Metal Storm logo
A Hymn To Subjectivity (Episode II)

Written by: Lucas
Published: 23.02.2008

Everybody has some sort of "sin", a thing he or she likes while he or she actually should not like, according to 'common sense'. We all know them: the movie-expert that owns every edition of "Herbie: Fully Loaded" and secretly watches them every sunday afternoon on his home cinema set. The Dream Theater fan that loves his music complex and progressive, but craves for a good dose of Danzig every once in a while. And last but not least, the maniacal depressed Black/Drone/Doom metaller, who secretly listens to Shakira at least once a week.

Yeah, that last one is me. Perhaps not once a week, but I definitely do enjoy her music. I have never made it a secret, but still, this can be seen as my ultimate and final coming out. She was one of my first musical idols and even though I discovered a music genre that was much more "me", I never turned my back on her. Why not? Because she is good. Damn, she is good. (I also have a secret crush on her, which has lasted for about six years right now).

One of the reasons that I adore her, while I hate almost every other "MTV-act", is her image. She appears to be more of a natural and intelligent girl, no make-up, no bitchy attitude. And I appreciate that, even though that image may be just as plastic as the rest. I can't help it, baby. (that is a quote from her song "Fool", if you didn't know that already).

So well, up the irons and all other sorts of metal slogans, but I’m going to retreat and sing-along with my Colombian beauty.

Shakira – Laundry Service

Where to start with this Colombian, hot-blooded vocalist? With the cover, which shows a close up of her pretty face, and has secured a lot of impuls-buys, no doubt? Or with some of her hit-singles, like "Objection (Tango)", "Underneath Your Clothes" or her break-through and quite possibly her best song ever, "Whenever, Wherever"? Truth is, it doesn’t really matter. All of it is great. "Laundry Service", her fifth studio album and the first one with lyrics in English, was a hit album, and rightly so.

From the very first seconds of the album the vibe is set. She sings of unfaithful men, being happy with a new love, promises for the future, the pain caused by cheating etc. Conclusion: theme of the album is love, in all its shapes and forms. This allows great songs to blossom, such as the aforementioned hits but also the jolly "Ready For The Good Times", the catchy and groovy "Eyes Like Yours" and the funny "Rules".

The instrumental part of the album is a reflection of her education and youth: a mixture of various European and Arabian styles. Tango, salsa, pop and rock are all brought professionaly by the various session musicians that shine on this album. A flute in "Whenever, Wherever", a violin and accordion in "Eyes Like Yours", everything is perfectly done and this variety offers a couple of nice surprises and unique edges to "Laundry Service".

All in all, "Laundry Service" is a great album in its own right. But I realize most of you readers here on Metal Storm won’t even bother to check this out. I cannot say I care though, as it is you’re loss, not mine. I am going to spin it once more.

"Whenever, wherever
We're meant to be together
I'll be there and you'll be near
And that's the deal my dear."

Written on 23.02.2008 by If you're interested in extreme, often emotional and underground music, check out my reviews. I retired from reviewing, but I really used to be into that stuff.

Comments

Comments: 36   Visited by: 115 users
23.02.2008 - 09:10
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Hahaha, Shakira, you shock me more and more everyday Nervel. But something about her voice I find kind of hypnotizing....literally. I mean, I probably would never bring myself to get that album, but theres those nights when I make sure none of my friends are around to catch me listening to Shakira I'll go on youtube and listen to 'Whenever, Wherever'. Haha, thats probably my darkest secret right there. Haven't really looked into the rest of the album, and Im not a hip-hop fan so I doubt I'll look into any of her recent stuff (the stuff with like...wyclef jean and such). Maybe I'll check it out when I can get over my own self-consciousness and partial close mindedness (which I am completely aware of).....you give me courage Nervel. lol.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.02.2008 - 12:31
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Man, we outcasts gotta stick together.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
23.02.2008 - 12:42
Harmonic
Account deleted
You'd probably be surprised how many closet Shakira fans are hiding here on Metal Storm...
23.02.2008 - 13:11
Warman
Erotic Stains
Hahaha nice reading I must say.
----
23.02.2008 - 14:47
Torelli
You are offically my hero now, Nervel. Shakira can be fun to listen to once in awhile, but I have never dared to listen to a hole album.

Btw, I absolutlly agree that we all have skeletons in our closet(or a shakira album in your case ), Mine happens to be the third artist I mention in "favorite artists".
23.02.2008 - 15:18
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Torelli on 23.02.2008 at 14:47

You are offically my hero now, Nervel. Shakira can be fun to listen to once in awhile, but I have never dared to listen to a hole album.

Btw, I absolutlly agree that we all have skeletons in our closet(or a shakira album in your case ), Mine happens to be the third artist I mention in "favorite artists".

Laleh? That's the name of a kebab/fastfood place in my town.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
23.02.2008 - 16:07
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
Staff
Hahaha, well there is nothing wrong with appreciating good pop music... The likes of Michael Jackson or Prince are definitely musical geniuses and hearing them once in a while shouldnt be considered an embarrasment for anyone.

I have to admit though that I am not really into more modern pop music. OF course, once in a while I will hear something interesting while channel surfing and arriving at MTV; however, I usually dont seek out anything on purpose.

With this said, I have to agree Shakira seems to be one of the more interesting pop 'queens' these days. She also looks damn good with a guitar in her hands!
23.02.2008 - 16:26
GT
Coffee!!
Staff
Well Nervel your blogs seems to be the place to 'get out of the closet' about pop music I too enjoy this little girl's (she's only 152 cm) music and especially "Whenever, Wherever." It's just a good song and her voice on that song in particular is just brilliant. I'm not a big fan of most of her other stuff, but I do enjoy it once in a while.
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
23.02.2008 - 18:18
That's all nice to know (:
----
I Love You is 8 letters and so is BULLSHIT
23.02.2008 - 18:48
Talvi
Expecting Iaberis response to this thread.

He will support you for sure
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
23.02.2008 - 19:09
Ernis
狼獾
I always considered Shakira more serious and much better than average pop acts....for me she's more of a Latin/country singer...she's beautiful plus she's natural...a nature-child...you're right, Nervel....indeed she lacks this bitchy attitude of the majority of pop singers...
24.02.2008 - 01:04
Warman
Erotic Stains
My skeleton in the closet? Must be Love is a Battlefield by Pat Benatar, damn how much I love that catchy song!
----
24.02.2008 - 14:10
Torelli
Written by Lucas on 23.02.2008 at 15:18

Written by Torelli on 23.02.2008 at 14:47

Laleh? That's the name of a kebab/fastfood place in my town.

Haha, well not that laleh. It doesn't suprise me though, as it's a pretty common (persian)name. She is a swedish-iranian singer-song writer with focus on pop on the records and more of the reagge style live. She is very popular with the indie pop kids and she is regarded as a hippie by some(do to she exprience with her voice live and giving rather vivid interviews). Personally, i think she is brilliant.

I listened to that shakira cd yesterday. It...wasn't...that...bad, actually. Never thought I would discover pop music on a metal site... But I don't see all that obession over her apperance. Allright, she is a sexy dancer and have a nice accent, but that's it...
24.02.2008 - 20:00
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Torelli on 24.02.2008 at 14:10

I listened to that shakira cd yesterday. It...wasn't...that...bad, actually. Never thought I would discover pop music on a metal site... But I don't see all that obession over her apperance. Allright, she is a sexy dancer and have a nice accent, but that's it...

It's what she can do with her hips that makes her special...
24.02.2008 - 20:24
Torelli
Ah yes, her hip movements can be quite...hypnotic. to say atleast. But their are other women who can move on their hips aswell you know. It all comes down to personal taste I guess.
24.02.2008 - 21:14
Harmonic
Account deleted
Written by Torelli on 24.02.2008 at 20:24

Ah yes, her hip movements can be quite...hypnotic. to say atleast. But their are other women who can move on their hips aswell you know. It all comes down to personal taste I guess.

Okay, who? I'd like to check this out on youtube!
25.02.2008 - 20:29
Torelli
Written by Guest on 24.02.2008 at 21:14

Written by Torelli on 24.02.2008 at 20:24

Okay, who? I'd like to check this out on youtube!

Well, I wasn't talking about any specific women here. Ever heard of belly dancing? But if you most, check out Tanyeli, on of Turkey's most well-known dancers. Simply beautiful, both dance and body.

Oh well, we are going quite off-topic here...
28.02.2008 - 09:22
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Congratulations Nervel, your blog entry had turned into an AA Meeting...or and SFA meeting?

"Hi, I'm Dr.Rock, and Im a Shakira fan."
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
01.03.2008 - 17:53
Stigmatized
Shakira's voice is definitely interesting and she has some definite catchy songs. Plus, the fact she can dance like that isn't hurting matters either.
01.03.2008 - 22:25
rageing atheist
Account deleted
Hi, I'm rageing atheist and I have a Doctor Bombay tape I occasionally listen to in order to piss people off. When I was about 10 years old I used to listen to it while dancing in front of a mirror, thinking I was really cool. Needless to say, I probably wasn't that cool.
02.03.2008 - 22:33
wrathchild
Staff
Hum, I have listened to this album, I wanted to because I do like "Whenever Wherever" quite a lot, for the song features interesting music and vocals. Unfortunately the whole album is quite poor, flat and palin compared to this one song. I was hugely disappointed. And nowadays the only good thing with Sharkira's music is not the music, actually...
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
04.03.2008 - 17:10
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Now that's somethng surprising. I do liek some of Shakira's songs, but from the old stuff.
The skeleton in my closet, BTW, is Ashbury Heights.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
27.03.2008 - 23:34
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Nervel, are you into her Spanish stuff, her beginnings?
----
Christless
28.03.2008 - 13:47
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I don't have a cd of her spanish stuff, but I used to have a burnt cdr and those songs were very cool.
----

28.03.2008 - 21:59
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Some of those songs can be cool indeed. Her stuff used to be more Pop/Rock oriented back then. I did not mind listening to those songs back then from time to time. Her lyrics were more abstract back then. Used to like her image more in the past too, she looked more like a Rocker with straight long black hair, instead of the image she has now, as if she just got out of the beach a moment before.
----
Christless
30.03.2008 - 13:06
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
Fuck Shakira. It's all about Avril Lavigne.
----
01.04.2008 - 21:48
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Avril WTF? Do you listen to that shit?
----
Christless
02.04.2008 - 04:23
Elijah
Dance, bitch!
Written by Darth Satanious on 01.04.2008 at 21:48

Check my favourite bands and album collection, duder.
----
17.04.2008 - 19:43
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Written by Elijah on 02.04.2008 at 04:23

Written by Darth Satanious on 01.04.2008 at 21:48

Check my favourite bands and album collection, duder.

I know you like her. Now you see the only two albums in my collection and remember who made her thread in the past.
----
Christless
08.10.2008 - 18:34
Elio
Red Nightmare
Shakira. why people call you Nervel, is this your real name and not Lucas??
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.

Hits total: 6196 | This month: 30