Metal Storm logo
Napalm Death

Original post

Posted by Account deleted, 24.06.2006 - 07:45

Napalm Death is an english death metal band formed by Nicholas Bullen and Miles Ratledge...they are generally acknowledged to have been the first band to invent the grindcore genre...fortunately, the band progressed from these beginnings after their first two albums and became a death metal band...Napalm Death was originally called Civil Defence and started in 1982...well, information about the background of the band during this period is very rare and scarce, since they did little recording...the history of the band is one of constant member rotation, and by the second side of their debut album Scum, they didnt count with any original members...and although no member of the original line-up is playing in the band these days, they haven't cut down on their ferocity...their ceaseless worldwide touring helped them gaining technical perfection and thus the ability to refine their sound...their songs continued to be inalterable monuments of fury...hmm...specially the latest releases...showing us their dedication to sheer brutality...well, in my opinion a strong line-up, and the knowledege that the right people are doing the right job assures us that as long as Napalm lives, extreme music is in good hands...so cheesy! I know...

17.12.2006 - 12:47
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
Written by Dangerboner on 17.12.2006 at 05:16

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.12.2006 at 05:10

Written by Dangerboner on 17.12.2006 at 05:03

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 17.12.2006 at 04:41

Written by spirit_inblack on 17.12.2006 at 04:34

The new album kicks major ass, as did The Code is Red, but the best of ND was From Enslavement To Obliteration. I love Barney's vocals they are so damn brutal and the drummer is very underrated. Not the best grind band but they are the creators of the genre so...

I only truly like Scum and From Enslavement... cause after that Napalm Death turned into a a normal run-of-the-mill a-dime-a-dozen death metal band. At least with their first two albums they were still an original band.

Smear Campaign is definitely a grindcore album....you don't like it?

I think all of the albums that were released by them between now and From Enslavement are grindcore, but just toned down a bit. They for sure aren't 100% death metal and I think the punk influences still show in their middle era, even if they aren't as prevalent as they are in Scum, Enslavement, and Smear Campaign.

I agree with you that Smear Campaign is 100% grindcore, The Code is red is just a bit grindcore, Leaders but not Followers I am leaving out of the equation since the ep and the pt 2 are just covers albums. But lemme see... Harmony Corruption has some slight grindcore influences but EVERYTHING after Harmony Corruption is 100% pure unadultered death metal, albeit the english variety and not the us, but death metal nonetheless. I don't hear any punk(grind, whatever you wanna call it) in those albums whatsoever. I can udnerstand people liking even the death metal era Napalm Death, but please, please don't say it is grindcore cause it is just pure death metal. But IMO a very bland sort of death metal. And it's not surprising that napalm death weren't as popular during that period as they were during their first two/three albums and also more or less now.

What about Enemy of the Music Business? I definitely hear punk in that album, even though it's kinda slower grind (oxymoron?), which kinda makes me sad.

Hey...about the grindcore and stuff... the first 2 were grindcore...i might say old school grind...
As for the rest...well...Harmony Corruption...is death metal with external influences...and i will agree with Ozman...it is british death metal...
The following album: Utopia Banished....is definitly death metal...may i say pure death ... whatever
And since then till Word from the exit wound their death metal sounds remains pretty much death metal...
With the comming of Enemy Of The Music Business they start to have other influences...maybe hardcore/punk...maybe slight grindcore (...shoot me if i am wrong...) and since then they evolved and became more grind than death... thats how i see the stuff...
18.12.2006 - 00:39
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
I don't think they were ever pure death metal, but at times they definitely leaned more towards death. I just think that the riffs still had some slight punk in them, even though it was very toned down. They still had the occasional groove in them, and the drums aren't deathy enough to me. I don't listen to a lot of mid-era Napalm Death so I could be wrong, but that's how I see it right now.
18.12.2006 - 00:51
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Dangerboner on 18.12.2006 at 00:39

I don't think they were ever pure death metal, but at times they definitely leaned more towards death. I just think that the riffs still had some slight punk in them, even though it was very toned down. They still had the occasional groove in them, and the drums aren't deathy enough to me. I don't listen to a lot of mid-era Napalm Death so I could be wrong, but that's how I see it right now.

Okay, just had to check your profile to see what sort of death metal you're into... cause reading over this post I would say it is the modern variety. Yep, and I wasn't mistaken. Napalm Death's death metal is more like the good old school death metal around which had much more groove than all of the modern varieties combined (which usually only try to go for technicality for technicalities sake and brutality) Modern death bands have forgotten how to groove. And also the durmming in old school death metal is way different to the modern variety, nowadays every drummer just tries to show off whereas in the olden days the drummers tried to keep it simple in order to get the death to groove much more.
You might think that I hate modern death when you read this post, but that is not the case I quite enjoy quite a few bands but they don't stand out as much as the older ones where every single band had their own definitive sound.
all IMO of course. Or else people start whining again.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.12.2006 - 00:58
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.12.2006 at 00:51

Okay, just had to check your profile to see what sort of death metal you're into... cause reading over this post I would say it is the modern variety. Yep, and I wasn't mistaken. Napalm Death's death metal is more like the good old school death metal around which had much more groove than all of the modern varieties combined (which usually only try to go for technicality for technicalities sake and brutality) Modern death bands have forgotten how to groove. And also the durmming in old school death metal is way different to the modern variety, nowadays every drummer just tries to show off whereas in the olden days the drummers tried to keep it simple in order to get the death to groove much more.
You might think that I hate modern death when you read this post, but that is not the case I quite enjoy quite a few bands but they don't stand out as much as the older ones where every single band had their own definitive sound.

hmmm...I think you might be right here because now that I think about it, Entombed, Dismember, Death Breath, and other bands like those do match your description. It's just nice to have a legitimate conversation in a thread for once...you know cuz most people just post shit like "Napalm Death rock!" or "Napalm Death is the best band eveeeerrrr!"
18.12.2006 - 01:00
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted

I don't listen to a lot of mid-era Napalm Death so I could be wrong, but that's how I see it right now.

Maybe thats right...you may be wrong...but what does it matter... ? "the second song from the 5th album presents a slight punkish attitude in the drumming style in the 3:29 min "...THIS IS OUR DISCUTION...
18.12.2006 - 05:53
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Napalm Death had ALWAYS been closer to hardcore punk than anything else, some metal riffs or death metal growling don't make them closer to metal... just listen to the old harcore masters Discharge or Amebix, those are the roots of Napalm Death and they had never betrayed them.
18.12.2006 - 13:21
ErabatukII
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.12.2006 at 00:51

This mans opinion is fully correct. Old style death metal is so different from modern death metal, that I'm inclined to think of them as different genres. I'd go far as to say modern death metal as a whole flat out stinks. There is no attempt to make genuine music, but only show off bullshit to showcase one's skills. Fuck that. I'm not completely bias against technical metal at all. There are bands that got it right. (Atheist, Cynic, Nocturnus, Sadus, Watchtower) But when it's 100% tech and no feel or nuance, then bugger off. Oh my. You are brutal. Wow. That can easily be achieved by pure sound via pedals and amps. Wow again. Try writing actual decent music. In the end, IT'S THE RIFFS THAT COUNT. And too many bands have either forgotten that, or never fucking learnt it in the first place. Bah humbug.

EDIT: btw, Napalm Death...RULE HARD.
----
18.12.2006 - 23:18
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 18.12.2006 at 05:53

Napalm Death had ALWAYS been closer to hardcore punk than anything else, some metal riffs or death metal growling don't make them closer to metal... just listen to the old harcore masters Discharge or Amebix, those are the roots of Napalm Death and they had never betrayed them.

Of come on...be serious...OF COURSE DISCHARGE are their roots amoung others...but listen to the whole fuckin' albums...see the difference between "the first greenway albums" and their later albums...
Hardcore punk is not exactly their closest influence on Utopia Banished...listen to it...of course it has some hc/ punk influence but their main influence on that album is not hardcore, but more death metal...
I hope you will understand something from what i said here cuz' i sure don't ) ... but then again you may be right...like all metalstormers wan't to think they are...
18.12.2006 - 23:47
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
I saw these guys on Saturday night and they were fuckin' awsome!

Written by Guest on 18.12.2006 at 23:18

Written by Guest on 18.12.2006 at 05:53

Of come on...be serious...OF COURSE DISCHARGE are their roots amoung others...but listen to the whole fuckin' albums...see the difference between "the first greenway albums" and their later albums...
Hardcore punk is not exactly their closest influence on Utopia Banished...listen to it...of course it has some hc/ punk influence but their main influence on that album is not hardcore, but more death metal...
I hope you will understand something from what i said here cuz' i sure don't ) ... but then again you may be right...like all metalstormers wan't to think they are...

Exactly, calling Napalm Death any form of punk is Blasphemy. In their earlier stuff they had a similar sound of all the Death metal bands at that time, and trust me, they were NOT punk. Of course I stand by with not considering them death metal, they weren't all death metal, but a good portion was. They also had a sound of Hardcore music (back when it was atleast tolerable) which led them into Grindcore. Of course nowadays they're mostly Death metal. The point is, Punk is in no way affiliated with ND's music.
19.12.2006 - 01:00
Southern Wind
Account deleted
it's exactly in their old times when they were a hardcore punk band... actually, with their first demos they were STRAIGHT punk (just listen to Hatred Surge or Punk Is A Rotten Corpse)... what happens is that most metalheads don't have a fucking idea about what real hardcore punk is... it's more aggressive anything ever written in metal... I had even heard people saying that my chemical romance is hardcore... come on!

And I certainly agree with Grind_Bastard when he says that when Greenway arrived death metal also did, but although there can be metal riffs and a closer to death metal voice, it still "sounds" punk, the attitude is punk, the lyrics are punk...

Unfortunately, if we begin a technical discussion about genres, I will lose, because I'm not a musician and I actually don't understand the guitar style of metal or punk, but I still "feel" the genres, and I feel Napalm Death much punker than metal... I don't know, I can be technically wrong, but even if you give thrasher riffs to britney spears and make her scream, she won't be thrash yet...
19.12.2006 - 01:28
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Napalm Death evolved from Punk and Hardcore - they just continued to push the envelope faster and faster, harder and harsher. THEY would tell you that. Pick up a copy of "Choosing Death" if you don't believe me.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
19.12.2006 - 05:03
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.12.2006 at 01:00

it's exactly in their old times when they were a hardcore punk band... actually, with their first demos they were STRAIGHT punk (just listen to Hatred Surge or Punk Is A Rotten Corpse)... what happens is that most metalheads don't have a fucking idea about what real hardcore punk is... it's more aggressive anything ever written in metal... I had even heard people saying that my chemical romance is hardcore... come on!

And I certainly agree with Grind_Bastard when he says that when Greenway arrived death metal also did, but although there can be metal riffs and a closer to death metal voice, it still "sounds" punk, the attitude is punk, the lyrics are punk...

Unfortunately, if we begin a technical discussion about genres, I will lose, because I'm not a musician and I actually don't understand the guitar style of metal or punk, but I still "feel" the genres, and I feel Napalm Death much punker than metal... I don't know, I can be technically wrong, but even if you give thrasher riffs to britney spears and make her scream, she won't be thrash yet...

So with the Brittney Spears analogy, your making it seem like its based out of what they look like...so why doesn't napalm death have a bunch of faggy mohawks? I mean they are hardcore punk right?
19.12.2006 - 07:48
Southern Wind
Account deleted
that has absolutely NOTHING to do with hat I said
19.12.2006 - 18:10
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted

Well they do have that punk attitude...as others british bands do...but that attitude is not allway reflected in their musical style...
19.12.2006 - 18:23
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.12.2006 at 05:03

...so why doesn't napalm death have a bunch of faggy mohawks? I mean they are hardcore punk right?

First...what do you have against mohawks ? Second...do you suport the so called "uniform" ?? ... if they look how they look is because they don't give a shit about uniform and they do not stick to one genre...
Third...do you ask if they are Hardcore punk ?? Am i having difficulites at seeing stuff ?? At an earlyer post you said they are death...now you ask...come on...make up your mind... do you know if they are death or you are uncertain...and the answer to your question is: they are NOT hc / P
19.12.2006 - 20:03
Southern Wind
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.12.2006 at 18:10

Well they do have that punk attitude...as others british bands do...but that attitude is not allway reflected in their musical style...

Well, musicaly, I see that Napalm Death strongly re-took the punk in The Code Is Red... as I said before, though, it's a personal vision without tecnical arguments, just what I hear.
19.12.2006 - 21:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Elite
Written by Guest on 19.12.2006 at 20:03

Written by Guest on 19.12.2006 at 18:10

Well, musicaly, I see that Napalm Death strongly re-took the punk in The Code Is Red... as I said before, though, it's a personal vision without tecnical arguments, just what I hear.

Well I do agree that they more or less re-took the punk on The Code Is Red and nowadays Smear campaign as well of course...
BUT on albums such as Utopia Banished, Diatribes, Fear, Emptiness, Despair, Harmony Corruption the play purely death metal, although their lyrics are more politically conscious, but lyrics do not define a genre as we all know.
So to me Napalm Death is a band with two faces... grindcore on the first two albums and the latest two (more or less) and pure death metal on the ones in between (I am excluding the covers albums of course)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.12.2006 - 00:18
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 19.12.2006 at 07:48

Exactly, all it needed to state was that ND is and never was punk, maybe a little hardcore at one point though.
20.12.2006 - 00:42
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.12.2006 at 00:18

Written by Guest on 19.12.2006 at 07:48

Exactly, all it needed to state was that ND is and never was punk, maybe a little hardcore at one point though.

Yeah...they were hardcore...on the demos...back when barney was still in his school learning his ABC's... ( anyway just joking ) ... they were a mixture of harcore and punk but became grind with their first album...
24.12.2006 - 23:23
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
Scum was pretty damn good but had nothing on Harmony corruption.
25.12.2006 - 12:57
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
What do you mean by that ?
26.12.2006 - 19:23
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
Im sayin Harmony corruption was better but Scum was still a badass album.
26.12.2006 - 22:38
Grind_Bastard
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.12.2006 at 19:23

Well yes...i also think Harmony Corruption is better Scum...and i like From Enslavement To Obliteration more than Scum also...But still i can say Scum is one of my favorite grindcore albums ...
26.12.2006 - 22:48
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Someone has hear last 3 albums
My freind say thay be her ein Rīga in next year, and I thinking if its usefull spend money to them, because I doubt in nowdas thay can criate something good
I like first 3 albums, but I had hera one song if 2005 and I didnt like it so much
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
29.12.2006 - 22:22
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.12.2006 at 22:38

Written by Guest on 26.12.2006 at 19:23

Well yes...i also think Harmony Corruption is better Scum...and i like From Enslavement To Obliteration more than Scum also...But still i can say Scum is one of my favorite grindcore albums ...

I gotcha
24.01.2007 - 16:31
Richiedude
Here are some live videos we did in Allentown PA during the Monsters of Mayhem tour:

http://uvtv.info/napalmdeath.php
25.01.2007 - 18:08
DOOM
Account deleted
Most certainly they started out in punk, they grew in the middle of Thatchers England, the birth place of the underground punk scene. Thats were they began there live performances, in-and around the punk scene and it varieties. The early 'Frost influences were there. I remember seeing a live recording of 'Scum' back in 1987. I've never seen any band have a crowd do what Napalm Death did to a crowd.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R0BhREp97rE

26.01.2007 - 02:38
Stuff1056
Account deleted
Written by Richiedude on 24.01.2007 at 16:31

Here are some live videos we did in Allentown PA during the Monsters of Mayhem tour:

http://uvtv.info/napalmdeath.php

Good find.:banger2:
26.01.2007 - 04:05
bucky01403
Account deleted
The Code is Red is an awesome album. Unfortunatly its the only one I own, but definatly plan on getting more, suggestions?
27.01.2007 - 05:55
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 26.01.2007 at 04:05

The Code is Red is an awesome album. Unfortunatly its the only one I own, but definatly plan on getting more, suggestions?

Harmony Corruption, Smear Campaign, Enemy of the Music business, Scum, Diatribes,