Metal Storm logo
Therion

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 17.05.2006 - 04:56
....So, taking into account that I am feeling somewhat un-original right now, I shall start this thread with a description, stolen from Wikipedia.

"Therion is a Swedish symphonic metal band. Its name originates from Greek, where therion means simply beast; the name refers to the beast of the Christian Book of Revelation, however the band's name itself originates from the Celtic Frost album To Mega Therion. Therion was founded by Christofer Johnsson in 1987. Beginning as a death metal band, they later turned to combining orchestral elements with their metal music employing heavy use of choirs and classical musicians.

Therion's music takes its themes from different mythologies and is based on concepts ranging from occultism, magic and ancient traditions and writings. The majority of their lyrics are written by Thomas Karlsson, head and founder of the magical order Dragon Rouge of which Johnsson is a member. The band has seen many changes in line-up and style throughout its history"

This band to me, are absolutley sublime. The elements they combine are not only multifarious, but beautiful in the way they are placed and presented. Lemuria / Sirius B was an instant classic for me, so much more so than the bands previous endevours.

What do you all think of this terrific ensemble?
09.11.2006 - 08:06
Robstar
Therion is a great german band, I like listening their songs to relax... GreatSymphonic shit !
I had the change to check them out down here in Costa Rica... Great Gig!
----
Nothing is unreacheable
09.11.2006 - 19:23
Vidrageon
Account deleted
Written by Robstar on 09.11.2006 at 08:06

Therion is a great german band

Shame they're Swedish...
09.11.2006 - 20:05
RavenLord
Written by [user id=1279] on 09.11.2006 at 19:23

Written by Robstar on 09.11.2006 at 08:06

Therion is a great german band

Shame they're Swedish...

Think that's bad? I used to think Edguy were American (albiet before I had heard any of their stuff)! :p
----
10.11.2006 - 01:11
Lorien
Account deleted
Vovin is my fav album and Son of The Sun is my fav song
I'm going to see them in a couple of moths
Can't wait!
10.11.2006 - 14:29
Vidrageon
Account deleted
These guys and Devil Doll are bands that are on top of my to-see-live list...and I know I'll never be able to see Devil Doll live ;<
17.11.2006 - 19:14
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i think i am going to the infamous "therion goes classic" one-night only gig!!
basically, it's a charity purpose concert with 170 orchestra people and of course the unmistakeable guys from THERION...i wonder if mats leven is going to be there, so i can thrash the seat when they play blood of kingu
also mozart and beethoven compositions will be played. AND when i just see the flyers in town advertising the concert and i see christopher and some other guy headbanging on it my blood just pumps harder!
wonderful band, and sirius b is probably my favourite album of theirs
19.11.2006 - 04:17
Lorien
Account deleted
I'm listening to new promo and I must say the sound is very different... less orchestra parts and less choirs and soprano parts... but still sounds great and it's more listenable..
19.11.2006 - 19:23
El Vikingo
Jesus....I'm listening to the promo right now and I am confused as hell...haha.
It is quite a bit different to say the least.
But HOT DAMN IS IT GOOD!
People are going to be pretty shocked because there is ZERO orchestration (well...it seems to be done on keyboards and I believe I may have heard a real flute, but I could easily be wrong on either or both accounts) and there is very little of the operatic singing that we are used to in Therion, but once you get used to it, it turns out to be pretty damn nice. I would easily put it in my top favorite Therion albums.
----
"The worst kind of death is getting eaten by someone you love."
20.11.2006 - 07:28
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Staff
Yeah, I've had a chance to listen to the new Therion a few times, but I'm still undecided on it. There are a few tracks that I can tell are really going to grow on me, but at the same time, there are few tracks that I simply don't like. Therion has always been a bi-polar style relationship with me where I love a CD and then the next one I'm indifferent to, but I feel some of the songs are just too streamlined somehow. I don't know, it could be a CD I'll get into later on, when it comes out officially. Hm...
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
27.11.2006 - 20:49
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Oh my god. I believe I want to marry Gothic Kabbalah.

Trooly, I was impressed by the first listen immediately, something new and different, the male vocals are much more bearable (I can even say enjoyable!) than were on Lemuria/Sirius B. There are less orchestracions, but still they are there to give the Therion the ambient only they can create. The melodies are extraordinary and momentarily they have this raw sound that just engulfs me.I haven't been this amazed by the first listening of an album for quite some time and I must say Gothic Kabbalah has all the chances to become my #1 Therion album.

Now I am even more looking forward to seeing them again live, it's gonne be one hell of a concert, I am sure of that.

Go Therion!!!
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
10.12.2006 - 11:45
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i didn't go to the "goes classic" concert, but i've at least got a photo with me and chris!
who went to therion goes classic?give us a in-depth analysis of the show
19.12.2006 - 00:38
Nyarlatothep
Gotich Kabbalah is fucking ace! Damn!
----
"To defend one's life and the safety of one's fatherland is the prize and excellence of this discipline"
23.12.2006 - 01:49
Bitch Boy
I heard some tracks of Gothic Kabbalah at the band's myspace, and they sound really really good, but I miss the orchestration.

I've got a question... are there some news about the release of the "Therion goes classic" DVD??
23.12.2006 - 13:20
RavenLord
Written by Bitch Boy on 23.12.2006 at 01:49

I heard some tracks of Gothic Kabbalah at the band's myspace, and they sound really really good, but I miss the orchestration.

I prefer it with more guitars. I felt that Sirius B/Lemuria could get a bit simplistic in the guitar department, although it was very good. More stuff like Deggial and Secret of the Runes would suit me to a tee.

Written by Bitch Boy on 23.12.2006 at 01:49

I've got a question... are there some news about the release of the "Therion goes classic" DVD??

I hope so. I would love to see them play like that, even if it's only a DVD
----
23.12.2006 - 17:29
ylside
Staff
I'm not sure whether Therion will release (if they recorded it that is) a new DVD in the same or just after one year. Remember they already have Celebrators of Becoming.

As for Gothic Kaballah, oh god I really didn't like that album !! It sounds so empty and lacks chorals imo. Female vocals are just 'normal' vocals that have been done thousand times before.

I hope the third part of the trilogy involving Sirius B and Lemuria will be better that GK.
23.12.2006 - 20:51
RavenLord
Written by ylside on 23.12.2006 at 17:29

I'm not sure whether Therion will release (if they recorded it that is) a new DVD in the same or just after one year. Remember they already have Celebrators of Becoming.

As for Gothic Kaballah, oh god I really didn't like that album !! It sounds so empty and lacks chorals imo. Female vocals are just 'normal' vocals that have been done thousand times before.

I hope the third part of the trilogy involving Sirius B and Lemuria will be better that GK.

If you're referring to the samples online, I hope you're not judging the album based on 30-second clips from it.
----
23.12.2006 - 20:53
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by RavenLord on 23.12.2006 at 20:51

If you're referring to the samples online, I hope you're not judging the album based on 30-second clips from it.

I can safely assume he is basing his opinions on having heard ALL 90 minutes of it a couple of times already
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.12.2006 - 21:04
ylside
Staff
Written by RavenLord on 23.12.2006 at 20:51

I've heard the whole thing don't worry. As you can imagine, promo versions of upcoming albums easily leak in peer to peer programs !
23.12.2006 - 21:06
Bitch Boy
@ RavenLord: the guitar work is amazing, but it would have fit well with some orchestration (in my opinion).
01.01.2007 - 00:10
i have all of therions records... at this very instant im listening to Tyrants of the damned
  • bonus track......my fav band and they will always be my fav.......GK sounds completly different then thier latest....it could be good or it could be bad......the only let downs i got from COB is that the audio was not in 5.1...and the picture quality was lacking in the mexico show....and mats leven kinda killed it for me when he would sing songs that he was no part of...:( but the wacken show was totally different
  • ----

23.01.2007 - 06:12
    The Alchemist
    Metalchemist
    I recently got Gothic Kabbalah, though I haven't heard all the songs, but just some parts, I didn't like it much, it sounds pretty different from other good ones, like Deggial, The Secrets of the Runes or Vovin, well, I'm kind of dissapointed with this work
    ----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
    Sensorium - Epica
    23.01.2007 - 11:02
    Iced Dog

really? I thought GK was the material leftover from the Lemuria/Sirius B sessions.

As for GK, I like it, but it hasn't impressed me nearly as much as Lemuria and Sirius B...those were masterpieces IMO, while GK has taken time to grow on me, and I don't think it will ever quite measure up.
    ----
    26.01.2007 - 06:51
    El Vikingo
    Hot damn, I found some good stuff!

Here's a REALLY good video of a recent concert: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHqI2Dc30D0

The soprano is Lori Lewis from Aesma Daeva and she is ddaaaammmmnnnnn fine! I love this fricking woman!

----
    "The worst kind of death is getting eaten by someone you love."
    27.01.2007 - 09:31
    Iced Dog
    cool, thanks for the link...Mats Leven is the man
    ----
    12.02.2007 - 11:41
    Hermanubis
    Account deleted
    Honestly have to say im not impressed at all with their new album. Will always be a Therion fan but it feels as if everything unique and interesting about Therion has been taken away in favour of a more mainstream-accessible 'gothic' album.
    12.02.2007 - 12:48
    Opium Magnet
    Account deleted
    I only liked three songs on Gothic Kabbalah... most songs seemed to drag on without any progress until towards the end of each song, although I must say I LOVED the epic song on this album... It was one of the few that didn't remain stagnant...
    12.02.2007 - 18:57
    Renessanss
    Grand Gardener
    Am I really the only one who thinks that GK is a masterpiece!???
    ----
    12.02.2007 - 20:55
    Bitch Boy
    @ Renessanss: you're not the only one, but it's hard to pic only one Therion album. The album is really really good indeed.
    12.02.2007 - 21:31
    RavenLord
    Written by Renessanss on 12.02.2007 at 18:57

Am I really the only one who thinks that GK is a masterpiece!???

If I give it a listen, I'm sure I will; from the sounds of it, it's a lot more guitar driven and focussed than their other work. Plus, I think Theli is the most overrated album I've heard in a long time...it may have been revolutionary for the band, but it does not hold up to Deggial, SotR and Vovin at all.
    ----
    12.02.2007 - 22:00
    ylside
    Staff
    On the contrary Gothic Kabbalah isn't more guitar driven than Lemuria or Secret of The Runes (for example). It is more vocal oriented, because of the lyrics and the main two lead vocals.