Metal Storm logo
Instrument Magazines

14.04.2008 - 15:09
Hangar XVIII
What's your favorite instrument related magazine?

Mine would be Guitar Player since it has a lot more insightful interviews and lessons, and focuses more on playing skill rather than fame.
Guitar World is better for metal though.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
14.04.2008 - 16:09
Lord TJ
I just got a subscription to Guitar World and received my second issue this month. I havent really taken a close look into it though.

I bought an issue of Guitar Legend that featured Randy Rhoads and I have been all over that magazine since I bought it. Randy is my favorite guitarist and theres so many interesting articles on him as well as guitar tabs.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

https://www.facebook.com/TheBMPage
14.04.2008 - 16:15
Hangar XVIII
Yeah, guitar legend is great, though I don't think it's a regular magazine. From what I can tell it's done by the same people who do guitar world.
----
myspace.com/absentchrist
My new black metal project.
15.04.2008 - 09:34
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
I flip through various instrument mags from time to time, but it just never looks very useful. The majority of the featured bands are mainstream garbage, and the tabs are for mainstream songs and the rest is advertisements and a bunch of boring crap.

I flipped through Modern Drummer the other day and it had a lengthy interview with the drummer of Meshugga, which may have been interesting if I was a fan of theirs.
15.04.2008 - 20:26
Lord TJ
Written by Hangar XVIII on 14.04.2008 at 16:15

Yeah, guitar legend is great, though I don't think it's a regular magazine. From what I can tell it's done by the same people who do guitar world.

There was quite a few articles taken from Guitar World placed into the magazine, and I think I saw Guitar World subscription cards in there as well. I am going to keep a look out for who they cover on Guitar Legend, theres a lot of neat stuff in them, depending on which guitarist your interested in.
----
Visit the "Black Metal Page" on facebook, my page delivers everything black metal - Memes - Music - Humor - Interviews - Discussion.

16.04.2008 - 02:04
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
I generally stay away from musician magazines because its almost all advertisement, a lot of the interviews are just musicians pushing a certain brand. Its kind of a waste of money when I can just go to the music store and try out the equipment, deciding which equipment is best for myself.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
16.04.2008 - 21:12
Lord TJ
Written by Doc G. on 16.04.2008 at 02:04

I generally stay away from musician magazines because its almost all advertisement, a lot of the interviews are just musicians pushing a certain brand. Its kind of a waste of money when I can just go to the music store and try out the equipment, deciding which equipment is best for myself.

Well of course every magazine is going to have tons of advertisements, but I never see musicians pushing what brands they play unless they are in the advertisement. And they are definitly going to state what equipment they use for different reasons, I wouldnt consider that advertising.
----

16.04.2008 - 23:57
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by Lord TJ on 16.04.2008 at 21:12

Written by Doc G. on 16.04.2008 at 02:04

Well of course every magazine is going to have tons of advertisements, but I never see musicians pushing what brands they play unless they are in the advertisement. And they are definitly going to state what equipment they use for different reasons, I wouldnt consider that advertising.

Well, altogether I dont find instrument magazines all that interesting, I'd rather play then sit there reading about playing. And as far as tips and stuff goes, I prefer just watching tutorials on youtube.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.04.2008 - 04:41
Lord TJ
Written by Doc G. on 16.04.2008 at 23:57

I prefer just watching tutorials on youtube.

Yea thats a good option, ive gotten far with that. Its all free too! lol
----

28.12.2008 - 01:37
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Bass player and the guitar world buyers guide are what i read most.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
28.01.2009 - 18:10
Frankenchrist
I love GuitarWorld. Their columns are kickass and their DVD's are great
----
Blat Blat