Metal Storm logo
Kansas

18.01.2008 - 19:50
marillionfan
Account deleted
Kansas is for me at least one of the greatest rock bands ever, and I say they deserve being discussed here; they started as a progressive rock band and to me, their best period is 1974-1977. With their 1979 album, they made their sound more accesible, more melodic hard rock, though prog-related (I say); they had a great comeback in 1995 and did one more album since then in 2000.
I was lucky to find even solo works of vocalist/keyboardist Steve Walsh and of guitarist Kerry Livgren, they're amazing musicians; guitarist Steve Morse collaborated on two albums - in the 80s - Power (1986) and In the Spirit of Things (1988), great albums as far as I'm concerned but unfortunately not everybody's cup of tea.
So let's discuss the music of Kansas here, I welcome you warmly
19.01.2008 - 00:25
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
I got into Kansas awhile ago...I bought their first two albums and enjoyed them right away...I really enjoyed how they melded progressive rock with American Western musical influences...it's quite unique...
19.01.2008 - 18:47
Ascalon
Very good band, and it's so much more than just "Dust in the wind" wich it's a good song.. but you'll find so much more in Kansas albums.
----
"Follow your steps and you'll find, the unknown ways are on your mind" (Angra)
19.01.2008 - 19:41
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
I love Kansas! Oh wow, what an amazing band, and one most people don't seem to know. If you guys like Kansas, you should check out Proto~Kaw. They are the band that Kansas was born out of, and they reunited in 2004, and have released some great prog rock albums since.
----
(space for rent)
06.11.2008 - 10:41
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Kansas was killed by guitar hero. Killed in the face.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
07.11.2008 - 19:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Kansas was/are good american band rised on roots og country but lil more commercial sucsesses amd more popular , yes I kmow its rock band but still lil but country spirit are in band music

Once long ago we own ''Monolith'' viny and same ''Audio-Visions'' but I like more ''Kansas'' and ''Song for America'' still shood be tape coppies(unfortunatly take are split to half )

Good band and I prefere more firts albums. never hear late 80's and 90's but I think thay isnt so good
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.08.2009 - 14:25
msensei_79
Account deleted
Great fucking band!!!
22.05.2023 - 06:40
majormalfunction
I've been listening through Kansas discography the recent weeks and will post a best of list very soon. As they are not featured here on MS I thought I could throw in my short impressions of the albums here instead. Here's the first 9 albums:

Kansas 1974. Strong debut that laid the foundation of what's to come, they already here got their trademarks set.. progressive songs, hooks, vocal harmonies and most importantly all instruments are prominent in the writing and performance. Great great album. 8/10

Song for America 1975: Another great one where you can hear the band has matured and delivers three phenomenal prog epics, Lamplight Symphony is probably my favourite of those. 9/10

Masque 1975: The opening song was a attempt to create a hit single for the band. It didn't work and the song feels misplaced on a otherwise outstanding album. My favourite of their three first albums. 9/10

Leftoverture 1976: Rarely considered anything less than their absolute masterpiece. Side A is as good as music gets and side 2 is nearly equally good with the two brilliant ending tracks Cheyenne Anthem and Magnum Opus. The true winner here is Miracles out of Nowhere, which combines everything to such perfection that it's one of my all time favourite songs. 10/10

Point of Know Return 1977: Shorter songs and a more radio-friendly leaning while still maintaining the prog elements of the past. It's another win and rightfully considered a classic. No song is anything less than great here. 9/10

Monolith 1979: Usually considered the place where they lost a bit of their foothold in the songwriting, and even if there's a slight truth in that this is still a top record and the last one that carries the classic Kansas formula all the way. 8/10

Audio-Visions 1980: Their first AOR record. Sure they already have done AOR songs but at this point it's definite. Livgren and Walsh are still on the top at writing songs and here's some phenomenal tracks as the moving ballad Hold On and the prog-fueled Don't Open Your Eyes. 8/10

Vinyl Confessions 1982: New lead singer with John Elefante, to lose Walsh was a huge blow but IMO Elefante stepped into those shoes nicely. This is however the first Kansas album where the song quality start to get mixed and some songs are quite dull but overall it's a good record. Play The Game Tonight is a instant AOR classic and the closing Crossfire is a top Kansas song. 7/10

Drastic Measures 1983: One of, if not their weakest album IMO. The songs, mostly written by Elefante and his brother, feels empty and rarely (if anywhere) feels like Kansas. There's no violin here either as Robby had left the band, which was yet again a huge loss. Kansas without violin is the equaliant of what Iron Maiden would be without twin lead guitars. They are at this point just another AOR band among others.. the three songs written by Livgren are probably the best but they are far from what one would expect from him. 5/10
----
Everything's twice as bright with money in your hands
22.05.2023 - 08:23
JoHn Doe
Written by majormalfunction on 22.05.2023 at 06:40

Drastic Measures 1983: One of, if not their weakest album IMO. The songs, mostly written by Elefante and his brother, feels empty and rarely (if anywhere) feels like Kansas. There's no violin here either as Robby had left the band, which was yet again a huge loss. Kansas without violin is the equaliant of what Iron Maiden would be without twin lead guitars. They are at this point just another AOR band among others.. the three songs written by Livgren are probably the best but they are far from what one would expect from him. 5/10

While you are not wrong here, remember how bands had to change the sound in the 80s, other old(er) bands did even a worse work (to put it nicely) than Kansas. I still like the album, yes, it's one of their weakest, but still enjoyable for what it offers on its own.

I hope you listen the two albums with Steve Morse on guitar (1986 and 1988). The 1988 album In the Spirit of things is great IMO, saved by a great vocal performance from Walsh and excellent guitar work.

While going on his own after leaving Kansas after Audiovisions, Steve Walsh had a new band called Streets. They released two albums, melodic hard rock, I warmly recommend the band.
----
I thought the two primary purposes for the internet were cat memes and overreactions.
22.05.2023 - 22:35
majormalfunction
Written by JoHn Doe on 22.05.2023 at 08:23

While you are not wrong here, remember how bands had to change the sound in the 80s, other old(er) bands did even a worse work (to put it nicely) than Kansas. I still like the album, yes, it's one of their weakest, but still enjoyable for what it offers on its own.

Yeah you're right, there's worse attempts than this... but still, Drastic Measures is just so... toothless. And with repeated listens I just seem to find it more and more hollow.

I hope you listen the two albums with Steve Morse on guitar (1986 and 1988). The 1988 album In the Spirit of things is great IMO, saved by a great vocal performance from Walsh and excellent guitar work.

Of course, I will add comments about the rest of the albums any day now

While going on his own after leaving Kansas after Audiovisions, Steve Walsh had a new band called Streets. They released two albums, melodic hard rock, I warmly recommend the band.

I love Streets, both albums are great
----
24.05.2023 - 21:39
majormalfunction
Power 1986: Now even Livgren is out (with the great Steve Morse as replacement) and instead Walsh is back. Still no violin player though. It's a generic AOR record with some alright songs scattered throughout. Not much else to say. 6/10

In the Spirit of Things 1988: Same lineup as on Power but this time they have left the AOR out. It's a more diverse and intresting album compared to the two previous ones. Still the quality isn't really up to what one would expect of Kansas. I like this record but at the same time find it a bit boring. The highlight is the musical influenced Rainmaker. I also like Bells of Saint James, despite having a quite weak chorus. 6/10

Freaks of Nature 1995: Between In the Spirit of Things the band was down for counting. The band was touring in 1990 as the classic lineup (minus Robby) but Livgren and Hope left shortly after still leaving a solid lineup with finally a new violin/ guitar player in David Ragsdale. Now finally it actually sounds like Kansas once again even if Walsh vocals was very questionable at this point. Some great songs to be found here as the Livgren written Cold Grey Morning and beautiful ending song Peaceful and Warm. 7/10

Always Never the Same 1998: Features three new songs (all written by Walsh) and a collection of re-recorded songs with an orchestra, among them is a cover of Eleanor Rigby, which is IMO the only really intresting thing here. The new songs are okey but forgetable. None of the re-recorded classics are worth listening to over the originals, mainly because Walsh vocals is so far from the greatness he had back in the day. 5/10

Somewhere to Elsewhere 2000: The classic lineup reunited once again (Dave Hope only plays on two songs though) and everything is written by Livgren. On paper it's a dream but the end result is mixed to say the least. While it features some of the best songs they had done in a long time it also boasts too many average or plain boring songs. It's kind of sad as the opening with Icarus II gives so much hope for the rest of the album but already at the three following songs you're reminded that Livgren doesn't have the perfect golden pen anymore. 6/10

The Prelude Implicit 2016: Great return to form here.. the band both manages to capture the essence of classic Kansas while also sound fresh, modern and playful. This is easily their best album since Audio-Visions. 8/10.

The Absence of Presence 2020: Not much to say here, it's basically The Prelude Implicit part 2 with the same quality writing and performance. Stellar album. 8/10
----