Metal Storm logo
British Metalstormers

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 08.03.2008 - 15:25
Old thread locked, time for a new thread.

Post news, gigs and what not here...
10.05.2010 - 20:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 10.05.2010 at 20:16

Written by Irritable Ted on 10.05.2010 at 20:13

The stories have changed so many times today, from Con-Lib to Lab-Lib that I don't think we will know whats going to happen for a while yet.

My main worry now is that if the Lab-Lib deal goes through, then we will have an unelected Prime Minister again. Even the people who voted for Labour didn't want that.

What foreign company would want to invest in a country whose political leadership was so weak and not democratically chosen?

Whowever ends up as prime minister will be an "unelected" prime minister. The conservatives did not get a majority, you have to realise that 64% of people do NOT want the conservatives in power.

There's going to be people moaning about whatever happens. I was just referring to Gordon standing down a few minutes ago.

64% do not want conservatives in power, true... but then again 71% (I think that's the figure but am not sure) don't want either Labour or the Liberal Democrats in power.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.05.2010 - 21:13
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.05.2010 at 20:48

64% do not want conservatives in power, true... but then again 71% (I think that's the figure but am not sure) don't want either Labour or the Liberal Democrats in power.

I don't know where you got that figure from. Only 48% of people voted for a party other than Labour or Liberal.

Only 36.1% of people voted conservative. 29% voted Labour and 23% voted Liberal. 11.9% voted for none of these three.
10.05.2010 - 21:21
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 10.05.2010 at 21:13

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.05.2010 at 20:48

I don't know where you got that figure from. Only 48% of people voted for a party other than Labour or Liberal.

Only 36.1% of people voted conservative. 29% voted Labour and 23% voted Liberal. 11.9% voted for none of these three.

Dunno where I found that figure, tbh. Oops, I see I actually meant 71% don't want Labour in power.
It is clear that the Conservartives gained the most votes, so it it would only be natural that they will provide the prime minister.
And Conservatives joining up with the Lib Dems is as natural as Labour joining forces with Libs Demo. Lib Dems are more or less in between those two parties.
Here in The Netherlands the largest party gets to provide the primie minister.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.05.2010 - 21:29
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.05.2010 at 21:21

Dunno where I found that figure, tbh. Oops, I see I actually meant 71% don't want Labour in power.
It is clear that the Conservartives gained the most votes, so it it would only be natural that they will provide the prime minister.
And Conservatives joining up with the Lib Dems is as natural as Labour joining forces with Libs Demo. Lib Dems are more or less in between those two parties.

It would be a little weird having the 2nd and 3rd parties in power, yes. It's my bias towards Labour that prevents me seeing it is wrong.

The Liberals and Conservatives couldn't be further apart though. Labour and the Liberals have much more similar values than the Conservatives. On even terms, no other political party in the country would swing towards the Conservatives over Labour. We have a Green MP and a few Independents who I would guarantee would always prefer to work with Labour of the Conservatives.
10.05.2010 - 21:46
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Baz Anderson on 10.05.2010 at 21:29

We have a Green MP and a few Independents who I would guarantee would always prefer to work with Labour of the Conservatives.

I think that's your Labour bias talking again .

I have not seen anything written anywhere about this.

The main problem seems to me to be that no one wants any of them in power .

Maybe the Queen and / or Prince Charles should have a go
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
11.05.2010 - 03:32
Richard
Elite
Written by hanna of steel on 10.05.2010 at 21:46

Written by Baz Anderson on 10.05.2010 at 21:29

We have a Green MP and a few Independents who I would guarantee would always prefer to work with Labour of the Conservatives.

I think that's your Labour bias talking again .

I have not seen anything written anywhere about this.

The main problem seems to me to be that no one wants any of them in power .

Maybe the Queen and / or Prince Charles should have a go

Why not! If people are saying that Labour and the Lib Dems should form a coalition and be in charge, even though the Conservatives technically got the most votes, then it makes a mockery of the whole point of voting. We may as well just have the BNP and the Monster Raving Loony Party join forces and rule the country..!
----
11.05.2010 - 09:52
hanna of steel
Poison Girl
Written by Richard on 11.05.2010 at 03:32

Why not! If people are saying that Labour and the Lib Dems should form a coalition and be in charge, even though the Conservatives technically got the most votes, then it makes a mockery of the whole point of voting. We may as well just have the BNP and the Monster Raving Loony Party join forces and rule the country..!

I'm not too keen on the BNP , but the Monster Raving Loony party would be good.

Another point against a Labour / Lib Dem coalition is that even if they did get together they would still not have a majority .
Perhaps we should have another election straight away and try again

I'm blaming my youngest son for this mess - it's the first time he has voted and look what happened .
----
Hell is other people - Jean-Paul Sartre
12.05.2010 - 20:09
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Richard on 11.05.2010 at 03:32

Well no, it doesn't make a mockery of it - because enough people voted for these two parties (with a few more seats from the little parties) to form a coalition together. People still voted for Labour, a lot of people.

The BNP and Looney Party obviously couldn't form a majority government because no one voted for them. Labour and Liberals could have realistically formed a majority government (with a little help) - because a lot of people still voted for them. It would be undemocratic to ignore the 8,604,358 people that still did vote Labour.

The Conservatives did not get an overall majority - that doesn't mean that they somehow have the automatic right to form a government or claim they are the winners, the reality is that no one won.

Still. It's all done now. We'll have to wait and see what this government can do.
12.05.2010 - 23:57
Baz Anderson
Staff
A referendum for proportional representation wasn't part of the deal between the two in power now, but there will be a referendum for the alternative vote system.
If proportional representation had have been brought in though, I don't think we would have seen a majority winner of an election in our lifetimes again. Alternative vote will help the Liberals, but I don't think would make a great deal of difference in general.
14.05.2010 - 04:17
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
I think those surveys from Yougov are not very accurate. Not enough people take part in those surveys. If I am not mistaken, almost all the facebook polls indicate that labour has more support...

I personally don't think Gordon Brown got England into this mess, because the global financial crisis was global and it struck the US first. And with the extent of globalisation, it would be hard not to affect UK in a negative way. As for the spending problem, it's really not as serious as many papers make it sound just because Greece is in so much trouble. From all the Financial Times articles I've been reading, most expert indicate that it's unlikely UK would get downgrades anyway even though the figures are big, because UK has a much bigger GDP.

I do agree that Brown should have been more careful about the "bigoted woman" incident, but these sort of things happen all the time. Even Obama called Kanye West a "jackass" when he thought he was off the mic
----
loves 小巫
14.05.2010 - 10:27
Baz Anderson
Staff
The Facebook polls I saw all had the Liberals coming out on top... which just goes to show that the Facebook demographic is not to be trusted with things like this.
15.05.2010 - 03:48
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.05.2010 at 21:21

Not so sure I would say the Lib Dems are between labour and conservative, lib dem policy is actualy further left than labour... I agree that it was right conservatives provided the prime minister... but that might be my conservative bias...
15.05.2010 - 03:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Stuart on 15.05.2010 at 03:48

I agree that it was right conservatives provided the prime minister... but that might be my conservative bias...

Why would that be conservative bias? Conservatives ARE the biggest party. If Labour were then they would have to rpovide the PM and if Lib Dem then they would have to provide.
At least that's the way it works here in The Netherlands. The biggest party provides the PM.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.05.2010 - 04:03
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.05.2010 at 03:53

Written by Stuart on 15.05.2010 at 03:48

I agree that it was right conservatives provided the prime minister... but that might be my conservative bias...

Why would that be conservative bias? Conservatives ARE the biggest party. If Labour were then they would have to rpovide the PM and if Lib Dem then they would have to provide.
At least that's the way it works here in The Netherlands. The biggest party provides the PM.

I agree, as the system currently is thats right...

but I think the systems needs changing... it is not impossible for a party to actualy recieve more votes than any other party and yet have half the seats in the house of commons than another party... and therefore still be virtualy unable to provide the prime minister... this is a possibility... is that right? there are many better solutions...

but as it stands according to my bias, I can't complain
15.05.2010 - 04:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Stuart on 15.05.2010 at 04:03

it is not impossible for a party to actualy recieve more votes than any other party and yet have half the seats in the house of commons than another party... and therefore still be virtualy unable to provide the prime minister... this is a possibility... is that right?

true and that I find the most crooked representation ever. AT least here in The Netherlands if a party gets 30% of the votes it gets 30% of the seats, if another gets 9% of the votes they get 9% of the seats.
Look at what happened to Lib Dem they got around 25% of the votes but I think only 9% of the seats or something along those lines. Totally stupid if you ask me. The first thing that should be reformed is the voting system in England.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.05.2010 - 04:51
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.05.2010 at 04:14

true and that I find the most crooked representation ever. AT least here in The Netherlands if a party gets 30% of the votes it gets 30% of the seats, if another gets 9% of the votes they get 9% of the seats.
Look at what happened to Lib Dem they got around 25% of the votes but I think only 9% of the seats or something along those lines. Totally stupid if you ask me. The first thing that should be reformed is the voting system in England.

well as a rule I would agree with proportional representation... but then there is the possibility no laws would ever be passed because there may never be a consensus on a matter (unless coalitions existed which defeats half the purpose of proportional representation), and if there was a time of crisis this could be an issue... I'm sure there must be some way of implementing a mix of proportional representation and the alternative vote... but in order to do that you would need to change whole structure of british politics and create a presidency... not sure if that would ever work based on the fact that britain is still ruled by a monarch... and the monarchy in itself brings a certain stability...

So in light of the above... I think that as this stand currently a referendum on the alternative vote at the constituency level is the most appropriate if not best solution.
15.05.2010 - 10:43
Baz Anderson
Staff
If we had PR then we'd never have a majority government again.

And to go back to Marcel saying "Conservatives ARE the biggest party."... - They still didn't get a majority though, and that is all that matters. They weren't that much bigger, hence the no majority.
15.05.2010 - 14:14
Stuart
MiseryKing
Written by Baz Anderson on 15.05.2010 at 10:43

And to go back to Marcel saying "Conservatives ARE the biggest party."... - They still didn't get a majority though, and that is all that matters. They weren't that much bigger, hence the no majority.

but they still have more votes than anybody else... if any other party provides the prime minister then it goes even further against what you're saying.
16.05.2010 - 05:08
Baz Anderson
Staff
16.05.2010 - 21:02
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 15.05.2010 at 10:43

If we had PR then we'd never have a majority government again.

A majority government is possible through coalition building. A one party majority government, though. isn't possible.
Imo coalitions usually work better than one party majority governments.
I think it's a good thing not a single party gets the majority. Problem with that is that one party than hijacks almost all policy making.

Yes I know Conservatives didn't get a majority but neither did Labour. And yes they aren't that much bigger but still bigger nonetheless hence it is only logical for them to provide the PM.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

21.05.2010 - 18:47
Baz Anderson
Staff
Written by Irritable Ted on 21.05.2010 at 18:46

I go on holiday for a week and look what happens.

Hahahaha. That was a drunken night, I hope you gather.
22.05.2010 - 03:02
Richard
Elite
Written by Baz Anderson on 21.05.2010 at 18:47

Written by Irritable Ted on 21.05.2010 at 18:46

I go on holiday for a week and look what happens.

Hahahaha. That was a drunken night, I hope you gather.

I thought he was referring to the change in government! Unless you mean that Gordon Brown was having a drunken night! Although who could blame him...
----
09.06.2010 - 13:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Your comments about new law that all who come to UK outside EU, merige, studies, etc can get visa only after thay take langauge exame
Watchging UK border Force, Brit Cops , Road Wars , many people from India, Pakisktan, Afganistan, Africa, hardly speek english even overstay visa 5-10 years.

About fucking shooting, I heard in news unarmed cops saw guy and could stop him before shooting, since thay was unarmed, isnt better that all cops carry handgun like USA, Swe, Lv, Spain, Gre whereever

Is there any other country in world where cops dont carry hand guns?
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
09.06.2010 - 16:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Bad English on 09.06.2010 at 13:41

many people from India, Pakisktan... hardly speek english even overstay visa 5-10 years.

Most Indians and Pakistani already speak English BEFORE they enter England and speak and write it better than most people here on MS. Remember that both countries used to be English colonies.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.06.2010 - 18:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.06.2010 at 16:46

Written by Bad English on 09.06.2010 at 13:41

many people from India, Pakisktan... hardly speek english even overstay visa 5-10 years.

Most Indians and Pakistani already speak English BEFORE they enter England and speak and write it better than most people here on MS. Remember that both countries used to be English colonies.

I know, but UK Borde Force, Road Wars and such documentaries about British police , many of those speek week in english, and some indians in Deli aipoprt use translatior when border officers quastening tham, Im suprised whit it, because I know both was British colonies
----

apos;'
[image]
10.06.2010 - 10:49
Baz Anderson
Staff
Yes, there are some people here that don't speak English. I've not been reading the news though, so I don't know what exactly they are going to bring in.
10.06.2010 - 10:52
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Baz Anderson on 10.06.2010 at 10:49

Yes, there are some people here that don't speak English. I've not been reading the news though, so I don't know what exactly they are going to bring in.

News say if you wanna merry someone and want live in UK, get student visa or work visa, you shood make english exame, like in school-reading, wrighting(Im glad I shood not take it LOL), talking, hearing, understanding etc

But its only oustide EU countries, but moust eu citzizens know english, younger how 25 shood know
----

apos;'
[image]
10.06.2010 - 12:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Irritable Ted on 10.06.2010 at 12:03

The UK need to do something to make it harder to come here to live.

The country is full.

We can't afford to keep the country running already. We have so many people living off benefits and putting nothing back in to the country, thats people who were born here as well as through immigration. It is too easy for people to come to this country, through arranged false marriages or asylum and claim all the benefits paid for by the hard working people through already crippling taxation.

We need to think about closing the borders to immigration completely for a while, until we have reduced the huge debt that the previous government had created. If you are entering with investment then you may enter, if you are coming with nothing then sorry we're full.

Just making them learn english is simply not enough and impossible to enforce.

It shood be done long ago, in 70's 60's 50's
But there stupid law you have no passport you cant be deported, that law sucks amnd moustly people who go there hardly can read, write and do any job, evem simple on
----

apos;'
[image]
21.12.2010 - 01:51
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Elite
This is purely random, but I just discovered today that Tesco online Entertainment sells quite a range of metal CDs at occasionally pretty good prices. Kind of happened like this:

I wanted to buy Another Messiah's Dark Dreams, My Child as I saw it for £5.99, but didn't pull the trigger yet because I decided to save for a bit first, so it was on my watch list. Today I just checked on it and it was sold, so a random browse the net steered me towards the Tesco store. Either Another Messiah is more well known than I think or perhaps Tesco does have some random stuff in their warehouses o.o Anyway, I ended up buying the same CD that I wanted to get, but at £3.97 with free delivery (2 quid off, yay), plus I can get club card points

So for those only expecting Iron Maiden and Metallica, maybe it may have a few surprises out there
--------------------------------- I Am A Division Line --------------------------
btw, anyone got their travel plans disrupted?
I'm flying tomorrow, so fingers crossed =/
this is why heathrow is taking so long to clear the runway...
----
loves 小巫
21.12.2010 - 23:42
Baz Anderson
Staff
I'll be driving back to Grimsby on the 24th, so I don't think I have anything to worry about thankfully.
The weather is pretty epic though, I've never known it to be so cold. The coldest I saw my car thermometer get over the last few weeks was -19.5°C... epic.