Metal Storm logo
Manowar - Attempt To Break Guinness World Record

The concert of the legendary kings of metal, Manowar, on the opening night of Kaliakra Rock Festival 2008 in the Bulgarian "rock capital" of Kavarna on July 5 lasted for five hours and one minute. The performance was the metal band's attempt to break the world record for the longest heavy metal concert, which they themselves set in 2007 at last year's edition of the festival.

Joey DeMaio, Eric Adams, Karl Logan and Scott Columbus pleased a crowd of 20.000 people with a playlist of more than 40 songs, a selection reflecting the band's history and all its studio albums.

Тhis year, the self-annointed "kings of metal" had promised Bulgarian fans to beat last year's performance of three hours on stage, and had specially invited representatives of Guinness book of records to witness the unprecedented event.

Hundreds of fans of the legendary band have been waiting for their arrival at Kaliakra Stadium ever since 10am to pour inside in a frantic hurry to the stage after the gates were opened.

As was the case last year, the audience was warmed up by Holyhell, the power metal band produced by Joey DeMaio, performing tracks from their upcoming debut album and cover versions of classic hits by Aerosmith and Dio.

At 9.49pm, Manowar came out. The band began with classic hits from their earliest albums such as "Heavy Metal Daze", "Fast Taker", "Death Tone", "Dark Avenger", "Carry On", "Kings Of Metal" and many others.

"Bulgaria, we devote this concert to you," the informal leader and main songwriter of the legendary band, Joey DeMaio, said during the pauses between back-to-back hits. "Where it is written in Guinness' book of records about the longest heavy metal concert, it will be written that this was the concert of Manowar in Bulgaria," he said. The bassist added that Bulgaria was the place where people knew how to enjoy true heavy metal music.

At the peak of the concert, a classical string orchestra and a choir of the Sofia Philharmonics joined the musicians in performing some of their greatest hits, among which "Warriors Of The World", "Hail And Kill", and "Defender". In front of the Bulgarian audience, Manowar presented for the first time their new single, "Die With Horror".

With the concert approaching its end, Kavarna mayor Tsonko Tsonev, known as "the metal mayor", congratulated the group and thanked them for performing in his town. Manowar promised to return to Kavarna whenever they were invited.

As a sign of gratitude towards Bulgarian fans, the legendary band once again performed the Bulgarian anthem, continuing afterwards with a classical symphonic ballad, "The Crown And The Ring", under the sparks of fireworks.

When the last sounds of the song subsided, after four and a half hours of non-stop performance, Manowar announced that a new record had been set. Fans began to leave as lights illuminated Kaliakra stadium. However, the kings of metal returned for another thirty minutes to the surprise and delight of their admirers.

Source: sofiaecho.com
Band profile: Manowar
Posted: 07.07.2008 by Thryce

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 52   Visited by: 431 users
07.07.2008 - 18:28
Darkside Momo
Retired
Elite
legendary x3
kings of metal x3

Manowar as usual.
However, it's sure the feat is impressive.
----
My Author's Blog (in French)

"You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you"

"I've lost too many years now
I'm stealing back my soul
I am awake"
07.07.2008 - 18:47
xEUx
MANOWAR!!! =D
07.07.2008 - 19:35
Varegan
Hamranakara
the only band that i expect to perform such acts.
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
07.07.2008 - 19:47
juanopereira
I think this should be added to the epic rules of power metal XD
07.07.2008 - 20:20
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
awsoem, Slaven Bilic are metalhead and croatian football team coach in Bulgarai city major are metalhead
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
07.07.2008 - 20:43
DoomGuard
I wish they broke that record here in Texas...We down here in the Brutal South love Metal!!!
07.07.2008 - 21:27
iaberis
Advice Troll
----
Bitch! Please
07.07.2008 - 21:37
dancingdecember
man they are just full of it...
----
i'm super, thanks for asking
07.07.2008 - 22:58
Talvi
Biggest. Balls. Ever.
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
07.07.2008 - 23:05
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Manowar rules the earth and everything else around it.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
07.07.2008 - 23:09
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Talvi on 07.07.2008 at 22:58

Biggest. Balls. Ever.

thats pretty much the only way to put it...a 40 song set list is unimaginable to me.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
07.07.2008 - 23:13
Slyfang
sounds like they're compensating for some insufficiencies
07.07.2008 - 23:39
-Soulreaper-
Wow, that is pretty awesome. Only Manowar could pull off an act like that. So they are the loudest and longest playing band in the world now I guess.
07.07.2008 - 23:40
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
as far as loud goes, they still have nothing on Disaster Area.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
07.07.2008 - 23:53
Warman
Erotic Stains
Too bad that a good band doesn't do it here in Stockholm.
----
07.07.2008 - 23:58
wrathchild
Staff
I know what kind of jokes will succeed the now famous Chuck Norris jokes
----
La belleza no reside en lo que puedas crear, sino en lo que eres capaz de transmitir
Beauty resides not in what you're able to create, but in what you're able to communicate

Txus, Mägo De Oz
08.07.2008 - 00:29
Snbn
Actually they played 46 songs. xD
08.07.2008 - 00:52
Hugoj33
Great!
Manowar = 1000
08.07.2008 - 01:43
Why? After Joey fucked around with Rhapsody they already got the world record for being the most up themselves band in the world. Why another record? Oh wait, answered my own question..
08.07.2008 - 01:57
Muhannad Saleh
www.jorzine.com
what can i say?!! they are ManOwaR ..
08.07.2008 - 03:04
AnarChrist
I hope the nest news concerning Manowar in this site is something like that:
Manowar - Attempt To Write A Non-Cheesy Record

and i hope next year they play over nine thoouuuusaaaaannnnd songs :O
----
oh my fucking god, fucking dinosaurs
08.07.2008 - 03:24
Pulvercity
I've been awaiting the day Manowar tried to pull something like this....and they've finally tried.
The condoms hadn't really come as a shock, either.
I think they have officially almost done it all.

I send out 50 kudos and +9 for Manowar, haha.
----
Our fortress is burning against the grain of the shattered sky...
08.07.2008 - 04:46
selken
Irreligious
4 hours of Manowar!!!!!!

I cannot listen more than an album from a band on a day, otherwise I get bored xD

xD
----
08.07.2008 - 05:30
FOOCK Nam
very satisfied for fans
08.07.2008 - 07:24
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
holy crap. how can one play a show for 5 hours? That's tough I have to say. 5 HOURS... Man... Big fans of their will indeed be so freaking happy.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
08.07.2008 - 09:14
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
I gotta respect a band that'll play for 5 hours straight. Too bad I'm not much of a Manowar fan...
08.07.2008 - 09:56
Valentin B
Iconoclast
5 hours... now that's a lot. i wouldn't even stand till the end of the show lol.
08.07.2008 - 14:13
Bas
Retired Staff
Elite
well, as we all know they are one of the most ridiculous bands ever and the news article even begins with "the legendary kings of metal" to prove it, next to that i've never been a fan of their music

but all of that aside, this feat alone does deserve a huge amount of respect

after all the harsh things that can, or rather must, be said about them, you also have to give them that they sure do have the balls to pull off such things
----
BAS - Beautifully Accented Sexiness
08.07.2008 - 14:31
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
now thats an epic concert...
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
08.07.2008 - 15:25
Judas
The Amputator
Fuck me dead, this would have been one hell of a show to attend. Even critics of Manowar have to admire the fact that they can perform for 5 hours straight, considering how much live shows take it out of you.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."

Hits total: 7502 | This month: 11