Metal Storm logo
Guitar Picks

Original post

Posted by Lord TJ, 19.12.2007 - 23:12
Im surprised theres not a thread for this already!

What thickness of picks do you guys use and why do you prefer that thickness? What brand of picks do you use and why? Discuss anything that has to do with picks!

I currently use Dog Brain Picks, I saw them on the Internet, they came in a tin of 12 and they were on sale, so I thought why not? I searched for 1mm sizes because that thickness that im used to helps me pull out heavier sounds. I like the grip on these picks I have, its plastic dots that stick out.

Past picks I had in the past with rubber grips sucked! When my hand would slip that rubber would slip easily, these plastic dots that stick out help grip whether my hand is sweaty or not.
02.02.2012 - 02:19
Julko
Written by fists of metal on 15.01.2011 at 13:55

i think 1.35 or there abouts.
great pick.
they also make an xl version because its a tiny pick in diameter. i find that to work great, but i use the smaller one and its great, it has good grip unlike most other picks i have tried and a slippery pick is one of the worst things for a guitarist to come across D: good pick!

Tried the Xl-version, it's good, but it sort of brings you back to the problem with having a huge pick to begin with
I've had some problems with the grip, well, no problems until I'm on a stage that has sort of the same temperature as the sun. But got a tip that worked pretty well; to cut a X with a knife... or whatever, worked pretty good! (But I'm to lazy to keep doing this with every new Jazz III I buy since the material is a pain in the ass to cut in any way, and I'm not a fan of sharp objects in my hands lol)
----
You dun goofed
02.02.2012 - 06:12
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
.70 dunlops,.40 for acoustic and 1.00 for bass.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
02.02.2012 - 13:30
JD
Account deleted
I use this kind of picks for my bass

does anyone knows what the size of it?
02.02.2012 - 21:14
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 02.02.2012 at 13:30

I use this kind of picks for my bass

does anyone knows what the size of it?

The one I have is 1.00.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
07.02.2012 - 15:39
Slayerus23
Account deleted
I use Dunlop Jazz III 2.00 for my electric guitar. I got used with them soon I start playing the guitar, so I really feel comfortable about of its dimensions.
12.06.2012 - 07:18
A.J Thunder
I've switched like a couple months ago from Jazz III's to the planet waves Black Ice picks. I use the medium 1.2 i think and the heavy ones 1.5 wich i prefer better. Compared to the Jazz III i find these to have a little bit better grip and a they are just a little bit bigger.
13.06.2012 - 02:37
Oaken
Hipster
I used to use .40s but now I use .80s. It was hard for me at the beginning to tremolo pick with .80, but now it's quite easy. Moreover, .80s produce less pick noise than .40s. I'm not an expert on picks though so I'm not sure of that. It's only a personal observation.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
13.06.2012 - 22:23
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Oaken on 13.06.2012 at 02:37

I used to use .40s but now I use .80s. It was hard for me at the beginning to tremolo pick with .80, but now it's quite easy. Moreover, .80s produce less pick noise than .40s. I'm not an expert on picks though so I'm not sure of that. It's only a personal observation.

Most of what I play has tremolo in it, I use a .60 sometimes a .70 if I don't have any .6's around.

Anyone know a good density for a Mandolin?
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
14.06.2012 - 02:10
Timmeh
Dudeman
Jazz 3's all the way. Every other pick erodes like a bitch, with Jazz's the same pick can be used for years. I was using the XL version for ages but made the change to the much smaller normal Jazz III and I gotta say the normal version trumps the XL. Can't beat XL for rapid obnoxious thrashin though.
14.06.2012 - 13:04
A.Ghosheh
I use 0.96mm picks, thick picks don't easily bend. I remember when using thin picks they used to bend and tend to keep their new shape.
----
Kem Khefa Kheshef
14.06.2012 - 20:18
ANGEL REAPER
Few months ago i switched from 0.42 to 0.46 mm picks because the 0.42's last like couple of days maximum ... 0.46's can hold up to 1 month...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
17.06.2012 - 04:03
Mattybu
Written by Boxcar Willy on 13.06.2012 at 22:23

Written by Oaken on 13.06.2012 at 02:37

Most of what I play has tremolo in it, I use a .60 sometimes a .70 if I don't have any .6's around.

I always go at least 1.0 if there's gonna be tremolo happening, I find when I start getting lower things get floppy and sloppy... Maybe I am just not good at playing with the thinner ones lol
03.08.2012 - 09:21
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Dunlop 1.5 mm is definitely the best for playing crazy fast licks and such. Maybe a little lighter for strumming chords, but using a pick too light is just sloppy to me.
06.08.2012 - 15:56
parallax
Dunlop or Fender Delrin picks, 1.14mm.
06.08.2012 - 16:16
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Started using Peavy 1mm's since they came free with my new guitar, they work nice.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
06.08.2012 - 18:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast
A friend gave me a pick-of-destiny replica which was really cool looking, however it was not one of the best picks I've used, and I lost it some months ago. I tend not to get too attached to guitar picks (except if I caught it from a show like Dave Linsk's guitar pick when Hail! played here) because I used to lose them like crazy
08.08.2012 - 08:53
Void Eater
Account deleted
Always use small picks, not sure of the exact thickness, but pretty thick. Basically chode picks.
08.11.2012 - 03:50
FourMechALYX
Account deleted
1.5mm Dunlops (powdery finish not shiny finish, they stay in my fingers better) all the way!! When I was just starting out I liked light picks because they are easier to sound good playing, but if you don't mind how they amplify errors a little bit then thick picks are the way to go, the tone is just so much better.
22.11.2012 - 12:58
?enrisúlfr
1.10 Jim Dunlop Jazz picks, or Hetfield signature picks not sure on the thickness of those.
These are the only picks I can use, don't know why.
22.11.2012 - 13:35
ANGEL REAPER
Now i'm using 0.60 mm picks ... for rehearsals... but for recording i still use 0.46 mm picks
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
15.12.2012 - 18:32
Sangre Sani
I bought "Planet Waves Black Ice" medium 0.80 pick and find it amazingly comfortable to play with. It made fast alternate picking easier for me.
15.12.2012 - 20:00
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Still rocking the Peavy picks that came with my Ibanez 8 months ago, these things are indestructable.
----
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS