Metal Storm logo
Boris

21.06.2006 - 10:37
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Its rather hard to place Boris under one genre, but feel free to move this post where necessary.

"Japanese cult favourite sludge/doom rock trio Boris take their name from a song on grunge godfathers the Melvins' "Bullhead" album. They also have a lot in common with the Melvins musically, including a fondness for heavily down tuned guitar/bass tones and exceedingly slow tempos. But they also incorporate elements variously drawn from other sources, including psychedelic rock, punk, noise, minimalism, pure sludge-drone music à la Earth, and more. Also, despite the unpretentious psychedelic/stoner rock imagery that accompanies much of their work, there is an ambitiously experimental aspect to much of it. Their albums, for example, have tended to be massive conceptual projects: "Absolutego", is a feedback-heavy drone exploration consisting of a single 65 minute track; Also on the more experimental end of their discography are collaborations with Japanese avant-garde enigma Keiji Heino and power electronics/noise legend Merzbow.
Boris formed during the early 1990s and consists of guitarist Wata, bassist Takeshi, and drummer/vocalist Atsuo. They made their first recorded appearance on an obscure 1994 compilation entitled "Take Care of Scabbard Fish", released only in Japan and now out of print. "Absolutego", their full-length debut, came out in 1996 on the band's own Fangs Anal Satan imprint but was unavailable in the rest of the world. for years, a situation that was remedied by the Los Angeles-based Southern Lord label reissued the album in early 2001 along with a bonus track and new packaging. Their next album, "Amplifier Worship", came out on the Mangrove label in 1998 and was also unavailable in the rest of the world for several years; San Francisco's Man's Ruin had planned to reissue it in the Autumn of 2001, but the label folded before that could happen. In 2003 Southern Lord will be making this available, once again with new packaging. 1998 also saw the release of the Boris/Keiji Haino collaboration, a live disc entitled Black: Implication Flooding, which came out on Japan's Inoxia Records. In 1999, Boris issued a split CD with fellow Japanese band Choukoko No Niwa, "More Echoes, Touching Air Landscape", which also came out on Inoxia and featured Boris weighing in with a brief (for them) 28-minute contribution. Their third full-length album, "Flood", was released two years later on the MIDI Creative label. 2002 Boris brought us a killer, consciously more "ROCK" album: "Heavy Rocks" (featuring collaborations with: Lori/Acid King, Masonna, and Merzbow). Yet another unique release from this eclectic band."

Homepage: http://homepage1.nifty.com/boris/top.html
21.06.2006 - 10:38
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Rather large discography too:

"Split 10" w/Barebones EP, 1996
Absolutego Full-length, 1996
Split w/ Tomsk EP, 1997
Amplifier Worship Full-length, 1998
Keiji Haino with Boris - Black: Implication Flooding Live album, 1998
More Echoes, Touching Air Landscape - Split CD w/Choukoku No Niwa Split album, 1999
Flood Full-length, 2000
Boris With Merzbow - Megatone Full-length, 2002
Heavy Rocks Full-length, 2002
1970 EP, 2002
Split 7" w/The Dudley Corporation EP, 2003
Akuma No Uta Full-length, 2003
見殺し塔からずっと DVD, 2003
Feedbacker Full-length, 2003
The Thing Which Solomon Overlooked Full-length, 2004
Archive Boxed set, 2005
Bootleg -Feedbacker- DVD, 2005
A Bao a Qu Single, 2005
Boris With Merzbow - 04092001 Full-length, 2005
Boris With Merzbow - Sun Baked Snow Cave Full-length, 2005
dronevil Full-length, 2005
Wizard's Convention DVD, 2005
Sound Track from Film "Mabuta No Ura" Full-length, 2005
Boris Live Volume I: Live 96-98 Live album, 2005
Boris Live Volume II: drumless drone power ambient disc Live album, 2005
Boris Live Volume III: live 2001 two long songs Live album, 2005
Heavy Metal Me DVD, 2005
Pink Full-length, 2005
Sound Track from Film "Mabuta No Ura" (World Version) Full-length, 2005
The Thing Which Solomon Overlooked 2 Full-length, 2006
The Thing Which Solomon Overlooked 3
21.06.2006 - 12:27
Detric
King Of Twilight
The alternative forum would be a good place for Boris I think..
27.06.2006 - 05:31
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Flood is their best album, very dense and kind of corrosive album... it's very scary somehow.... I just cjecked their new album "Pink" and it's not very interesting though.
27.06.2006 - 12:58
Damnated
Churchburner
Sometimes I just can't stand the music that Boris makes, but there are times when I really enjoy them. Flood would be my fav album from them also.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
01.08.2006 - 14:49
Ba'al Peor
Account deleted
Flood is an insane album, so intense yet almost... stress relieving. What do you guys think of their album Feedbacker?
25.10.2006 - 09:19
Damnated
Churchburner
I'm starting to get addicted to Flood. do they have any similar albums?
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
25.10.2006 - 21:41
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Just getting started with this band. I'll start with Flood.
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
26.10.2006 - 04:25
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 25.10.2006 at 21:41

which is one of the BIG drone metal albums of all times
26.10.2006 - 15:44
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 26.10.2006 at 04:25

Let's see if I like it more than Sunn O))), which can't really hold my interest..
----

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
27.10.2006 - 02:31
Eddie
Retired Mod.
Elite
Moved it to the Alternative Forum as you probably already noticed
28.10.2006 - 01:42
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Lucas on 26.10.2006 at 15:44

Let's see if I like it more than Sunn O))), which can't really hold my interest..

I don't talk to people that don't like Sunn
28.10.2006 - 13:53
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Guest on 28.10.2006 at 01:42

Written by Lucas on 26.10.2006 at 15:44

I don't talk to people that don't like Sunn

Hehe, well, that's your mistake.

Damn, it seems my Soulseek is working against me. Boris - Flood is still not finished..
----

23.05.2007 - 21:20
Twilight
IntepridTraveler
Boris is very cool. I'm going to see them live soon!
Ticket for the show was very cheap so I thought 'why not?'.

I've listened to most of their stuff now. Pink, Feedbacker, Amplifier Worship and Akuma No Uta. The last one is quite cool I think.
And I think it's just very cool to see those 3 Japanese people play this kind of experimental metal.
28.09.2007 - 13:55
/ELVET (O)
Account deleted
Wonderfully diverse band that seem to make quality music regardless of the style they choose to play. Heavy Rocks is a personal favourite with it's groove but I also love their drone/noise stuff along with their Merzbow collaborations. I didn't enjoy Pink as much as some of the others. I found it a little too obvious in many ways and a little unchallenging.

As for Altar, I liked it initially but I don't think it's representative of the quality of both Sunn and Boris. The merging of the two lost something in the translation. Sinking Belle for instance, sounded rather like a poor man's attempt at Throbbing Gristle style jazz.
04.01.2009 - 17:24
Elio
Red Nightmare
This band doesn't deserve his thread to be so desolated
Just getting into them, listened to the album Worship Amplifier, which one do you recommend me?
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
29.12.2011 - 13:51
adace1
Can't believe how long it's been since this thread was updated. Awesome band. I've been listening to a lot of their stuff recently. Check out the three new albums they released this year if you haven't already.
01.01.2012 - 13:54
IronAngel
I found those albums underwhelming. Sure they had their moments, but overall they were just mediocre. But I like their drony post-rock albums most, anyhow. Flood is my favorite, and then probably Feedbacker.
01.01.2012 - 16:44
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 01.01.2012 at 13:54

I found those albums underwhelming. Sure they had their moments, but overall they were just mediocre. But I like their drony post-rock albums most, anyhow. Flood is my favorite, and then probably Feedbacker.

Flood is the fucking tits... I highly enjoy Amplifier Worship though. Crushing stuff.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.01.2012 - 19:41
Elio
Red Nightmare
Show some love for Heavy Rocks too, bitchez.

anyway, New Album left me like this :|
like, ok, this is A LOT different from everything they've previously done, and I can only admire a band for trying to evolve their sound one more time, but, i wasn't really ready for that, and many other people aswell, i guess. not even that bad, but i don't really feel like listening to it.
----
IntoPlighT said: "Slipknot is 15 years old how the fuck is that Nu metal?"

BEST. QUOTE. EVER.
01.01.2012 - 20:11
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
To be honest and brutal, Boris have really turned to crap in recent years. Some kind of hipster band if I'm to use a horrible turn of phrase, but it suits them well. They really need to get back to the stoner/sludge/drone/noise ways (though when Merzbow is involved they always seem to pull off something great).
03.01.2012 - 05:23
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I hate the name Boris.

the music, is alright but t'isn't my cup 'O tea.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS