Metal Storm logo
Iron Maiden

Original post

Posted by GT, 25.03.2008 - 21:26
Since the old topic exceded its post limit here's the new topic about the band many of us like.

Last discussion in the old topic was about these shoes.

Post your thoughts and comments

EDIT: link to the old topic here
08.12.2009 - 02:45
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Biedrik on 08.12.2009 at 02:05

Written by Saitenhexerin on 07.12.2009 at 22:04

HAve you seen that: http://ironmaiden.com/ and that: http://www.metalhammer.co.uk/news/major-sonisphere-announcement-coming-this-wednesday/comment-page-1/#comment-32765?

1 + 1 = makes me very happy.
If this would be the case, and Maiden headlining Sonisphere I don't care if I have to fly all the way from Austria!

Looks interesting. Shame that The Sonisphere is on another continent.

That's how it *always* is with big gigs when you live in the US...
08.12.2009 - 02:59
Culty
Thats one of the biggest shames of living in the US.
----
Gfnttlr
08.12.2009 - 09:47
Saitenhexerin
You really think so?
We think you've got all the major stuff over there!
And loads of awesome bands come from the US...
But I can see that it is difficult to cover all the US, so if you'Re no living in LA or New York...

But I am sure, if Maiden are about to tour, they'll pop over...!

And I am only currently living in the UK, Austria is *really* bad for big tours or anything. The good and big bands always seem to forget us.
----
- When I die, bury me in smoke.
- Defendress of the Faith.
08.12.2009 - 09:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Sonisphere just another run-of-the-mill boring mainstream metal travelling circus.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.12.2009 - 10:10
Angel Of Mercy
If Maiden do one UK date I will be really annoyed. Hope they do more then one.
----
Your time will come.
08.12.2009 - 22:44
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Saitenhexerin on 08.12.2009 at 09:47

You really think so?
We think you've got all the major stuff over there!
And loads of awesome bands come from the US...
But I can see that it is difficult to cover all the US, so if you'Re no living in LA or New York...

But I am sure, if Maiden are about to tour, they'll pop over...!

And I am only currently living in the UK, Austria is *really* bad for big tours or anything. The good and big bands always seem to forget us.

Outside of classic bands like Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, etc., we don't get shit. ESPECIALLY good festivals. Ozzfest is a fucking joke. Gigantour and Progpower is about as good as it gets. :/ The only US exclusive tour this upcoming year (that I know of) with multiple bands playing that I find *awesome* is the tour with Devin Townsend, Cynic, and Between the Buried and Me (not of big fan of them, but whatev). Dev and Cynic in the SAME PLACE! A prog fan's dream. :O We don't get shit for folk, most PM that aren't Nightwish, or black metal. They just won't make enough monies coming over here I guess. Judging by your tastes, you'd prob get your fix on good shows over here though.
08.12.2009 - 23:48
Lord_Regnier
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 08.12.2009 at 22:44

Outside of classic bands like Maiden, Priest, Sabbath, etc., we don't get shit. ESPECIALLY good festivals. Ozzfest is a fucking joke. Gigantour and Progpower is about as good as it gets. :/ The only US exclusive tour this upcoming year (that I know of) with multiple bands playing that I find *awesome* is the tour with Devin Townsend, Cynic, and Between the Buried and Me (not of big fan of them, but whatev). Dev and Cynic in the SAME PLACE! A prog fan's dream. :O We don't get shit for folk, most PM that aren't Nightwish, or black metal. They just won't make enough monies coming over here I guess. Judging by your tastes, you'd prob get your fix on good shows over here though.

PM has never been big on American soil. Especially if it's too commercial. Most people here hate Euroflowermetal.
As for Pagan/Viking/Folk metal, this stuff is immensely overrated by Europeans in general but I think most people here see how generic and boring this stuff is from a metal standpoint.
It looks like every band who doesn't know what to do is jumping in the Pagan/Viking/Folk metal bandwagon since a few years.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
09.12.2009 - 00:02
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Lord_Regnier on 08.12.2009 at 23:48

PM has never been big on American soil. Especially if it's too commercial. Most people here hate Euroflowermetal.
As for Pagan/Viking/Folk metal, this stuff is immensely overrated by Europeans in general but I think most people here see how generic and boring this stuff is from a metal standpoint.
It looks like every band who doesn't know what to do is jumping in the Pagan/Viking/Folk metal bandwagon since a few years.

Recalling your (sometimes overly-bias) love for Black Metal, I can understand how this comment would make sense to you. But honestly, it would seem that PM is pretty popular among metal fans in the US. Given that power metal IS poppy, it would only make sense for more band to tour over here... It just hasn't broken into the mainstream here enough to, I guess (besides Dragonforce). In other words, most (usually young) people *don't* hate PM. This is because it is so accessible. Also, like any genre (including Black metal), folk is overridden with a lot of alike bands. Music is a dark abyss of mediocrity, and only a small percentage of artists really shine through. Out of all the metal fans I know, a good amount of them appreciate all kinds of metal. I think you should maybe try to understand that everyone is not as narrow-minded as you may be. In other words, you don't speak for everyone in the US.

PS
I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just making observations and explaining them in the best way possible.
09.12.2009 - 00:14
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I too have heard rumors about Maiden being the Sonisphere Festival headliner for next year guess time will tell.
09.12.2009 - 01:36
Tormentor666
Sonisphere... I wouldn't like Iron Maiden to play in such a festival. But anyway, I'll wait for the dates and do all that is on my hand to see them once again live. They're my favourite band after all.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
09.12.2009 - 18:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 09.12.2009 at 00:14

I too have heard rumors about Maiden being the Sonisphere Festival headliner for next year guess time will tell.

I doubt that if they play Sonisphere they will be the headliner. Sonisphere is a festival set-up by Metallica. So it would be obvious for Metallica to headline. Also due to the fact Metallica is a much bigger band than Iron Maiden.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

09.12.2009 - 19:06
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 09.12.2009 at 18:44

Written by Valentin B on 09.12.2009 at 00:14

I doubt that if they play Sonisphere they will be the headliner. Sonisphere is a festival set-up by Metallica. So it would be obvious for Metallica to headline. Also due to the fact Metallica is a much bigger band than Iron Maiden.

well yeah but at least in one of the three day fests(Istanbul, Knebworth, and Bucharest) it'd be too awesome to include Maiden too..

best line-up so far imo would be:
-Iron Maiden with Anthrax main support - first day
-Slayer with Mastodon main support - second day
-Metallica(with whatever band) - third day
10.12.2009 - 13:08
Lord_Regnier
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 09.12.2009 at 00:02

Written by Lord_Regnier on 08.12.2009 at 23:48

Recalling your (sometimes overly-bias) love for Black Metal, I can understand how this comment would make sense to you. But honestly, it would seem that PM is pretty popular among metal fans in the US. Given that power metal IS poppy, it would only make sense for more band to tour over here... It just hasn't broken into the mainstream here enough to, I guess (besides Dragonforce). In other words, most (usually young) people *don't* hate PM. This is because it is so accessible. Also, like any genre (including Black metal), folk is overridden with a lot of alike bands. Music is a dark abyss of mediocrity, and only a small percentage of artists really shine through. Out of all the metal fans I know, a good amount of them appreciate all kinds of metal. I think you should maybe try to understand that everyone is not as narrow-minded as you may be. In other words, you don't speak for everyone in the US.

PS
I'm not trying to insult you, I'm just making observations and explaining them in the best way possible.

I listen to what I like. Period.

Who said that we should like and enjoy every genre? Lots of metalheads are ridiculous and pathetic with this 'proud of being open-minded and bragging about it each time someone doesn't like something' attitude.

They're not more open-minded. They just happen to either:
1. lack the ability to know their tastes well enough, make choices and focus on what they like the most
2. have low standards so they like pretty much everything
3. have too much time to loose at listening to every crap (and the metal scene is oversaturated with crap currently) thrown at them

I know that the metal community is proud of its so-called open-mindedness and this post won't make some metalheads stop thinking that I'm narrow-minded.
But the metal community can believe whatever it pleases it to believe.
This fucking retarded so-called community, I put up my ass anyway.
----
10.12.2009 - 22:13
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Lord_Regnier on 10.12.2009 at 13:08

Who said that we should like and enjoy every genre?

Not me. :/

Written by Lord_Regnier on 10.12.2009 at 13:08

Who said that we should like and enjoy every genre? Lots of metalheads are ridiculous and pathetic with this 'proud of being open-minded and bragging about it each time someone doesn't like something' attitude.

They're not more open-minded. They just happen to either:
1. lack the ability to know their tastes well enough, make choices and focus on what they like the most
2. have low standards so they like pretty much everything
3. have too much time to loose at listening to every crap (and the metal scene is oversaturated with crap currently) thrown at them

I know that the metal community is proud of its so-called open-mindedness and this post won't make some metalheads stop thinking that I'm narrow-minded.
But the metal community can believe whatever it pleases it to believe.
This fucking retarded so-called community, I put up my ass anyway.

I've said this once, and I'll say it again. There is a difference (to me) between being *narrow-minded* and *close-minded*. Close-minded, meaning you seclude yourself to a limited type of interest or life-style without giving anything else a *chance*. Narrow-minded, meaning that you are aware that alternatives exist and have experienced them, but you still confine yourself to one specific thing. At least that's how I describe these things. So, what I meant is that I trust that you've given other types of music a chance, but your tastes only encourage you to mostly listen to BM in your case. Like you said, you like what you like.

Oh, and like most generalizations, you description of open-minded people is very unfair. Lemme address your points here:

"1. lack the ability to know their tastes well enough, make choices and focus on what they like the most"
Ever think that some people just generally love music? It's a pretty simple concept to understand.

"2. have low standards so they like pretty much everything"
Ever think that some people just generally love music? It's a pretty simple concept to understand.

"3. have too much time to loose at listening to every crap (and the metal scene is oversaturated with crap currently) thrown at them"
11.12.2009 - 00:04
Lord_Regnier
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 10.12.2009 at 22:13

I've said this once, and I'll say it again. There is a difference (to me) between being *narrow-minded* and *close-minded*. Close-minded, meaning you seclude yourself to a limited type of interest or life-style without giving anything else a *chance*. Narrow-minded, meaning that you are aware that alternatives exist and have experienced them, but you still confine yourself to one specific thing. At least that's how I describe these things. So, what I meant is that I trust that you've given other types of music a chance, but your tastes only encourage you to mostly listen to BM in your case. Like you said, you like what you like.

Ok. This way, it's very clear.

Indeed, I checked every genre over the course of the years and I've been more into some than others at different periods of my life.
I got bored of every genre, other than BM, because it fits my own tastes much more than any other genre can.

Mind you, I'm not saying that BM is the best genre. It's the one I like the most by far. And, even when it comes to BM, I'm quite selective. I confine myself to BM because I'm the kind of person who focus on what I like the most. Also, because I have limited time to listen to music, with my work and my other hobbies. Even if I'd wish to check and listen to tons of stuff, I couldn't because I'm too busy.

The other reason is I'm really not someone who could force music through himself. It would never work.
----
18.12.2009 - 01:58
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
I just Heard "Afraid to Shoot Strangers" with Blaze Bayley, and personally I think its way better, than with Bruce, Ive always found Blaze to be darker, and thus a fan of his work. Anyway was that song only done live with Blaze or was it a bonus on some album?
18.12.2009 - 17:41
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I believe studio version of "Afraid To Shoot Strangers" is only listed on discs from ending of first Bruce era...
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

20.12.2009 - 00:41
Nighthowls
Paratrooper
Written by Ellrohir on 18.12.2009 at 17:41

I believe studio version of "Afraid To Shoot Strangers" is only listed on discs from ending of first Bruce era...

yeah but I want to know if theres a studio version of "Afraid To Shoot Strangers" with Blaze Bayley? do you know if there exist one, thanks?
20.12.2009 - 10:30
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Doesnt it resulting from my statement already? or do you think someone would make studio version and then not use it on album? and even if yes, then you wont get it anyway if it is not listed on any album...
----

05.02.2010 - 07:42
Number Juan
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son is a thing of beauty. That is all.
----
A stupid man's report of what a clever man says can never be accurate, because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. - Bertrand Russell
10.02.2010 - 23:19
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Dear Satan,

thank you for having Iron Maiden compose the song "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner".

yours truly,

Valentin B.
11.02.2010 - 00:16
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Valentin B on 10.02.2010 at 23:19

Dear Satan,

thank you for having Iron Maiden compose the song "Rhyme of the Ancient Mariner".

yours truly,

Valentin B.

Ditto.

Shouldn't we thank S.T. Coleridge too?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
11.02.2010 - 00:48
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
I will add - thank you for having Iron Maiden play this song live during their 2008 show in Prague
----

11.02.2010 - 22:28
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Elio on 11.02.2010 at 00:16

Written by Valentin B on 10.02.2010 at 23:19

Dear Satan,

yours truly,

Valentin B.

Ditto.

Shouldn't we thank S.T. Coleridge too?

I third that.

Written by Ellrohir on 11.02.2010 at 00:48

I will add - thank you for having Iron Maiden play this song live during their 2008 show in Prague

I know. The song is so fucking mystical when played live. :O
11.02.2010 - 22:44
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
As i said in my review after that - the evening has two highlights - first was singed along Fear Of The Dark, second Rime Of The Ancient Mariner...i remember Bruce as he stood behind the helm as "The Mariner"...
----

16.02.2010 - 20:18
Tormentor666
I have read somewhere on the Internet that Iron Maiden have just finished recording their new album, their producer has stated that there's a lot of work left to do.

What do you expect from Iron Maiden's new album? I think it will be more or less the same as their former album stylistically speaking. If so, I think I'm gonna like it.
----
WARFARE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
16.02.2010 - 21:04
Stalker
Lone wanderer
Written by Tormentor666 on 16.02.2010 at 20:18

I have read somewhere on the Internet that Iron Maiden have just finished recording their new album, their producer has stated that there's a lot of work left to do.

What do you expect from Iron Maiden's new album? I think it will be more or less the same as their former album stylistically speaking. If so, I think I'm gonna like it.

Well, the 70's which spawned Iron Maiden are long gone, so it will definitely be something more like A Matter... or Dance of Death...
----
16.02.2010 - 21:49
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
And i wouldnt have problem with it
----

16.02.2010 - 23:35
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Yeah i heard some tiny samples on the Flight 666 dvd, and they sound pretty good and not too far off from their 2000s sound.

right now the only bit i remember clearly was something in 6/8 time signature with harmonies and weird drums.. to me it seems pretty unexpected from Maiden, but trying something new never hurts.
16.02.2010 - 23:42
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Valentin B on 16.02.2010 at 23:35

right now the only bit i remember clearly was something in 6/8 time signature with harmonies and weird drums.. to me it seems pretty unexpected from Maiden, but trying something new never hurts.

Uh, need I remind you:

And

Some bands just aren't cut out for it. XD