Metal Storm logo
What makes you listen to black metal?

Original post

Posted by Unknown user, 24.06.2006 - 23:58
Hey, I'm curious to know what makes you people listen to black metal? how did you started listening to it?
1st black metal song you listened? Is there any band that as finished that you wish them to come back?
What do you think about the future of black metal?

I love all in black metal, the ideas, the atmosphere, the vocals, drums etc... I started listening to black metal when a friend of mine gave me gorgoroth - pentagram to listen. I loved it and i went right over to a store here and bought the album, since then I have bought many Black metal albums from bands like immortal, nokturnal mortum, darkthrone, carpathian forest and many more. the 1st song i listened was "under the pagan megalith" (awsome track from pentagram).
I am really excited about the idea of immortal re-union, they are one of my favorite bands, I love all their albums (but specialy pure holocaust )
About the future, i think the good bands will always remain but new bands are needed and i don't see excelent new bands.
Here in Portugal we have bands like Lux Ferre, In Thy Flesh, Opus Draconis, Corpus Christii and more, in my opinion they are great but they don't have support to go on and this is happening all over the world.

Please post your opinions and stories

Cheers!
06.07.2006 - 00:56
Niflhel
Account deleted
Acid, as in drugs

nobody is saying that all bm bands are nazi
but YOU said that MOST are

ok i'm so done with this
06.07.2006 - 01:00
GrimFilth
Account deleted
i really dont give a shit if its BM or NSBM what im listening.

it's never good whatever BM bands make, we're the most annoying target group i guess.
if the new BM sounds like the old BM, (like burzum) we find it unoriginal
if the new BM is completely different because the band is experimental, we get angry and say it isnt BM.

I think the base rule of what is real black metal, is the ideology. the BM available nowaday's is so diverse, i think we should think of new genres within the genre of BM... like Death-BM, Trash-BM, Doom-BM, Punk-BM and maybe Pop-BM. black metal should never be popular, like Dimmu, because then it loses it's strength as an unique band.

BM is so extreme that it is just the end of the extreme, all new BM cant ever be better or worse, it only can sound a bit like other genres beside BM. that is why i think it should be the ideology what makes BM, true BM
06.07.2006 - 01:23
Niflhel
Account deleted
Written by [user id=6661] on 06.07.2006 at 01:00

it's never good whatever BM bands make, we're the most annoying target group i guess.
if the new BM sounds like the old BM, (like burzum) we find it unoriginal
if the new BM is completely different because the band is experimental, we get angry and say it isnt BM.

Speak for yourself
06.07.2006 - 01:49
GrimFilth
Account deleted
We're one of the most hatefull target groups, for fuck sake, do we have to piss off even our own culture....
06.07.2006 - 01:55
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Dont mix doom MB here and moust IO mean band a yes, bands b,c,d,e,f no, band g yes, bands h,i,j,k no GET IT, and well Acid no Im not and I just subber, Swedish alcohol politic makes me sick.
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
06.07.2006 - 01:59
GrimFilth
Account deleted
Swedish people made the rules to protect themselfes, you must be a great example of why the alcohol is so expensive there.
06.07.2006 - 02:02
Niflhel
Account deleted
alcohol is expensive in sweden ?
We (norwegians) travel over to sweden to buy cheap booze and cigs. :p

oh, and whats up with the letters and stuff? i dont get it
06.07.2006 - 02:27
-tom-
Mr FancyPants
can you all shut up. you're out-stupiding me
----
"This rudderless world is not shaped my metaphysical forces. It is not God who kills the children. Not fate that butchers them or destiny that feeds them to the dogs. It's us. Only us"

Read Watchmen.
06.07.2006 - 02:41
Ruines
Account deleted
Written by [user id=14742] on 06.07.2006 at 02:02

alcohol is expensive in sweden ?
We (norwegians) travel over to sweden to buy cheap booze and cigs. :p

oh, and whats up with the letters and stuff? i dont get it

As i said, he is terribly difficult to understand. Like all the things he want to say are mixing up in one big weird sentence. To him to sentence looks right, but god that makes my eyes bleed
06.07.2006 - 04:50
King Antichrist
Account deleted
In the sense of "true" black metal, there are NO religious black metal bands, You can have a black metal sound and look black metal, but at the end of the day black metal began as anti-christian music (Venom) and still is today with such great (true) black metal acts such as Dark Funeral, Satyricon, Carpathian Forest, Naglfar and Mayhem, Those are real black metal bands.
Black metal has always been about exclusiveness in the scene. In the booklet of Nemesis Divina Satyr writes an open letter to all the "losers" in the black metal scene, and i the early days Mayhem beat up and boycotted bands they considered unworthy.
Of course as time goes on this sort of behavior diminishes, but the attitude and philosophies remain among the true bands.

Written by [user id=14742] on 05.07.2006 at 20:20

Theyre as much black metal as metallica would be if hetfield started growling.

Well that's a pathetic and flawed statement if I ever did read one. Metallica have none of the aspects of black metal and they never did (aside from being in the metal genre, and being rebellious, to an extent).
06.07.2006 - 06:39
Ruines
Account deleted
Written by [user id=7583] on 06.07.2006 at 04:50

Written by [user id=14742] on 05.07.2006 at 20:20

Theyre as much black metal as metallica would be if hetfield started growling.

Well that's a pathetic and flawed statement if I ever did read one. Metallica have none of the aspects of black metal and they never did (aside from being in the metal genre, and being rebellious, to an extent).

You didn't understand her post. She didn't said Metallica is bm. She said Dimmu is as much bm as Metallica.

Translation for dummies : dimmu is not really bm
06.07.2006 - 07:02
King Antichrist
Account deleted
Obviously, but it's a poor example as Dimmu Borgir are clearly more of a black metal band than Metallica, stupid example.
06.07.2006 - 07:04
Southern Wind
Account deleted
What makes you listen to music???

I just feel many times in the mood for Black Metal... something heavy, aggressive, atmospheric, yet blisful, there's no an idea behind the music, it's just the music itself and how it sounds... nothing less nothing more....
06.07.2006 - 17:41
Niflhel
Account deleted
Written by [user id=7583] on 06.07.2006 at 07:02

Obviously, but it's a poor example as Dimmu Borgir are clearly more of a black metal band than Metallica, stupid example.

To prove a point.
None of them are BM, therefor dimmu simply cant be more bm than tallica

You cant say that avril is more bm metal than britney spears (as she technically would be, after all she uses real instruments) , it's the same thing.

You(or was it someone else?) said that dimmu has bm guitars and drums etc, not more than any other metal band out there
06.07.2006 - 18:17
Konrad
Mormon Storm
The first time I ever heard black metal I found it to be slightly repetitive. I think it was Dimmu Borgir or something. The Tremolo picking also kind of bugged me, and the blast beats weren't very impressive...not anything close to newer Behemoth, Kataklysm, Dew Scented or Vital Remains anyway...but I still knew little of the Genre. Then I was reading on the old Metalstorm the top 100 all time albums and found #1. To be Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane. I immediately downloaded the CD and the first true BM song that I heard and liked was Night's Blood. With time I grew to enjoy the entire album...but it had to grow on me. I was originally upset the rest of the cd lacked the beautiful Acoustic parts of "Night's Blood", but I found beauty in all different aspects of the album. Next I went on to further read about BM and got myself into the almighty EMPEROR. I still wasn't too impressed with "Anthems to the welkins at Dusk"...but I knew I liked it. Further listening allowed me to discover WHY I liked it. I have always listened to very early founders of Black, ex: Venom, Bathory, etc. But If you classified those bands today they would be older Thrash Probably. They lack the true atmosphere of bands' like Naglfar, Gorgoroth and Emperor.

I can there is a pretty big difference between pure Black and Melodic Blackened Death...I will probably always follow the latter, but the atmosphere is much more evolved in pure BM, probably more than any genre of music out there. I still believe most of the so called "black" metal bands are pathetic and boring....but for TRUE black metal, it will always live on. Basically, it just takes time to get into something new and very musically technical and advanced. No one is going to like Opeth immediately, but the more you listen the more you grow to know WHY you love it so much. The same goes with good, true BLACK metal.

On a side note, I'm a Christian and really haven't found any problems with the Genre itself. Some of the early performers sure knew how to take things to extremes, but I'm sure I would have assisted with most of the church burnings myself. The name of Christ has been destroyed by greedy and filthy "christians" using him as an excuse for their wars and murderings. Therefore any Christian reading this should not immediately stray from Black Metal, as the fundamental lyrics are not Christian, but not really Evil either. I'm sure most of you will disagree, but being against Christ or any religion for that matter isn't EVIL...as long as you are a good, true person. But I don't mean to get philosophical, that is for another forum...BM RULES!
----
Brujerizmo!
06.07.2006 - 18:19
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
one more think what makes me listen BM are winter, eep rainy autumn, cold weather and darkness, when I feel more lolyness, well when outside are tempreture in minussI dont go outside, even weeks so when I take some BM album cover it takes me in liltle journy of fantasies, it(BM) kill my louliness, yeah lolyness makes me love bm, I hate be loulym but I love it same time.
----

apos;'
[image]
06.07.2006 - 18:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Hey Konrad well firt time I read in bock, or news paper about BM, and some names of bands, what i never had hear, but Dimmu Borgit was firts BM band what I hear, because names Emperor, Arcturus wasnt sounds so funny, but firts BM video what I saw probobly lafing but it was Cradle of Filth ''Her Goust In Thge Fog'' it was in deep 90ties and I realy think thay are from Norvay, just liek My Dying Bride, and I was suprised leither ewhen I discovere thay are from UK
But I hera one band from Norvay it was some 23 minutes of ambient soun in Total Rock radio when oen guy send CD to Crusshers Metyal Mayhem

Yeah Bathory, Venom, Sodom, Mercifull Fate,Kind Diamond sounds liek thrash, but in that time it was black metal, BTW some peole call Motley Crue in 80ties to BM, just like Morbid Angel.

I dont like Gorgorot and Nagflar its to satanic and covers, when I lock to VBM bands I just lock to album covers, if there are some kind of mistery like Judas Iscariot its ok, but if there is montset, well I dont wanyt joun into that kind of journey.
----

apos;'
[image]
06.07.2006 - 18:35
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Written by Bad English on 06.07.2006 at 18:30

Yeah Bathory, Venom, Sodom, Mercifull Fate,Kind Diamond sounds liek thrash, but in that time it was black metal, BTW some peole call Motley Crue in 80ties to BM, just like Morbid Angel.

Agreed
----
Brujerizmo!
06.07.2006 - 18:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Konrad on 06.07.2006 at 18:35

Written by Bad English on 06.07.2006 at 18:30

Yeah Bathory, Venom, Sodom, Mercifull Fate,Kind Diamond sounds like thrash, but in that time it was black metal, BTW some peole call Motley Crue in 80ties to BM, just like Morbid Angel.

Agreed

I had read even led Zeppelin, Black sabbath ha called Black Metal, because of dark lyrics, attiutude, lock, cross, pentagrams Tonni Iommi wars pentagram and I had hear platy shity farrytales what sick paernts told about AC/DC

But about sounds well maybe even nowdays King Diamond can be heavy metal, hope nobody wont call it power
----

apos;'
[image]
06.07.2006 - 18:40
Ruines
Account deleted
Congrats Konrad you just wrote a post full of bullshit.
06.07.2006 - 18:46
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Ruines maybe you can corect him n or me or yourself
----

apos;'
[image]
06.07.2006 - 18:52
Ruines
Account deleted
first black metal band in it's imagery : Venom
first black metal band in ideology and sound : Bathory

everything before that is not black metal, it's either trash (like Hellhammer) or metal that inspired black metal (like Mercyful Fate)

and Dissection never was true black metal, it's melodic death with some bm influences
06.07.2006 - 18:58
Konrad
Mormon Storm
As far as Dissection goes I pretty much agree with you. Which is why I said I'm more of a fan of Melodic Blackened Death. As far as Venom and Bathory go, so what if they were the first black metal bands. I know my history...It's just hard for me to compare them to the second wave of Black Metal bands like Mayhem, Emperor, Satyricon, Immortal, Enslaved...etc. I wasn't alive at the time when venom and bathroy first came out, and neither were you...so I understand that they are the ROOTS of Black Metal, just as bands like Led Zeppelin and Jimi Hendrix are the roots of other metal. I focus on not who started the Genre, but what the Genre has turned into. Although, it is important to know where it came from...I' m not stuck in the past.
----
Brujerizmo!
06.07.2006 - 19:03
Ruines
Account deleted
Bathory is not the roots of black metal, it is it's beginning. It did'nt inspired bm, it created bm. Do not mix things up. Nowadays black metal is not all symphonic and melodic as Emperor. It's raw and ugly like Bathory.
06.07.2006 - 19:05
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by [user id=14603] on 06.07.2006 at 18:52

everything before that is not black metal, it's either trash (like Hellhammer) or metal that inspired black metal (like Mercyful Fate)

and Dissection never was true black metal, it's melodic death with some bm influences

imagery what means this you eman how band lock in 80ties yes, I duno if Venom still use make up, I hawnt seen them live, only in TV studio and one video, I had hera albums, but never had seen them live

Yeah Bathory has bM spirit, also pagan, folk metal, thay can ispirate almoust all bands bands,

Mercifull fate, well I prefere Kind Diamont because of satanic lyrics, but music, well youre wright about it.

Agree about Dissection, its not BM, its death metal whit influencies and BTW band mambers has sitting in jail in past for church burning
----

apos;'
[image]
06.07.2006 - 19:12
Konrad
Mormon Storm
Ruines - Didn't Qurothon's later works involve more of Norse melodies?
----
Brujerizmo!
06.07.2006 - 19:13
Ruines
Account deleted
what i mean about venom's imagery is that they were talking about satan and had this dark look. They weren't serious tought, and they music was highly punk/trash influenced so it was nt completely bm yet.
06.07.2006 - 19:15
Lucas
Mr. Noise
Elite
Written by Konrad on 06.07.2006 at 19:12

Ruines - Didn't Qurothon's later works involve more of Norse melodies?

Quorthon later made 'Viking' metal. Also, under the name of 'Quorthon' some rock and roll, (real good).

For Viking metal, try Hammerheart and Nordland I & II
----
SLUDGE. DOOM. DEATH. Wait, what?

"The reason I'm running for president is because I can't be Bruce Springsteen." - Barack Obama
06.07.2006 - 19:18
Ruines
Account deleted
i already got all the Bathory albums don't worry about that. But i enjoy more the Graveland viking-era and lately as well i've discovered SIG:AR:TYR.

You guys should check this out if you like viking-era bathory.

www.myspace.com/sigartyr
06.07.2006 - 19:22
Niflhel
Account deleted
Written by [user id=14603] on 06.07.2006 at 18:52

and... the first black metal band to actually use that term about their music i belive was darkthrone?
Or atleast thats what fenriz claims, but he's nuts so i dunno

Written by [user id=14603] on 06.07.2006 at 19:03

Bathory is not the roots of black metal, it is it's beginning. It did'nt inspired bm, it created bm. Do not mix things up. Nowadays black metal is not all symphonic and melodic as Emperor. It's raw and ugly like Bathory.

Black metal can indeed be melodic
Can we please just forget that emperor released prometheus?
Emperor didn't even make it, Ihsahn did it pretty much all alone

(for those who didnt guess, Emperor one of my fav bands)