoners (three men and three women). I've seen this series being quite often compared to Friends, but honestly I don't really see the connection, except for the number of characters. Coupling is much more "real" and far less politically correct than Friends (which often tends to be annoyingly sentimental).

This series has brought us such great and useful concepts as the "giggle loop", the "nudity buffer" (I'm using that for my job interviews now), the "melty man", "unflushables", and also good reasons why man invented fire just to see women's butts and why you should never say you have been amputated of one leg to get a woman to have sex with you

My favourite characters are Steve (especially when he goes in his long, over-the-top rants explaining the differences between men and women) and above all Jeff (see my signature ). This guy is incredibly psychotic and deranged, but at the same time he is amazingly lucid concerning everything but himself. The series was so hilarious mainly due to him. Which is why I liked the fourth season less than the rest, since Richard Coyle (who was Jeff in the series) decided to quit.

I know there was an adaptation of the series in the US, but if I got it well it was cancelled soon after it started because the tone was too crude and irreverent for the American audience. Too bad for them - this blows Friends right out of the water any time

Any other fans around?
19.12.2007 - 18:29
Warman
Erotic Stains
Hehe, I really like this serie. So damn stupid and funny. The guys are great!
----
19.12.2007 - 23:25
Oracle
Orcinus
OMG i love this show. its soooo hilarious. Its waaayyy better than Friends.
I love the Giggle loop one. its soo funny when the guys are at the funeral and they are all trying not to laugh and then Jane ends up laughing.
19.12.2007 - 23:39
Stalker
Lone wanderer
OMG I almost forgot about this grat show !!! Damn I liked to wach that show, but they dont play it any more... Kind of in style of the Friends but WAY better!!! AHH!!!
Jeff rules!!!!!!
----
20.12.2007 - 01:14
Oracle
Orcinus
Matt (Dark Cornatus) and I have all 4 series on DVD and i can never get sick of it. I always crave to watch it wish there were more series and i wish Jeff didnt leave in the 4th Series.
20.12.2007 - 13:39
Deadsoulman
Elite
Yeah the 4th series was slightly less funny than the rest. That Oliver guy they chose to replace Jeff was not as great as him...

I've been trying to find Coupling on DVD with a French version on it so my girlfriend could watch it with me (she doesn't speak English) but it doesn't seem to exist... I know there's a French version however, as the first time I've seen it it was in French on some cable channel. It's been bugging me for months
29.12.2007 - 06:42
Dark Cornatus
Powerslave
Elite
Probably the only decent (modern) comedy series out there for me. It is so clever, especially the episodes with the different perspectives and timeframes. I think my favourite episode is Sex, Death and Nudity (think its called that), with the dead aunt and giggle loop. Jeff is easily the best character, most were upset when series 4 was made without him. Still funny as hell, just doesnt have the same effect without Jeff, i mean all the 'theories' he comes up with.
I really love the cushion scene too, when Steve and Susan are furniture shopping.
29.03.2008 - 14:00
SlaytallicA
Lycanthropy
Really good comedy serie. I stoped seing it when Jeff left,it's not the same without him!
----
One Pound Of Flesh, No More No Less, No Cartilage, No Bones, But Only Flesh...