Metal Storm logo
Opeth

Original post

Posted by addiction, 22.04.2008 - 13:06
the last opeth thread reached the max of 500 posts....so this is the new one...:)
i've never started a topic before in about 4 years...but this is a good chance...:)
Opeth is a fantastic band, probably my favourite. i more or less like all their albums but i think i like blackwater park slightly more than the rest, maybe because it is the first one i ever listened to.
i am looking forwards to the new album and to see them live on the defenders of the faith tour in london in a few days!!!
anyway, you know the drill...discuss away....
25.03.2009 - 18:34
Andresopeth
What can i say? Opeth is my favorite band, i love all their albums i think they do different music which mixes the agression with the acostic/mellow passages.They have 9 excelent albums and not every band have their consistence album by album, maybe someday they releases a bad album (even though i think is very hard to happen) but at the moment all their releases have been extremely good. And it is impossible to get tired of them, Orchid, Morningrise, My Arms Your Hearse, Still Life, Blackwater Park, Deliverance, Damnation, Ghost Reveries and finally Watershed wow with those albums this band have to be one of the best of the history
26.03.2009 - 19:15
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by TheBigRossowski on 24.02.2009 at 21:34

This is my 500th post and in light of that fact, I would like to post in the Opeth thread. The band that really brought me into the realms of metal. Of course I started like most people, little Metallica, a few Cradle of Filth songs, but who do I sell my soul to? Opeth!

Ja... So we have something in common, Duderino.
I also started my metal journey in a ore serious band thanks to this guys. Unfourtunately I've never see them live.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
26.03.2009 - 22:54
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.03.2009 at 19:15

Written by TheBigRossowski on 24.02.2009 at 21:34

This is my 500th post and in light of that fact, I would like to post in the Opeth thread. The band that really brought me into the realms of metal. Of course I started like most people, little Metallica, a few Cradle of Filth songs, but who do I sell my soul to? Opeth!

Ja... So we have something in common, Duderino.
I also started my metal journey in a ore serious band thanks to this guys. Unfourtunately I've never see them live.

I wouldn't be too sad about that dude. Opeth seem to be hit-or-miss live, I've seen them twice, once they were amazing, the other they were really boring....
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
26.03.2009 - 23:09
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by Doc G. on 26.03.2009 at 22:54

I wouldn't be too sad about that dude. Opeth seem to be hit-or-miss live, I've seen them twice, once they were amazing, the other they were really boring....

Well... my saddnes is mostly about the fact that I've never been in a concert.... NEVER
Yeah small concerts with guys that only their moms knows and some local bands that are a bit more famous but still really unknown and really generic stuff.

But concerts with a lots of people and/or some huge bands? no... I miss both money and opportunities.
----
Rod, let me love you.
26.03.2009 - 23:16
RockeRoy
I saw opeth i Drammen a week ago:) amaizing;)
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
26.03.2009 - 23:27
RockeRoy
They played all the songs i hoped they would, deliverance, the lotus eater and the leper affinity
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
27.03.2009 - 15:21
TheBigRossowski
Written by X-Ray Rod on 26.03.2009 at 23:09

Written by Doc G. on 26.03.2009 at 22:54

Well... my saddnes is mostly about the fact that I've never been in a concert.... NEVER
Yeah small concerts with guys that only their moms knows and some local bands that are a bit more famous but still really unknown and really generic stuff.

But concerts with a lots of people and/or some huge bands? no... I miss both money and opportunities.

I dig your style too man, you know, got the whole...Swedish thing goin' on. How can you live in Sweden and NEVER have seen Opeth... or been to a big concert for that matter. Money is no excuse, but age limit is. If you told ole Duder that you have to be 18 to get into a show it would be understandable. There HAVE to be other metal dudes in your area that can take you with them to a show. And for money...well, save your lunch money and take a sandwich to school...or something. That's what I did when I wanted something at that age.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
13.04.2009 - 04:49
BradSabbath
Is Opeth's Blackwater Park really that good? Its been voted No. 1 album of all time here, i guess it must been ... haven't really ever listened to them, maybe i should *hmm*
13.04.2009 - 05:01
Biedrik
Written by BradSabbath on 13.04.2009 at 04:49

Is Opeth's Blackwater Park really that good? Its been voted No. 1 album of all time here, i guess it must been ... haven't really ever listened to them, maybe i should *hmm*

Honestly, I think Blackwater Park is the amazing album that many consider it to be. I think that Damnation and Watershed are their best albums.
----
I'm selling metal posters! Ask me about them if you're interested.
13.04.2009 - 06:32
-DC-002-
Mastercommander

Blackwater Park is a very good example of what Opeth sounds like to a person that hasn't heard much of them. It's a great album. It could be a good album to get first. I'd recommend Still Life though, just because it's my favorite and it has the best variety, in my opinion.
----
Coldgrits
13.04.2009 - 16:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by -DC-002- on 13.04.2009 at 06:32

Blackwater Park is a very good example of what Opeth sounds like to a person that hasn't heard much of them. It's a great album. It could be a good album to get first. I'd recommend Still Life though, just because it's my favorite and it has the best variety, in my opinion.

I agree, Blackwater Park is probably the best way to start listening to Opeth. But I think that all the albums before Blackwater Park are so much better.
----
Rod, let me love you.
13.04.2009 - 17:39
TheBigRossowski
Written by X-Ray Rod on 13.04.2009 at 16:10

Written by -DC-002- on 13.04.2009 at 06:32

I agree, Blackwater Park is probably the best way to start listening to Opeth. But I think that all the albums before Blackwater Park are so much better.

Yep. Blackwater Park and Watershed take care of the nicely done progressive stuff. I do like it, don't get me wrong. However, My Arms, Your Hearse and Orchid will cut your Johnson off.

I was worried that I'd never see them again and that they'd only play in Köln, Berlin and what not. Glad to hear about the Wiesbaden show...even though it's not on the site.
----
That rug really tied the room together, did it not?
01.05.2009 - 15:39
MeloDeathViking
I'm going to see Opeth live for the first time tonight in Jersey, and i have to say, im totally psyched! I hope they play a good mix of the old and the new. Can anyone thats seen them on the Watershed tour tell me what you're experience has been in terms of setlist? I'm actually really excited to see Enslaved too. I've heard good things but have just never gotten around to getting their cd.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
02.05.2009 - 16:26
baldur
Written by MeloDeathViking on 01.05.2009 at 15:39

I'm going to see Opeth live for the first time tonight in Jersey, and i have to say, im totally psyched! I hope they play a good mix of the old and the new. Can anyone thats seen them on the Watershed tour tell me what you're experience has been in terms of setlist? I'm actually really excited to see Enslaved too. I've heard good things but have just never gotten around to getting their cd.

be sure that they ´ll play demon of the fall
02.05.2009 - 17:36
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Actually, they don't always play demon of the fall, especially in the last tour.
----

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
03.05.2009 - 13:18
baldur
I saw them twice last year and demon of the fall is the only song i remember they played twice thats why i thought they play it at every show, but i actually suck at remembering setlists, i dont even remember whether they played windowpane (one of my favourites) than i saw them, too sad but i see them again at summer breeze this year, hopefully not to drunk and stoned
03.05.2009 - 13:31
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
They might have played on the shows you went but they don't always play it, they play it a lot of times, true but not always.

I'm good at remembering setlists because I'm never drunk or stoned
----

My Instagram
03.05.2009 - 13:55
baldur
Never been to a concert drunk or stoned? you missed out sth.
not that im trying to convince you to take drugs but a concert, while youre high, can be a incomparable experience
03.05.2009 - 22:17
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by BloodTears on 03.05.2009 at 13:31

Don't let these fools convince you to do otherwise. While being drunk can make a shitty bands concert tolerable, even fun, I as well prefer to be sober at concerts for the most part. I don't see this big necessity to get stoned at a concert, people risk getting thrown out just so they can sneak their drugs in, kind of silly and a bit fiendish if you ask me.
----
- George Carlin
04.05.2009 - 12:36
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
Written by Doc G. on 03.05.2009 at 22:17

Written by BloodTears on 03.05.2009 at 13:31

Don't let these fools convince you to do otherwise. While being drunk can make a shitty bands concert tolerable, even fun, I as well prefer to be sober at concerts for the most part. I don't see this big necessity to get stoned at a concert, people risk getting thrown out just so they can sneak their drugs in, kind of silly and a bit fiendish if you ask me.

A lot of people think otherwise. I never drink at concerts (I hardly ever drink alcohol really). The security never lets me go in with a bottle of water, let alone other substances, the bastards.
----

My Instagram
08.05.2009 - 21:05
Animus
Account deleted
Pff, being drunk in a concert kind of loses it's meaning. imho, you can't appreciate music while drunk. while it might be more fun, alcohol causes an emotional numbness in me that doesn't really let me connect.
08.05.2009 - 21:10
Kap'N Korrupt
Account deleted
Yeah being high at an Opeth concert would've been better
15.05.2009 - 05:52
bard
Well, I finally got around to listening to some of Opeth's material, and I'm most intrigued by their acoustic songs (I've only listened to Blackwater Park), or at least songs with dominant acoustic passages. Any suggestions?
----
15.05.2009 - 06:06
Zelse
If you like their acoustic stuff most, then get Damnation. That's their 'mellow' album, not brutality at all but it has some of their best songs, in my opinion. Really chill songs.
18.05.2009 - 23:15
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Staff
Written by bard on 15.05.2009 at 05:52

Well, I finally got around to listening to some of Opeth's material, and I'm most intrigued by their acoustic songs (I've only listened to Blackwater Park), or at least songs with dominant acoustic passages. Any suggestions?

Still Life. Probably the smoothest transitions into acoustic parts that I've noticed out of their discog.

But if your looking for entirely acoustic tranquil stuff then definitely Damnation, I think it sucks but its 100% acoustic mellow stuff with no death metal.
----
- George Carlin
26.05.2009 - 18:24
Abattoir
Staff
3-CD Box-set, which includes first three albums, will be released on July 13th. And the price will be 15£ (around 17?)...quite cheap if you ask me. Would be worth of buying.
26.05.2009 - 18:42
Elio
Red Nightmare
Written by Abattoir on 26.05.2009 at 18:24

3-CD Box-set, which includes first three albums, will be released on July 13th. And the price will be 15£ (around 17?)...quite cheap if you ask me. Would be worth of buying.

Totally agree, about 6 euros for an Opeth album is a good deal, they are all great.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
26.05.2009 - 20:26
MeloDeathViking
Written by Abattoir on 26.05.2009 at 18:24

If I did my conversions to US dollars right, that's a pretty good price. I got the Candlelight Years box set for about 25 online, don't know how I found it that cheap haha. It's the same thing you're talking about, but it was only released in Japan, which amazes me even more that I found it. Definitly a great deal, the only thing I don't like is that the booklet is all in Japanese hahaha.
----
26.05.2009 - 21:18
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I don't think I'll get it since I have all of the original albums anyway.
----

My Instagram
28.05.2009 - 04:07
MeloDeathViking
Wow, yeah, should have looked at their site first, now I feel dumb since they wrere talking about the Candlelight Years to begin with. That explains why they sounded so similar haha. O well, now I know for next time.
----