Metal Storm logo
Helmet

10.01.2008 - 05:06
I was somewhat surprised to find absolutely nothing on Helmet on Metal Storm. Yes, albums after Betty seemed to go downhill fast, but they released three very good albums. Strap it on is their first and easily the most raw. Meantime is my personal favorite, and also relatively heavy. The only skidmark on Helmet between the 1992 - 1994 period is a terrible rap song released with House of Pain on the Judgment Night soundtrack. Betty was released after that, and showed that they hadn't completely lost it. It is somewhat slower than on Meantime, but a very solid album nonetheless.
I don't care at all for the albums after Betty. The raw sound from the first two albums are completely gone, as is any semblance of good music.
Any other fans?
10.01.2008 - 23:43
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
nothing wrong with that rap song... it was a fairly good hybrid

Meantime is of course the pinnacle of their career, not to mention one of the most important records of the 90s...
Betty had that brilliant jazzy groove to it that they really should have stuck to instead of becoming more stripped down for Aftertaste.
With this said, I still think Aftertaste is by and large a great album, most notably for the somewhat resigned tone in Hamilton's vocals, which makes the music depressive in a non-obvious way.

Sadly, the albums following the 'reunion' are almost uniformly crap

But yeah, definitely a Helmet fan here.
Fudge Tunnel is also great.
11.01.2008 - 02:08
Glad to hear there is at least one fan on this board...I was starting to wonder if anyone liked them
21.04.2008 - 04:10
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I guess I'm kind of a Helmet fan (I got into them after getting into some Prong), but I've only heard the album Meantime. I like the stop/start riffing and that dude's voice. Judging by the other posts I guess I should check out Betty...
21.04.2008 - 13:21
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i heard some song in one of those newer NFS games, fuckin forgot the name of the song and the game. can someone help me out? i really liked it..
22.04.2008 - 08:19
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I think that song is called Crashing Foreign Cars, but I'm not entirely sure.
22.04.2008 - 10:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Dangerboner on 22.04.2008 at 08:19

I think that song is called Crashing Foreign Cars, but I'm not entirely sure.

oh yeah i remembered now, thanks!
10.05.2008 - 14:52
Cocacolacowboy
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 21.04.2008 at 04:10

I guess I'm kind of a Helmet fan (I got into them after getting into some Prong), but I've only heard the album Meantime. I like the stop/start riffing and that dude's voice. Judging by the other posts I guess I should check out Betty...

You oughta check out Helmet's first album "strap it on", way superior to meantime. the raw energy on this album is soo abrasive and noisy.shame Page cant recapture Helmet's energy nowadays.
11.05.2008 - 00:51
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Cool man, I guess I should hear that one too. I actually checked out Betty last week though, and it's also great. It's a little more chill, but still worth buying. Maybe I should buy CD's instead of beer.
21.05.2009 - 08:14
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Pretty cool band. ''Meantime'' is good, but their less heavy works sound better to me. Before listen to ''Meantime'' and ''Betty'' i've only heard of this guys from the Soulfly cover In The Meantime, thats where I get interested in them.

Just got to get Aftertaste and Monochrome, have no idea how they sound.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
21.05.2009 - 16:30
Written by Uirapuru on 21.05.2009 at 08:14

Pretty cool band. ''Meantime'' is good, but their less heavy works sound better to me. Before listen to ''Meantime'' and ''Betty'' i've only heard of this guys from the Soulfly cover In The Meantime, thats where I get interested in them.

Just got to get Aftertaste and Monochrome, have no idea how they sound.

I don't really care for their post-Betty material. I thought it to be lacking the aggression of their earlier albums, but you might like it.
05.09.2010 - 21:24
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Re-listening Meantime for the thousandth time.. =) Such an addictive album, the noisy stop 'n' go riffage, the groovy ambience, preeminent bass...

I was missing Helmet, a profile here wouldn't be such an absurd..
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
06.01.2011 - 03:45
ferm
Very good band. I like the kind of (could you say) "harsh" songs the best, like Ironhead. That is like the soundtrack to beating down a police or something like that