Metal Storm logo
What makes you listen to black metal?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 24.06.2006 - 23:58
Hey, I'm curious to know what makes you people listen to black metal? how did you started listening to it?
1st black metal song you listened? Is there any band that as finished that you wish them to come back?
What do you think about the future of black metal?

I love all in black metal, the ideas, the atmosphere, the vocals, drums etc... I started listening to black metal when a friend of mine gave me gorgoroth - pentagram to listen. I loved it and i went right over to a store here and bought the album, since then I have bought many Black metal albums from bands like immortal, nokturnal mortum, darkthrone, carpathian forest and many more. the 1st song i listened was "under the pagan megalith" (awsome track from pentagram).
I am really excited about the idea of immortal re-union, they are one of my favorite bands, I love all their albums (but specialy pure holocaust )
About the future, i think the good bands will always remain but new bands are needed and i don't see excelent new bands.
Here in Portugal we have bands like Lux Ferre, In Thy Flesh, Opus Draconis, Corpus Christii and more, in my opinion they are great but they don't have support to go on and this is happening all over the world.

Please post your opinions and stories

Cheers!
29.08.2007 - 13:16
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=17838] on 28.08.2007 at 19:49

I will admit though bland satanic black metal bands can get really anoying and repetitive.

basically you are saying that if a band plays shit black metal, but has decent (non satanic) lyrics the music can be considered good, but as soon as they start using satanic lyrics and imagery their music turns bad and annoying? even if the music is good, you think it's bad because they are "satanic"?

just how many real satanic bands have you heard? and i'm not talking about bands that use 34 times 'satan' in a lyric.
and another thing. black metal is repetitive. it's all about the repetition of a few chords and drum beats. i'm surprised that you didn't realize this already.
----
Blessed is he that murders Christ in himself and in his fellow men.

Written by TheBigRossowski on 10.02.2009 at 16:01

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
29.08.2007 - 16:00
Judas
The Amputator
Well, today I bought a pair of BM albums (Emperor - Emperor/Wrath of the Tyrant and Melechesh - Emissaries), obviously because I'm in a BM mood. Why? Well, there was a lunar eclipse last night, and a blood moon was high in the night sky... It's not exactly rocket science. Oh, and tonight is a full moon too. Aside from that, of late my tastes have been mostly due to what's been around me. I had been listening to a lot of Death Metal, because the new Behemoth led me to that direction, but now I'm back into Black Metal because of the weather, funnily enough.
----
"Once the game is over, the king and the pawn both go back into the same box."
30.08.2007 - 01:20
iuda
Account deleted
Black Metal represents power. It's evil, above any other metal genre out there. I am very impressed by their very fast guitar playing, full respect from me for this part. Oh well, that's because i can hardly get such a speed when playing. Practice makes perfect though.

@Judas Remark: Though in different languages, we've got the same nickname.
30.08.2007 - 01:48
kheopsys
Account deleted
Written by [user id=581] on 24.06.2006 at 23:58

Hey, I'm curious to know what makes you people listen to black metal? how did you started listening to it?

nostalgia, nothing more, nothing less...

1st black metal song you listened? Is there any band that as finished that you wish them to come back?

first song: Grimm and Frostbitten Kingdoms by Immortal
band to come back: none actually...I don't really believe that BM has a future anymore and a comeback would overshadow the BM feeling of the '90.

What do you think about the future of black metal?

BM has totally changed compared to its early years and it will propably keep changing to prevent it from boring its fans. There are allot of great BM bands, today I prefer the more unknown BM bands to listen to.
31.08.2007 - 15:22
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 29.08.2007 at 13:16

I will admit though bland satanic black metal bands can get really anoying and repetitive.

basically you are saying that if a band plays shit black metal, but has decent (non satanic) lyrics the music can be considered good, but as soon as they start using satanic lyrics and imagery their music turns bad and annoying? even if the music is good, you think it's bad because they are "satanic"?

just how many real satanic bands have you heard? and i'm not talking about bands that use 34 times 'satan' in a lyric.
and another thing. black metal is repetitive. it's all about the repetition of a few chords and drum beats. I'm surprised that you didn't realize this already.

Before even more criticism takes places maybe I should go more in depth. I was only meaning the ones that have all the same closely related names and almost sound exactly the same yet tend to be satanic black metal bands. I own and greatly enjoy Urgehal's latest album and even before the music starts they say, "this is satanic black metal!" so apparent idiots like me are aware. Since this isn't enough information for you to write another 2 paragraphs of bitchery I'll just have to list bands that my original post was targeting. EX: Goat Terrorism, Goat Ritual, Goat Desecration, and countless others.
31.08.2007 - 19:19
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=17838] on 31.08.2007 at 15:22

and another thing. black metal is repetitive. it's all about the repetition of a few chords and drum beats. I'm surprised that you didn't realize this already.

Before even more criticism takes places maybe I should go more in depth. I was only meaning the ones that have all the same closely related names and almost sound exactly the same yet tend to be satanic black metal bands. I own and greatly enjoy Urgehal's latest album and even before the music starts they say, "this is satanic black metal!" so apparent idiots like me are aware. Since this isn't enough information for you to write another 2 paragraphs of bitchery I'll just have to list bands that my original post was targeting. EX: Goat Terrorism, Goat Ritual, Goat Desecration, and countless others.

I got so pissed because, what you call "satanic black metal" is basicly a bunch of posers making crap and calling it black metal. Real satanic black metal is orthodox black metal, and bands who play this kind of music are of high caliber. If you're ineterested in some real religious music, i can recommend some good bands.
----

if my wife and I can't conceive, I want a medical shipment of your sperm so our baby will be just like you.
31.08.2007 - 23:30
kheopsys
Account deleted
Satanism and satanism are both religious, however not specific to black metal. Both exist throughout a very large portion of the heavy-metal scène. Its a good thing you say 'satanic black metal' because black metal is not supposed be Satanic or satanic in any way, anti-religious maybe in its roots, however not always correct. Death metal was anti-religious, black metal responded by trying to reconstruct that.
01.09.2007 - 01:24
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=25567] on 31.08.2007 at 23:30

Satanism and satanism are both religious, however not specific to black metal. Both exist throughout a very large portion of the heavy-metal scène. Its a good thing you say 'satanic black metal' because black metal is not supposed be Satanic or satanic in any way, anti-religious maybe in its roots, however not always correct. Death metal was anti-religious, black metal responded by trying to reconstruct that.

I agree metal shood not be satanistic, its idiotic sterio type of society metal=satanism, moust of ppl who once hera Ironm Maiden, Kiss and, nothing dont know about satanistic bands and BM scene underground,
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.09.2007 - 02:52
Damnated
Churchburner

black metal must be anti-religious. not only in it's roots, but in every note and every word; black metal is about oposing religion. that's why, for instance, to me religious satanism in black metal is a joke.
----

01.09.2007 - 03:07
kheopsys
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 01.09.2007 at 02:52

black metal must be anti-religious. not only in it's roots, but in every note and every word; black metal is about oposing religion. that's why, for instance, to me religious satanism in black metal is a joke.

good thing you said that last thing. allot of modern and modern day black metal bands sell-out satanism in the meaning of devil-worshipping...thats the kind of black metal that is a joke.
01.09.2007 - 11:12
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=25567] on 01.09.2007 at 03:07

good thing you said that last thing. allot of modern and modern day black metal bands sell-out satanism in the meaning of devil-worshipping...thats the kind of black metal that is a joke.

the lyrical theme is a joke. the bands, however, are not. orthodox black metal is the best thing that could have happened to he genre imo.
----

01.09.2007 - 13:22
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
If we talking about jokes, some BM metal bands realy are jokes, one demo bands who has disapeard aftyer sold them
----

apos;'
[image]
02.09.2007 - 09:13
juliocb
I like black metal for its might, its darkness and its epicness
----
http://www.ballade.no/nmi.nsf/pic/carpatian_forest_01/$file/carpatian_forest_01.jpg
02.09.2007 - 15:41
kheopsys
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 01.09.2007 at 01:24

I agree metal shood not be satanistic, its idiotic sterio type of society metal=satanism, moust of ppl who once hera Ironm Maiden, Kiss and, nothing dont know about satanistic bands and BM scene underground,

The problem is, the music industry wants them to be satanic in any way possible, they are the only ones responsible of raping the BM genre, I don't blame the bands. The same thing happened to the gothic scene.
02.09.2007 - 17:48
Putrid_Cadaver
Account deleted
Written by Damnated on 31.08.2007 at 19:19

Written by [user id=17838] on 31.08.2007 at 15:22

I got so pissed because, what you call "satanic black metal" is basicly a bunch of posers making crap and calling it black metal. Real satanic black metal is orthodox black metal, and bands who play this kind of music are of high caliber. If you're ineterested in some real religious music, i can recommend some good bands.

Yeah, thats understandable. I know my fair share of what I'd guess is satanic black metal, like Ravencult, and other bands that I cant think of now because being extremely tired has its downside. Yeah throw some at me, I may know of them and not relize their satanic or some other misunderstandings.
02.09.2007 - 18:37
Sunioj

I guess all black metal bands should listen to you and stop churning out satanic lyrics eh? Seriously who cares if some dumbasses base all their lyrics on a 'theme'? When Im listening to metal, Im not looking to be comforted with a bands ideology or to be influenced a bands message, I expect ball ripping, yet beautiful, and manic sounding music. Its aesthetic...
02.09.2007 - 19:47
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
1)netal lables I agree look early BM album covers and nowdays its in all metal, its evil only seems doom metal dont cganging true years, but also ban can not accept all crap what companies wanna so, whit out band dont hepen nothingng

2)lyrics well I agree but I dont lsiten so much of those bands thay all are simmilar
----

apos;'
[image]
03.09.2007 - 12:36
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by [user id=25567] on 02.09.2007 at 15:41

The problem is, the music industry wants them to be satanic in any way possible, they are the only ones responsible of raping the BM genre, I don't blame the bands. The same thing happened to the gothic scene.

i don't think so. there are a large portion of metal bands that don't use satanic/occult imagery or lyrics.

and that the labels force the bands to be satanic, well that's stupid. it's the other way around. satanic labels, like Norma Evanghelium Diaboli, appeared BECAUSE there were bands who played satanic black metal.

@K7 just how many satanic bands have you heard? you say they all sound the same. well, how do you know that, if you "dont lsiten so much of those bands" ?
----

04.09.2007 - 00:45
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Samated - Go in MA look ewery Brazilian BM band and you will understand.
----

apos;'
[image]
04.09.2007 - 02:58
Unleash
Account deleted
Black Metal himm i dont like its just a show...
04.09.2007 - 13:33
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=25632] on 04.09.2007 at 02:58

Black Metal himm i dont like its just a show...

Show ?man glam, power, modern gothic are show, and 80ties hair metal, but not black
----

apos;'
[image]
04.09.2007 - 13:55
Damnated
Churchburner
Written by Bad English on 04.09.2007 at 00:45

@Samated - Go in MA look ewery Brazilian BM band and you will understand.

Damnated, man, my user name's D-A-M-N-A-T-E-D.

And apparently you don't know what you are talking about. These bands do not play "satanic black metal". They use lyrics in which they say "hail satan" and the likes, but this isn't enough for a band to be satanic. Lyrics do not define sub genre, or whatever you'd like to calll orthodox bm .

If you don't want to check out the bands that are truly satanic, then please stop talking about them.
----

04.09.2007 - 14:01
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
@Damnated - Sorry for spelling
But those lyrics are boring, stupid, cheep, simmilar and I had discuss about such thinks previusly and I dont wanna go beck
----

apos;'
[image]
04.09.2007 - 14:07
Damnated
Churchburner
Yes, the lyrics are boring and cheap, but these bands have nothing to do with the orthodox scene.
----

22.09.2007 - 09:12
HOLOCAUST
Account deleted
Written by juliocb on 02.09.2007 at 09:13

22.09.2007 - 16:56
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=25942] on 22.09.2007 at 09:12

Written by juliocb on 02.09.2007 at 09:13

Where are your post?
----

apos;'
[image]
26.09.2007 - 21:28
Olli
I listen to black metal because of the way it can change how i feel very easily, it's powerful. It's also a very different form of music.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
27.09.2007 - 04:47
Mad Laughter
Account deleted
I listen to Burzum because it's good bedtime music. I always fall asleep while listening to Filosofem.
27.09.2007 - 10:12
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=26018] on 27.09.2007 at 04:47

I listen to Burzum because it's good bedtime music. I always fall asleep while listening to Filosofem.

Hahahahh I always wake up of Burzum not fall assleep
----

apos;'
[image]
27.09.2007 - 15:17
Warman
Erotic Stains
Nono, I know what Mad Laughter means. Varg's music is extreme, but at the same time very relaxing and atmospheric. I can also fall asleep quite easy while listening to him.
----