Metal Storm logo
Opeth

Original post

Posted by addiction, 22.04.2008 - 13:06
the last opeth thread reached the max of 500 posts....so this is the new one...:)
i've never started a topic before in about 4 years...but this is a good chance...:)
Opeth is a fantastic band, probably my favourite. i more or less like all their albums but i think i like blackwater park slightly more than the rest, maybe because it is the first one i ever listened to.
i am looking forwards to the new album and to see them live on the defenders of the faith tour in london in a few days!!!
anyway, you know the drill...discuss away....
29.11.2008 - 01:38
Dane Train
Beers & Kilts
Elite
Written by -DC-002- on 29.11.2008 at 00:39

Axe is a good drummer Mike Portnoy Wannabe but his style of drumming is a bit too metal for the sound.

Fixed.
----
(space for rent)
29.11.2008 - 02:18
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff

I like the new members but I feel that Opeth has lost a lot of the Groovy Jazz sound of the previous works. Axe is a good drummer but his style of drumming is a bit too metal for the sound. Fredrick is a great guitarist though and fills in Lindgren nicely. I also feel that if Martin Mendez where to leave the band, Opeth would lose too much of the Opeth sound. Opinions?

Opeth lost a lot of sound when the drummer Mendez [one of my favorites drummers] left the band...
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
29.11.2008 - 12:06
Ascendant187
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.11.2008 at 02:18

I like the new members but I feel that Opeth has lost a lot of the Groovy Jazz sound of the previous works. Axe is a good drummer but his style of drumming is a bit too metal for the sound. Fredrick is a great guitarist though and fills in Lindgren nicely. I also feel that if Martin Mendez where to leave the band, Opeth would lose too much of the Opeth sound. Opinions?

Opeth lost a lot of sound when the drummer Mendez [one of my favorites drummers] left the band...

Yeah, I think losing their former drummer hurt Opeth a lot. Axe is a brilliant drummer, though, so I don't mean to take anything away from him. I just feel the previous guy (his name escapes me for the time being -- I'm sure someone can let me know) really added a lot to the overall sound, like a lot of people have said in this thread. Especially on albums like Deliverance and Damnation.
29.11.2008 - 15:58
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Ascendant187 on 29.11.2008 at 12:06

Yeah, I think losing their former drummer hurt Opeth a lot. Axe is a brilliant drummer, though, so I don't mean to take anything away from him. I just feel the previous guy (his name escapes me for the time being -- I'm sure someone can let me know) really added a lot to the overall sound, like a lot of people have said in this thread. Especially on albums like Deliverance and Damnation.

Martin Lopez
----
Rod, let me love you.
29.11.2008 - 18:31
Ascendant187
Written by X-Ray Rod on 29.11.2008 at 15:58

Written by Ascendant187 on 29.11.2008 at 12:06

Martin Lopez

That'd be the one.

I've always found it a delight to watch his playing on their previous DVD and on "studio report"/making of videos that've been thrown onto albums as bonuses.
29.11.2008 - 22:31
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Ascendant187 on 29.11.2008 at 18:31

That'd be the one.

I've always found it a delight to watch his playing on their previous DVD and on "studio report"/making of videos that've been thrown onto albums as bonuses.

Yeah... that guys really shines on the Damnation DVD
----
Rod, let me love you.
30.11.2008 - 06:57
I saw Opeth a little more than a month ago and they were brilliant.
----
The Aeons go past and the plagues get unleashed
The city of good is under siege.
30.11.2008 - 08:28
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Manifest Supreme on 30.11.2008 at 06:57

Of course they where

Just wondering, are you new to Opeth?
----
Coldgrits
30.11.2008 - 08:47
John Barleycorn
Minimalist
I saw the video for the song "Burden" and it was crap - it showed the band playing and two people wandering around in Baroque surroundings. It probably tried to be "epic" but I can't stand anything that is related to that word. Opeth videos (which are fortunately few) have always been lame, though.

Then again, metal videos are rarely great but I still expect more from Opeth, considering the quality of the music.
30.11.2008 - 10:18
Insects Of Death
Account deleted
Written by John Barleycorn on 30.11.2008 at 08:47

I saw the video for the song "Burden" and it was crap - it showed the band playing and two people wandering around in Baroque surroundings. It probably tried to be "epic" but I can't stand anything that is related to that word. Opeth videos (which are fortunately few) have always been lame, though.

Then again, metal videos are rarely great but I still expect more from Opeth, considering the quality of the music.

i agree there vid's arent that good but are you trying to put opeth down because there vid's arent good? because to me as long as its a good song and the video isnt utterly pointless im ok.

ex: children of bodom blooddrunk or are you dead yet-those videos have nothing to do with the songs but as long as its a good song oh welll
01.12.2008 - 09:04
Written by -DC-002- on 30.11.2008 at 08:28

Of course they where

No, I have been listening to them since around "My Arms, Your Hearse". I just saw them live for the first time in October. I've been into metal since age 11...I'm 28 now.
----
The Aeons go past and the plagues get unleashed
The city of good is under siege.
01.12.2008 - 09:18
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Written by Manifest Supreme on 01.12.2008 at 09:04

Written by -DC-002- on 30.11.2008 at 08:28

Of course they where

No, I have been listening to them since around "My Arms, Your Hearse". I just saw them live for the first time in October. I've been into metal since age 11...I'm 28 now.

well done (gold claps)
----
Coldgrits
03.12.2008 - 22:56
VPeter
You know, despite the bashing towards the newer albums. I, non Opeth fan actually enjoyed Watershed more then the previous albums they did.
04.12.2008 - 03:31
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by VPeter on 03.12.2008 at 22:56

You know, despite the bashing towards the newer albums. I, non Opeth fan actually enjoyed Watershed more then the previous albums they did.

I noticed you've got Devin Townsend in your favorite bands list. Perhaps that explains it, I noticed the new album has more of that "proggier" style song-writing, with all the weird time signatures and such. The older albums don't really have that as much, they have transitions from slow to fast parts.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
04.12.2008 - 14:20
VPeter
Written by Doc G. on 04.12.2008 at 03:31

Written by VPeter on 03.12.2008 at 22:56

I noticed you've got Devin Townsend in your favorite bands list. Perhaps that explains it, I noticed the new album has more of that "proggier" style song-writing, with all the weird time signatures and such. The older albums don't really have that as much, they have transitions from slow to fast parts.

true maybe that's why. Still my favorite Opeth albums would be Still Life and Blackwater Park.
04.12.2008 - 16:12
Bleak
Account deleted
ONE OF THE BEST GOD DAMN BAND EVER
04.12.2008 - 20:36
Sandarameth
Account deleted
My favourite song is In My Time of Need
my favourite album is Deliverance and Damnation
05.12.2008 - 15:15
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
They will be touring Europe in December and January and the sickest thing is that they will play everywhere besides Portugal, if they are coming to Spain why aren't they playing here? It's just a step away. It makes me sick. All their shows here were sold out, they were great shows, why aren't we given a chance to hear Watershed songs live? The show they were suppose to do in the tour was cancelled. I think we deserved a different treatment, especially considering they sell pretty well here.

It's heartbreaking really, one thing is to have a band you love that does not tour, another thing is being ignore by active bands on tours who play right around the corner. I thought Portugal was on the map by now. Pretty much all the tours end up here eventually, even Priest and Megadeth who never played here much before.

It's just a protest, sorry.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
05.12.2008 - 21:46
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by BloodTears on 05.12.2008 at 15:15

At least you have the chances to go to a concert and the money. At least if Opeth go to Portugal you will probably go there

I don't have the money to go to a concert, because I don't live in the biggest city :
And sometimes if I do have the money the band will play in a bar and I can't go there if I'm just 16 [even if I don't drink alcohol]... because the [gay] system says so.

I've never been in a concert in my entire life. Because I don't count the small ones of bands that only the band's families know.

I kind of envy you a little bit

Just remember: When you feel screwed, think that there's ALWAYS a bastard in a worse situation. And guees what, that's me

Back on topic: Opeth fucking rules. lol.
----
Rod, let me love you.
06.12.2008 - 04:13
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Opeth came through here in October but played 6 hours from where I live in Quebec City and then played 9 hours away from where I live in London...last time they were here they played in Toronto and Montreal so it's all good...
06.12.2008 - 11:13
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by X-Ray Rod on 05.12.2008 at 21:46

Written by BloodTears on 05.12.2008 at 15:15

At least you have the chances to go to a concert and the money. At least if Opeth go to Portugal you will probably go there

I don't have the money to go to a concert, because I don't live in the biggest city :
And sometimes if I do have the money the band will play in a bar and I can't go there if I'm just 16 [even if I don't drink alcohol]... because the [gay] system says so.

I've never been in a concert in my entire life. Because I don't count the small ones of bands that only the band's families know.

I kind of envy you a little bit

Just remember: When you feel screwed, think that there's ALWAYS a bastard in a worse situation. And guees what, that's me

Back on topic: Opeth fucking rules. lol.

I feel for you. I guess I'm talking from my privileged point of view because I usually can attend the concerts of the bands I want. But still it is revolting that they ignored Portugal on this tour for no reason. I hope someone signs them for a summer festival at least! That's what I'm hoping for.
----

My Instagram
08.12.2008 - 00:36
{aud}devil
Lush McGee
I still think Opeth is awesome even though they don't have the same members. I started learning the grand conjuration. Song is fucking hard. Oh yea, and the tour with dream theater was bad ass.
----
Awesome sauce, chicken boss!
Laugh until it means something
19.12.2008 - 01:34
Warman
Erotic Stains
I just came home from their concert! First time I saw Opeth and it was even more amazing than expected. First of all, The Ocean and Cynic where really great suprises. They where bloody fantastic! Åkerfeldt was still sick but apparently refused to cancel the dates in his home town. As everyone else I was expecting the same setlist this tour has had (Heir Apparent, The Grand Conjuration, Godhead's Lament, The Lotus Eater, Hope Leaves, Deliverance, Demon of the Fall, The Drapery Falls and an occasional Bleak) but Åkerfeldt surprised the last audience of the tour with a different one!!! That really made us feel special!

Heir Apparent
The Baying of the Hounds
Serenity Painted Death
The Lotus Eater
To Rid the Disease
Wreath
The Night and the Silent Water
Bleak

He said something about that the band had never played "Wreath" live before. Or did I understand him the wrong way? But the highlight surely was "The Night and the Silent Water", the whole crowd cheered for an eternity. Especially me myself, that second half of the song is some of the best music has to offer.
----
19.12.2008 - 10:55
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Wow, wreath, serenity painted death, the night and the silent water?

You're so damn lucky!
----

My Instagram
19.12.2008 - 12:17
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
I've seen them Play Serenity Painted death twice and Wreath as well. I've never seen Godhead's Lament though. They seem it play it only in Europe
----
Coldgrits
19.12.2008 - 13:17
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Fine, fine. Why do you have to make other people jealous?

----

My Instagram
19.12.2008 - 13:38
Ascendant187
I missed them earlier this year. I'm still kicking myself over it, as they probably wont be back for quite some time.
19.12.2008 - 15:01
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Wreath... Serenity Painted Death... The Night And The Silent Water

Damnm I'm jealous. Specially for Serenity... One of my favorite Opeth-songs... So aggressive and beautiful
----
Rod, let me love you.
21.12.2008 - 22:29
Warman
Erotic Stains
I was apparently way wrong about "Wreath".

Oh, and BTW, you could certainly not hear that Micke was sick.
----
22.12.2008 - 05:15
Metal_Militia
Written by Warman on 19.12.2008 at 01:34

He said something about that the band had never played "Wreath" live before. Or did I understand him the wrong way?

//Played it in Columbus May 16 //
----
"When night falls
she cloaks the world
in impenetrable darkness.
A chill rises
from the soil
and contaminates the air
suddenly...
life has new meaning"