Metal Storm logo
Immortality

21.06.2006 - 00:10
Valentin B
Iconoclast
immortality is a double-edged blade.what do you think?would you like to live forever?or maybe have eternal youth?or you're happy this way?i for one would like to live a life which i would "progress" very slow.something like when i'm 200 years old i look like i'm 20,and so on...
21.06.2006 - 04:04
Daru Jericho
Immortality is something I have pondered for a while. Personally, I would not like to live forever, at least on this planet. I just think there would be too many let downs and it would get boring having explored most options and all. Even if you could stay young, the same applies. I'd be far more miserable than I am now. Although, it would be interesting to see what the world would be like if everything got destroyed.

As for eternal youth, it would be nice. Most people dislike growing old but still, the idea of living forever puts me off vastly.
----
Aborted Misanthropic Smurf Puppy On Acid.

21.06.2006 - 04:19
Soliloquy
immortality...depends. you can be immortal and live for ever. or you can make your name immortal, and have your name live for evermore.

i wont really like to live for ever because i am apathetic enough. for me to live for ever, would make me into a serious psychopath. the world would die around me. everything beautiful will die, yet i would remain. mountians, trees, even water would age, yet i would remain un touched. it would be areally sad and boring life...

now if i were invinsible. that would be cool! i would seriously do everything out there is to do. from climbing mount everest, to sky diving...without the chute! and sorts of other random stuff. and that way, i would die a natural death by age. i wont die in a car accident or cancer or stuff.
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
22.06.2006 - 03:20
Sulfur91
Account deleted
I don't want to be immortal. Living forever wouldn't be so good in my opinion. You'll get to travel the world until you're bored with every sight. But you can also get hurt so many times that you'll be all numb. Physically and mentaly. What if I get a disease? I'll have to suffer forever.
22.06.2006 - 05:46
Proud Autumn
Account deleted
To quote Anathema ("Deep" from Judgement):

"All our times will come
Searching oblivion
Leaving nothing but the memories of
All the things you give
They're all you'll leave behind
Within their mind"

I think that we are immortal as long as we are remembered, and others can look back on our lives and the things we did in a positive light. Being immortal isn't all about living forever. The concept also relates to the things about us that aren't our physical bodies. People can immortalize themselves through their actions, their opinions, their discoveries, their contributions to science and politics, or their art or their writing. They can be immortalized by their family and their friends. Our very presence is homage to our ancestors' immortality: after all, their blood lives on through us.

Just another way of looking at things.
22.06.2006 - 08:07
Ibanez07
Account deleted
Quite simply for me, I would want to be immortal, if my friends and family could too. After about the 2nd generation I think I would become too depressed. I need an anchor so to say.
26.06.2006 - 06:32
Sulfur91
Account deleted
Written by [user id=2031] on 22.06.2006 at 05:46

"All our times will come
Searching oblivion
All the things you give
Within their mind"

I think that we are immortal as long as we are remembered, and others can look back on our lives and the things we did in a positive light. Being immortal isn't all about living forever. The concept also relates to the things about us that aren't our physical bodies. People can immortalize themselves through their actions, their opinions, their discoveries, their contributions to science and politics, or their art or their writing. They can be immortalized by their family and their friends. Our very presence is homage to our ancestors' immortality: after all, their blood lives on through us.

Wow. That's very..deep? I don't know what to say.
26.06.2006 - 08:31
Clintagräm
Shrinebuilder
Written by [user id=14480] on 26.06.2006 at 06:32

"All our times will come
Searching oblivion
All the things you give
Within their mind"

Wow. That's very..deep? I don't know what to say.

Deep indeed, but who's to say immortality lies within these walls? That is, of this age. Immortality stretches countless aeons and beyond the infinite. Something that we can never comprehend. However, I am talking in much more of the literal sense. However, what you speak of is true to an extent.
----
The force will be with you, always.
26.06.2006 - 21:16
Sulfur91
Account deleted
Heh.. I wonder if we'll still be immortal if the universe shuts in on itself. Maybe there is another world besides our universe?
26.06.2006 - 21:43
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
I don't want to be immortal. I'll go when my time comes.

Imagine this, you are immortal. You're friends die. Your family dies. You are more and more becoming one of a kind. You want have immortal youth, so after a while your body will be so old and decayed you can barely walk, move. Then, after a few billion years, the sun will explode. What will you do? Ripped apart, burned, and without air (no ozonlayer) you will be forever dying, but alive. That would be fun.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.06.2006 - 22:47
Valentin B
Iconoclast
lol, i meant that the body would be forever young,and maybe,since you mentioned it,the possibility of "giving up",
27.06.2006 - 18:45
Sunioj
Are we immortal without knowing it? Is there another universe of the metaphysical after we die that has nothing to do with the proposed religions? Not wanting to be immortal is trick question because we dont know if there is a another life after this. Merely to die and be consumed be heterotrophs isn't what Iexpect out of this world that we have just begun to understand.
27.06.2006 - 20:29
Sulfur91
Account deleted
We'd get to live to see all the fun stuff happen to the world.

..If we could see.
27.06.2006 - 21:08
Sunioj
@Sulfur91,
Hmmm, thats interesting, and if we have immortality after death, would we still be able to lurk the earth and have still have our senses?
29.06.2006 - 22:07
Sulfur91
Account deleted
Written by Sunioj on 27.06.2006 at 21:08

@Sulfur91,
Hmmm, thats interesting, and if we have immortality after death, would we still be able to lurk the earth and have still have our senses?

Probably not. Maybe we'd just be spirits floating around or something.
29.06.2006 - 23:59
Warman
Erotic Stains
Imortal? Don't think so, what if like all the people just died one day and you were all alone forever or say you fell down a hole and no one would ever find you there. No immortality is nothing for me, but I would want to be immortal if I could decide for myself whenever I shall die.
----
30.06.2006 - 20:32
Sunioj
If I was a lurking spirit, than I think I would bring my hate list with me....and settle some scores...
04.07.2006 - 13:59
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Sunioj on 30.06.2006 at 20:32

If I was a lurking spirit, than I think I would bring my hate list with me....and settle some scores...

Haha, and then they would someday die and take their revenge on you.
And you would take revenge again, and they again.. what a mess that would be.
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
05.07.2006 - 21:49
Sulfur91
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 04.07.2006 at 13:59

Maybe they wouldn't know who killed them.
05.07.2006 - 22:00
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by [user id=14480] on 05.07.2006 at 21:49

Written by Lucas on 04.07.2006 at 13:59

Maybe they wouldn't know who killed them.

Possibility. If I'd become a ghost, I'd steal money and buy all the CD's I need. And more.
----

05.07.2006 - 22:09
Sulfur91
Account deleted
I'd go to concerts. ^_^
14.07.2006 - 20:50
Daibh
Account deleted

"All our times will come
Searching oblivion
All the things you give
Within their mind"

Testify!
15.07.2006 - 00:27
Lupas
Maximus
Queens song " Who wants to live forever "

And they are right.
Looking at this sick world , our life and many other sick things makes me to end this life. If some day there is a way to give imortality , i will be the last one or the one that don't have it for sure
----
"For what point has this life if you can't realise your dreams?" -- The Divine Comedy
26.07.2006 - 02:03
SurdEvil
Account deleted
It would depend on the circumstances....

I wouldn't like absolute immortality for the reasons Nervel mentioned earlier in the thread but if there was some way to halt the ageing process, while leaving the possibility of dying at some point available,then that can only be a good thing...IMO
26.07.2006 - 19:57
Simon
Account deleted
I think immortality would be great only if I had a lot of talent in different activities.
I don't know what the feeling would be like though.
Eternal youth sure sounds great in my mind.
27.07.2006 - 06:35
rebel4life
Account deleted
hellz yea i would want to live forever only if u had an option where u could decide if u want to stop living and kill urself
i would definately want to see how it all turns out in the end and stuff and experience all kinds of shit
and yea i would never want to grow old
27.07.2006 - 13:00
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Oh dude no I definately wanna die! Ok, that sounded strange.... Not like now, I'm not emo and I enjoy my life But dude live forever.... Hell no, cause then all the people that I care about and love will be dead and my life would be pointless. Immortality would just make me emo. I like the system I have now, that is to enjoy fully your high-school and college years, to maybe settle somewhere in 10 years, have a sucessful career, learn as much as possible and then when I do all that I want to acomplish in my life - die. I believe in reincarnation, so I don't fear death. The only thing that scares me if I think about death now is all the people that are close to me and that I'd never be able to look in their eyes again....
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
30.07.2006 - 04:57
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
I wouldn't like to live forever, life would become completely boring because if you would live forever, you would see all that the world has
About eternal youth, well, life is really interesting when we're young, but living forever in this same way would be boring too, in life you have to live different experiences, according to your age, if not, we don't change and that isn't the meaning of the life
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
04.08.2006 - 11:20
dark awakening
To live forever is not my desire, because sometimes life's suffering and pain. Living forever would be a great responsability, like an elf of Lord Of The Rings
----
Baptized in a lake of acid tears...
08.08.2006 - 05:05
Fimbulvetr
Account deleted
Live forever? Well i think not, maybe at what point you 'll understand just how tired you feel. It's not a bad idea but i wouldn't do it.