Metal Storm logo
What time is in your mind?

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 18.06.2006 - 08:20
This poll is inspired from a quote from Immortality by Milan Kundera:

Quote:
"It's odd, but human life has never been subjected to mathematical research. Take time, for example. I long for an experiment that would examine, by means of electrodes attached to a human head, exactly how much of one's life a person devotes to the present, how much to memories, and how much to the future. This would let us know who a man really is in relation to his time. What human time really is. And we could surely define three basic types of human being depending on which variety of time was dominant."...

When I was reading this book for the first time - I was young and naive then - I stayed and thought "what about myself?" I realised that I was stuck on the past, and yes, that was very informative for me, since I had never made that thought before. Now, I make this poll - free for you to draw conclusions, if any. I'm still stuck on the past, btw.

Poll

What time you think is dominant in yourself?

Future
Present
Past

Total votes: 111
28.01.2009 - 16:04
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Valentin B on 19.06.2006 at 23:30

carpe diem man...i voted for present.the past isn't all that important imo,but the future is much more important.you can't change what happened in the past,but what matters is what you do NOW,and they can influence waht you do in the future...

i'm writing this 2 and a half years later. it's good to see i haven't changed lol

i'm trying not to live in my (shitty) past. thinking about the future and how my present actions can influence it.
28.01.2009 - 16:26
Ragana
Rawrcat
Hm, I'm living just for the future although I cannot get the past out of my head. Also I make the same mistakes I have done before, but I surely can say that stressing about my future has affected my health already. And I really hate to think about the future.
28.01.2009 - 16:44
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Valentin B on 28.01.2009 at 16:04

Written by Valentin B on 19.06.2006 at 23:30

carpe diem man...i voted for present.the past isn't all that important imo,but the future is much more important.you can't change what happened in the past,but what matters is what you do NOW,and they can influence waht you do in the future...

i'm writing this 2 and a half years later. it's good to see i haven't changed lol

i'm trying not to live in my (shitty) past. thinking about the future and how my present actions can influence it.

I totally agree with your point, that's the way I behave too
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
28.01.2009 - 17:05
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Ragana on 28.01.2009 at 16:26

Hm, I'm living just for the future although I cannot get the past out of my head. Also I make the same mistakes I have done before, but I surely can say that stressing about my future has affected my health already. And I really hate to think about the future.

That sound a bit to much like me. There's far to much unneeded stress going through my head about every time but the present.
----
Coldgrits
28.01.2009 - 18:29
Ragana
Rawrcat
Yeah, and the worst part of it - you just can't stop it. I've tried to forget about things I shouldn't and later it caused more problems than it were before. It would be better if I stressed and actually done something, but nah - I'm sitting on a golden cloud and thinking it all can be solved without my help.

Okay, now I've complained enough.
28.01.2009 - 21:45
ForeverDarkWoods
If I think too much about the future, I very quickly get depressed. I just can't see a bright horizon ahead of me. I know that the past and the present is going to come up and bite me in the ass some day, but I prefer not to think about it. Perhaps if I get the hell out of here, I could start fresch somewhere else, and chances are I'll attempt to do that some day. Today, I live in the present and the very near future, have lots of fun, listen to my metal, and try not to think of the fact that I don't believe there is a bright future for me.

Actually, if I could stop time somewhere around here, there is a chance that I would, because things are probably gonna start changing for the worse soon. I sure as hell don't see the situation getting better, but right now I don't mind the way life's flowing along. A shame it probably won't remain this way.
----
Free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction!
- George W. Bush, ex-president of the United States of America
29.01.2009 - 08:03
Nexus
Asshat
My thoughts are always in the past when I'm absent minded, and simply mulling over different experiences. I derive sentiments when I contemplate those memories, I can't help it. However, it's nice to reflect on every now and again.

In some aspects, usually those that are related to the outside world as opposed to my aimless thoughts, I am more inclined to act with regards to the present. Nevertheless, it always depends on the situation. When it comes to school, all of the actions I take are done with concern to my future, mostly for financial stability later on, and finding a career/subject that interests me, so that I can be relatively content when I'm at work thereafter. I try to envision a rather vague, but realistic future so that I will not be disappointed too gravely. After all, you never know what can happen! For all you know, you are dead tomorrow.

Otherwise, I am rather impulsive and just act in the present, with little regard to my past or future. This again depends on the situation, as I am one to learn from my mistakes. So, depending on the severity of the situation, if there is need to, I will contemplate on past events that are relevant to my present situation and evaluate whether what I'm doing is really beneficial for me or those around me. When it comes to plans with my friends, or whatever the issue may be, I just act with it and go with the flow.

I guess I'm a mix of everything, really! However, ultimately I went with the past as mentally and emotionally it seems I am more attached to that time.
----
If you stand for nothing, you'll fall for everything
26.08.2009 - 18:31
Njord
njord
I would like to see the future in a good way but all the news from this pessimistic society turns my head to live for the present. Of course I like to preserve and extend my life so I don't make many excesses, but usually I like to try new stuff (especially food) and do something new everyday. From the past I can learn from my and other mistakes and because of that I have a huge respect and curiosity for history.